The Gender Pay Gap Problem is a "Myth"

To begin with:

The Gender Pay Gap Problem is a "Myth"

About me, I am an English Engineering Student who considers them self a feminist, I have a sister I very much love and very good female friends who deserve every thing I get opportunity wise in life. However I think a large branch of feminists work against men rather than with men, which is why I am very fond of the He For She Campaign.

Men and Women are Different

Repeatedly, throughout modern day society we are confusing equality of the genders with a thought that genders are the same, its simply not true. A goal keeper is of equal importance to a striker, however completely different. This is in our DNA, it's evolutionary. People who argue against this fact will usually say in their next line that men are trash or pigs. Now to understand the statistics that come up the way averages work that the mass body of data is in the middle and doesn't effect the overall results. However the extremes sway the data, in this case on the extremes you have women who want to raise family and still have a job but not pursue it, and on the other side you have men who want nothing more then to strive in there job and forget everything else. Are there exceptions? Yes. Are there many? No. Is this okay? Yes. It says nothing about opportunity, simply what people choose to do.

The Free Market

The free market argues and proves that if you have a certain workforce who are equally skilled but you can get away with paying less they would have all the jobs. Companies would be only hiring women should this be the case. An example of this is in England with Eastern Europeans and In America with Latinos. They do a lot of the same jobs with the same skills but for a lot cheaper, so they get all the jobs. This is not happening for females in the job market. Why? Because gender doesn't matter when it comes to pay. To sum up this point the free market doesn't allow for women to be paid less for the same job.

Why men have higher positions

This is one thing I do think there is a current issue. Old white men have the majority of CEO jobs and high board jobs, is simply because these things take time. It's only really been in the last generation that women have been added to the main workforce. this goes back to evolution and its a damn shame we took so long to adjust to the agricultural revolution and moving up the Demographic Transition Model. But these men will die, this old trend will die, this is simply the dying corpse of a sexist past. Sadly there's no solution but time for this, we can't take the positions or steal them. But you reading this as a female are the generation that gets to change this. The decent humans of this world are supporting you.

To conclude

Firstly like in all situations I'm sure there are sexist employers, but it's so few to the point it's probably not far off the discrimination I receive as a white straight male (white devil, am I right). But as feminists let's not cry about such a mediocre issue. Let's support our females of sexual assault, let's support our sisters in the middle east who are owned by their males. We as a group far too often go after the easy targets while ignoring a women who down the road is forced to wear a hijab.

Thanks for reading. Please comment below your views and please do tell me how I have no right to have an opinion as I'm a white devil.

3443

Most Helpful Girl

• The pay gap is a social issue, it isn't about women not getting paid less for the same job it's about why women aren't getting those jobs, why women are still the main child carers, why in some companies the gap is SO big (did you read the recent stats from the national survey?) which means women aren't moving up the payroll... The gap is real it just isn't as black and white as some angry people like to think.

• Why? Choice? Why are women the majority in nursery, kindergarten, teaching, gynaecology, midwifes, intepretors. Those are all female dominated sectors. And that's because that lies within their field of interest... Let's not forget biology. Men have more testoterone, thank god. But this makes men more assertive and "aggressive". Men aren't as agreeable as women are. If a guy feels he isn't getting paid enough, he will find another job and/or speak with his boss for a raise. Women are very often too afraid to do it. Women very often choose to stay home and take care of the kids, they aren't forced by society or their husband. And there is nothing wrong with taking care of your child...

• @Rembos haha son your points literally get blown to bits

Women are choosing those low wage jobs because society pushes not to overachieve and go into the high paying jobs. STEM jobs lack number of women because women since little girls had to play bake and homemaking. They were never pushed into achieving other than taking care of dumbasses like you. They’ve been conditioned to not achieve for these careers. Women are under represented because only a handful get to push around that and even then they antagonism from men. How do you like them apples?

Also, that pay gap could be wrong but it does show that culture norms and representation is not accounted for because to get a bias and accurate number they omit the fact that men and women choose different careers. When they don’t account that they factor differences in education, experience, age, location, job title, industry and even company,

• @Rembos
      The research can even reveal that the “adjusted” gender pay gap in the U. S. amounts to women earning about 94.6 cents per dollar compared to men. However, It is remarkable that a significant gap persists even after comparing male-female worker pay at the job title and company level. and that’s comparing a company that may have under representation of women. (I can provide articles and research/stats if you even care)

Don’t push your half assed logic and opinions into a topic you haven’t even studied and I suggest you take a women’s issues class because brother I’m appalled at the dumb shit you wrote and that you believe. Good bye

Most Helpful Guy

• I work at a huge public accounting firm and unlike a lot of other high paying business type industries, ours is actually very fair when it comes to gender. About half our starting hires are women and we all get the same starting pay. Raises are based on merit and the grading system is common knowledge to employees and gender (at first) doesn't seem to me to play any factor in how much folks get paid.
    Basically, the system is set up to be a gender-equal environment.

The dark side? Well, once you get a little further into the firm, progression becomes more merit based instead of time based. You're expected to learn and grow and develop into new higher roles. I have noticed that while pretty much any type of male personality can find their path upward in the firm, only certain female personality types are expected. The women are advised to change (develop is the PC term) or leave.

Put differently. A man can be nice and passive, but still move up in the firm if they showcase how smart they are. A woman of equal intelligence will not move forward if she is passive, she will be criticized for being too weak.

I agree with you, slightly, that there are differences between men and women. But I would state it differently and say that humans have different "classes" of personality types and for whatever reason, certain types seem to more frequently manifest in men than women, or vice versa.

The dangerous part of it is when we don't treat those types of personalities the same across gender lines.

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 33

• Very well structured Take. I'll have to look more into the actual subject, but it was a good read.

• I didn’t even bother reading this past the first chunk of text, where you tried to excuse whatever you were about to say by calling yourself a feminist with female friends.
    That’s like a racist excusing their racism by stating they have black friends.

• Thats hilarious, read my argument, read my mytakes i give a background and set up the position i am coming from and why... I was distancing myself from Alt-right movements who believe that the genders are completely equal ffs, i even quoted a feminist movement i really like. Emma Watson when she lead the HeForShe literally says you all have female friends, sisters, daughters mothers, so why dont you support them, I was repeating this point from her.. Please refrain from Comments like yours, I dont mind but some people would be turned against the feminist movement by purists like yourself

• stop acting like a purist then...

• But if he didn't clarify his position you would probably label him an alt right woman hater. So no matter what he types, in your eyes it's going to be a loss simply because he disagrees with what you believe.

• Says the white devil LOL. No, women don't have to executive positions because of systematic bias. It's wrong to assume that women aren't willing to put in the effort, they are, as long as guys are willing to put in the domestic and emotional work to allow them the opportunities that women have afforded men throughout history. The glass ceiling exists partially when men are unwilling to take up the slack in the home.

• So what your saying that its husbands and boyfriends holding back their counter parts? and are you calling me a white devil? XD

• Thats evolutionary, and we are coming out that age now. So what you are arguing is that on average Men get Paid more? Which of course is true and always will be there no injustice there

• I love how this came back to being men's fault. It is not a systematic problem at all, it would just be relationship based. I'm sure many men would support their SO as much as they phhysically could if she was focused on career or education. Some either can't or few wouldn't out of jealousy, but I'm sure that relationship wouldn't last long.

• I’ve always made the same amount of money as my male coworkers. Maybe different companies are different? I’m not sure if it’s a myth or not because I’ve never personally experienced it. I personally don’t think that it’s a thing that exists because I’ve never heard of it happening to anyone I know either. (If someone knows of it happening to you or someone you know please lmk I’d like to know more about it)

• Single women age 20-30 now make more than single men age 20-30

• I like this article. Sounds very professional.
    I don’t really know about the money side of things. I think if 2 people are doing the exact same job then they should be paid the exact same money.
    However I do believe there are ‘men jobs’ and ‘women’s jobs’

• Maybe women are more tolerant of pain and suffering: childbirth. Do not speak up out of fear: spiders. Do not negociate high wages: non-gamblers. Generalised, illinformed little novice 😊

• You have proved my point, even younger more uninformed smaller novice

• Wired Magazine talked about a study that showed women are, in general, bad at negotiating salary, so that's a part of it. I think that article was in 2017.

• Myths in general are bassed on a lack of understanding.

• I know I do not know much about this issue. But I believe that you write that we have to work with men to resolve this issue. For me, I am tired of hearing the complaints of the pay gap. Everyone is going to get paid differently regardless of your race, religion, or sex. It is based off the experience that one has or the effort that they put into the job. They should be thankful that they even have a job and can sustain themselves because there are people out there who can't.

• I think I read somewhere that it isn't a myth, but it's not a severe gap. Like $0.97 to the dollar. Not a huge disparity, but still an issue. Also, single women, without kids, make even more than women with kids and even men, I think it's like 1.03.

• It's not a problem. If you compare any two existing measurements expect a slight difference. No two people are the exact same height for example (very often)

• @redrocket68 Biologically speaking, men strive to be the alpha, and reaching high in your career is just modern society's version of becoming the alpha.

• @redrocket68 it's not a problem if you're the one coming out on top, sure.

• While you didn't entirely explain your belief that its a myth, it was a well written mytake.

• I agree that there isn't a pay gap. Women and men just make different choices and I don't think there is anything wrong with that. Even though people might regret those choices down the road, it's still important to allow them to make them.
    I want to be an accountant, but I also want to take a year off if I ever have kids and then work part time. This would drastically affect my earning power but to me it would be worth it.

• In my experience I have made the same money as any man doing the same job..

• I am a woman and in most cases I would say that this assumption is a myth.

• Its equal determined by qualifications. I know well paid men and women just dont be so lazy and stop debating about the small stuff so you can concentrate on kicking mens asses

• The gender gap isn't a "myth", it's just that there is a lot of misinformation about it. You brought these points up yourself; the free market, and men having higher positions. Because of these reasons, there is a gender pay gap, but only when it applies to high level jobs and competitive pay occupations. Women have a tendency to not negotiate their pay, or not ask for enough when negotiating. This leads to a pay different between what men at that level and women at that level make. Also, for whatever reasons, women tend to not get promoted to higher positions at the same rate as men. Whether this is because of a hiring bias, or because women choose to not seek the position in favor of a home life, or countless other reasons why this could be happening, the fact of the matter is that men tend to hold higher positions than women. This pay gap isn't seen at entry level jobs like Taco Bell, Wal-Mart, or telecommunications.

• Thanks for explaining the subtleties of this issue.

"Also, for whatever reasons, women tend to not get promoted to higher positions at the same rate as men." Managers report that women don't put the time in at this level, and so don't get the results that men do. Women tend to spend more time with their families rather than work 60 hours a week. But business wants the best person for the job, and if that's a woman, they have no problem hiring a woman. A woman is one of the top sales people at my company. Because she used to do what I do she knows how to sell the product really well.

In fact she got "sales person of the month" so often they simply quit doing that! :)

• We have plenty of women in supervisor positions at my company. And I worked under a woman who managed programmers, she did great! It's not easy managing programmers because they tend to take everything literally. Due to the nature of their job they can't assume anything at all or 40 hours of work could be wasted, and that means overtime for the programmer, and most programmers don't get paid overtime.

• Your post sounds good :) I do not know so much about this area. Thank you :)

• I don't know if it is true where I work. Payroll is such a personal thing.

• I agree that it is a myth

• I noticed a disturbing lack of empirical data.

• I'm not sure my points needed data as they are logic based

• That made no sense whatsoever.

• What I was saying is that the points I made. Cannot be reflected in Data for example. The fact a man and women are different would you want me to load us statistics of men and women being different,

• It exists in third world countries. :(

• Ah yes i meant to do a bit on that! I sort of mentioned it in the conclusion, that we should focus on the third world and helping women there.. Thats if you genuinly care about the well being of women and not just selfish

• He should have addressed that. This is a website for users from all countries. "This is America" doesn't apply here.

• I should of specified I was talking about purely Western Societies... I will in future...

• More from Girls
    13

What Guys Said 42

• I'd still call statistical discrimination from employers , say from thinking that women are equally capable on the job but are more likely to quit their job to stay at home than men , discrimination.

I've seen several studies that attribute the pay gap in women's pay to choosing jobs with more non-monetary compensation and less time demands, but that alone can't disprove discrimination either since if you face more discrimination based on monetary pay or in jobs with long hours it makes sense to avoid that too.

It's interesting and I don't think there's consensus in the economics profession on the scale or existence of gender pay discrimination. Blau and Kahn have a survey article called "The Gender Wage Gap: Extent, Trends, and Explanations" that reviews much of the current research. I think Riach and Rich's research using experiments where they take identical resumes and change the name and gender to see the results are also interesting, "An Experimental Investigation of Sexual Discrimination in Hiring in the English Labor Market" is a more recent one by them.

• Very intelligent Mytake. But your opinion doesn't matter because you're the patriarchy. Down with the man! Literally!

• Very good points. Both my sister and her husband are medical doctors (they were classmates in med school), but he works more and has a more demanding specialty. Guess who earns more and which one of them spends more time with the kids?

• Stopped reading at 'feminist'. The headline is right though. It's a myth that's been disproven numerous times. But everything about leftards is based on lies, envy, and hate, so they'll just keep trying to spread that lie.

The west needs a thousand Pinochets.

• Honestly the pay gap is directly tied to the spending gap. As women spend more than men, yet earn less the motivation for men to succeed becomes quite clear.
    The issue is that gain is tied to risk, women also don't fall in the lower financial brackets as much (the glass slipper). Without a willingness to fail, you can never succeed.
    Want to smash the glass cealing, smash the glass slipper.

• The gender-pay gap is based on faulty data. Men get paid more on average, because jobs in math and science are fields that men overall have excelled in more than women.

This has NOTHING to do with "keeping women out". Girls for some reason, has a lower average interest level in math and science than their male counterparts.

• Isn't is always fascinating that feminists and SJWs NEVER complain that there are more homeless men than women, more men in prison than women, more men committing suicide than women, more men going to war than women, more men in dangerous jobs than women, and more men offering themselves up to be part of something greater than women? I've always found that interesting.

• You are not “for women” if all your take is doing is giving a pass for most of the men here to come and bash women on the premise that in reality there is a pay gap. So this so called feminist post is cancelled

• I regret that some people have taken it that way, but i've had interesting discussions and defended feminism a lot on other my takes and questions... "cancelling" my speech is ridiculous and wrong because people have taken it different ways

• Honestly don’t bother to call yourself a “feminist” if you’re gonna be selective about issues you support and go the half mile to support women on issues that really affect them

• I am for the equality of Genders and I believe women are treated worse in some areas.. Ill come my self what i want and will select what issues I believe are issues and to prevent a boy cried wolf effect... I am a independent thinker.. How dare you tell me what I can and can't be and what I can and can't say...

• yeah preach all you want. feminists will always be like "look at average male income and average female income. they're men earn more. this is inequality hurr durr"... they won't get smarter.

• I work for an umbrella company who provide payroll solutions to contractors and self employed workers.

Most of our contractors have to decide their own pay and on average the girls get paid more.

• Its a lot narrower than we think than the current 76 cents to a dollar. How much, is impossible to say.

• It is in the US anyway. Disproportionate? Yes. Unfair? Depends on your perspective.

• Women earn less as an overall because they chose less lucrative majors at university. It's their own choice.

• Well technically not. Average woman makes less than the average man. But that doesn't really matter if the average woman works in a field with lower average wages.

Anyways, good post.

• Black men make 68% of what white women earn... Black women make LESS when they work for white women than when they work for white men... where are feminists on this fact? quiet... why?

• Because it doesn't fit the "white men are evil and the cause of all the worlds problems narrative."

• No it isn’t a myth! Why do Male Pornstars make less than Female! Bullshit! Absolute bullshit.

• Average work-time per day is 8,5 hours for men, 7,6 for women (also men work more on weekends).

That means women work 11% less than men. Add to it that men also pick jobfields that are on average higher paying and boom. No more 20% wage gap. But sociologist aren't exactly known to be good with statistics and maths - which is why they put ALL women and ALL men together into the same basket rather than full time and part time workers rather than making distinctions there to begin with. And also why they don't compare same work positions, etc.

This smart black man already explained it decades ago, but people are still just as retarded:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_sGn6PdmIo

• The insidious fact is any of them can know it with a quick ride through Google. But it does not fit the victim narrative. What they want it equal pay for unequal work. It's the same with the whole bushel of victimization/entitlement enthusiasts. While I'm in this brief rant, a quick look at "white privilege". Does it exist? To an extent yes. Is it fair? To an extent, yes. Why? Because white men invented ALMOST EVERYTHING in the modern world, including the best form of government... the "republic"... representative democracy, which encourages innovation. It's admittedly taken a while, but ANYONE can achieve like Donald Trump if they are willing to work for it.
    OK. Where are my meds? Oops. I don' t take any. Just Jim Beam.

• Good MyTake! I think your point about women being different than men is the most important point, actually.

I work with a bunch of women now for the first time, and usually worked with mostly or all men in the past. It has become apparent to me that the average woman takes more time off than the average man. (Please note I say average). Whether it is for health reasons, stress, or personal issues, taking a day off seems to be a regular occurance. The average guy takes very little time off in my experience. So what I am saying is that, when promotion time comes along, who gets the job? The person who takes 4 weeks off a year in total sick days and personal leave, or the one who shows up almost every day? I think that is an important factor in workplace advancement.

• It’s a TOTAL myth. I feel so bad for women who believe it

• More from Guys
    22