Why I Think Women and Men Can't Be "Just Friends"

PrincessPie s

This is coming from a girl who has more male than female friends, that really are friends (nothing more to suggest otherwise) BUT I believe there is a fine line between male and female friends which prevents them from being "just friends".

*****Disclaimer

This is from my own personal experience only and I'm NOT saying men and women can't have friendships just that i find there is always a fine line and usually is something more, i know plenty of people will disagree and that is fine and a good thing.

Here are a few things i've found between male and female friendships.

We're wired to be attracted to the opposite sex

This of course ONLY applies to straight people and so does this My Take, but we're biologically attracted to the opposite sex which makes it hard to differentiate the two, and only see the person as a friend.

They flirt with each other.

I've noticed that when i see male and female friends they flirt with each other, sure maybe the flirting is reasonably innocent but do they do this with there same sex friends? nope, if they're just friends i don't see why they would feel the need to do this, flirting is fun but it is crossing a line which is above friendship.

At least one tends to catch feelings.

a lot of the time i hear about people falling for there opposite sex best friend, i'll admit usually its the guy, and i think a lot of guys have feelings for there female best friends beyond friendship, i think its easier for a woman to see there guy friend as just a friend than it is a guy.

They use each other as back ups.

Amount of times i've heard male and female best friends say if we don't end up with anyone then they will be together, why would you go with someone who you only have friendship feelings for? sure its okay to have a joke, but i actually know someone who married there best friend even though before this happened they only had claimed to have been friends.

SOME would/have had sex with each other.

I put some because obviously this is NOT always the case, i have never and would never sleep with my male friends but i know plenty of people who have before and would again, even though they claim to be "just friends" to me if you are attracted to someone to want to have sex with them your feelings are above friendship and not are platonic.

I think that its easier for women to see men as "just friends" this YouTube video kind of states a point that i feel.

My two bestfriends are a girl and a guy, my guy bestfriend has stated to me on a few occasions in a round about way that he has more feelings for me than just friendship this is not to say he is unhappy with friendship as he knows that nothing will ever happen between us but thats not to say he sees me as only "just friends" even though we're only just friends.

When Harry Met Sally, Is a good movie about a male and female friendship which ended in romance.

..Here is a famous scene from the movie.

Do you think that Men are Women, can be only JUST friends, why or why don't you think this?

This My Take is NOT saying they can't be friends, this is saying that there is always a line and something which prevents different gender friends from being ONLY friends.

Thanks for Browsing :)

68
44
44Girl Opinion
68Guy Opinion

Most Helpful Girl

• Kiki98
    I couldn't agree more, with every male friend i had, they either end up falling for me or i end up falling for them. it's never pretty and feelings always get messed up in the middle of it
    Like 5 People
    Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Guy

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

4367
  • CallMeDave
    You make a lot of good points about why it's harder for a man and a woman to be "just friends" but harder doesn't mean impossible. I think it also might depend on the definition of "just friends". My definition is no sexual interaction at any level - no kissing, no romantic hugging, no cuddling, etc. I think your definition might be a little different in that you seem to be saying that if anything's different than it would be with a same gender friend then it's not "just friends". I think there are usually, but not always, some differences between same sex friendships and opposite sex friendships, but in my view that doesn't change it from being "just friends" as long as there's no sexual interaction.

I've had several female friends over the years, including some that I was pretty close to, that I considered to be "just friends" but you might not.

There were two I recall that I shared a hobby with. I was married at the time and both of them were too. None of our spouses were interested in the hobby and so I would often spend a weekend day or sometimes an evening with one of those female friends working on that hobby. Sometimes we'd have lunch or dinner together in conjunction with that. I found both physically attractive, but none of our conversations were ever about sex. We talked about our hobby, our jobs, our families, the weather, world events, but not sex. I considered those women "just friends" but maybe you wouldn't because I found them attractive which is an element different than if they were guys.

I had another woman I was very close friends with for a few years. Again we shared a hobby and spent a lot of time doing that together. We'd have dinner together about once a week and would text each other almost every day. That was a closer relationship and in addition to the things I mentioned with the other friends, she and I also discussed our love lives (generally, not details). I was not physically attracted to her but we had a close relationship and were best friends. Many people thought there was a romantic relationship because we were so close but there wasn't. We were almost never in each other's home and never anywhere other than the living room or kitchen. I also considered that a "just friends" relationship. What would you think of that relationship? "Just friends" or something more? Couldn't two women have just as close a relationship and that would be "just friends"?
    Like 2 People
  • OlderAndWiser
    I agree that everything you said applies to many male-female "friendships." If a guy feels a sexual attraction to a girl, there will always something more than just friendship between the two of them. Buy guys are not attracted to every girl.

I have had female friends who I just wanted to pick up and carry off to bed and I have had female friends to whom I felt no attraction at all. If neither feels an attraction to the other, then a true platonic friendship is possible.
    Like 4 People
    • Giacomanzo

Precisely my point. And attraction takes a lot of forms. I have a female friend who I am very comfortable calling a sister. She is beautiful, smart and very funny, but a completely different person from me. Lots of the things she likes I don't, and has an overall personality that is way too spiritualistic and chaotic for my cold-stone calculating, order-friendly self, which makes me think of her as nothing but a friend.

• JimRSmith
    I think you can, provided that

1) You respect boundaries properly.

2) Ideally you are both in happy relationships with OTHER people.

3) A little geographical distance doesn't hurt.

4) That you conduct the friendship honestly.
    Like 1 Person
  • COCOCHANEL
    i think many are like this
    Like 1 Person
  • GracefulCharm
    It's possible to stay friends or to become something more. The choice is up to you and your friend. I think the reason we view them as friends as opposed to lovers is because we had our hearts charmed by a ex or crush a long time ago. The love spell they put on us has made us prefer lovers who are like them.

I've noticed that with girls. I always lust after one specific type. I've come to realize it because of my first crush and first girlfriend. Some things can't be forgotten. I know if i see her again. We might go back to where we left off. But I know she moved on when I was locked up and got married. I'm disciplining myself and will keep myself separated from her because I need to accept that we're done. She has kids with this other man. So i don't want to tempt her in any way either. This self discipline is the same as having friends with the opposite gender because we know that if we didn't limit our sexual appetite. It could ruin a good friendship. Sometimes it's better to not give into your own temptations.
    Like 3 People
  • Cosytoasty
    I think it can happen. When you're not attracted to each other or you come together through work/common cause.

Now actually going up to someone of the opposite you have zero (literally) attraction to, just to get to know them in a platonic capacity... i don't think that happens. Every single female friend who i've not known through work/school is because i wanted to bone them first (no matter how fleeting that was).
    Like 2 People
    • Lol, "i wanted to bone them first" always can expect a honest answer from you :D

• ScarletAngelic
    I disagree. It's really nice to have lots of friends of both gender. One of the perks of being a lesbian. I can easily be friends with both girls and guys. I just have to tell the guys I'm lesbian and 'hopefully' they'll just accept it and not try anything, as for the girls, I may fall for a few of them, but if they're straight, I won't try anything stupid and just stay their friends.
    Like 1 Person
    • Homosexuals are the exception I guess, that you forgot to mention XD

• I did write that lol, in first bit ;)
      that it only applies to straight people otherwise you're correct lol as it doesn't make a difference.

• Well you did mention but it's easier for us to have friends of both sexes.

• ASEXY
    "They flirt with each other"

I see that happening quite often. Even if it's a joke (or whatever the hell they like to call it), it's still flirting. That has made me feel quite uncomfortable when I used to be friends with girls. This is one of the reasons why I longer want to be friends with women. Today, I'm only acquaintances with them, and they still managed (with little time they have with me) to flirt with me and tease me about being asexual. Friendship? No thanks.

"At least one tends to catch feelings"

I also heard of many people who ended up dating and marrying their 'friends' lol. I usually see women on social media saying that they would like to be 'just friends' with a guy first before being in a relationship with him. Because apparently that's how they want to start having an emotional connection with him before they have feelings for him? Maybe that's what a lot of guys assume when they try to be friends with girls? They probably think that's how they can have a chance.

More points I'd like to add...

1. Straight and bi men hardly ever make friends with girls who they're not initially attracted to.
    Most men are not willing to hear women talk about gossip, problems, makeup, etc unless they are attracted to her. Most of them just don't see the point of being friends with a woman who they don't want to sleep with because the average man doesn't have that many qualities/interests in common with the average woman. It usually the metrosexual/feminine ones who become 'just friends' with women. It's because they have some feminine interests/qualities that they'd like to share with women in their friendships.

2. The more masculine a man is, the less likely he is going to want to be 'just friends' with a woman.
    This means that the more masculine he is, the less interests/qualities in common with the average woman. This rule tends to apply to men of every sexual orientation. It's not a secret that most straight, masculine guys tend to view women as sexual objects, so they would only be friends with a woman to get in her pants. I'm a masculine guy and I don't make friends with women because they are generally too feminine for me, so I know that it is unlikely that we have anything in common. I'm also aromantic/asexual so I see no point. Another example, I have an acquaintance (through modeling) who is masculine too and he's not attracted to girls either. He's gay but he's nothing like the typical gay guy and he doesn't have any female friends.
    Like 2 People
    • ASEXY

3. The more attractive you are, the less likely it becomes that the opposite sex wants to be just friends with you. A lot of people have this idea that the friendship will increase their chances and that it will grow into something more 'special.'

A lot of people blur the lines of what is considered platonic, romantic and sexual. People, acquaintances don't count as friends. Anyone who denies what I'm saying is most likely a coward who doesn't want to see the truth. I bet they are the ones who complained about getting 'friendzoned' or doesn't mind taking an advantage of people who are attracted to them.

• Hal2002
    Men and women can be just platonic friends, I have a few female friends that we are just friends and talk about anything.

When a woman leave to bathroom door cracked so she can talk to you while she does her business, your are friends and there is no chance of there every being anything sexual between you.
    Like 2 People
  • Makaha
    I'd like to dispel the notion that guys and girls can't be just friends. I have a lot of genuine friends. I hang out with a lot of women too. Most of them are close to me and we've been friends for many years. A few of them have been in bed with me. There were periods when we've lusted for each other. We were friends first before we "truly tasted each other" and are back to being just friends again. Other male and female friends in our circle have similar stories to tell. So what's the big deal?
    Like 2 People
  • Beautybynature
    Every guy hat has tried to befriend me.. has tried to sleep with me!
    No.
    And let's say you're an attractive woman, that is a definite no.
    Men and women can't be friends!! anyone who says they can is delusional and ESPECIALLY if they are a man saying it!! lies
    If it has a penis, it's probably shifty in some fashion so no.
    Like 2 People
    • JDavid25

But you ain't been around every guy though.. I'm sure there are guys who ain't attracted to you.. LOL.. & Who like a certain type of woman, or has a wife/girlfriend they absolutely love, and adore..

• TwinCKI
    Yeah, it is kind of hard just to stay friends with a girl. It is very easy to develop feelings for someone you spend a decent amount of time with plus the fact that most of your encounters with them will most likely be pleasant. Its kind of like a recipe for disaster but sometimes opposite sexes can be best friends and there is nothing wrong about that.
    Like 2 People
    • I had to start telling guys I wasn't interested in the opposite gender right away, because so many times, when I start trying to become friends with a guy and forget to mention I'm not interested, I end up having to break his heart,. (I really hate having to do that it makes me feel bad)

• TheDevilInside
    look, even if you wanna fuck your friend, doesn't mean you can't be only friends with that person. It's all in your head. It all depends on how good you are at compartmentalizing and understanding your own mind. Also, how mature you are and whether or not you know what you want and don't want.
    Like 1 Person
  • heyyyyy123
    I actually agree with you completely on this one, but I will come out and say that I think if all of these are untrue except that one person will probably always catch feelings. It is possible that the other person can grow to accept the fact that they are just friends and see it as a sister or brother relationship and the feelings fade. I've had a guy best friend where this very much happened. But in the end, it depends on the people and how strong their hormones work against them haha.
    Like 1 Person
  • Uhhjsshshdh
    Let's say a guy and a girl are best friends, and the guy has a crush on her but she turns him down. According to what you're saying if the guy waits long enough, the girl will change her mind?

Asking for a friend.
    Like 1 Person
    • noo she probably won't change her mind lol, let your friend know im sorry.

• spiderweirdo
    The sad thing is... i love male friendships. But its awkward when he starts flirting out of the blue, and I'm like 😶
    Like 1 Person
    • Same here, what do you think, do you think men and women can ever JUST be friends from both sides?

• Rarely they can. Unfortunately one usually develops feelings

• @spiderweirdo why can't both just develop feelings. Nature fucking sucks ;-;

• Jmcmanning
    Most of my friends are males and they are simply that - just friends. Never dated, never had a desire to date, don't flirt but we are close friends and give each other advice. It is possible being just friends with the opposite sex and nothing else.
    Like 2 People
  • r4ngeF
    Absolutely true.
    Its about time people see the truth...
    There are so many concealed interests/intentions in every kind of relationship that is "platonic".
    Ofc there are maybe once in a 100 years a couple that both the male and female are asexual, but thats very rare..

Great Take.
    LikeDisagree 3 People
  • TomatoBoy
    You are pretty on point. I think all relationships change and develop

My closest friend Samantha, we initially dated, realized we weren't compatible but ended up being really close. We are friends now.

Or a co worker of mine, we started off as coworkers, became friends, hooked up, began dating each other, broke up, and a year later reconnected and became really great friends

I dont recall every being completely platonic from beginning to end however
    Like 2 People
  • MrMAC777
    This is a good myTake, it's a fact in most cases. Because if the girl said she was interested in a relationship or even just up for a screw, the guy would be all over it. That only applies if they are in the same "league" though. If one person is way less attractive, I think there is a mutual understanding of where everything stands.
    Like 2 People
  • Show More (90)