Sexual Harassment and "The Rock Test"

So, I recently came across this article, The Rock Test: A Hack for Men Who Don’t Want To Be Accused of Sexual Harassment and I have several thoughts about it.

Sexual Harassment and "The Rock Test"

The article is basically a woman sharing her "life hack" on how men can avoid sexually harassing women (and avoid being put in situations where they could be accused of sexual harassment). The writer starts off by pointing out who the target audience is, men in the business world who may have frequent encounters with their female colleagues.

Are you a man confused on how to treat the women you work with? Do you feel like if you can’t say or do *anything* you don’t know what to say or do at all? Well stress no more! This life hack will have you treating women like people in no time.

We are constantly hearing about this topic in the professional working world. With constant news stories coming out about powerful men sexually harassing women and men complaining that they "don't know how to act without getting accused of sexual harassment," this seems to be a major problem. So what to we do about it? Well, the writer has a solution, treat all the women you work with like you would treat Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. Sound strange? Maybe it is but there is a point to it!

...this is a visualization exercise that will work wonders in your dealings with the women in your workplace. When a woman approaches you, just replace her in your mind with The Rock. Then, behave accordingly.

She even gives several examples for those who may still be confused. I'll share just one.

Situation 1: Getting Coffee

"Karen is a friend of a friend who recently moved to your city and wants to network in her chosen field, one in which you also work. She’s asked you if you’d be willing to get coffee with her, so she can “pick your brain.” There’s just one problem, Karen looks like this:

Sexual Harassment and "The Rock Test"

Oh shoot! She’s pretty! In the face, even. What to do?? I mean, you know it’d be inappropriate to treat the coffee meeting as a date, since her clearly stated intentions were professional. But on the other hand, she’s blonde, and so was your last girlfriend! This is so confusing! What a minefield you are in.

But navigating this sticky situation can be made easy by employing The Rock Test. Close your eyes, take a deep breath, and when you open them, pretend Karen looks like this:

Sexual Harassment and "The Rock Test"

Wow! Karen looks pretty tough and strong and sweaty! She looks like a person who is working very hard to achieve her goals, having left behind a situation that clearly wasn’t working, headed for bigger and better things. Maybe ask her about that? But definitely don’t hit on her. It looks like she could kill you with the chair you’re sitting on."

The writer goes on to mention two other scenarios that men in the working world may encounter with their co-workers of the opposite sex and how to deal with them by imagining their co-worker as The Rock. The article is wrapped up with the following statements:

So there you go! You’ve learned the quick and easy way to interact with women without behaving inappropriately. Simply offer them the same respect, admiration, and healthy dose of fear you’d offer anyone who could completely destroy you should you deserve it.

Now for my thoughts, I personally think it is pretty sad that any man would have to envision their female co-worker as a man in order to afford her the same respect and dignity that they would give a male co-worker. However, if it works then who am I to complain? Sexual harassment and assault is a serious issue and should be open for discussion no matter how uncomfortable it may make certain people feel.

If you are *not* the type of guy who hits on his female co-workers, then obviously this is not for you. But for those of you who DO have problems with this OR if you simply want to avoid ever being accused of sexual harassment anyway, then perhaps try out the "The Rock Test" and let us know if it helps.

Share your thoughts below!

1862
scarlett is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• The sexual harassment laws and guidelines now are ridiculous. Men really are affraid to interact with female coworkers a lot of times because of it.

My husband got in trouble a few years ago (he was the boss) while being in the break room with 2 female coworkers and one other male. He told a dirty joke (that was funny as hell) and it offended another girl in the room that wasn't even sitting with them or part of the conversation! corporate HR called him the next day and got a reprimand in his file, so did the others he was talking to. All because someone he wasn't even talking to didn't like what he said 😒 Same girl worked under him, not directly but down the chain and he couldn't fire her even though she was a shit employee because corporate said it was a liability 🙄. I swear some girls get training on how to beat the system to collect paychecks they don't have to earn.

Some of us girls have dirtier minds then you guys and appreciate a decent level of sexual harassment to keep work interesting 😂

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 61

• > There’s just one problem, Karen looks like this

Yes, I agree this is a problem. She has the face of a turd.

Now, to answer your question, the best way to avoid sexual harrassment in the workplace is to fire all feminists, and hire men instead. Trust me, it helps.

• Yea, she ain't that pretty.

• @Nyx_85 LOL! I thought the article was a bit over the top, but seems it's not, then!

• Might have been exaggerated a bit for effect but yeah I'm sure guys like that do exist.

• This sort of stuff always makes me roll my eyes. For the record I'm a respectful man I always treat women professionally in the work environment.

First of all if you're sexually assaulted, we already have a way of dealing with that in society, go to the police and report it.

Second of all this comment sums up what is wrong with this post:

"Oh shoot! She’s pretty! In the face, even. What to do? I mean, you know it’d be inappropriate to treat the coffee meeting as a date, since her clearly stated intentions were professional. But on the other hand, she’s blonde, and so was your last girlfriend! This is so confusing! What a minefield you are in."

Yes men are just dumb idiots that can't work it out, if only we could teach men not to sexually assault, or not to rape, or not to beat women! (sarcasm)

This is so mind numbingly stupid that it strains credulity that people actually believe this. I actually happen to think that women know full well that it's not a matter of education but rather this is a shaming tactic along the lines of "look how dumb men are, they can't understand, let's educate them because they're so stupid.". In some kind of strange hope that men will think "hey we don't want to look stupid, we better stop behaving this way".

We had this same shit with feminists in Canada putting up "teach men not to rape" posters. Of all the stupid things.

LOOK - men know that unwanted sexual advances are by definition unwanted. But guess what, men have testosterone, it makes them physically attracted to women, that reaction is physiological, you cannot help it, pupils dilate, heart rate increases, adrenaline kicks in, you start sweating etc. Testosterone causes men to take more risks than women, that's just a biological reality, you can go read the science on that. Men are fully aware of the risks when they make a sexual advance on a female co-worker maybe it'll turn out in rejection in which case they might have to deal with HR or whatever.

OR that risk might pay off, maybe she likes to be chased, maybe she'll welcome the advance, maybe that'll end in intimate relationship or a sexual encounter. There's no way to know before hand that's why it's called a risk.

And I'm NOT saying that it's justified, I'm simply saying it's not a lack of education that's the problem.

It reminds me of this Bill Burr standup bit which really sheds light on how stupid this line of reasoning is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vMRGFFp-Q4

• The whole argument is "I'm a woman, I shouldn't be held accountable for my actions" all the way to "she was seduced by his authority, she feared for her job, she was incapable of saying no because he was in charge."

The entire argument really says women are too stupid to think for themselves. How about the sexual revolution that said have sex with coworkers, date anyone you want, flirt with anyone, it's ok, you're a woman, women's lib.

Basically the rule seems to be "whatever argument serves you best use it, it doesn't matter if it's dishonest"

• @RolandCuthbert could well be but i suspect most wouldn't litigate!

interesting to see where the line is drawn, away from the usual more sexual areas as to if its inappropriate (by either sex).

• @_Atreides You have to got be kidding. I would sue and I don't know a single man who would not.

But if Janelle Monae wanted to cop a feel. . .

:D

This is what is disappointing to me. As men, I thought we could agree on what is simple rational thinking. Is it rational to think women wanted a disgusting pig like Harvey Weinstein all over them? I think we can agree on "no". Of course if Brad Pitt did something, most would welcome it. I am only saying the flip side is true.

Why would you even entertain disputing that?

It just isn't a logical thought. And we are men, we are the ones who embrace logic.

media.gq.com/.../...FEJM02-01-Janelle-Monae-02.jpg

• That's actually really terrible advice. If I started seeing Dwayne Johnson everywhere I went, I'd get really annoyed and probably start going insane.

Would she rather I run away shouting in a fit of irrational hatred? "Get out of my head, you FIEND!!!"

That's supposed to cure feminist illusions of being harassed? Driving men insane instead? She's a dipshit for even suggesting such a thing!

Harassment is he grabs your ass and says you'd be even sweeter dipped in chocolate. Women who think "hi, how's it going?" is harassment have mental issues.

If all you see when you close your eyes and look at us is Harvey Weinstein, then you are the one who needs therapy, not us!

Let's flip this around. Ladies, when that ugly dude tries to be polite, close your eyes and picture the younger Hasselhoff trying to be polite. Is it so impossible to be polite back, as opposed to treating us like the Creature from the Black Lagoon?

See? It goes both ways. But if we have to picture someone ugly, let it at least still be a woman. Otherwise, you're trying to plant gay images in men's heads just to be a troll.

• Exactly. I think she's trying to label men as people who can negatively be perceived as perverts just for showing interest. And women can pass. But I could get wrong I don't know her mind games.

• *be wrong

• Haha!!!

That is simply hilarious.

You have hurt a lot of feelings here at GaG.

:D

lacomadre.mx/.../...arrelacion_comadre-696x392.jpg

• Can't really empathize as 'Karen' is like 10 years past her prime... ak9.picdn.net/.../12.jpg

Karen's personal assistant on the other hand...

Here's the rub kiddos, *someone who didn't cut and paste an article from Buzzfeed/Jezebel/Cosmo and DOES work with hot HR ladies and uber touchy feely but married receptionists*

Treat them like strangers, offer nothing to their conversations, your personal life is lame and boring, (even if you're a male stripper after hours), and say nothing controversial at all ever. "Whadaya think of Trump eh eh?" "Oh I don't pay attention to politics at all..." Despite what the feminists tell you women dominate the office and middle management, even the VP's and CEO's aren't safe. Don't date them, keep your business trips/dates short sweet and to the point. YOU ARE THERE TO WORK! "But but but but thats an unhealthy work environment!" Too bad women brought us to this point. "But but but what if there's a genuine interest with a co-worker?" If she's that interested in you she'll quit her job or transfer to another floor or something. That is your ultimatum period end of story.

1. Your job
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .27. Women.
    Capisce?

• More from Guys
    56

What Girls Said 17

• I think you hit the nail on the head on the first sentence when you expressed your thoughts. You shouldn't have to pretend that every girl you meet is a dude just to avoid hitting on them. That's pretty messed up. Girls' bodily integrity and personal space should be respected, PERIOD. I found the article funny on the surface, sure, but it implies that men can't respect women on a very basic and human level. That they have to pretend women are men to respect them, men who could beat them up if they don't. That's kinda fucked up.
    Not to mention that this method obviously wouldn't work, because the problem with people who sexually harass women is that they just don't care. They simply wouldn't even be able to pretend that these girls could kill them with a chair. They don't see women as a threat and that's one of the main reasons why they're even harassing them in the first place - respect for women won't appear out of thin air just because they think about The Rock.
    This is along the line of asking a dude if he'd care more if the attacked woman was "his sister/his mom/some other female person he knows and has respect for". I see the intent - you want to make it more personal and try to get the guy to be more empathetic towards girls and women he doesn't know personally. But it's fucked up, because again, girls and their bodies should be respected even if you don't know them, even if you don't have a personal connection to them. A woman shouldn't have to be your mom or your sister for you to realize that sexual harassment is gross and wrong.
    A little tidbit: my brother works at a mall. He's a really great guy (when he isn't hungry). He was a bit of an ass as a teen towards my mom and I (he was a hardcore gamer and would disturb our sleep with his gaming...). But I digress. He has treated everyone nicely and is a good guy at heart. He works at a mall. Every year, this mall has a huge event were they lower their prices for a few days, and people go kinda crazy. So, the mall often hires extra help just for these few days.
    At this mall, during this event, it's very crowded. The employees run around all over the place and so do the customers. You have to shuffle past people all the time. This one girl, who was hired as an extra helper, ended up anonymously accusing my brother of sexual harassment. He had done absolutely nothing to her, and when he heard about it he couldn't even think of a single situation where he'd done anything wrong.

• He didn't even know which girl it could have been or on what day it could have happened. He was so confused when his boss approached him. After talking for a little bit, his boss took his side (naturally, because the girl who accused him had a flimsy story and he literally had no idea when this could have happened, he was busy doing his job). Point being, there are girls who are batshit crazy and accuse men even when they don't do anything wrong. Ofc these are in the minority, but still, it can happen even if you're being 100% respectful.

• This is a satire piece right? I mean like anyone would actually write something this silly and be serious about it. Like I could see myself getting into a trolling mood and writing this while laughing to myself "Haha people are going to get so bent out of shape". But like... really?

How about just sticking to the basics. No touching other than formal handshakes, no compliments on anything other than job performance, no personal talk. Small talk is fine but keep it that way. Small talk. "How was your weekend?" "Oh great. I went fishing. How was yours?" "Awesome. I sacrificed a baby goat to Satan" "Great! Well work is calling. See ya later!" See? Simple.

And girls don't get pissy if a male coworker says you look nice one day. If it's a repeated thing and he keeps asking you out despite you saying no or he puts his hands on you then ok that's pushing it and something should be said but one simple compliment isn't the end of the world. I know we want to be taken seriously but guys are still guys. And heck maybe he was just saying it to be nice because he say you looked down that day and overheard you talking to another female coworker about how you were skipping lunch because you gained 15 pounds...

• Some women are acting so damn stupid. Nobody should be afraid of interacting with co workers in fear of having their life ruined. I don't get how a man complimenting a woman is sexual harassment as long as he doesn't fucking lick your face after or some shit. Just be professional and respect personal space and you're good.

• "Now for my thoughts, I personally think it is pretty sad that any man would have to envision their female co-worker as a man in order to afford her the same respect and dignity that they would give a male co-worker. "

Absol-fucking-lutely!

If you're confused about how to not sexually harass a co-worker then there is something really wrong with your social skills and maybe working with others should be put on hold until you learn how to act like a civilised human being...

• I think its really sad that women don't even see men as human any more. That's really the saddest part, they only see us as rapist and violent monsters. Maybe you women should try looking at men in the same way you look at other women, you know like a person.

• No, you never asked nicely, you where rude and continue to be. However I am tired of this discussion so yes lets just end this.

• @hellionthesagereborn rude? Telling you to fuck off would have been rude... You always do this it's like you're drawn to me... Each time I come back we end up in this exact same conversation because you're like a stuck record... So yes if you could manage to fuck off and stop talking to me that would be great... But I doubt it will happen.

• Problem is that men aren't sexually harassing women in record numbers. The culture shift we're undergoing is what's wrong. Now even innocuous well meant platonic actions are being interpreted differently, as abuse. A woman doesn't have the power to destroy you if you deserve it. She has the power to destroy you-- period. You could be totally innocent. So while this may help a--holes who actually harass women ( if they bothered to try, and why would they, they clearly don't care) it isn't going to help with the 75% of cases where the man actually did nothing wrong. What we need is a tool to enumerate exactly what is and isn't okay or frankly for this generation to just grow up and try adulting a little for once.

• More from Girls
    12