Christmas 'Down Under' ~ An Aussie Christmas

Luci92

With Christmas on the way, I thought I'd share what this holiday is like for me and many other Australians, especially because it's in the summer time.

Honestly, we do Christmas like most Western countries would, except with a few extra little twists here and there to suit the season. As Australia is extremely multi-cultural, you'll find many people do things a little differently with their own traditions, but I've tried to keep this as objective as possible.

Decorations

Most people put up a Christmas tree that usually coincides with the local Christmas Pageant (which I'll explain later) and it's not uncommon for houses to be draped in colourful lights either.

In more recent years, tinsel and other interior house decorations seem to have gone out of fashion, but I do see the occasional house sporting a wreath on the door.

This is a bit 'Pinterest perfect' but florists do sell these gorgeous wreaths made with native flora:

Some Aussies take their Christmas light decorations pretty seriously, with local Councils holding competitions, and entire streets going all out for a display that can attract hundreds.

You'll find that most major cities have a 'destination light show town' where the residents go all out with the Christmas lights, in which families go for night-time drives to see in and around the Christmas period.

Food

One of my favourites :P

Christmas meals in Australia means shellfish, hands down. I cannot recall any previous Christmas where prawns haven't been present. Lobsters are also a hot commodity around this time, that is, if you can afford the $150 a kilo price tag.

As for the birds, my own family likes to mix it up with roast turkey, chicken or sometimes even smoked ham; no two years are exactly the same in terms of the menu.

Salads as you can see in the picture are also very common, with lots of different types to suit everyone. The salad that always makes an appearance in my family is my mother's mango, cranberry and bean sprout salad which I'd swear on.

Cherries are a given as Christmas is smack bang in the middle of our cherry season, same goes for mangoes.

Dessert in almost every household is an Aussie pavlova, topped with fresh fruit and cream. Check out a recipe here.

It wouldn't be a proper Australian celebration if it didn't have the booze, and Christmas is no exception. I don't believe eggnog has ever been popular in Australia, but if it has, I've taken no notice of it. We tend to stick to our champagne and sparkling shiraz, and you'll find many people will crack open a few bottles of beer as well.

Tradition

The Christmas party/meal itself may be a barbeque, or held in the backyard or a picnic on a beach. My own family rotates whose house we hold our Christmas day celebrations at, although my house is a favourite due to the swimming pool. It doesn't get much better than good food and company, perfect warm weather and a dip in the pool to follow.

Christmas also coincides with the school summer holiday break, so it's not uncommon for families to celebrate Christmas away from home either.

The big events of the Christmas season are the Carols By Candlelight. These began in Melbourne in 1937 and are outside concerts in the warm summer evenings where people sit on blankets, light candles and come together to sing Christmas carols. Most cities have a concert and two major ones are televised across Australia from Sydney and Melbourne. Christmas Eve wouldn't be the same without Carols by Candlelight.

Anyways, this is just an overview of what a traditional Aussie Christmas looks like, I hope you enjoyed, and if you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

28
15

Most Helpful Girl

• mutedaisy
    Is duck a common bird to eat in Australia? Sometimes my family will substitute turkey for duck, because they heavily dislike the gigantic bird.
    Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Guy

• Waffles731
    Christmas without snow is weird
    Is this still revelant?
    • QooLipBite

We get that she every year 😂 like its HOT AF during December and everybody goes to the beach be walks around almost topless. It's sunny ;)

• SuitAndTie

Haha I agree. Or at least cold weather.

• abc3643

" Christmas without snow is weird"

Get used to it... global warming...

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

1427
  • MissFabulous
    Great Mytake, I really enjoyed it. :) Carol by CandleLight sounds really fun! The food sounds good too, I haven't tried shellfish but the Austin pavlova sounds good too. Thanks for the Aussie experience, I hope to visit Australia one day! :)
    • Luci92

Welcome! Thank you :)
      And definitely come visit ahah

• Your welcome. :)

• TadCurious
    Thank you for sharing how Christmas is celebrated down under! I had to look up "shiraz" and "pavlova," but I'm better for having done so! Haha Probably the hardest disconnect for people who celebrate Christmas in the Northern Hemisphere is the reversal of the seasons for you guys. So much of Christmas iconography is centered around winter. But you guys make it work in a very unique and interesting way! After all, who really needs a sleigh ride in the snow, right? lol
  • SuperNovaRoyalty
    Finally, a take about AUSTRALIA!
    I swear, everything is all about snow during Christmas, but what about a barbeque at the beach?
    Srsly though, this is a great take.
    • Luci92

Aw cheers :)
      I always write takes about Australia lol

• BaileyisDarcy
    Aussie Aussie Aussie!

My family is a little weird, so I've never experienced a true blue Aussie Christmas, but I've been invited to my boyfriends family Christmas dinner, so maybe this year!
    • Luci92

Oi oi oi!
      I hope you like it! :)

• Library
    You make me wanna live in Australia. I want to visit for Christmas.
  • Octavius
    lovesanta.com.au/.../santa_2_small.jpg

If you're naughty instead of coal you get an inland taipan in your stocking
  • Phoenix98
    Techicnally that would be true since Christmas was orginally a pagan holiday pagans worshiped gods and demons (hell) so down udner is a more accurate term.

Also Christmas without snow is unnatural even the pagans had snow when they did it.

I prefer our Christmas but yours is cool to.
  • MeghanL
    I did enjoy! Thank you for sharing.

I must say that Christmas dinner at poolside does seem a little odd to me. Where I live Christmas is in the wintertime. It's usually cold with snow on the ground!
  • eurochick
    I did enjoy my only aussie Christmas at Bondi beach surrounded by British and german tourists 8 years ago. The only problem is it was so hot it didn't feel like Christmas.
  • meatballs21
    I'm told that cricket on the beach is another tradition!
  • BubbleBoy69
    I'm a bit curious. How accurate is this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqF9v_BvdaE
    • We are not THAT laid back about shit.

But I won't deny we're not nearly as fucking stupid as they made Americans look XD

• Luci92

@BaileyisDarcy lmao exactly what she said

• Tarvold
    For the past decade now, I've been trying to start a family tradition here where something must die on Christmas day for our meal.

As you can imagine, it hasn't been very popular.
  • JRICHARDS1996
    Aussie Christmas sounds fun and interesting. Especially having lights up on your house in the middle of summer. Have you ever gone to the beach on Christmas?
  • WhereAmI
    Wow! $150/kg of lobster when I can find it locally here in New England for 1/10 that price. Very interesting mytake when I just thought you sat around the tele drinking Fosters and watching Mad Max and Crocodile Dundee movies. :-p
  • Cosytoasty
    A BBQ for Christmas sounds like a sweet idea. If it's not going to be a fluffy white snow, I'd rather it be warm and sunny.
  • springocelot
    sounds fun! :)
    a nice change from the usual Christmas up north
  • Redstang88
    I know I'm not the first to say this, but Christmas without snow would feel wrong. Cool take though. Looking forward to going down there.
  • IceCubedude
    the same as how we celebrate Christmas, usually its cold not hot but yea a bbq, at someones house, family gathering, chocolate and dessert.
  • JohnDoe3000
    You forgot the part where you put the tree upside down ;-)
  • Saoirse_Nua
    I have always fancied the idea of having a hot weather Christmas at least once
  • howardque
    Very interesting take! Christmas down under summer style
  • douride2
    Still for myself it just wouldn't be Christmas with out the snow.
  • GoldCobra
    Warm weather you say? Interesting. I liked the shellfish for dinner. And that one house that was decorated with all of those lights
  • SuitAndTie
    Have yourself an Aussie little Christmas
    Let your heart be light
  • smahala1991
    Do you all also make treats and cookies like we do here in America
  • neoagent1
    Never would have guessed shellfish being a tradition but $150 for a lobster? WOW.
  • legalboxers
    sounds nice but being born and raised in NYC, dont think I can change that.
  • Melody96
    I don't like Christmas, and I don't like this heat! 😩
    • abc3643

Where in Australia are you? Perth? Melbourne? Canberra? Sydney? Brisbane? Darwin?

My friend's girlfriend in an Australian from Brisbane who now lives in New England USA. She's trying to get used to cold winters and wintery Christmases

• redeyemindtricks
    It should just be summer all the time, everywhere.
    • Luci92

I would fully support that.

• Hai_tis_E
    Pavlova is a kiwi dessert lol...
  • SlightlyCrazy
    Can I spend it with your family? Mine sucks
  • mostwomenshouldstfu
    What about all the Fosters?
  • Red_Arrow
    lol. Now this really answered my question. :-)
  • Triss
    I wanna live in australiaaaaaaaaa
  • bruce3
    awesome
  • Adigelunar
    nice one
  • danii_024
    Aussie Pride
  • MissSakura
    very nice take
  • Marinepilot
    I'd like Christmas Down Under.
  • NightOwl8801
    Cool , you Aussies really go all out
  • hotstuffSRD
    Good job
    Was a bit interesting 😂 LOL