7 Things You May Not Know About Disney

Luci92

I have a personal interest in Disney as both a brand and a company, I've done both of my major school research projects on Disney, so I figured, why not share some of what I've learnt?

I’ve tried to keep it varied and mix in a few cool facts along with a few details about the business side of things.

7 Things You May Not Know About Disney

1. Cats, cats everywhere

There are over 200 feral cats that roam the Disney Park at night, which are tolerated as they've been incorporated into the 'pest management program', meaning they hunt down the mice and rats on property. They're given food and places to sleep, as seen below.

7 Things You May Not Know About Disney

2. It's a rich man's world

Former Chief Executive Officer Michael Eisner, took home $1.4 billion in compensation between 1993 and when he retired from the helm of the entertainment giant. That works out to $9.54 a second, 4 cents more than what the lowest payed Disney worker recieves per hour. Current CEO Robert Iger raked in 26.21M for 2015, which works out to be $104,840 per day for 250 working days.

3. Media mogul

According to this infographic from Statista, Disney is the second largest media company in the world based on revenue from 2014 data.

7 Things You May Not Know About Disney

A Business Insider article published May this year reveals that Disney is still in second place, still following behind Google. Check out the article here: The 30 biggest media companies in the world.

4. Heil Hitler

During WWII, the U.S. and Canadian governments commissioned Disney to produce several training and propaganda films. One of these shorts was an Academy Award-winner, called “Der Fuehrer’s Face,” which featured Donald Duck.

Watch the film short below.

5. A big ass company

In Forbes' Global 2000, a ranking of the world’s largest companies, Disney comes in at #71. To help you put this in perspective, this is 12 spots above Coca-Cola.

6. Valuable as shit brand

On Forbes most valuable and powerful brands list, Disney is ranked at #8, one spot above McDonald’s!

7 Things You May Not Know About Disney

7. Show me the money

Looking at a breakdown of where Disney's revenue comes from, Disney's biggest buck is actually in media networks, as opposed to parks and resorts which most people would assume the money is.

7 Things You May Not Know About Disney

Hope you enjoyed and learnt something you didn't already know about Disney! :)

7 Things You May Not Know About Disney
11
4

Most Helpful Guy

• JRICHARDS1996
    Interesting. I had always known that Disney was a fascinating company but I did not know all of this. One thing in particular that interested me was the World War II propaganda. I recall watching a few military oriented - and wildly racist - Donald Duck cartoons featuring the Japanese.
    Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Girl

• juliaanita
    I am such a fan of Disneyland, and the movies, of course. I always knew that it was a wealthy company-this proves it.

I Still love Disneyland though. Happy memories with my dad when I was a little girl:)
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

310
  • Red_Arrow
    Michael Eisner's pay worked "out to $9.54 a second, 4 cents more than what the lowest payed Disney worker recieves." That means the lowest paid Disney worker is paid $9.50 a second. Very, very rich people, these lowest of the Disney workers.
  • Sholax
    Just realized that disney owns ESPN. I guess guys never truly grow too old to watch disney.
    (✿◠‿◠)
  • 

• danii_024
    you forgot Walt Disney was an anti-Semite.

Though I guess that's more reflective on him as a person not necessarily the company.
  • hotstuffSRD
    Good job
    But I didn't read it
    Next time write something interesting :P
    • Luci92

Shut it, you :P

• 😂 oh c'mon
      You're interesting
      So write something interesting
      Guys don't like Disney you know

• Luci92

I don't want guys attention :P

• Tvana
    Great article. I live in Orlando and Disney is the only reason that this city exists.
  • Marinepilot
    They are brutal to do business with.
  • bruce3
    good job
  • Adigelunar
    good takee
  • SlightlyCrazy
    Ah the veil yet magical Disney corp
  • MissSakura
    thanks for sharing!
  • GoldCobra
    Wow that #4 one I didn't know. Nice take
  • Blitzkrieger
    Cool mytake.