Why Tattoos and Piercings Are an Act of Barbarism

Anonymous

This i can predict will become quite controversial but I hope it becomes thought provoking, especially for a new generation that inherited certain "traditions" from its predecessors, without testing them first, through the filter of discretion and humane ideals.

Have you pierced your ears as a teen? Who hasn't right? Maybe your mother/parents did it for you when you were a child. Or even earlier, as an infant. What is the difference betweet that and these cultures that the chop the girls' clitoris or the boys' penis? Not much actually. Lets see a bioethical definition. Whatever intervention on the human body is: 1)irreversible. 2)painful or damaging in any way, and its not meant for medical healing, is an act of barbarism. Pure and unadulterated animosity against another human being or even one's self.

I can already see your faces, if you are a parent that "helped" your kid to "make that choice" of being pierced, aka you made that choice for it, and i bet its a quite unpleasant expression. But i cannot sugar coat the truth. "Its fashion" you'll say. Or... "everyone does it". In my country they even have a saying "compared to beauty pain is insignificant". Which is a very perverse saying in my opinion and betrays a frightening, overbearing vanity and deification of human appearence with absense of reason or humanity.

But this saying permeats and describes the "beauty culture" almost globally. Thus we see the Japanese that forced their girls to wear super tight shoes that hindered the development of their feet. Cause according to their perverted stadnards of beauty the feet of a woman should be extremely small. Or other acts of barbarism like in the victorian era when girls were forced to wear extremely tight corsets that were damaging and deforming to their vital organs' occupying space.

Or these African women who are forced to wear these rings that elongate their neck. And if you remove them, their neck cracks because of atrophy, so it can only go upwards from then on. All these are acts of animosity which we have made a social contract, based to what each society views as acceptable, to be considered tolerable or even desirable. And if its the "others" that suffer it/do it, thousands miles away from us, who cares right? Not right.

Its sad how society today, while preaches its supposed intellectual and technological superiority recreates more persistently than ever, an animalistic, barbaric depiction of the human species. One we see in movies and documentaries and laugh at/pitty, big bones piercing ears and noses of wild people, we see now "developed countries' " people to desire to pay to be deformed like that with modern materials instead of "bones". Resulting in, its extreme expressions, to almost unrecognisable as humans, modern looking cannibals.

You will say: how can the mutilation of a woman's clitoris, even be seen as equal to an "innocent" ear piercing. Well if you knew about traditional chinese medicine and acupuncture, the practicioner asks you if you have pierced you ears. Why? Because even the soft part of your ears is connected according to their practice with its equivalent vital organ/function/part in the body. So you've already damaged for them the equivalent/connected part. In a chinese court i could even sue you accusing you with a crime against a human being if you pierce your daughter's ears. In the future, if we develop at all as a civilization that is, hopefully the laws will be even much more sensitive and conscious with these existential and humane matters.

Ever wondered why we use gold for ear piercings? Because the poor human body sees the intrusion as a pathogen and tries to heal the area. And the dangers of infections and irritations are immense. Even gold is irritating for some children and their body doesn't take it well.

Then we have tattoos. The frenzy of our era. Its considered so "cool". Almost everyone does it so why not me, right? Millions of young girls and men damaging their natural beauty and body, making it an ugly canvas of toxicity and abnormality. And i won't even get in the usual rational argument of what if you hate it in a month or a year. Or what will you do if your body changes and its smoothnes deforms.

Want to make a henna tattoo that lasts for some weeks? No problem with me. Want to make a normal, permanent tattoo though? Houston we have a problem. How do you think exactly the ink is permanent on your skin and your body fails to regenerate the area? Because the inks contain heavy metals that have necrotic properties and hinder the tissue regeneration. Yet almost everyone pays ridiculous amounts of money to mutilate themselves.

And the usual poor excuses:

1) "Its to remember a person I love."

Thats a superficial, lazy and insulting in the memory of the person way to do it. Want to remember a person you love? Keep their remembrance in your heart. Keep their words and actions and perpetuate their message and offering to the world. Thats how you keep someone always with you.

2) "I love the X message/phrase."

Same thing. Make it a way of life. Make your very living example a shouting testimony of this idea.

3) "I like it aesthetically."

Well I dont. In a more developed culture this right now seemingly ridiculous argument, wouldn't be a laughing matter at all. If it messes with my own sense of aesthetics, and invades my own individual right to not have to watch an act of barbarism, who gives you the right to force it on me?

4) "I want to express myself."

Want to express yourself? Write a book, provide an everlasting legacy to humanity, build some infrastructures. Dont make a useless memo than only your lover will see and that will fade with the rotting of your skin in the grave.

5) "I do it for fashion."

Would you do it to your pregnant wife/self? If you wouldn't do something to your infant, you shouldn't do it to yourself either. It's a small thing you'll say. We begin from small acts of barbarism/animosity to gradually get to the level of full fledged strategically planned genocides. And what were tattoos anyway? Society is perfect in forgetfulness. Tattoos where invented to mark people like animals and reduce them to prison numbers in concentration camps and jails. And now you take that horrible, blood drenched symbol, and mark your body with it. Cause its "cool".

And have you noticed the pattern in both these practices? There is usually no satiation to it. The addict wants to do more and more. More piercings, more tattoos, like they are never satisfied with their own image. I have noticed this pattern in several of my friends.

That, is not born to grow into.... that thing below.

Whoever finds my take exaggerated or extremely prude or alien to the "enlightened modern values", remember that all genociders in the history, began with the small things. Give no space to barbarism. Feed with nothing, the monster of human violence. Cause it grows beyond control, one blood drop at a time. And one sacrifice of human dignity on its altar at a time. Saying "I do it to just my body, i can do whatever i want to my body. My body belongs to me". WRONG! your body belongs to Humanity. And you have responsibility towards it. YOU might not care for enacting an act of barbarism against your own body, but I care.

31
20

Most Helpful Girl

• CHARismatic110
    As someone with both piercings and tattoos, I'm inclined to dislike this Take. You're entitled to your opinion, but at the end of the day that's all it is. It's not going to change anything. I'm still going to get my sleeve done next month. I'm still going to get another set of holes pierced in my ears as well.
    Is this still revelant?
    • I don't think it has a direct correlation to any of that stuff though. Tattoo are forms of expression to me. It's no different than someone drawing or painting a picture. Me having them doesn't mean that my IQ is lower or that I lack values and morals. And I'm a very spiritual person, so there's that.

• Anonymous

there is quite the correlation there. thats the pattern i noticed in people till now. now if you are an exception to the rule... .

• I mean I can't judge everyone else, I just know myself.

Most Helpful Guy

• Waffles731
    "Thus we see the Japanese that forced their girls to wear super tight shoes that hindered the development of their feet. "
    That was the chinese.
    Second who the fuck cares, if people like getting tats or piercings let em
    Is this still revelant?
    • Waffles731

"3) "I like it aesthetically."
      Well I dont. In a more developed culture this right now seemingly ridiculous argument, wouldn't be a laughing matter at all. If it messes with my own sense of aesthetics, and invades my own individual right to not have to watch an act of barbarism, who gives you the right to force it on me?"
      Is someone physically forcing you to look at it?
      If so, then you really have other problems,
      if not, then you are just complaining about other people who have done nothing other than just live their own life

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

1930
  • lumos
    I agree that these things should not be done to children without their consent. But I do think that comparing a pierced ear or a little tattoo to both male and female circumcision extremely exaggerated. Female circumcision is pretty much exclusively performed in underdeveloped countries. And due to the lack of hygiene and correct scientific knowledge/tools, it might end in death or permanent damage to the labia/vaginal area that causes severe discomfort for the rest of the woman's life. As for male circumcision, it is often claimed to be done for medical/hygienic reasons, which is an outright lie. The only medical reason to get rid of the foreskin is if it's too tight, which in the majority of cases, it is not.
    There is a huge difference between letting your teen get their ears pierced, vs. forcing your unknowing infant to go through a potentially life-risking "medical" procedure that they never consented to, and don't even need. If you think those two are comparable, then you are seriously delusional.
    As far as I'm concerned, even in more modern societies, having your entire body tattooed/altered/pierced was never and is still not acceptable. Everything in moderation. Getting your ear pierced or getting one tattoo done is not harmful, you're not risking your life (unless you go to a sketchy place that doesn't take care of their needles and if you have absolutely no knowledge of how to treat a tiny wound) and it certainly isn't comparable to the extreme pictures you posted in this take.

"How do you think exactly the ink is permanent on your skin and your body fails to regenerate the area? Because the inks contain heavy metals that have necrotic properties and hinder the tissue regeneration"

Had you actually bothered to google, you would find that what you said there is far from the truth. This is the truth: "When you look at a person's tattoo, you're seeing the ink through the epidermis, or the outer layer of skin. The ink is actually in the dermis, which is the second layer of the skin. The cells of the dermis are far more stable than the cells of the epidermis, so the tattoo's ink will stay in place, with minor fading and dispersion, for a person's entire life."
    I. e. the second layer of a person's skin doesn't even regenerate as often as the first skin. The tattoo isn't preventing the regeneration whatsoever. And that's a fact. This is why a tattoo only fades a little with time. The regeneration process of the dermis is naturally slower.
    • lumos

As for points 1 through 5, I’m sorry to say but your opinions don’t really matter. People can do whatever they want with their bodies and that’s something you’ll just have to deal with. Don’t like it? Don’t look. You don’t get to dictate what reasons to get a tattoo are acceptable or not. Only the person who gets it, gets to have their own reasons for it. You say ”If it messes with my own sense of aesthetics, and invades my own individual right to not have to watch an act of barbarism, who gives you the right to force it on me?”
      Well, I’ll use your own argument against yourself there: “is any body forcing you under the threat of a gun on your head?”
      No? Then suck it up and let it be. And to say that everyone who gets a piercing or a tattoo gets addicted is nonsense. I have 2 ear piercings and one tattoo. Not planning on getting any more. And many other people are like me.
      Also: acupuncture is not real. It’s a pseudo-science that is largely inconsistent that relies on placebo.

• lumos

So unless you can cite some actual scientific sources, your traditional Chinese medicine and acupuncture gives absolutely zero value to your argument.

• Anonymous

wrong. the skin tries to heal the area thats why you have inflamation and get swollen when you curve the tattoo. from scientific american: some inks used for permanent tattoos contain mercury, while other reds may contain different heavy metals like cadmium or iron oxide. These metals—which give the tattoo its “permanence” in skin—have been known to cause allergic reactions, eczema and scarring and can also cause sensitivity to mercury from other sources like dental fillings or consuming some fish. While red causes the most problems, most other colors of standard tattoo ink are also derived from heavy metals (including lead, antimony, beryllium, chromium, cobalt nickel and arsenic) and can cause skin reactions in some people. its not that the process is slower its that its impossible for it to heal the toxic area. as for the 4000 years chinese medicine being pseudosciense to each their own. what if one day its proven that even your "innocent" ear piercing debalances some other

• Redstang88
    I don't see the issue with this. OK, when kids are young and can't consciously decide for themselves I suppose your concern is justified, but how is it any business of yours or mine once they're adults?
    I had a piercing for a while, I plan on getting a tattoo at some point, as far a I'm concerned, its my damn choice.
    • Anonymous

damn.. "choice"? what choice? the herd mentality? the "cool image" thats has been programmed in your brain by rockstars and pop "idols"? the will of the tattooing/piercing industry? the socioeconomical conditions under which you were raised that formed your current comsotheory? how "yours" is yours exactly?

• Anonymous

mimicry? fashion? peer pressure? the need to fit in? mindless copying of your peers/kids your age? tell me more about how "yours" that choice is.

• Redstang88

The choice to do it or not, is well, just that. Is it influenced by outside factors? Sure, of course. So is everything else we do in our lives. Everybody is influenced by someone or something, including you.
      Everybody falls into the herd mentality at some point, even if it isn't necessarily the most common idea. Society has been around long enough that there are really no new concepts, chances are everyone's beliefs are a compilation of other people's ideas.
      You are not morally superior to ANYBODY because you choose to live YOUR life YOUR way.
      You do your thing, I'll do mine. Please don't respond, I am not getting into it with you.

• spoonman2014
    I agree you should leave kids out of tattoos and piercings and forcing someone to get one is terrible. However you sound like a 90 year old church goer. And a majority of people with tattoos do not look like that lizard/cat person you have pictured. There is a line but a majority of people with tattoo's do not cross it
    • Anonymous

i'm not what you described. can you really quantify violence? so is one impaling/piercing acceptable but 1000 arent? is one tattoo acceptable but whole body isnt? or are both violence no matter the amount?

• MaciJ
    You use the most extreme examples to make anyone who has their ears pierced or a tattoo feel like an animal. Your message is garbage and only an complete douchebag compares having a fucking tattoo to genocide. Seriously gtfo with this shit
    • MaciJ

This bish is such a troll anyway. Nobody could be this stupid

• Anonymous

why kid? because you had some yourself or you plan to? you think its not related with genocides? shall i remind you the nazis marked their prisoners with tattoos in their concentration camps? when people dwell in forgetfulness they are oblivious to the origins of their fashions. you need to start from small acts of violence to gradually decsent to complete animosity. you are the perfect candidate for a genociding army, when you are one wih the masses and blindly follow fashions.

• MaciJ

Keep going, I'm fucking dying 😆

• Metlahaed
    Aren't wearing make-up, waxing/shaving, dying your hair, haircuts, all acts of violence then?

"My body belongs to me". WRONG! your body belongs to Humanity. And you have responsibility towards it. YOU might not care for enacting an act of barbarism against your own body, but I care." LOL, oh the irony.

You are also very wrong about the history of tattoos. Anyway, call me barbaric but I want a girl with piercings and tattoos. And yes, I have several myself. But I didn't realize it was MY responsibility to make YOU feel comfortable in your skin. Actually, I'm glad my tattoos make you uncomfortable, teaches me your true colours.
    • Anonymous

don't wanna spoil this newfound sadistic pleasure of yours but they don't make me uncomfortable. i'm just against the idea. the other beauty practices you mentioned dont have the two conditions we stated: irreversible change. and damage. as for their history, yeah they were practiced by ancient savages as well. what great standards to look up to right? concentration camps, jails and wild tribes.

• Metlahaed

It is not new found I been getting pierced and tattooed since I was 16. I am proud of it, and quite frankly your opnion only means one thing to me; you shouldn't get tattoos.

You are lying, it does make you uncomfortable, someone who is comfortable with tattoos doesn't say something like "invades my own individual right to not have to watch an act of barbarism." And PS, you DO have the right to not watch it, stop hanging out in Tattoo parlous and google searching it, that is YOUR choice.

A lot of art is painful, it is creation, it requires sacrifice, it entails violence, it makes an eternal statement. It is not my fault you don't understand art. That being said, I am not trying to pretend that there aren't ugly tattoos or piercings. But the pictures you chose are the worst of the worst. The artistry in the tattoo industry id absolutely amazing these days.

You've also romanticized the human body, which is corporeal. We all age, the body is fleeting, we face mortality.

• Metlahaed

Tattooing and piercing is an acceptance of our own mortality and having control over it.

Also, control over your own body is literally one of the most basic human rights, I can't even believe you think you have a point on that.

• Anpu23
    First, lets start with the concept that I am beholden to humanity. You claim that I as an individual do not matter, only as I excist within the framework of the grater good. This is an age old argument, where does the rights of the individual end, and the rights of society begin? To go far one way on this scale we get anarchy and laze faire capitalism on the other end of the scale you get communism and fascism. The argument that individualism leads to fascism is a false premise.

In a tolerant society, individual choices are either embraced or excepted. People understand that others choices ultimately do not effect them. Yes they may be subjected briefly to these choices, but on the whole it's fleeting. Diversity adds interest. No one wamts a world where everyone looks and acts the same.

I agree that these decisions should be made by adults for themselves. But after adulthood as long as the individual is somehow productive then they can and should be able to express themselves however they choose (yes I support public nudity).

Ultimately your argument is fascist on its face. Therefore your concentration camp argument is false.
  • Browneye57
    As I like to say, tattoos are like a bumpersticker on a ferrari.

Your body is a temple - don't graffiti it.

Drilling holes in your body parts does not improve or elevate you.
    • cipher42

It does actually. Not objectively, but according to me. And when it comes to my body, my own informed opinion is really all that matters. Tattoos and piercings don't do any actual harm, and while they do cause pain it's up to me to decide whether the pain is worth the aesthetic improvement. So if you think tattoos or piercings are bad, don't get them. But don't fucking tell me that my choices about my body are not okay.

• Browneye57

@cipher42 I'm fucking telling you your choices about your body are not okay. What a goddam disaster. Go ahead, drill away - whatever blows your doors off.

There. That was easy eh? LOL

• cipher42

Well then you're an idiot and I don't think I need to take your opinion seriously. What if I told you that I think you having grey hair is wrong and not fixing it is not okay? That's pretty fucking stupid, isn't it? So are you honestly such a narcissist that you think it's up to you and you alone to determine what's right and wrong for someone? Whatever dude, if you wanna have your head that far up your own ass fine, but know that anyone with a grain of sense in their head is gonna see your idiocy for what it is.

• zombiebabe
    my parents got my ears pierced when i was 2 years old and now i have 10 piercings (counting both ears) and more to come... if you got a problem about piercings... its up to you... why come here and try and convince others to not do it? its perfectly normal to get piercings where i live... so grow up and get over it!!
    • Anonymous

yes it really is the smallest problem. we have WAY to go till people are in a frame where they won't even have to care about decorating their external appearence. especially like tribemen.

• zombiebabe

get a life

• Anonymous

i got a life. thats what i'm trying to share with the rest of you. i hope to one day see an advanced humanity. not one who still wants to resemble savages in 2017. and still believes in astrology!

• Sojex
    My Takes like this make me wish there was a thumbs down option
    • MaciJ

Definitely

• Anonymous

because they challenge your immature rushed choices? because they see under a different light what society has normalised? what are we ancient cannibals or prisoners?

• zombiebabe

agree

• Blitzkrieger
    I agree with you that if it happens unconsensually then it is a bad thing. I believe children should have the right to maintain bodiliy integrity. But where i disagree is if people do it consensually and as an adult let them do it. Its their own body.
    • Anonymous

This "individualism" is the poison that has devoured the west. Once the person seperates himself from others all kinds of sufferings begin. You are not born a human you become one. With your empathy, your cultivation and your offering. And your consciousness. and whoever becomes a human knows that first you need to become a co-human to be a human. It doesn't go the other way around. It is not "their body", its a possession of humanity.

• I find this co-humanity to be a form of herd behavior which i dont want to be a part of. But that doesn't mean i approve of barbarism or degeneracy.

• Anonymous

on the contrary, its the society of the "individuals" that is an easily controlable, and easily turned into a genociding nazi army for example. Humanity is the organic, peaceful, unity of enlighted and conscious humans that have understood the meaning of life. That we came here to offer what we are, not only what we have. That we live through the others. Life of no offer is no life at all. It is the opposite of herd mentality.

• 1truekhaleesi
    Are the baby pictures necessary? If you're trying to add cuteness, try dogs or cats. They're cuter. Other than that, it's their body not yours, so why the hell do you care?
    • Anonymous

because the hell you dont care. someone has to.

• There are bigger problems in the world. Flint, Michigan doesn't have clean water. But yes continue to get mad over someone getting a tattoo that doesn't affect your life or anyone else's in the slightest.

• And do your damn research on other cultures and what they consider to be beautiful. In some parts of Africa having a long neck is considered beautiful. And no they aren't forced to wear those things to elongate their neck.

• dazza0791
    to pierce a childs ears that is not able to speak up for them selves is out of order. But yeah i got my eras pierced when i was in my teens and since got other piercings.
    • Anonymous

and gained what? and achieved what? you could maybe survive if your plane fell in the amazon jungle and you were caught by a local savage. they'd might get you as one of them. but thats as far as i can think of it in terms of benefit.

• dazza0791

it gained me a uneak identity thats all i looked for when i had them done. im proud to be my own personal uneak self

• dazza0791

and yeah i got bullied for being different but hell with them i am who i am. but to force it onto a child who can't deffend or speak their own mind is sacrilage.

• jacquesvol
    • MaciJ

Tell me your joking?

• Anonymous

@MaciJ he isn't joking at all. it just seems the intelligence and wisdom of a 70 years old is whats needed to grasp what the youngsters can't get or dont want to get.

• ColinHarvey
    I like my tattoo... I thought it was cool... I guess I have to just get back on my 600cc and cry that no one likes me.
    • Anonymous

clap clap. you are potent enough for sarcasm. now take that intelligence one step further and contmplate on the utility of this fashion.

• I thought about it: sexiness.

• Anonymous

if you think you will become more sexy by adding some toxical ink on your skin you fail at logic. also if you wish to attract partners that have such standards you are in for a superficial relationship.

• MarkRet
    I'm ok with somebody getting A tattoo, or single ear piercings, but like everything else, some people just don't know when to stop. It gets to the point where it's freaky, and is a sign of mental illness. Kat Von D is a very beautiful woman, but even if she had only half of the tattoos she has, it would still be too much.

It doesn't say much in the bible about tattoos, only something about how God's followers should not decorate their bodies with images celebrating the dead (skulls?), like the pagans do. I wonder if when tattooed people die, and they're standing before God, will God view them as 'marked' individuals? Who knows?
    • Anonymous

i dont know about the bible but even from an ethical standpoint any form of violece even if induced to ones self is barbaric. what progress are they talking about? they constantly try to resemble primitive savages. its like the elite is mocking us and trying to make clowns of us promoting these human hurting fashions. as for the biblical view my educational guess would be that since body is considered the temple of the holy spirit, then any alteration is a defiling of the temple i guess?

• Back in those days the practice was that when a person would die, they would be cremated, the family would cut their skin and put the ash into the broken skin forming a tattoo, keeping the loved one with the family at all times. The bible tells them to quit the practice of keeping their relatives in their flesh not so much the tattooing part

• Anonymous

@spoonman2014 still hasn't Christ told them, gather the spiritual treasures that dont rot by rust and time? well this physical obsession/occupation sounds like vain practice for christians. i bet that those who study the bible will have several psalms and old testament quotes on body altering. these practices aren't new at all.

• Littlett25
    2 minutes ago I was talking about what other ears piercing to get so it evens out my double helix on the other ear lol
    • Anonymous

if making a hole to your body helps you in any way, please inform me to know what that was exactly cause i honestly want to know... . so your logic is you want to balance your ears? so if i chop my own ear like a modern Van Gogh, should i chop the other as well to achieve symmetry? sounds legit... .

• Littlett25

Well I just think they're pretty... and now I want my jewelry to be balanced. It's the same as balancing out an outfit. Idc if it's techniqually barbaric lmao, call me a barbarian idc

• Anonymous

cool. if you are so wise as to know what your self will like in 30 years from now. if you make all the permanent changes of your life so carelessly, like choice of marriage partner, or career or studies... then what can i say. viva las vegas.

• RhythmBlack
    No one is forcing you to get tattoos or piercings you know? If you had one done as a child, just don't wear earrings and the hole will gradually close. Tattoos are purely personal choice for the most part.

And tattoos and piercings are not on the same playing field as genital mutilation, neck elongation, tribal scarring, etc, just saying.
    • Anonymous

whats the treshold after which accepted violence begins? what is accepted violence? really? they aren't. aren't we both deep down barbarians? both us and the tribals? look what we do today, wars, bullying, domestic abuse, black metal concerts with crucified babies and decapitated pigs, football fans smashing each other. what people fail to see that my penultimate goal is to tackle this diachronical underlying inhumanity, not the superficial practices. although these practices as we proved aren't that superficial. they have quite the bloody background history... .

• You are really reaching when you are comparing tattoos and piercings to all those inhuman acts.

• JulieXO
    Are you seriously trying to compare genital mutilation to an ear piercing? Poking a needle through the earlobe is really not painful, and doesn't come with any permanent side effects. Also, unlike the labia and clitoris, it grows back together after a while.
    • Anonymous

so is violence quantified now? how many "grams of violence" does your moral compass embrace as acceptable?

• JulieXO

It's not violance though. The process isn't even invasive.
      Besides, it's just the culture we live in, we have our beauty standards just like all the generations before us. Saying it's bad is like saying cutting your child's nails is horrible because it's their body and you shouldn't do anything to it. Or like saying that dying your hair is bad because there's chemicals in the hairdye or whatever.
      Why do you even care what other people do to their bodies, it has little no effect on you.

• Anonymous

really? you a supposedely above average intelligent girl that went to medical school? and use such a fallacious example? nails? nails grow back. does cutting nails satisfy the two parameters we mentioned? irreversible change? and damage? no. none.

• Scrambledagain
    Luckily I'm a barbarian and my tattoo jar is almost full again. Gonna finish my sleeve.
    • Anonymous

anyone acts according to their brain capacity i guess.

• touché

... I think you need to look in the mirror and repeat that to yourself. While you at it, please google "black and white thinking" and "catastrophising thinking". They are a cognitive bias that you display in abundance.

• Anonymous

there is black and white only shades of gray. but as thick things as violence are concerned there is no room for tolerance.

• Purin
    Too much reading so >.>. Tattoos are not barbaric. It is art. When done right, it can be a really cool thing to have. You may just be talking about forced or excessive tattoos and body modification. But if an adult made a reasonable decision to have an art piece tattooed on them, it is not barbaric at all.
  • steveguitar
    If it's the person's choice, who cares. Kids want to do it because their moms and sisters did it. Besides most places that have modern technology are much less painful.

I think ear lobe guages are a bit weird no matter how small, but earring are fine
  • ThisDudeHere
    Much like circumcision or religion, it is only barbarism when forced on children. If grown adults want to draw on their skin, cut their skin, or believe in some faith then let them. But kids should stay out of it.
  • Neverrrmore
    What's really liberating is that I could care less that you care about my body. This take is ridiculous to say the least.

You don't get to decide the right or wrong way for someone else to remember a loved one. That's a grieving process and everyone does that differently. I have my deceased daughters name of my wrist because it helped me grieve. It helped me for what I needed at that time. That's not your choice to make.

You don't get to decide how people express themselves. Why should people live their life around your extremely exaggerated beliefs? Why should they not be allowed to do whatever they want to their body to express themselves or to learn to love themselves?

This take is a joke and I somehow get the feeling that you're the same woman from the deer question.
    • Anonymous

i'm sorry for the loss of your daughter, no words or grieving will ever be able to numb that tragedy. but a tattoo is not a way to handle the issue. every human is different for sure. but thats not how memories are paid due respect. did your daughter dream of building a pink, fluffy, happy world? build that world instead. now thats what i call a homage.

• You don't get to decide that. That's the bottom line. The facts. You don't get to decide that for other people. Take care.

• Vannuck
    The only moral issue I take with body modifications is when they are forced on to children... Outside of that it's a personal choice; wether or not it's a mistake that's up to the person who made that choice.
  • I don't care for tattoos or piercings... I think people do it as a rebellious act because it is not seen as pure and holy and thus it is seen as "cool" and being "your own person" not what the "norm" wants you to be... but it's just... not for me.
  • art84
    For me being a Christian, I think it's wrong to have tattoos and piercing on your body. Not into tattoos or piercing my ears or nose to look like a freak of nature.
  • JustinTheGreat
    The only thing i agree with is I don't think you should get your baby's ear pierced before they can give consent.
    Other than that, you're pretty stupid
  • Exterminatore
    Totally off topic. Only comment I wanted to make is the chick in the black with the tats is super hot and I love her art work. Any idea who she is?
  • HeckYeah
    You proved my point of why most people here are stupid. You have no reality of the real world.
  • Simpledanman
    I assume also then that you staunchly oppose male genital mutilation I. e. circumcision?

Either way, children shouldn’t get their ears pierced until they are old enough to actually think about it.
    And tattoos are legit. You sound like a dick however and I’m sure have never been to a decent party.
  • Shutupman
    Free will my friend, and a personal choice.
    Tattoo's can be works of art and have been a part of human history for the longest of times. It holds a lot of value for most people.
  • Vehii
    After reading this, I want to get another tattoo done even more
  • ACrazyHaggis
    Well you are right its a barbaric tradition of tattooing my local ancestors the Celts done back in the day, guess i just follow their footsteps with that tradition :P
  • SirenDep
    I agree it's not alright to pierce children's ears, especially if they don't want to or are still babies. And some piercings are more dangerous or painful than others. Yes, there are people addicted to piercings or tattoos, or use them as a means to hide insecurities, or cope with their life. Yes, it can get very extreme, with procedures that seem absurd, such as splitting your tongue.

But to go on such length as to condemn all piercings and tattoos, by saying that is an act of barbarism and discriminate against the people who got them? No! There are people who genuinely love that look. There are piercings that suit those who got them. There are tattoos that are a piece of art.
  • QuietFawn
    I like tattoos. It's their body, why should anyone tell them what they can and can't do with it?
  • ThisAndThat
    I don't like tattoos they make the skin look dirty. When I see a otherwise would be good looking girl with tattoos it totally ruins her looks.
  • ILoveChicks
    I seen many stupid My Takes and this one is no different than the other stupid My Takes I seen
  • Walrus_au
    When it comes to body modification my stance is simple.
    If the person being modified is an adult and able to make an informed consent to the modification, then they can fill their boots.

when the subject of the modification is a minor, or otherwise unable to give informed consent - THEN it is unethical and unacceptable in my view. And yes this very much includes circumcision.

Beyond medical necessity, there is never an excuse to take another's rights to their own body away by modifying them without consent.

That said - those who are adult and make their own decisions, it may not be to my taste, but there is no issue as far as I am concerned.
  • RomansToPhilemon
    Tattoos and piercings are actually quite satanic in nature. Their original roots come from Egypt and was a tribute to worshiping their many gods. It was also a symbol of atonement for self righteousness. This is also why you see people in almost every religion have some sort of beating of the skin to cause bleeding as a self sacrifice. Lot's of history behind it. But today, almost no one knows these things. I have a big tattoo unfortunately. Luckily though it's not an issue for salvation in the bible.
  • TheFlak38
    I agree with everything you say but almost all examples you gave are extreme and the people in question were forced to submit. Personally I have nothing against earrings or tattoos as long is looks beautiful. And obviously the photos you posted here are extreme examples of ugliness that make most people to freak out wether they have tattoos or not.
    I did my tattoos for me and not for others to see. I have them in spots where you can't see them unless Im wearing a t shirt where you can see only the one.
  • helloitsmethere
    ... You do realize that piercings are reversible right?
  • John_Doesnt
    Religion will always be weird and hurtful.
  • Abe90
    I'm gonna get a tattoo soon. I have to do it
    • Anonymous

is any body forcing you under the threat of a gun on your head?

• Abe90

Oh yea, the government is. I have a spy following me to make sure that I get it done.

But shhhhhhhhh, keep it confidential

• Anonymous

well you sounded like some urgency that really can't be helped is at hand... .

• Secretgardenblood
    Omg!
  • Anonymous
    Your pics in take are horrible n disturbing. Yeah I hate tattoos n piercing except nose pin piercing
  • Anonymous
    wow. you may be the most judgmental person I have ever read.
    Im not going to go on about how small minded you sound, because I have other points I want to make, but wow. You have a serious god complex.
    1 make shorter posts. or multiple posts. Not a book...
    2 ear piercings and cutting a child's penis ARE different. very different. The most obvious being that earring pierces are reversible... obviously you don't have one, but if you remove it for long enough it goes away... that doesn't happen with a penis or clit. second, piercings are safer. much much safer. yes ear infections happen, but there is no rational way to compare the damage they cause to the procedures of removing a sex organ... I understand that you might not think it is ethical to pierce a baby's ears because the child didn't make the decision. I can get that. But comparing it to that extreme is ignorant in my opinion
    3. tattoos. where do you come off saying wether someone should be able to have a tattoo or not, or if there reason is good enough. it does not have to be good enough for you. I don't know how to stress that enough. No one is forcing you to get it. or them to get it. It doesn't hurt you or anyone else. you make not think that getting a tattoo on your heart, perhaps with your dead brothers name, isn't a good decision. but if that is how that person wants to remember them how dare you judge that.
    Your body DOES belong to you. which is why you are the one held responsible for what you do. not 'humanity'
  • Anonymous
    I think we should just respond that he has ultimately convinced us of his rationale in an attempt to get him to fuck off with these Takes. Easiest way to get someone to fuck off is appease their power trips. Let me them believe their own shit.

I read one of his comments that he thinks outside of the box of out what's normal? You do realize your entire take is about conforming and rebellion. Which sounds about as normal as a walk down the oregon trail. Your take is the real reason people really dislike some religious fanatics, I rarely catch some agnostic going around doing this shit- ever.
  • Anonymous
    ugh seriously who cares? dose it affect you? no. you don't have to get tattoos or piercings if you don't want to but why dose it matter if other people do where not living in the stone age, people have the freedom to do whatever they want and if it bothers you so much go live in a igloo in Antarctica you won't have to see any "barbarians" there and thanks for wasting my time reading this piece of self righteous garbage
  • Anonymous
    Breathe. Not everything is about you.
    • Anonymous

you bet it isn't. anyone is noone on his/her own. thats why we are a Humanity. and thats why we can't act mindlessly and egotistically on our own.