What it's like being a body purist

ThatJarHead

Hey, everybody!

It's everyone's favourite egalitarian psychologist! One thing, a lot of you don't know is that I'm a body purist. Don't know what that is? That's because not many people do! Allow me to explain.

A body purist is someone who believes the human body should be untainted/unmodified. As such I believe that tattoos, piercings, and plastic surgery "taint" the body and make it un-pure. Though I don't personally demonise people who do get tattoos, piercings, etc but I don't take part in it personally, and I don't agree with it.

What it's like being a body purist

So here's what my day looks like.

I wake up, go to my volunteer work, the person I volunteer for has multiple tattoos. It makes me sick to my stomach. His younger sister comes into the shop, she has multiple piercings and multiple tattoos. It actually makes me upset. I don't believe children should be allowed to do such things to their body, ever. But I don't comment out of respect.

It's a weird phobia to have. I'm just disgusted by piercings and tattoos. I've always been that way. I don't know why. I've learned how to keep quiet about it because apparently, people are very defensive about their tattoos and other body modifications. That's something I had to learn very quickly.

The only reason I share this little tidbit of information is to give you more insight into who I am and to maybe point out to other people with this particular issue that they aren't alone.

Anywho,

Thanks for reading!

Cheers!

~Jarhead

What it's like being a body purist
2
2

Most Helpful Girl

• justagirl5
    What about ear piercings? I have my ears pierced and have been thinking of getting a second piercing, both in the ear lobe. I know lots of people don't like "abnormal" piercings, but are ear piercings okay for you? I'm not trying to be rude, just legit curious:)
    Is this still revelant?
    • I don't like them but they are a lot more tolerable than other piercings like lip or nose. Probably because so many people have them.

Most Helpful Guy

• MysteriousDarkness
    Why does it upset you if someone else has at least one tattoo and or piercing let alone multiples of one or the other? What would you do if you had a child that one day since turning 18 got a tattoo and or piercing?
    Is this still revelant?
    • If they were over the age of 18 and weren't living in my house then they're more than welcome to and I wouldn't treat them any differently. Though, I would be vocal about my disapproval.

• As for WHY? I don't entirely know. Just kinda always been this way.

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

11
  • DrPrankenstein
    What about fat?
    • Fat isn't a body modification. It's something that happens naturally and has a viable evolutionary purpose. Basically, it's natural and serves a natural purpose. So it's alright by me!

• Anonymous
    "It's a weird phobia to have."

Yup ^^

I don't don't personally like tattoos, body piercings or plastic surgery either, but it sounds to me like you have a bit of a problem and could benefit from some counseling.
    • No amount of counselling can fix it. It just is what it is. It's not a crippling phobia, just sometimes an annoying one. With so many people who do it in the world.