Do You Believe Poor People Are Poor Because They're Bad With Money?

In the UK it's constantly on the news but people are living in poverty and the other day my friend was complaining he was poor even though I earn way less than him and blaming the government for it whilst on his apple laptop with his iPhone next to him which is on contract and wearing a Fred Perry shirt and Nike trainers, sipping from his Starbucks. I jokingly called him out on it and said the only reason your poor is because you spend your money on crap you don't need and he called me a cheeky bitch😂 because he didn't have a augment to back himself up with.

I always see these families who are in "poverty" on the news and I can't help but laugh because they usually have a sky box in the living room and Apple products and a land drover on the front and wearing Nike tracksuits and the mother never looks like she's starving if you get what I mean. Don't get me wrong I feel bad for the children in that family but there parents clearly need educating on how to spend money wisely.

I grew up in a working class family of five my mother works in a supermarket and was working two jobs at one time and my father is a painter and decorator and he worked so much I hardly saw him.

We only had a tiny TV with free view on till I was 16 and would get all are clothes as handy downs or from this cheap shop called fame and fashions and we only had my dads van and my mum's little red car. my mum and dad always made ends meet and we always had food on the table and I've actually been to eleven country's before I was even 20 because we saved for nice holidays instead of having the latest iPhone's and going out every night and people would always get jealous and didn't understand why we could afford it when it's because they made sacrifices and worked hard so we could have a nice life and a grate childhood.

people who have more then we did back then are saying their in poverty now and there child are depressed because they can't afford a Apple tablet for them at Christmas sorry but do you ever hear children living poverty in Africa complaining that there depressed, no you don't. you give them a football and they'll love you forever. Only recently did I get my own bedroom as I was sharing with my older sister and we had a bump bed and my friends looked shocked when I told them and thought I was poor because of that.

Now because my mum and dad saved I've learnt to be good with money as well and we are a wealthy family now. I think so many people are just lazy and materialistic now a days and expect something for nothing. If you want to be rich you have to work your butt off and save even if you don't like it but at the end off the day it their money and they can spend it how they please but don't go complaining when your broke.

P.s. sorry for any grammar or spelling mistakes I have dyslexia.

2448

Most Helpful Guy

• Some yes, but many no.
    I am poor because I was denied opportunities many other people get.

Many poor people work horrible jobs, put in incredibly long hours and work their asses off. Are they lazy? Obvouslly not.

But let’s look at at why many people are bad with money. Is it because they are stupid? No.

It’s time that as a society we recognize the fact that many people don’t know how to live properly.
    For example the people you mentioned that spend the little money they have on frivolous items are not doing it because they’re stupid. They are trying to fill a hole in their life the only way they know how. This hole was created by bad upbringing and society at large. We live in a society that tells you every single day that happiness is wealth and that happiness is possessions and that happiness is capitalism. In desperation to fill the void in their life they do exactly what they’ve been systematically trained to do by society. Buy shit. Now given that the vast majority have no idea why they do things, is it their fault? Nope.

What you’re doing is looking at the superficial reasons why people are poor and not the larger picture.
    It’s time that as a society we started to look at mental illness and poorly brought up people and realize that it is something that we have to deal with in order to improve our own lives and the lives around us.
    Now considering that over half the homeless people in New York City for example are diagnosed schizophrenics, is it a surprise to you that they are bad at this or that? Should we leave them in the gutter because they may choose to buy cigarettes to stave off the feelings of desperation, lonlyness, rejection and cornucopia of other issues they face, just to feel ok for a night? Or are we doing a great disservice to them by dismissing them as having made poor choices, therefore they ‘do it to themselves? Why did they make those choices?

Let me tell you something. No well adjusted person with opportunities and promise would choose to be poor, living in misery.

I am poor. Not because I choose to be. I was fucked over by this life. And to see how well off people think of me and people like me makes me sick. I reject their ignorant judgements. I spit in the face of this society and the selfishness of dismissing people because you don’t understand them.

• I understand there are many components to being poor but being bad with money is one the main reason and yes sometimes it is due to mental illness like you said and people take advantage of them and sell them alcohol and drugs and I'm not discriminating I think it has a lot to do with education and I think the government should do something to make sure the most vulnerable people in society are well educated on spending their money wisely so they can improve their wealth and have a more stable life

• "No well adjusted person with opportunities and promise would choose to be poor, living in misery."
      Well said! Bravo!
      FINALLY someone understands.

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm not even going to read what you wrote. I can't stand people putting poor people down, especially using the excuse of them having "nicer things" than them. Earns less than you... honey... it's not just about earning power but opportunities, experiences... and so much more. No, poor people are not bad with money. It's because people like you discriminate and judge others.

• WHAT! I'm discriminated against anyone I'm simply asking a question and I just wrote from own experiences, I have very mixed opinions on this that's why I was asking.

• Well, there are 100's of thousands of unfilled truck driving jobs where you can be middle class your first year. $60K+. The school is 8 weeks long and you can get a loan to pay for the whole thing with job placement. Trucking companies are begging people to go. At some point people have to be responsible for themslves

• I wish i could thumbs down this comment 100000000000000000000000 times

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 47

• it can be a matter of being bad with money but it can be a number of other potential reasons.

• Poor is a lifestyle - a long string of decisions and behaviors - it isn't a state of finances.

Many wealthy people have been completely broke or even severely in debt during parts of their lives. Being broke, or even being in debt, didn't make them "poor" - because they still behaved like rich people, and in almost all cases, they were soon back to having money again.

Poor people are poor because they make decisions that poor people make. For some, it's a lack of intelligence (it may not be politically correct to say so, but some people just aren't that bright), but for most, it's that they aren't willing to work hard (refuse to work, or are lazy, or don't get work done at their job) or delay gratification (they can't save money because they spend every cent they make the second they get paid, even if it's on complete crap that does nothing for them). They always prioritize instant gratification (booze, drugs, buying consumer goods) over saving money to improve their long-term future. They also tend to undervalue education, and so they do little to make themselves more valuable as an employee or potential business partner.

Plenty of poor people have managed to work their way into the upper class - but they mostly went about it by working hard and behaving in such a way as to maximize the value of their earnings. In western countries - in the US especially - it's not all that difficult to work your way to at least the middle class. But it means not being drunk or high daily, and not taking your paycheck to the mall and blowing it on $500 shoes and tons of jewelry when you don't even have transportation to work.

• Here's a good example:

You take 1000 poor people, and you give each one of them $1M. After a year, you'd likely find:

- 5 of them have more than $1M in assets - and probably started successful businesses.
      - 50 of them own a decent home outright and saved a portion of the rest (and most of these will be older folks)
      - 50 own houses, but nothing else of real value.

The other 895 have a year-old car or two, some new clothes, consumer electronics, jewelry, and are completely broke and back to being poor. They spent tons on booze, drugs, and consumer goods, but little or nothing on real assets, and now they own nothing of significant value, despite being handed $1M a year before.

THAT is why poor people are poor.

• I think this is generally quite true. I think many (not all) in poverty make poor choices with the money they have and fail to make wise choices in the way they move forward in life. Not being willing to work hard for minimum wage and seeing themselves as too good for a job, or to learn, places them in poverty. Most people could climb out of poverty and do great things with their lives if they were willing to take the time and put in the energy needed to do so. And yet... so few people are willing to take the time and put the effort in. There is a mentality that people fall into which prevents them from climbing out of poverty. The same mentality may be seen in those who play games with ranking systems only to find themselves in lower ranks. I've played League of Legends for years. The mentality of those in bronze rankings and silver ranking is often "I deserve better, it's the fault of others that I am where I am," rather than striving for improvement they are content with blaming others for their faulty thinking and poor behavior. I think it's very much a matter of poor work ethic and behavior. Not to say this is always the case... but I feel it is the case more often than not in our modern society.

• Rich people can also be poor. Monthly income does not show what you do with your life.
    Is it expensive shit or cheap shit - it doesn't matter. Shit makes a shitty person who doesn't know what they do with their life, who is an arrogant dick.
    Examples.
    John comes from a materially poor family. However, his parents care for him since childhood and travel with him when there is an opportunity, go to different attractions in their town. John has hobbies and loves doing sport. He has friends that love his company because he is fun and easy to be with. Hobbies, friends, sport and family form a person who seeks harmony with the world. For that reason he is curious what is really good for him and the closest ones. For that reason, in its turn he is thinking "What advantages gives me buying this or that".
    Now Bob has rich parents that almost hate each other and their child and do not give any control, support or whatsoever. Good habits dont stick to Bob. Uncontrolled love for expensive toys, sweets etc evolves into addictions and shape a personality whose priorities are how to be cool, better than everybody else and how to receive instant quick pleasure.
    Now where the question "What advantages gives me buying this or that" might come from? Maybe addictions and arrogance lead to this question? Maybe Bob wants quickly to pleasure himself and thus the question comes to his mind? Nope.
    Expensive shit made Bob a dumbhead, while cheap care and control based on love made John a nice and thinking person.
    You operate with consequenses, but the reasons are what you really need.

• No, there are a lot of different reasons why people are poor. I doubt Mr. Shapiro had much of a struggle in his upbringing. It is true that a lot of people are very bad with money, but a lot of people who aren't are poor nonetheless. Most personal bankruptcies in the US are due to health issues.

• Nope people are poor because they are poor. although i like Ben but i would have to disagree on this with him. His logic and evidence is faulty. People who buy lottery tickets in general know they are wasting money but do it anyway so they would be a poor example why people are poor and they are bad with money.

• Definitely not. I have a good friend who lives on welfare. His family moved to Canada from Korea, and their qualifications weren’t recognized so they had to run a crappy motel and are still very poor. They’re not bad with money, they’ve just struggled to find good paying work.

• Maybe they should go back to Korea.

• I'm all for helping the handicapped and "real" mentally ill. However if you have 2 good arms and 2 good legs, you'll have to pull your own weight or starve, just like everybody else and no life ain't always fair. When you grow up and get a job and see way too many other people expecting the rest of us to fix their woes you'll agree with us. Most people get more conservative as they age, trust me

• @imwithstupid That’s Conservative, that’s just callous

• As far as in developed countries, poor people are poor because they made bad decisions.

In the US, EVERY poor person made a bad decision, usually more than one. Common ones are: Dropping out of school, getting pregnant without being in a financially stable marriage, getting divorced, being lazy, using drugs or excessive alcohol, and not insuring their income.

• While the culture in a family of course also plays a role there's more to it then that:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9UmdY0E8hU

• For some yes, for others no.

I'm poor because I earn like $3k a year at the moment. But that being said I only spend it on necessities (phone, fuel etc). If I had lots of money, I wouldn't be poor, but there are others out there who would spend money before they even got it.

• 0|0
    • Ah, yes, the "everyone can be rich, they just have to have lots of people working for them" book. I saw it more as a lesson in how to spot when you're being exploited.

• It's about life circumstances. Not everyone can be rich and not everyone can be poor. Even those that do the work and go to school live paycheck to paycheck... well... at least in the USA.

• This is why I wholeheartedly believe in starting your own business. Why should you make someone else rich? You may not get rich quick by starting your own business, but at least it will give you the freedom and time that a 9-5 (sorry... now it's it seems to be the standard is 9-6) can't give you.

• You can only get rich if you have people working for you; if everybody started their own company, there would still be "companies" that had to work 9-5: the ones that actually do the work rather than organising it.

• Being "bad with money" is probably the last reason I think someone is poor. But then again, I don't know much as bout the lives of actual Americans. In my country poverty is heridetry and there is almost no social or economic mobility. Also, Americans are very ungrateful about actually having that mobility.

• Yes, because they've never had money they don't know how to manage it. Managing money is an acquired skill. Sadly, being poor is a positive feedback loop, because they're poor they don't know how to manage money, and because they don't know how to manage money they remain poor. Now they might not have started being poor because of their poor money management skills, but they aren't going to dig their way out if they don't acquire some. There's a reason rich people are stingy, and a reason why stingy people are rich.

• You doing good for a dyslexic, totally agree, work hard and you will be wealthy, spend wisely and you will be happy, save money and you will be a rich man/woman.

• Being bad with money. Being bad about getting jobs. Being unmotivated. Being lazy. Expecting things to be handed to you. Expecting things to be easy.

Part of this is that people are not taught about money. We have people in school who learned that prince so-and-so married princes so-and-so in 1248, but they have no clue how to pay their bills, how much groceries cost, or how to fill out a simple tax form.

A very big part is that people don't learn the value of thrift. They don't have money for a very simple reason. Because they spend it as soon as they get it, on things they don't need.

But yea, it all boils down to being bad with money - how to get it, and what to do with it once they have it.

• I only consider a person poor when they have no money. Making $100,000 a year and spending $99,000 of it does not mean you're poor, just bad at managing money.

• It depends. There are people who were born poor and didn't have resources to get out of it.

On the other hand, I see former NFL and NBA athletes go broke after blowing all their fortune.

• there's a number of reasons someone can be poor. but if someone was born poor and never had enough money to save in the first place how can they be there because they are bad with money.

• they have to get off their dead ass and do something to help their situation

• Depends, but I must admit most "poor people" I've seen spent their money on useless stuff like brand clothes, or cigarettes.

• More from Guys
    27

What Girls Said 23

• Being bad with money is one thing, sure. But if you're born into poverty, and you live in a country where education costs anything from 10-100k +, you're kinda screwed. Not being able to get a higher education + not having the money to look nice for interviews will definitely make it a lot harder for you to get a job that pays well. Some people also end up poor because of extreme circumstances. Like having to pay a shit ton of money for a surgery or some sort of treatment for an ongoing health problem. Losing their home and belongings because of natural disasters. Stuff like that. If it always was as simple as just becoming "better" with money, a lot less people would be poor.

• Some people are so ignorant of their own situation that they don't help themselves. Some people try and try and keep getting knocked back and shat on until they finally just give up.

Some people work all the hours god sends, never see their families as a result and still end up on the streets homeless...

It can be really really difficult to drag yourself up from nothing, when you live in an area that has no opportunity. When you may not have had the best start it is fucking hard to drag yourself up to the same level other people just take for granted. Like having a car... or a holiday.

I was poor when I was a child. Very poor, even by UK standards. I also didn't finish school so left with no qualifications. I now earn more than most people in my area and could be earning a whole lot more if I moved away so being poor doesn't mean you have to stay poor, but in Britain we are still so set in our class system that it hampers what we think we can achieve. We have PostCode Lotteries for health, schooling, jobs etc... it is much harder to see the possibility for your own advancement when you're given so little compared to those that are succeeding.

What I'm saying is it's super shitty that even in this country there is so much inequality for our young people and this has a big effect on what we think is and isn't possible.

• Tbh , if he is complaining about that , he is prolly complaining in most situations. My family is like we can't afford expensive cars or things but my parents also work really hard to afford my education (which is the most important), and I don't call my family poor , because I know other families who can't even afford education or food are poor.

• and I agree just by sitting there talking shit about how 'poor' they are, they can choose to work more or harder

• There is some element of choice of course, but overwhelmingly the academic consensus is that society ultimately contributes to the poor staying poor.

• I can agree with that even though in my experience my family came out wealthy were not that wealthy because of everyday things like taxes and bills were still the poorest people in the street even though we have the biggest house

• But I understand in other countries if you don't have a great education, it's very difficult but in England I just don't believe anyone is living in poverty unless they are living in streets

• Minimum wage is still considered poverty. It’s not ideal but I congratulate you for your hard work.

• Depends on who, some people like my parents had a hard time struggling to keep our home and we never bought anything expensive, we barely had furniture...
    But I can't really feel bad for the ones that spends lots of money and are broke because of it.
    I have a friend that buys expensive things but then complains about being broke.

• I don't believe this. you went to 11 countries before you were 20 and you are judging others for buying iphones and eating junk food? Pic or it didn't happen! Also how is a minimum wage earning person with 5 children to support supposed to travel to 11 countries.

• Firstly who's got five children? And if they didn't spend their money on crap like IPhone's, there is plenty of cheaper phones out there what do exactly the same what they could have instead so they would be able to save for nice holidays

• The way I see it. I was born poor and I am going to die poor. My mom came here illegal and she never ever bought anything extra. I am talking about we didn't eat somedays growing up. The only way I got a new 20$ video game as a kid was if I saved my birthday money. I use to help mom work as a janitor. So I would be pick up trash and vacuuming a dealership at age 10. I grew up fast and rarely saw my mom home. I basically was responsible for my brother since I was 7 years old. There was a time in my life I never wanted anything from the world. Like I litearlly didn't want to buy things. Fast foward and now I have to say, I am older and I want everything. I guess I wake up one day and said I want that. So, I got a job so I could buy my make-up and my clothes. Because that was what makes me happy. You feel neglected growing up poor and kinda of envious. I am still going crazy with my cash, I won't life. Will I die poor? Probably. But I'll be damn if I neglect myself from having things. I know I know I am a brat and selfish. I don't mind being poor as I long as I got my family. Recently, I been pissing my mom off and buying second hand clothes for my new job that is on Call. Yeah thats Bs. I think if you want get out of poverty you have to gain a skill that worth something society...

• Why do people listen to this self-righteous douchebag Shapiro?

Sure there are people who are poor because of that. But the vast vast majority of poor people aren't. Shapiro's opinion on poor people is nothing but smug and vile, like his whole persona.

• I love ben shapiro. But i will say this is something i don't agree on.

• They have responsibilities to pay for and didn't get a good startoff in life. Some people just unluckily have talents in jobs that aren't well paid. Its not cause theyre lazy. Because working with your hands is very hard work but i know it doesn't always pay to do so.

• Sometimes, yes, but I find it unfair to generalize. People can be poor for many different reasons, and most of the time I'd say it's because people can't catch a break.

• I do understand in very rare cases like if they have a illness or disability

• Interesting

• If you earn less than £11,850 you get 0% tax rates

• Not always. I do understand what you are saying. We’re going through this with someone else in the family. We have special needs kids and a lot of things cost out of pocket. The other person says they’re poorer because she can’t afford to take care of her kids (but they have smartphones and wii-u). I buy name brand clothes second hand because they are sturdier and last for hand me downs, she buys cheap stuff that costs more. I cook from scratch often (some ingredients are expensive depending on the season), they eat out a lot. So when we save up for a new fridge and purchase it out right, it makes her mad... all the while she charges concerts and cruises and has to pay them off. I believe they make more than our household.

Smart shoppers will definitely have their money stretch further, even if it’s a little. We can rarely save up for a lot, often we break into the saving fund for emergencies. But we factor it into the monthly budget. It’s our safety net.

• Ummmm... No.
    You either have money, or you don't have money. Now are you going to sped it on some stupid crap instead of the stuff you actually need and then start calling yourself poor, it's your decision.

There are people, who actually can't afford basic needs. That's poverty.
    Is the reason for that their stupidity and laziness, it's arguable. But many people really do never get a chance.

• Not necessarily, that often is a factor but in an age of high rent, expensive education, low wages, high unemployment and high taxes it can be difficult to lift yourself out of poverty. Then as well a lot of people fall into the credit trap where a bank or credit card company offer you loans or credit in the hopes you can't pay it back or pay in back within the time that way they can charge you overdue fees along with the interest they are already charging you.
    The financial crisis was a harvest time for banks and credit companies.

• The best way is to work and save for something you want and only borrow for something you need like a car to get to work or a mortgage.

• Most often, no. Most often, I think people are poor b/c they grew up poor.

• Ah, good ol' Ben Shapiro, Conservative Hero.

I kinda agree with him and you, but not always.
    Yes, some poor people are poor because we are bad with money. I didn't realize just how bad I was with my spending habits until a few years ago. I am not great yet, but I am striving to improve. I find that many poor people have addictions. Mine was shopping. Now, I didn't spend huge amounts on like a $600 Gucci bag, but I would buy on "sale" items, most of my items are like less than $20. But they add up! Over the years, I've accumulated so much useless $6 shirts, dresses, shoes etc that I don't even like.

However, with that said. I feel you're judging a bit too hard. What if they obtained those flashy items when they were stable, but then like lost a job suddenly or a spouse died and now they're in poverty? People shouldn't have to be in tattered clothing and no cellphones to be considered poor.

• Some people are poor, because they're bad with money, but not all of them. Actually I think for the most of them that's not the reason.

• No, I think that's a very shallow way of looking at it.

Here's a thing to consider: if it's possible to inherit wealth from your family, why then would it not also be possible to inherit poverty? People who come from underprivileged backgrounds are more likely to grow up to be poor as well, simply because of the lack of opportunities that other people from more affluent backgrounds don't have access to. Of course, there are always going to be cases where children end up having more than their parents - but there's a fair amount of luck involved, in addition to that hard work.

• Not always no. Some people are poor because they are born into an environment, where they can't get an education, thus can't get good high paying jobs. Everyone's lives is different, their situations are different and have a limit of what they can and cannot do. Single mothers for instance or single father's. Families who's parents don't have much education, and can't afford it for their children.

Not everyone's family is going to be like yours. It's nice that your parents taught you to save money.

• No, I don't

• Yes, that is the case with some poor people. Not all though.

• More from Girls
    3