Disproving the Gender Pay Gap

ThatJarHead

Hey, everyone! Just because I am tired of hearing people on G@G preaching the "Gender Pay Gap" I decided I would make a little article disproving it for anyone and everyone to refer to should a feminist bring it up.

Without further ado, let's get into it!

Disproving the Gender Pay Gap

What is the Gender Pay Gap?

Disproving the Gender Pay Gap

The gender pay gap is the difference between women’s and men’s average weekly full-time equivalent earnings, expressed as a percentage of men’s earnings.

Let's take a look at that "definition" shall we?

The first thing we need to look at is the wording "average weekly full-time equivalent earnings" what does that mean? It means that it's the calculation of the average earnings between men and women. Now you might think the definition lines up with the feminist definition, but it doesn't. By that I mean, feminists see that as "the dollars men make per hour vs women" when in reality it means "The total amount of money that men make versus the amount of money that women make" it's a comparison of total gross wages/salaries not the dollar per hour.

Why is the "Gender Pay Gap" Wrong?

Disproving the Gender Pay Gap

Well, first things first, it's a study that shows the average earnings of men to women. It doesn't account for key factors such as:

-Career Choices

-Education

-Tenure

-Experience

-Negotiation

-Hours

Basically, it's not proving that men are paid more than women on the dollar but that men make more money overall. A dollar on a man's paycheck is worth the same amount as a dollar on a woman's paycheck. Gender-based pay bias is impossible to have as it is a federal law in mostly all first-world countries that men and women be paid equally.

Here are some examples:

Canada: https://www.ontario.ca/laws/statute/90p07

United States: https://www.eeoc.gov/laws/statutes/epa.cfm

United Kingdom: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/15/contents

Those are just a few prime examples.

Basically, why should an open heart surgeon be paid as much as a social worker? That is, of course, a vague example but is definitely a good example.

Can you disprove it with easy logic?

Yes, I definitely can!

Disproving the Gender Pay Gap

If a company can pay women less than men, why hire men at all? They can just hire all women and enjoy a HUGE market advantage! So, if it were true, all companies are completely stupid in their hiring processes! Here's proof of what I say.

Walmart makes roughly 118,179.00 US Dollars every three months in MILLIONS. Making it roughly 486 BILLION dollars at the end of every fiscal year according to the Walmart yearly financial reports. Walmart spends roughly 25,576.00 million dollars every three months on Selling/General/Administration. So that would mean a rough estimate could be made that good old Wally World spends over 15 million dollars every three months on its employees in the US. That is, of course, an estimate by me as they don't have the actual expenses on labour public (that I could find). If anybody finds the actual number I will put it in here, but I couldn't find it after searching through as many documents, PDFs and financial reports as I could find.

So if we estimate that Wally World spends 15 million dollars on employees and have an equal number of men to women employed they spend 8 million on men and 7 million on women if the gender pay gap were to exist. So why not fire all the men and enjoy a cool 8 million in savings on labour costs every three months?

They don't because, in reality, they spend 7.5 million on men and 7.5 million on women. They spend an equal amount on men to women. Well, to be fair they probably spend more on women because they hire more women than men, but that's beside the point.

The point is if a huge money hungry company like Walmart could enjoy a huge amount of savings by hiring all women because they can be paid less, why don't they? Because men and women are paid the same. If they fired all of the men they would be enjoying a market advantage sure, but they would get the same market advantage if they dropped all the women. So there's no point.

In short, the pay gap is bullsh*t. If a feminist pulls the "Men are paid more than women" card send her here.

Just as a little note, I realise this may not be the best-written thing I've ever supplied to G@G and please let me know of any citations I need to make and I will make them. Thanks!

Anywho, thanks for reading!

Cheers!

~Jarhead

Disproving the Gender Pay Gap
5
10
5Girl Opinion
10Guy Opinion

Most Helpful Guy

• BlueCoyote
    Actually, the gender pay gap still exists but it is smaller than usually claimed. For example in Germany, a study found that women earn less than men due to factors as the ones you've mentioned above. Hence, the researchers' result was that the 21%-claim the German government makes is probably not true. However, - and this is where it gets interesting - the researchers couldn't make out complete pay equality even after accounting for the variables you've mentioned. In the end, there was still roughly a 6%-difference.
    It's also important to mention that some of the variables are due to a more subtle sexism deeply rooted in western society. A good example for this is the claim that "women earn less because they have children and end up working less". That is indeed true but the very fact that it's mostly women who end up staying at home looking after the children is problematic in my opinion. Many men these days like to see themselves as progressive and considerate of their girlfriend's or wife's wish to work and have a career but when push comes to shove, the large majority of men still expect their female partners to do the biggest part of household chores and child nursing (possibly with a small part-time job) while the man is out making big bucks. Most men talk big about supporting the idea of equality but once the children are actually born, very few of them say to their wife "okay, let's find a way for each of us to work 50% and be home 50%".
    Another example is the problem of looking after one's elderly parents. Many people who are in their 40s or 50s and trying to make progress in their careers are suddenly held back by the fact that their parents have become very old, sick and need lots of care. In some cases, this makes working for money on the side almost impossible or at least extremely exhausting. Imagine looking after your mom who's got dementia because you can't afford a professional, full-time nurse for her and at the same time also work. This is a problem not just in America with its bad health care system but also in European countries. In theory, I'm sure people would say that all the children should help to care after their sick parents. However, when you look at the numbers, it's almost exclusively daughters who perform the large part of the work. And just in case you want to argue that they do it voluntarily: I very much doubt that because it's freaking exhausting and having to interrupt one's career isn't fun for anyone.
    LikeDisagree 11 People
    Is this still revelant?
    • thetea

I agree with everything you're saying and, as a German, I would like to add that the pay gap also differs here, depending on the field you're working in. For example, the pay gap in medicine is quite small while female chemists can receive up to 20% less than their male colleagues.

• BlueCoyote

@thetea Yes, I agree. In the US they apparently only look at the over all pay difference but in Germany and also here in Switzerland (and probably in some other European countries as well), they actually break it down to the different fields and the pay inequality still exists in many of them.

• Take experience, benefits, negotiated pay, tenure, education and hierarchy into account and all studies "proving women are paid less because they are women" fall apart.

Most Helpful Girl

• W31rd0
    Actually, the claim that men are paid more than women is not false. It was true at an earlier time; now it's outdated. Something that was true at an earlier time does not mean that that thing is false. It's just outdated.

Currently, there is more of an effort to push girls into male-dominated careers that are well-paid and considered safe (STEM careers) and that are in positions of power and status (politics, business, finance).

I think it's hypocritical for a feminist to push girls into STEM careers and not encourage them to become soldiers, believing that girls should be protected, even though it is an honor to fight and defend the country as footsoldiers and die on the battlefield. Girls should be encouraged to go into Construction and Emergency Services (mainly fire-fighting and street-patrolling), because while those are male-dominated, they don't get much attention from feminists. :P
    LikeDisagree 10 People
    Is this still revelant?
    • Women do not earn 75 cents on the dollar for the same work men do. The mere notion of that happening here and now is ridiculous. Just because on average men have a bigger paycheck doesn't mean that it's discrimination. Women are allowed into STEM fields. It's nobodies fault but women's that they choose not to go into them.

• W31rd0

I meant factory work in the 19th century. Factory owners knew that they could pay women less for the same work, so guess what? They did hire women and children to perform the work for less pay. Small children had small hands, so they could risk their own lives as they entered the machines to fix something. This was before labor laws were in place to protect workers.

• Zinkr7

The claim that women currently are paid less than men is false.
      I get your point at trying to be technical but it's flawed given the actual claim.

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

49
  • Izumiblu
    Here's a great video that explains teh myth of the gender pay gap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oqyrflOQFc&feature=youtu.be
    LikeDisagree 10 People
  • nalaa
    Research consistently finds that in most (but not all) areas women get paid less, even if you control the factors you mentioned.

I really think the "wage gap is a myth" myth has gotten way more popular that the original myth. Every week here you see a take just like yours but you never see a take debunking the myths you're spreading here.

No the gap today is not as big as it was claimed back then (like decades ago) but what you claim is also not true
    cdn-images-1.medium.com/.../0*8o93JhtcHT3qJBU7.jpg
    scholar.harvard.edu/.../goldin_aeapress_2014_1.pdf
    www.aauw.org/.../...ummary-and-Recommendations.pdf

images.techtimes.com/.../gender-pay-gap-png.png

And then there is this argument of life choices. Well especially if you look careers individually, "life choices" is essentially a different word for having children, which men and women deal with differently.
    But it takes two tango and if women are carrying the main burden, I don't think it's unreasonable to point that out
    LikeDisagree 10 People
    • Zinkr7

I think a good estimation is about 93 cents on the dollar which is a gap.
      But the problem is, while it could be "internalized sexism", more likely it falls on such factors such that men are more likely to ask for a raise. (7% I think it was, I don't recall. Search Maddox Wage Gap on youtube, and you should find the exact numbers.)

• Just because women make less on average doesn't make it sexism or discrimination. It's simply the fact that women CHOOSE lower paying jobs, join the workforce later in life and tend not to have education prevalent to the job. Women also enjoy much more benefits in the workplace.

• nalaa

@Zinkr7 Ya maybe that's the case. But frankly we don't know enough to make that statement, which is why scientists, generally don't.
      So that's what annoys me, despite there being so much certainty, people like the take owner go out announcing there is no gender gap, which is an idea they got based on nothing but assumptions.

@ThatJarHead Clearly didn't read my reply. Even if you control for those factors, you get a gap

• ProjectBaby1K
    The gender pay gap is a MYTH. 💩 It has been debunked and disproved so many times that I can dismantle that argument, build it back up, then dismantle it again 100 times over. 😂

Although I agree with this MyTake, isn't doing any good. The SJW-PC Feminist are allergic to logic/reasoning and won't bother reading past the title. But good take nonetheless.
    Like 5 People
    • Thank you very much. Sadly, what you say is true.

• Iraqveteran666
    Ssshhh you can't use logic and facts to disprove the gender pay gap as that is basically taking the key stone of all of third wave femin
    Like 7 People
  • Kirah
    Nice take. Straight to the point.

Anyone who still buys into the "77 cents" statistic is dumb.
    Like 8 People
    • They aren't necessarily dumb or moronic. They've just been misled and don't question things or do any research to fact check what they hear.

• Jamesol1

Dumb = don't question things or do any research to fact check what they hear.

• Zinkr7

@Jamesol1
      Given the extent of the wage gaps propaganda spread, it's probably really easy to find sources that seem like great fact checks that really aren't, honestly.

• Hihikinn
    In my country, most jobs don't hire woman or fire woman once she gets pregnant or wanna use maternal leaves. So women can't help but get some jobs where give much more opportunities to women and they pay little mostly. Even if women who never marry can't be promoted just becauae she is a woman. No law to protect them. That causes gender pay gap and I don't know another countries' case. Women are forced to choose jobs which pay less.
    Disagree 2 People
    • You obviously aren't in a country which falls under the Universal Declaration of Human Rights by the United Nations and is therefore third-world so it doesn't apply to this take. Thanks for the info though. What country do you come from? I'd like to research this statement.

• So your country's not the US then?

• rjroy3
    It's far easier just to say the true statement, "No economist takes the Gender Pay Gap as it is defined seriously, because it is not true. It is a myth". Sprinkle some knowledge on them:

www.businessinsider.com/harvard-economist-explains-the-gender-wage-gap-2016-3

then walk away
    Like 5 People
  • Jager66
    You should check out the Gender Tax Gap.

www.girlsaskguys.com/.../a32803-the-real-gender-gap-the-tax-gap
    Disagree 3 People
    • There's also a luxury tax on toilet paper, deodorant, and underpants I disagree that there's a "gender tax"

• Jager66

okay so you didn't even click the link... You're "argument" has nothing to do with what I'm talking about.

• Any argument for the existence of a gender-based economic inequality in the modern first world is inherently false.

• John_Doesnt
    It's also against the law for Catholic priests to molests boys and for companies to be racist. So I guess those things don't actually exist.
    Your logic.
    Disagree 4 People
    • Seeing as companies with employees report directly to the government about their expenses and earnings my logic is sound. Your analogy is preposterous.

• the Catholic church is non-profit, which means it reports everything to the government and the public has access to their records as well.
      We haven't seen any reports of child molestation, so I guess it never happens according to you.

• The acts of the priests aren't reported to the government. The income of the church is. If they had to report on the dealings of the priests we would see those statistics. Besides, you can't say a stereotype is whole truth. That's like saying all men are rapists.

• disgustingweebtrash
    This take should be shown to EVERY single person that buys into this bullshit.
    Like 4 People
  • Bananaman177
    If you could pay women 25-30% less, EVERY COMPANY WOULD HIRE NOTHING BUT WOMEN...
    Like 1 Person
  • Tony1974
    Bravo! Precise and to the point.
    Like 6 People
    • Thank you my friend!

• Tony1974

You're welcome. Are you a marine?

• Canadian Special Forces actually

• lumberman9
    Exactly glad someone pointed this out
    Like 2 People