Gender: Intelligence and Historical Figures

I've done a lot of research on this topic and I finally found what the real difference of intelligence is between men and women.

Let's look at the following bell curve:

The average IQ score is between 90 and 110. As you can see, most of the females fall under the average IQ category. Whereas, males seem to have more of a variety of intelligence test scores.

What does this all mean?

This means that there are more men who have low IQ scores than women, but this also means there are more men with higher IQ scores than women. Some people believe either gender is inherently smarter, but that is a mistake.

None of the sexes is "smarter" than the other, because even if we argued that there are more genius IQ'd men than women, the counterargument would be that there are also more idiot men than idiot women! This in turn goes to my next point...

Why are most notable people in history men?

There are many reasons behind this question. One of them is that most genius people tend to be men, but the other main reason has nothing to do with intelligence or mental strength. It more has to do with socialized roles that females have adopted, as well as males, and this is what prevented females from being "notable" throughout history.

These women include:

Cleopatra

Cleopatra sought to defend Egypt from the expanding Roman Empire. She was a strong female amongst oppressive males. She took this power to improve her society.

Elizabeth I

Queen of England during a time of great economic and social change, she saw England cemented as a Protestant country. During her reign, she witnessed the defeat of the Spanish Armada leaving Britain to later become one of the world’s dominant superpowers.

Florence Nightingale

By serving in the Crimean war, Florence Nightingale was instrumental in changing the role and perception of the nursing profession. Her dedicated service won widespread admiration and led to a significant improvement in the treatment of wounded soldiers.

Susan B. Anthony

Susan B. Anthony began campaigning within the temperance movement and this convinced her of the necessity for women to have the vote. She toured the US giving countless speeches on the subjects of human rights. She must have had a lot of strength and mental prowess to convince people to agree for women to vote, in a society full of oppression and patriarchy.

And many more!

In my opinion, I think that the fact that there were even any females who were notable throughout history is very impressive, with all the oppression and sexism going on during the past centuries.

Summary

Throughout history we've learned that men and women have acquired different roles, each of them with their own importance and definition. Intelligence scores that are nowadays seen as IQ scores have also been made to compare different social groups, including men and women.

820

Most Helpful Girl

• 6d

The answer is quite simple. Women didn’t have access to the same educational opportunities, in the past, as men did. In the 17th-19 centuries, women (if they were privileged enough), were given a very basic literacy education of reading and writing. The sole focus was ‘dressing them up’ for the marriage mart, or preparing them for the workforce. This involved teaching them household maintainance, needlework etc ( if they were lower class). And musical accomplishments, dancing, needlepoint, art, possibly a language and manners (if upper class). Boys has much greater freedom. They learnt latin, Greek, reading and writing, algebra, languages, history etc. as they were working towards a profession.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 20

• 6d

I congratulate you on rattling the cages of the super fragile overly sensitive men at GaG.

Good luck with all the incoming vitriol.

You will need it.

• 7d

Cleopatra surrendered Egyptian sovereignty to Rome further overthrew her husband/brother and killed her sister to gain power. She sought out tyrannical power in the mediterean by first becoming the dictator Julius Caesar's lover and having his kids and then by becoming power hungry mark oligarch Anthony's husband and mother of his children. She was a brutal monster just like the other powerful leaders of her time such as Caesar, Pompey, Herod etc but she was a good govenener of her country she destroyed herself by needless war.
    Queen Elizabeth 1st was a great stabilizer of England compared to her sister and father. She smartly left the succession of the crown to king James of Scotland and in that way she United the two.

• 3d

Give it up already!

So Susan B. Anthony supported prohibition and, by definition, the rise of organized crime in America. Smart move! Given that, she should have been the poster child for all the reasons why women should have NOT been given the right to vote. FYI, the women's vote has been bankrupting this country, and destroying the Constitutional fabric of this country, going back to 1919.

Also, Cleopatra and Queen Elizabeth were advised by and controlled by more knowledgeable men in the background who made the real decisions. Who are you trying to fool?

• 7d

I don't think there's any real difference in intelligence between the genders. What might skewer things would be that girls and women are not permitted to attain an education in certain cultures and societies. There will always be intelligent men AND women, just like there will be dumbshits among both sexes. By the way, you left out Pharaoh Hatshepsut. She not only ruled Egypt wisely and peacefully, she explored and expanded trade.

• 2d

thanks! Lol, of course a man would downvote this opinion!

• 3d

This is so fucking stupid. Intelligence and IQ are not at all the same thing. You just sound like another stupid woman who thinks that women are smarter than men. If that was the case, the world would be run by women and not by men.

At the end of the day IQ means nothing and neither does intelligence. Integrity is all that matters and you have absolutely none.

• 2d

"... who thinks that women are smarter than men." No? I don't think that? Can you tell me where in that post did I even say or implied that? Yeah... nowhere. You're just another idiot male who thinks that just because Albert Einstein and Bill Gates are men, that they represent all men.

THOSE men- I admire. YOU? You're a man, but a fucking stupid one.

• 2d

Here we go.

You: "I never said women were smarter"

*1 sentence later*

You: "You're just another idiot male"

Fantastic. Congratulations at proving my point completely and adding sexism to the list of atrocities that you made in the first place. You are a real piece of shit.

The first fucking thing you mentioned was IQ. Why has no women in the world ever been given an IQ higher than Stephen Hawking? Why is a man still the holder of the highest IQ? Why do men predominately oversee almost all countries on earth?

Please don't answer any of these questions because I don't believe you can have a rationale debate without resorting to sexist, stereotypical bullshit. The whole fact that you have chosen an MGH and not MHM is just further proof that you don't care about men's opinions. You only care about living in a stupid echo chamber where you circlejerk and stroke your own female ego. Look around, not a single male agrees with you.

This is article is nothing but a long winded rant.

• 2d

Nice try at trying to take men down a peg, sadly it didn't work though.

P. S. It seems even a lot of women here don't agree with you. Talk about being ostracized by bother sexes. Try being less sexist next time.

• 6d

from the women around me and the women i know, i can say that while women are not dumb, they are usualyl not interested in achieving in the same way men are... men love to invent and make new things , women are more than happy taking the things men make and working with that to achieve somekind of a higher status... i rarely if ever hear of a woman starting something... they just dont

• 6d

Women have always had the brains, just never the drive or practicality to take advantage of them.

• 6d

Yiiiikes. More like society was run by and for men, and women were rarely given the opportunity to take advantage of their intelligence through higher education or important jobs.

• 6d

@Chipher42 is correct here. Lots of men say women simply didn't want to take charge. It's not that simple. The one trait that men were dominant in, was PHYSICAL traits- not getting pregnant and having more physical strength. THAT alone gave them the *huge* advantage of being able to take over society.

If we both were able to get pregnant, and we both had the same physical strength, I guarantee you that men would probably not be the ones dominating society as of now. Those two seemingly innocent traits made us stay where we are, and men took advantage of that.

• 4d

Women now who are doing amazing work in all fields of science and art and politics aren't different from women centuries ago. If women of the past would have had the legal right to vote, birth control and social support, they would have made just as many inventions.
      We aren't any better than people in the past, we just have more opportunities.

• 6d

I have a thought. I know it's popular to think that all men saw women as property, but if this was the case, why would any of them allow or even support women's rights?
    Throughout history women have been given more and more rights, and it couldn't have been done without men.

Just as a revolution requires both men and women to participate.

• 6d

Oh yay, some men helped get rid of a system which was men's fault in the first place, good for them. Now, I don't really believe in the idea of faulting members of a group in present times for the actions of that same group in the past, but if we are going to apply that logic it's ridiculous to congratulate men for a few of them helping to fix a system they put in place in the first place.

• 6h

Because the situation isn't as black and white as you think it is. There are shooters of all ethnicities and there are people who drive vans into crowds of all ethnicities. Expecting someone to be a certain ethnicity would be stupid, as it could lead to you ignoring the actual perpetrator. Let's say there's a Black shooter, and we're only looking for white shooters because that's statistically more likely. It doesn't make sense. You should see a crime, get the evidence and look for the perpetrator, not be blinded by your biases and expectations.

No. Racism is political. It is not subjective. Also, you are basing your opinions on incidents that did not happen in Canada, but then say "that's not my country" when you're at a loss of words. Unless you determine what definition of terrorism you want to use, you shouldn't use the word.

None of you arguments are based on facts or knowledge. You only depend on your biases and unbacked opinions. Which is why you should grow up and read a book

• 6h

@Felicia5567 Each country has it's own official definition.
      As far as I know in Canada Racism wouldn't count as terrorism though I'm not quite sure what our government counts as terrorism.

Well if you know that your shooter is more likely to be black it helps narrow down your search a bit, and if it comes back blank then it's not like you weren't looking into others, you're just allocating resources to the most likely demographic for that specific crime.

"None of you arguments are based on facts or knowledge. You only depend on your biases and unbacked opinions. Which is why you should grow up and read a book"
      What? Which facts have You brought?
      other than acknowledging my younger age..

• 6d

IQ is only one measure of 'intelligence'

• 4d

Did I say it wasn't?

• 5d

... and Man has Invent 99% of everything exists in this world (food to rockets) plus your Internet, your clothes, your PC and your iPhone X.

Another stupid Feminist Take trying to put women in a pedestal and make them better than everything no matter what.

But this arrogance/self-affirmation ends when they have to share the Restorant Bill or their Car Break.

• 4d

Yes, but without a woman... none of those things would've been possible. Why? Because a woman could've easily not taken care of her baby while they were in the womb, and outside the womb. Everything starts with a woman, and men tend to overlook the importance of that.

• 4d

And who will obligates me.. you? lol you are nobody out here. You are frustrated and hates man. Women like you deserves die alone.

• 4d

I didn't say I hated men nor I implied it... But I do hate people who keep implying that men's roles are more important, and trying to demean women. In most cases it's sadly turns out to be a man. Lol and no, I'm happily married with a man who is reasonable enough to actually value a woman, unlike you.

• 6d

Its a long known fact that men are dumber, in general. The difference is men get shit done. Men instinctively learn to compete and adapt better than women. Women feel that men undermine them but if strength is only obtainable through gender and genes, then women should've been on the top of the food chain long ago.

• 2d

"Nobels and dumb bells" theory. Women cluster around the middle and men produce way more idiots and nearly all the geniouses. Spells out bad things for science and acedamia which is driving men out in favor of Marxist equality of outcome. Also women did not adopt gender roles, it's a result of human biology. Women get pregnant, men do not, women give birth to and raise children and men provide since they do not give birth. Men's bodies are built for work and war, women's bodies are built for taking care of children, right down to brests that produce milk to feed babies.

• 7d

I don't really see how this contributes to anything.. Also IQ tests are a thing of the past, all they test is how well you do on IQ tests.. ps: I would post in your examples first and foremost Maria Skłodowska-Curie, Elizabeth Garrett Anderson, Maria Agnesi, Rosalind Franklin, Elizabeth Blackwell, Maria Maier and many many more before the ones you posted.

• 2d

Then be my guest and create another myTake. Cool?

• 7d

And we should care about this why?
    And you came up with all this all by yourself?

• 7d

No. I was just so bored to the point that I was like why not. I didn't really put much effort into it really. I'm actually shocked this is featured. There was no intention to grab people's attention. Lol

• 6d

Lol i'd rather not learn from someone so narrow minded thanks, but yes i've heard you say this all before as you say the same things every time someone challenges one of your opinions.
      I'm not going to reply again.

• 6d

@PrincessPie - narrow minded eh? Says the shallow minded! LOL
      Ya got nuthin' for me neither hon. But you keep trying to figure it out. :)

• 6d

IQ tests are only supposed to tell you if you need help in the class room and have no basis on life after the age of fifteen.

• 2d

Both men and women are important to society and they are both capable of intelligent contributions. That being said I don't think that they excel at the same things, but who cares as long as they contribute on their area of specialization

• 7d

God bless Good Queen Bess!

• 3d

What about Cathryn The Great?

• 6d

Seems legit. would explain why females are filling more spaces in uni's etc. Mind you... who do we rely on to progress in society? The elite intellects who invent and pave the way for us. The vast majority of those are males..

• 4d

Women didn't have the chance to actually achieve many things because men were oppressing them. Physical strength was vital when we were talking about dominance. Men were always physically stronger, and women got pregnant. All these variables come into play, but that doesn't mean women are less or more. It just means there were intervening obstacles which didn't allow us to work the same way. However, as society actually realizes this, more women are stepping forward. But there's still lots of dirt under the rug. Everyone simply ignores it, because women still earn less than men because society still expects females to be homemakers and stay-at-home moms. This needs to change.

• 2d

"as long as women like keeping those roles.". But also, it'll change when men stop expecting women to clean their floors and cook their meals, and raise their children on their own.

This is the responsibility of both men and women. Not just women.

• 2d

But here's the thing when you say that. Those men are actually willing to pay for the dates and time with the girl.

As long as these men do that, women will take advantage of it. Simple as that. This is why men don't seek out "sugar mommies" because women aren't really willing to be a part of that role.

• 6d

Most of the greatest accomplishments of mankind have been by men, and that will always be the case. Men and women have had different roles throughout history because they have different strengths, interests and motivations, and those things have little to do with intelligence.

Men and women have different strengths and are motivated and driven by different things, and that is why men have had and always will have grander achievements than women. Men make things possible, and that has enabled women to participate in society the way they can today.

Just one example of many... go to the symphony and you will be treated to beautiful music from instruments played by men and women. Those instruments were invented by men. Do yourself a favor and do a little research on how a piano works. It's pretty amazing. Did you know it is a stringed instrument just like a guitar, and uses spruce soundboard, just like a guitar? Probably not, because women don't give a shit about those sorts of things, but they fascinate me and many other men.

The piano was invented by a man. If we waited for a woman to invent a piano, we would never get to hear one, ever. But lots of women play the piano, thanks to the achievements of men.

Doesn't mean men are any more or less intelligent, but they accomplish things women will never accomplish, because men and women are different and always will be. That's the critical piece this MyTake is missing.

• 6d

You can't simply sit there and assume that most greatest achievers were males "because they're males". That is a very simplistic point of view that requires research, on YOUR part.

WHY have they been the greatest achievers? WHY have they been more encouraged and motivated to do the harsher work? Have you actually sat down and thought through the possibe, REAL reasons why this could be? Or you simply wanna stick to your narrow-minded view of "Women are just inferior"?

Do some research. There are grounds on here that many haven't touched and that's why they're getting misinformed, and create excuses

• 2d

@Felicia5567 100% agree with you. I wish this man, with all his university degrees, would actually investigate thoroughly about this issue instead of further worsening it.

In the workplace, there are many problems women have to deal with even if men don't see it- because they don't have these problems. Harrassment, treating women as if they were children (I forgot the word, but it's defined as basically explaining things to women as if they were toddlers), not taking women seriously etc. All of this comes into play and are very very subtle, that's why men say women don't have issues anymore, and that they should stop "complaining" about gender discrimination because they don't actually experience it themselves.

• 2d

Yes exactly! It's called patronizing, and it happens all the time. I started my career in computer science and can't even describe how many times men who were less experienced than men tried to talk over me or explain things to me that I do in my job all the time. It is so frustrating, especially when they do it in front of superiors. Or when we have groups projects and I come up with an idea, and then men present it as their own to superiors, without giving me credit. Literally happens all the time. I left my first company because I hated going to work and dealing with all those micro-aggressions every single day.

What Girls Said 7

• 2d

Yes, I mentioned this in a comment a little while back (about the bell curve). Intelligence doesn't necessarily show itself in accomplishment, sometimes the "smart" thing to do is live a normal happy life. Women tend to be less of risk takers and risk plays a much larger part in who is remembered, plus the attitude was different then. A woman was seen as useful for being supportive, helping a man achieve something held more value, just as raising children did.

• 7d

Some stories for Rebel girls:
    www.rebelgirls.co/

• 6d

That also means that you accept IQ scores as an actual measure of intelligence, rather than a tool that was designed with specific people in mind...
    Also where'd you get that data? Because from a simple google search it seems like there's no scientific consensus on the subject, it all depends on methodology and once you control for socioeconomic factors, there was no difference.

• 6d

Thanks for the take!

• 6d

I'm not sure this is true... I'm weary of the idea that intelligence varies between men and women.

• 3d

interesting

• 4d

think you need to go back and try again