5 Important Wars That People Have Forgotten About

ADFSDF1996

War is horrible, there is nothing nice about war. Wars cause death and ruin lives. Here are some wars that people have forgotten. All this info is from what was taught in high school, books and websites.

1.) Russo-Japanese War

A war between Japan and Russia, it started in 1904 and ended in 1905. This war was a territorial dispute. Russia outnumbered Japan but Japan still managed to defeat Russia single-handedly. It was a sort of humiliating defeat for the Russians because the Russians viewed Japan as inferior. Tsar Nicholas the second called the Japanese "little yellow monkies", so Japan's victory against Russia silenced him. Many people agree that Imperial Japan's military was in it's prime in those days.

2.) Mongol invasions of Eastern Europe

The Mongol empire is a empire people always forget about. The Mongol empire was a group of nomadic tribes from Northern Asia; the Mongol empire was a very large empire that conquered multiple nations. The invasion started in 1223 and the Mongol reign lasted till 1240. The Mongols took over Russia and made it all the way to Eastern Poland. The Mongols were outnumbered but they still defeated their enemies which included Teutonic Knights, Knights Templar, Polish and Hungarian soldiers.

The Mongols utilized gunpowder as weapons, such as explosives, which gave them a advantage over their European foes. Western Europe wasn't invaded because the Mongol leader Ogedei Khan died from binge drinking, which caused the Mongols to retreat to their homeland. During the mongol occupations of Eastern and parts of Central Europe, many mongol soldiers(all males) had "sexual relations" with the local women. It's because of this that some Eastern and central Europeans look slightly Asian. The Mongols are also credited with introducing gunpowder to Europe.

3.) Mongol invasions of Japan

The Mongols attempted to invade Japan twice but both invasions failed due to the geographical location, climate and military of Japan. The battles took place in Kyushu. The Japanese fought battles amongst themselves prior to the Mongol invasions, so during the first invasions of Japan in 1274, the Japanese were unprepared. The Mongols out numbered the Japanese and used explosives. The Japanese had reinforcements that would have overwhelmed the Mongol invaders but they weren't near the battlefield, so the defenders needed to hold off the Mongols long enough until the Japanese reinforcements arrived. The reinforcements were not needed since there was a massive typhoon that devastated the Mongolian fleet which gave the Japanese a major advantage over the Mongols. The remaining Mongols were no match for the Japanese; the Mongol invasion was repelled by the Japanese.

During the second Mongol invasion of Japan in 1281, the Japanese were more prepared for the Mongol invasions, the Japanese built a defensive wall. After the Samurai repelled the Mongols, another typhoon devastated the Mongol fleet. The Mongols once again failed at invading Japan. These typhoons became known as "Kamikaze"(divine wind). In both invasions the Mongols only made it to some of the coasts of Japan. Strong Japanese resistance repulsed the Mongols. The Mongols were planning a third invasion but they cancelled it because it's said that they believed Japan was protected by a supernatural force.

4.) Spanish Civil War

A war that started in 1936 and ended in 1939; it was between the Spanish Nationalists (fascism) and the Spanish Republicans (various ideologies). The nationalists won that war; the Third Reich supported the Spanish nationalists while the Soviets supported the Spanish Republicans. As a result of the fascist victory, Spain became a fascist country and it stayed fascist until 1975.

5.) Winter War

A war fought between Finland and Russia. The war started in 1939 and it ended in 1940. The winner of this war was Finland, which defeated a larger Soviet army and Finland remained independent. Finland would face the Soviets in the continuation war, and the Finnish would lose some territory to the Soviets but Finland remained independent. Pictured below are the uniforms Finland used during that war.

These are wars that people have unfortunately forgotten about.

5
13

Most Helpful Girl

• Rainie_
    My great grandfather fought in the Winter War in Finland. That part of my relatives actually lived in a town in Finland that is now about 20 mins away from the Russian border, they actually lost 85% of the Jääski territory to Russia, but Imatra (my relatives town) somehow remained intact to Finland, if it hadn't I'd probably be considered part Russian now. 😅
    When my grandmother was only a kid she was taken to look at the dead bodies and identify her father. She was never really okay mentally ever since because of the trauma as it triggered psychosis. I don't know how or why they did body confirmations like that, but I can't ask her now since she's no longer alive, I don't think I would anyway as it would bring back traumatising memories.
    Also during that time a lot of Finnish children (including her) were eventually sent to Sweden, especially since her father was no longer alive. She was also split from her little brother at the time who ended up with another family.

Every time I visit my relatives in Imatra I can still feel the bitterness tbh, everyone is so silent like people barely talk in this part of Finland. 😅😅 And fun is a BIG no no. To be fair Im not so surprised. This area was hit hard.
    Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Guy

• Waffles731
    Actually a lot of people consider the winter war part of the second world war and the Spanish civil war to be part of it
    Is this still revelant?
    • The Spanish civil war wasn't part of WW2, though. Spain didn't participate in the war because it was too weak, but since Franco (the fascists) won, they did offer some help to Hitler. There's pictures of Franco with Hitler.

• Waffles731

@AleDeEurope
      It sort was,
      The Russians and the Germans used it as a weapons and tactics testing ground and as a proxy war.
      It could very well be argued that both the winter war and the Spanish Civil War were part of the second world war

• jacquesvol

@AleDeEurope Indeed. True about the Spanish civil war.

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

412
  • jacquesvol
    The allied invasion of Russia 1919-1920:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mC1bmzbgxY
    .
    The war of 1812:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMYezMwsuXs
  • Giacomanzo
    Very interesting take! Aside for the forth one, which I think is largely known (as you said, Francisco Franco ruled till ONE MONTH AFTER his death in 1975, having the others members of the party saying hevwas recovering to let the party keeping ruling) those are pretty non famous wars. I personally didn't know about the Russo-Japanese one, neither of the Mongolo-Japanese one.
  • SnowHearth
    My great great great grandmother fought during the Russian-Japanese War, she was on the Japanese side, she also fought during the 1st Sino-Japanese War.
    And my great grandmother fought for the Finish during the Winter war, but retired since she got pregnant with my grandmother. She had a brief retirement because they got trapped in Stalingrad when the Nazis attacked the city.

The Spanish Civil war was a proxy war between the Axis and the Allies, the Axis side won because they had developed military techonology, while the Allied were still recuperating from WWI and didn't want any armed conflict, in other words they weren't prepared for war, the main reason Europe would fall to the Nazis some years later (1939-)
    • Valkyrie1

Your great grandmother was a soldier around 1905 that is amazing!

• SnowHearth

@Valkyrie1 No, she was an assassin providing her services to who ever payed. Most of my ancestors have been professional assassins.

• Valkyrie1

That is really cool.

• AleDeEurope
    Wasn't expecting to see the Spanish civil war in here. Thanks to the civil war, Spain didn't participate in WW2, even though Franco was "friends" with Hitler, but we were too weak to enter a war, but that didn't stop Franco from sending a few men (very few) to fight for the Axis powers (they were sent to fight with the Nazis in the invasion of Russia. I think no Spanish soldier survived).

Also, the Mongols didn't just bring gunpowder to Europe, they also brought the black plague... accidentally, though.

Nice Take.
  • blutwolfe
    Battle of tours I Think its called, where France stopped the arabs from taking over Europe

Think France stopped a mongol invasion aswell but could be wrong

Everyone thinks france is a pushover lol
  • xXiTacoXx
    I knew about the middle 3 wars, but not the first and last. .3.
  • hellionthesagereborn
    I knew most of those but yeah, they are not really taught in schools like they should be.
  • Other_Tommy_Wiseau
    Couldn't resist 😂😂😂
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2qbCPBdRI_I
  • Aqualung
    Excellent piece bro, I'd like to add The Korean War (my Dad fought there). I knew of all of those wars. I wonder how many GenX and Millenials know that the unique look ( beautiful) of many Eastern Europeans is due to the Mongol Invasions, and how serious a threat it was to Western Civilization. And, what the significance (real meaning) of ""Kamikazi" is. But, it's not their fault, because they were never taught, and it's easy to not know history in the new world as we don't have 1,000 + year old buildings and history. What's the expression "Those who forget history. . ."
  • SlightlyCrazy
    Dat Sino-Japonese war dough... But yes good list dude !
  • Fathoms77
    Well done! :)
  • Saoirse_Nua
    Very enjoyable and educational take
  • Adigelunar
    thats nice
  • rjroy3
    And people say America likes war lol
  • Anonymous
    Cool mytake, some alternate history publicists estimate that if Genghis Khan had lived for just two or three decades more, his Empire would have been at least 30% larger (or more).

Factual Mongolian Empire: cosmopoliti.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/32.jpg

Hypothetical Mongolian Empire (if the Genghis Khan had lived about the age of 90-100 years old): www.alternatehistory.com/.../
  • Anonymous
    1. Yep, just like the Japanese would have defeated the Americans if it weren't for fugitive German scientists who brought Nazi nuclear technology to the USA.
    2. If only Ogodei have lived longer, all of the Europe would become a part of Mongolian Empire.
    3. Basically, typhoon saved Japan, without their climate and the fact that Japan is an insular country, they wouldn't stand a chance against the Mongols.
    4. Dark side of the Spanish history, Ernest Hemingway knew that...
    5. Stalin's stupidity backfired, unlike Stalins "Soviet Russia", Russian Empire was ruling Finland easily, the Finns were no match for a good military leaders and tacticians, which Stalin was not... but hey, everyone can make a mistake. However, you forgot about Vietnamese war, The winner of this war was Vietnam, which defeated a larger & better armed American army, and Vietnam remained independent ;)
    • ADFSDF1996

Some historians believe that the Japanese would have still defeated the Mongols even without the typhoon because the Mongols didn't have their horses. It was after the Samurai pushed back the Mongols that the typhoon hit. The biggest advantage Japan had was it's geographical location. The Mongols weren't too experienced in naval warfare and the Japanese boats were more maneuverable than the Mongol's ships. The Samurai did board Mongol ships during the invasion. The Mongols only made it to certain coasts of Japan because they were pushed back. Further in the mainland were more Samurai making their way to engage the Mongols.

• ADFSDF1996

This is according to what my 6th grade world history teacher taught.

• Anonymous

Mongols could have transported their horses in the lower deck of their ships.
      I know that Japanese ships were more maneuverable, and of course the Mongols were
      inexperienced in the naval warfare, but Kublai Khan knew those facts too, so their prime goal would be - disembarkation of their cavalry somewhere on the Japanese coast.
      I suppose the Japanese would also use Ninjas ;)