The Meaning of LGBTQ

StrangerByTheDay
The Meaning of LGBTQ

Before Reading:

Please note this is a long "MyTake", as well as my first but you can easily skip few headings if not interested in reading it all, as for the main goal from this is to list the definitions and terminology of LGBTQ and not the movement of the community.

"The word community in this post is not to related to the movement. It only symbolizes the group of people who happen to have a sexual orientation that is different than heterosexual."

I am heterosexual and been confusing many things related to LGBTQ leading me to unintentionally have a bad behavior towards them. To be able to respect people from that community it was my personal duty to learn about it more.

After seeing many questions and posts regarding the confusion people are getting in G@G regarding LGBTQ, I thought it would be a decent act from me to share with all of you what my long fingers helped me find over the Internet.

I sincerely hope you take the time to have a quick look and participate with your own opinions.

Please note that I don't like labels either, but it feels weird when someone comes out and mention a term I don't know. Instead of saying labels, let's just use the word terms.

What Does LGBTQ+ Mean?

The Meaning of LGBTQ

LGBTQ+ is an acronym for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans, Queer/Questioning, and others. It refers to a population of people united by having gender identities or sexual orientations that differ from the heterosexual and cisgender majority.

Other names/terms/labels for this population:

- GSM (Gender and Sexuality Minorities)

- GSD (Gender and Sexuality Diverse)

- extended acronym LGBTQQIAP2S (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans, Queer, Questioning, Intersex, Asexual, Pansexual, and Two-Spirit)

- Queer Community or Rainbow Community (used to describe LGBTQ2+ people)

Some people experience their sexual orientation and/or gender identity as fluid, while others as stable and enduring over time. Both are normal. You are not a bad representative of the LGBTQ+ community for having a fluid identity. There are more variations than there are shades in the rainbow!

LGBTQ is more commonly used as a term for the community just because it is more user friendly. No matter what are the labels and names you heard before, hear today or will hear in the future, always remember to be respectful and use the terms they want to.

LGBTQ is a more user friendly term used for the community

Basic Terminology:

Gender Identity:

Your intuitive sense of who you are, in terms of gender. It can incorporate how you want other people to see you, how you relate to others, and how you see yourself.

Sexual Orientation:

The pattern your sexual attraction takes based on gender. In other words, sexual orientation is about the gender of the people you tend to find sexually attractive.

Romantic Orientation:

A person’s romantic orientation has to do with who they tend to form romantic bonds with, based on gender. For many people, romantic and sexual orientations overlap considerably. But for some people, their sexual orientation and their romantic orientation are not equivalent. These people may use several words to describe their orientation instead of only one. Ex: bi-romantic asexual, or homo-romantic bisexual.

Coming Out:

Letting someone know what your sexual orientation or gender identity is. Coming out can be a continuous process as you encounter new people and gain new understanding of your own identity. People tend to assume that you are heterosexual and cisgender unless you tell them otherwise. This is why LGBTQ+ people tend to "come out" and heterosexual and/or cisgender people do not.

You don't have to be part of the LGBT, nor a friend, but you don't have to be ignorant either. They are human too.

Fluid Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity:

This means that their identities might shift over time.

Stable Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity:

Many other people experience their sexual orientation and/or gender identity as stable and enduring over time. Sexuality and gender are complicated.

Fluid or Stable, you are not a bad representative of the LGBTQ+ community

Some LGBTQ Symbols:

The Meaning of LGBTQ

Before getting to the definitions, I wanted to share few symbols I have found over the Internet. The picture above describes what each symbol represents.

Definitions:

Lesbian:

A female homosexual who experiences romantic love or sexual attraction to other females. Typically, a woman who is romantically and sexually attracted to other women. Some trans* people who were AFAB (Assigned Female At Birth) who are attracted to women also identify as lesbians due to their connection to that community and/or due to the lack of terminology for "non-binary gendered person who is attracted to women".

Gay:

A term that primarily refers to a homosexual person or the trait of being homosexual. Gay is often used to describe homosexual males but lesbians may also be referred to as gay.

Bisexual:

Romantic attraction, sexual attraction or sexual behavior toward both males and females, or romantic or sexual attraction to people of any sex or gender identity; this latter aspect is sometimes termed pansexuality.

Transgender:

An umbrella term for people whose gender identity differs from what is typically associated with the sex they were assigned at birth. It is sometimes abbreviated to trans.

Transsexual:

Experience a gender identity inconsistent or not culturally associated with the sex they were assigned at birth.

Trans*

An umbrella term derived from a contraction of "transgender" or "transsexual". The asterisk is a "wildcard" that stands for the multitude of ways that trans* people identify. The prefix "trans" can mean beyond, across, between, through, transcending, or changing. Many trans* people have a gender identity that is different from the one they were assigned at birth. Some people identify as trans* if their gender expression is different than what is expected for their gender.

Two-Spirit:

A modern umbrella term used by some indigenous North Americans to describe gender-variant individuals in their communities, specifically people within indigenous communities who are seen as having both male and female spirits within them. A term for LGBTQ members of the Native American community, first coined in 1990 by a Native American group in Winnipeg. The term references a tradition common to several tribes, where some individuals possessed and manifested a balance of both feminine and masculine energies, making them inherently sacred people. (Derived from BAAITS Bay Area American Indian Two Spirits)

Queer:

An umbrella term for sexual and gender minorities that are not heterosexual or cisgender. Queer was originally used pejoratively against those with same-sex desires but, beginning in the late-1980s, queer scholars and activists began to reclaim the word.

Questioning:

The questioning of one’s gender, sexual identity, sexual orientation, or all three is a process of exploration by people who may be unsure, still exploring, and concerned about applying a social label to themselves for various reasons.

Intersex:

A variation in sex characteristics including chromosomes, gonads, or genitals that do not allow an individual to be distinctly identified as male or female. A general term used for a variety of conditions in which a person is born with reproductive or sexual anatomy that doesn’t seem to fit the typical definitions of female or male.

Asexual:

Asexual (or non sexuality) is the lack of sexual attraction to anyone, or low or absent interest in sexual activity. It may be considered the lack of a sexual orientation, or one of the variations thereof, alongside heterosexuality, homosexuality, and bisexuality. A person who does not experience sexual attraction under most circumstances. An asexual person may or may not experience romantic attraction.

Ally:

A person who considers themselves a friend to the LGBTQ+ community.

Allies are people who recognize the unearned privilege they receive from society’s patterns of injustice and take responsibility for changing these patterns. Allies include men who work to end sexism, white people who work to end racism, heterosexual people who work to end heterosexism, able-bodied people who work to end ableism, and so on.” – Anne Bishop

If you have the curiosity to know more about Allies, I recommend you check out How To Be An Ally by Wash Silk

Pansexual:

Pansexuality, or Omnisexuality, is sexual attraction, romantic love, or emotional attraction toward people of any sex or gender identity. Pansexual people may refer to themselves as gender-blind, asserting that gender and sex are insignificant or irrelevant in determining whether they will be sexually attracted to others. Pansexuality is often confused with Bisexuality. People who identify as pansexual define it in multiple ways. Some people identify as pansexual because they see “bisexual” as not including non-binary trans* people. Other pansexual people explain it as a sexual attraction to people irrespective of gender or sex.

Agender:

Also called genderless, gender free, non-gendered, or un gendered people are those who identify as having no gender or being without any gender identity. This category includes a very broad range of identities which do not conform to traditional gender norms.

Gender Queer:

An umbrella term for gender identities that are not exclusively masculine or feminine identities which are thus outside of the gender binary and cisnormativity. Any person with a "queer" gender identity or gender expression. The act of transgressing gender norms. A specific non-binary gender.

Bigender:

A gender identity where the person moves between feminine and masculine gender identities and behaviors, possibly depending on context. Some bi gender individuals express two distinct “female” and “male” personas, feminine and masculine respectively; others find that they identify as two genders simultaneously.

Gender Variant:

Gender variant or gender nonconformity, is behavior or gender expression by an individual that does not match masculine and feminine gender norms. People who exhibit gender variance may be called gender variant, gender non-conforming, gender diverse or gender atypical, and may be transgender, or otherwise variant in their gender expression. Some intersex people may also exhibit gender variance.

Pangender:

Those who feel they identify as all genders. The term has a great deal of overlap with gender queer. Because of its all-encompassing nature, presentation and pronoun usage varies between different people who identify as pangender.

Biromantic:

Being romantically attracted to two genders (or all genders).

Homoromatic:

Being romantically attracted to people of your own gender.

Heteroromantic:

Being romantically attracted to people of a gender other than your own.

Panromantic:

Being romantically attracted to all genders.

Aromantic:

Not experiencing romantic attraction.

Not all women are Lesbian or Bisexual !!!

Pansexuality is often confused with Bisexuality

Pride Flags:

The Meaning of LGBTQ

My Thoughts:

Following many takes, questions, opinions, thoughts, ideas and replies posted here in G@G and what I have been facing in real life, I have decided to post a take that simply explains the meaning of LGBTQ so people who are lost the way I was would know the terminology.

As a heterosexual person, I used to confuse many terms from LGBTQ like most people do, but it never gave me the right to curse or to be rude. In my own opinion it is disrespectful to ourselves and humankind. We are all humans and we have the same rights. Nobody deserves to be lonely, we all deserve to love and respect, be loved and respected.

The Meaning of LGBTQ

We are all humans regardless of our gender, sexuality, skin color or ethnicity. We were conceived and born the same way, same planet.

The Meaning of LGBTQ
Just because I am an heterosexual person, it doesn't mean I have the right to deny and shut down other sexual orientations. On the contrary, I have to search, read, learn and stop being ignorant about LGBT. Why? Because I want to get out of my bubble and know who else is sharing this planet with me. I have to respect others and myself just like they respect me.

The Meaning of LGBTQ

Hashtags:

#LGBTQ #LGBTQ+ #LoveAndRespect Terminology

References

LGBT Discrimination

OK2BME: What Does LGBTQ Mean

LGBTQ Terminology

Anne Bishop, Becoming An Ally

Pride Flags

LGBT Bullying Image Gallery

The Meaning of LGBTQ
37
41
37Girl Opinion
41Guy Opinion

Most Helpful Guys

• SirRexington
    The issue I have with this is instead of being individuals they have to label themselves something that no one knows exists. New identities ate created everyday, so much so that we lose track because they are infinite.

Agender, bigender and gender fluid do not exist. That's not how biology and psychology work. Gender is a word created by feminism in the mid 1900s and is not real. Masculinity and femininity which are both present in males and females however one is usually dominant over the other based off their sex which stems from testosterone and estrogen levels amongst other things.

You are either gay/lesbian, transgender or straight. And everything else can be put in the trans/ queer category. No sense muddying up clean water, in this case the water is definitions we have come to understand and accept as realty. Most of these not being accepted as there's no evidence to support them.

Since we love to separate gender from sex, transexual is the same as intersex. Transgender being a psychological issue, mind not synchronized with body.

If you're a queer person who doesn't define social norms then you are gender non-conforming. If you want to use gender neutral or non binary as a synonym for non conformist then that's perfectly fine.

But I and the rest of the intelligent people of the world who passed basic biology and who are very interested in psychology and sociology understand that half of these identities can be defined by your biology. Science is science. I have no issue with gay people, my best friend is gay, but gay people are still men. Men who dress like women and act like women are simply that, dressing and acting. They are not women.
    Is this still revelant?
    • I understand and respect your point of view.
      Thank you for participating and sharing your honest opinion.
      Am a man of science and I like psychology.
      There are many terms, I have ran this search initially while searching for Pansexual.
      Stumbled on many things.
      Then thought why not organize what I have found and share it.
      Many haters are against me or discriminate people hating other sexuality.
      I hate discrimination and racism.
      I hate to see people bully or call names other people just because they are not straight or not white.
      If am ignorant about a sophisticated word a friend uses, would I be laughing because of my ignorance or try to know the definition of the word, thus, making me add a new decent word to my brain and vocabulary?

• My friends are fully aware if they say or do something stupid, I will call them out on it. Friends tall friends the truth.

As for people who actually suffer from dysphoria and not these gender non-conformists, I can say that it makes no since to bully someone already suffering from emotional disabilities. It's not cool.

• Totally agree with you.
      Hopefully you enjoyed reading the take and I do sincerely apologize if I have made anyone uncomfortable.
      Thank you again for taking your time to write this informative opinion, I have appreciated it a lot!

• Rawkstar
    As a gay man I'd like to applaud you for making an amazing effort to understand our community, I wish more people would do the same instead of making ignorant and disrespectful and hateful assumptions and comments and views towards the LGBT community. Thank you.
    Is this still revelant?
    • Beautifully said..

• I am glad you like and thankful for your participation !!!
      Am not talking about any LGBT political movement, while everybody is upset about it.
      I was only sharing kind of a small dictionary.
      Imagine someone saying a word that is not understandable, would I be sitting like a dumb person not knowing what to reply, or just making fun of them for using a sophisticated word, or just get the definition and reply the right way?
      When I have heard the word Pan for the first time I was so ignorant that I laughed and hurt the person, thus, making me have a guilty conscience, search and learn about it more.
      Anyways, I am glad decent good people like you have and @DivaQueen22 have participated.

• I personally don't expect people to understand every meaning of every sub genre of the LGBT. I would prefer it if they just kept it more simple like it originally was (Gay, Lesbian, Bi, Trans) I think most people understand those. All those extra labels get very confusing even for people within the LGBT community so how do we expect a non LGBT person to understand? lol all I want is love, respect and acceptance. I think that's the important thing and I think it's unhealthy for people to get so caught up in all the labels to the point where it's actually getting in the way of the bigger picture.

Most Helpful Girls

• Halligan
    Very nice MyTake.

Interesting bit of history:
    The inverted rainbow triangle used to signify homosexuality or a building that is LGBTQ friendly originates from The Nazi concentration camps.

All “prisoners” wore a colored upside down triangle based on why they were there.
    Green = common criminal
    Red = political prisoners
    Yellow = Jewish
    Pink = sexual deviants and homosexuals
    Unsure what color people of color wore (Basically anyone not Aryan looking); I have not been able to find it.

The pink upside down triangle was used by homosexuals by choice in the 1970’s as homage to those who lost their lives during the Nazi regime. The rainbow flag was created around the same time. They combined the two honoring all the prisoners of the concentration camps. An upside down triangle representing all the colors of the prisoners.

I share this story any time someone starts bitching about LGBTQ “stealing” the rainbow and it not being ok to like rainbows now “because of the gays”. ~rolling eyes~
    Is this still revelant?
    • Am really always amazed from your opinions and writings dear Halligan.
      I am really a huge fan of you.
      Thank you very much sincerely for participating and sharing this bit of history. I was not aware at all about this subject. Am less ignorant thanks to you dear.
      This is why we should always have an open mind and listen to people instead of judging and being disrespectful. I remember the first time a Trans person came out and explained what they were facing as struggles, and it made me curious to search more, but unfortunately, the Internet is full of "Adult Industry Image" regarding those subjects.
      It takes time to run a decent search and learn.
      Frankly, I have a big admiration for your personality and strong character dear Halligan, so again, thank you very much for participating and sharing interesting useful facts!

• TeaGirl
    Great take! I have a little addition though: Demi's and Gray-Ace's.
    Gray-asexual: rarely experiences sexual attraction.
    Gray-aromantic: rarely experiences romantic attraction.
    Demisexual: only able to feel sexual attraction after a deeper emotional bond has formed.
    Demiromantic: only able to feel romantic attraction after a deeper emotional bond has formed.

I get all the different terms and labels can be really confusing, but for some people it really helps to know they're not the only one feeling that way. Knowing there's a whole community of people like you feels reassuring, especially when the people around you aren't accepting.
    Is this still revelant?
    • Thank you very much dear Tea Girl for this great opinion you have shared.
      Am honestly surprised of the amount of people who liked this post and participated.
      I hate being ignorant to be honest.
      Frankly, love your opinion because you have introduced to me: Gray-Asexual/Aromantic and Demisexual/romantic.
      Personally, I have to really bond mentally and emotionally with someone before having romantic and sexual attraction.
      The terms are all around, we can't deny nor stop anything. We can only try to know more and stop being ignorant, and this is how a human evolves in science and everything, otherwise, we would still be living in caves.
      "especially when the people around you aren't accepting" - if more people like us come out, then people who are not accepting will eventually start accepting. When more people start to love and respect, they will be showing good examples for children and people around, thus, making them join and do the same!

• TeaGirl

Sometimes it's just not safe to come out though. I, as a heteroromantic asexual, probably won't face that much rejection from my direct circle. Queer and genderqueer/trans people can often expect more backlash, which could be lifethreatening. In that case it's better to not come out until you're in a safe space and aren't dependent on the people around you (for example parents).

• Totally agree with you.
      I cannot imagine the struggle honestly because I am a straight person, but I can still have an idea how hard it is, especially if their closest people are discriminate and offensive towards anything that is not heterosexual.

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

3539
  • CHARismatic110
    Very well written and informative Take.
    • Paris13

I thought so too, CHAR. xxoo

• Thank you both Charismatic and Paris for this compliment.
      It means a lot to me, I am French educated as matter of fact but have always loved English and trying to work on my writing skills because, frankly, am writing a book and interacting with people helps a lot.

Really glad you have participated and shared your opinion :-)

• Paris13

Anytime, handsome, Thank you For Caring and Sharing. xxxoo

• BlueCoyote
    Very good take!
    • Thank you Blue Coyote.
      Just sharing my own personal research and the message I always try to fight for, which is, we as human should stop being discriminate and racist and ignorant.

• BlueCoyote

I love that, that's my message too :-).

• Thank you again and sorry for the people who are playing "Down Vote" :-(

• CountessSarah
    This is really good, although I would correct the following -

"Transsexual:
    Experience a gender identity inconsistent or not culturally associated with the sex they were assigned at birth."

Transsexual is actually an older term that isn't really used any more. It caused confusion because of the 'sexual' part, when transgenderism doesn't tell you anything about the individuals orientation.
    Some people use 'transsexual' to specifically refer to whether a trans person has had Sexual Reassignment Surgery or not, but there's no real consensus on this, and I'd recommend just avoiding the word.

Also, there's the Transpride flag missing from the collection of flags. vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/.../20161228064312

I'm very happy to see someone admittedly formerly anti-LGBT join the rest of us in the 21st century and seek to broaden their mind through learning. Well done, Asker! If only there were more like you.
    • Thank you dear Countess Sarah for this beautiful opinion you have shared and really glad you have participated indeed.
      Frankly was not expecting much people to participate, and was a bit worried for my writing skills. I am French educated and trying my best in English as for I love this language.
      I was not aware at all regarding the Transsexual term, but I admit having hard times finding definitions and real medical subjects as for all you can find on the Internet are related to adult industries and it is a shame to see the image they are putting in front.
      Personally I don't use any term myself, this was just for my own knowledge, and in case a person comes out I would at least have an idea of what they are talking about.
      Example: if someone tells you that you are an intriguing person. Having no clue what it means, you will not know what to reply and maybe act in a disrespectful way. Same happened to me and I thought "Learning" the terms could make me a better respectful "Human".

• Also thank you for the compliment.
      "If only there were more like you" - hopefully there are more and hopefully they will come out showing their understanding and respect for a world and future with less discrimination and racism.
      Turning your back on a friend or loved one just because they have a different sexual orientation is rude and disrespectful, it is a discriminate act. A friend of mine ended her 10 years friendship with her best friend because she finally told her she was Bi.
      Why people are so discriminate and racist while criminals, drug dealers, sexual delinquents, etc... are free to walk the streets?
      Why is it OK for an abusive straight person to be free to do what he wants, and an LGBT person restrained from loving and respecting?
      I apologize to every person I have been unintentionally disrespectful to in the past due to my ignorance.

• breadisyummy
    Okay as a lesbian I am gonna be honest I really am sick of the labeling, the terminology, the history, etc. I don't need to celebrate or know all this to feel proud of being a lesbian. Honestly, @dancing_in_nebulas brought up a good point in the comments. This stuff is constantly being thrown down peoples throats.. I even myself do not celebrate PRIDE. People do not need to know I am a lesbian. I don't see straoght people running down the streets celebrating and placing terminologies of their relationships and what they sleep with.
    • Paris13

Everyone in today's society, bread, is sadly labeled. xx

• @Paris13 Its very annoying like I totally support being who you want to be and being proud but it is getting to be too much. I dont need to run down the street half naked with rainbows to say IM GAY LOOK. I feel sort of like a product and I never say oh Im LGBT you know what I am a fucking person who just happens to date fucking women like lawd jesus lol

• BlueCoyote

I can see where you are coming from but please also remember that you can only say this so lightly because you are standing on the shoulders of giants. You have your rights and that's a great thing but you have them because others fought very hard for them. I come from a Western European countries where gay marriage is still illegal. 35 years ago, Harvey Milk was killed for showing his pride a little too publicly. Matthew Shepherd was brutally tortured and killed without even talking openly about his homosexuality.

• JulieXO
    Very informative. I have nothing against gay people or whatever, but I think all these new gender definitions are getting a bit out of hand.
    • TeaGirl

I don't think they're that new. The terms are getting normalized, yes. But people have been feeling that way for ages. Many (non-western) cultures had more than two genders with a reason.

• Thank you dear @TeaGirl for this clarification :-)
      Am really learning from you better than the hours spent on Google searching!!!

• Thank you dear Julie for participating.
      Yes, I understand how you feel, but the terms are real and out there.
      I hear them more often and I hate being ignorant.
      In case someone comes out to you with a term, you already have an idea, thus you will be showing how respectful of a person you are, right?
      Example:
      imagine you are reading a book and you stumble on a word you have never heard of, what do you do? Ignore or check out the definition from a dictionary? ;-)

• dancing_in_nebulas
    Good take, but Im exhausted with all the LGTBQ stuff.

Its been so shoved down our throats its almost annoying now.
    • Honestly @dancing_in_nebulas I am a lesbian and a very reserved lesbian and even I find it getting on my nerves that its being shoved down my own throat. I know this will sound weird I don't need attention for the fact I like the same sex... like who gives a shit who people sleep with. You don't see straights celebrating or categorizing their relationships. I am honestly sick of the labeling. What happened to people just being lesbian or gay or bisexual only... I can't stand it either.

• @breadisyummy

Right. Its a personal matter but the flamboyant sub culture just went too far.

We have a gay couple next door, sweetest guys ever. I only found out they were gay seeing their wedding bands. They dont put up rainbow flags or flick their wrists lol

• I don't do that crap either I do find it annoying. I think because of how people placed so much negativity on LGBTQ that people feel inclined to show it off. And then you have the people who are just too much or who are trashy. So it makes it even worse. What happened to class. Gurl I fully agree with you on this take.

• coachTanthony
    Nice take man... I have many friends in the LGBTQ community. Most of them could give a rats ass what you or anybody else thinks of them. They live their life one day at a time just like we do. I do see a lot of hate towards them which is unfortunate but I digress. Good read.. keep it up!
  • Salmon4056
    This is a a lot of just added stuff to me. Even though I don't support this community, as a christian, nor the gay marriage and then etc, I won't disrespect them but just treat them with kindness like any other person
    • Thank you dear for participating with total honesty.
      Really appreciate it.
      As a Christian, I think you are doing the right thing, as for I am pretty sure Jesus Christ disapproved racism and discrimination.
      You don't have to support anybody.
      This post is just like a small dictionary in case someone comes out and say a term you are not aware of, just like what is happening to me, and I hate being ignorant.

• bubble_tea
    Very informative. I don't truly understand why you need so many terms and why it's necessary to think so hard about which one you are or aren't, but then again I've never been confused.
    I suppose it's like the names of colours? For some it's enough to know purple isn't red, but for others who know all the different shades of purple, they will say it's lavender or lilac.
    • Totally understand your point of view dear Bubble Tea and I appreciate you participating and sharing your honest decent opinion in this take.
      There are too many terms and they get kind of confusing sometimes when people mention them. I hate being ignorant so I have ran an online research for my personal general information. Seeing here on G@G how many people were confused, or accusing women for example to be bisexual in general got me thinking why not share my own research as a small dictionary and just pass the message that we are all humans and need to be treated as such.
      I understand Christian religion is against homosexuality maybe, but I am also pretty sure that Jesus Christ did not approve racism and discrimination either, right?

• bubble_tea

I thought all verses are up for personal interpretation lol.

• You are free to do and say whatever pleases you dear.
      No hard feelings.
      I know there are many people having fun down voting.
      I was hoping for people to share openly what they honestly want to discuss, not fight or down vote or just say anything because they need points.
      Anyways, thank you for participating :-)

• DizzyDesii
    Thanks for the invite. Im sure this is a great mytake, but I dont care to read about something i have no interest in.
    • So you don't support the LGBT community?

• If you didn't want to participate you didn't need to comment..

• DizzyDesii

@DivaQueen22 he invited me but if u didn't like my answer u didn't have to comment

• dragonfly6516
    Pan-romantic, heterosexual, cis-gender female, ally, and I guess I'm also technically gender non-conforming, since most people assume that I'm a lesbian. They assume this because in habits and personality, I'm a dude.
    • Thank you for sharing this honest opinion dear.
      I want to imagine we were sitting face to face in real life and you told me that, I will understand you are a woman who behaves like a man, sexually attracted to men, a person who could develop romantic feelings for any gender (male, female or Trans*) and friendly to LGBT people which makes you an ally.
      Let me thank you again dear Dragon Fly for participating and hopefully I have understood.
      Before making this online research, I would have felt really dumb not knowing any of the terms and in real life situation it wouldn't be respectful to hold the conversation just to go and check out for definitions online!

• I briefly had a roommate that was transitioning. She is my ex boyfriend, so I got a crash course! Sadly, she was fired from her job for what I strongly believe to be a case of discrimination against her transition, but could no longer afford rent and had to move out.

• This is exactly what I am talking about while many people here are just sharing non sense opinions.
      Anyways, I hope things will work out for her in the future.
      This is mostly why most people transitioning get stuck in the adult industries.
      But if your friend can manage to have a good feminine body aspects, she could be in cover of magazines promoting make up products and things like that.

• cherryphi82
    Seems like you've covered a lot of bases, and it's always nice to know people have learned something, but I don't exactly understand why you're inviting me to this take. I have nothing to do with this community.
    • Paris13

He was being a Polite person? xx

• @Paris13 That's such a bullshit answer, you might as well not say anything at all.

• Jayjoy

cherry show respect to gag queen miss Paris!!!

• Gedaria
    I am transgender , its one of thoughs things that I find difficult to explain. I have tried to bury my feelings knowing what people feel about any who don't tow the straight line. One day I will come out properly but as for now I will just get my feet wet.. I enjoyed your blog...
  • SarahsSummer
    That seems to cover all of it.
    Well written. Thanks
    In my world, I keep it simpler than the labels and just use the mantra, live and let live.
    • Exactly what I do.
      I have changed a lot since I read psychology and meditation books as matter of fact.
      Yet, I still don't like the feeling when someone uses a term I ignore. I hate being ignorant. I guess it is just part of who I am.
      Really appreciate you participating dear Sarah.
      Thank you for the compliment, am writing a book, and if most people find that I write well, then it helps me keep on going with my own book.

• You write very well and I’m the same, I hate to be ignorant as well. It’s a good day when I’ve learned in it.

• Totally agree with you.
      A day without learning anything is just a wasted day.
      I guess like minded people always find a way to connect and talk.
      Again, thank you very much for participating!

• LegateLanius
    I have nothing nice to say on the subject. Personally, it just seems that everyone has to be a special little snowflake.
    • Here's the thing: I don't bother them, but where does it end? Are we going to have 15,000 gender designations by the time I am 80 years old?

• @LegateLanius If those perverts got their way, humans would die out within three generations (less than 100 years); so no, there wouldn't even be time for a 3rd or a 4th gender!

• I understand both your concerns @Dchrls78104 and @LegateLanius
      The fact is we are all real, humans, the same on this planet.
      Instead of bullying, abusing and being disrespectful to people because they are not heterosexual or not the same color is not acceptable for me, at least my own honest opinion.
      I am a straight person but I don't go hating every non heterosexual person I meet or know!!
      I was walking last time down the street of Pubs in this country, when passing in front of a coffee shop, two girls were holding hands and just having a nice time between lovers. When suddenly a straight girl comes and starts hitting them calling them names. Do you think it is the right way to treat them? I don't know any of the girls. If she does not like gay people for instance, than it makes her right to go and hit any gay person she sees? They don't have the right to love? Besides, they are adopting children who straight people are abandoning.

• girl_with_questionz
    My brain hurts. Can I kiss a girl and not be gay? I just like the feeling of kissing but I'm straight.
    • kiddo think again lmfao

• @buffdude_1719 whatd I say?

• If guys can say no homo and do stuff then so can I😂

• Pineapple_Boy
    Agender, Gender queer, Bigender, Gender Variant, Pangender makes ZERO sense. I would love someone to give me a detailed explanation on how that actually works in everyday life.
    • I admire your curiosity and was confused the same way you are when I first started searching.
      It seems there is a difference between who we are sexually attracted to and what gender we consider to be or romantically attract to.
      It gets confusing.
      You don't have to memorize or know anything, just a small hint in case someday someone mentions a term, you will not feel lost in the conversation maybe.
      Honestly, I just went and made this search for people who are Pan because it is usually confused with bi and it upsets Pan people. To respect what they say, I had to search and learn about it. You don't know, maybe one day your life partner will tell you she is Pan herself.

• musical_kittycat
    Ah, you finally took to research. I'm proud of you, my little small child.

(Kindly ignore my weirdness.)
  • HungLikeAHorsefly
    I didn't really read most of your Take but I'm pretty sure most of those flags don't exist outside of San Francisco.
    • Actually am not aware of it at all.
      I was just searching for the word Pan because someone I know told me they were Pan.
      I have laughed and felt a guilty conscience about it.
      While searching for the word, I have started discovering terms.
      Then I thought "why not share it so people accusing women to be all bisexual and lesbians to stop and see how wrong they were"

• Funny story (at least I think so)...

My father-in-law lives in Indiana where things like LGBTQ are umm... hush-hush. Anyway, he's a history buff and he loves flags. He always has a flag of a different country or some historical thing flying in his front yard. Well, my wife and I were in San Francisco one day so we went by a shop in the Castro and got him a BDSM flag. He flew it for an entire day before he realized what it was. He got a lot of questions from his neighbors. It was cool because he's kind of an asshole with very traditional views.

• Man, that was a bit harsh of thing to do to your father, but hopefully he understood the sense of humor.
      You got me a good laughter with it.
      flags, terms, labels, etc... they are so many.
      I was simply searching for the meaning of Pan, and stumbled on many other things.

• Justacatlady
    This was very well done. Thank you. I've actually learned about other sexualities as well as being better able to identify myself.
    • I am glad you enjoyed the Take dear and thank you for participating.
      There are many terms and labels, we all hate "Labeling" but it is happening in real life, so the best I can do is learn and try to be less ignorant to defend a friend for example.
      One of my friends got accused to be gay, while he was Pan.
      It was the day he came out and I felt stupid with my ignorance.
      As soon as I knew, I defended him because he was my friend, and not because he was not straight. I don't like movements, but I do like to have the good arguments when defending a friend.

• Mr_Smile
    I don't like this idea of "LGBT Community". I am bisexual and by no means want to be associated with them or their movement. I know not every person in the LGBT movement is... well this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA3VhoKCIkM

But many of them are, and I personally don't want to be associated with a bunch of racist, sexist, bigoted, perpetually triggered snowflakes. #notall.

Your myTake was well written however, and I learnt a few new things. I don't really agree with a lot of these new terms and some of them are kinda redundant, but as long as people don't force me to use their "preferred pronouns" I don't have an issue with it, really.
    • I totally agree with you and respect your opinion my friend.
      Was surprised honestly about the amount of terms but learned a lot.
      I hope you take into consideration the fact I was not talking about any political movement nor any LGBT movement.
      I don't know why so many people are against me while I was only sharing what I have found while researching for terms to understand better people who are not straight.

• Mr_Smile

I think the main problem people have with these terms is that a lot of them are made up because of the need for people to be a special snowflake and are quite silly. I don't gave any problem with people identifying as a trans-octaganal trisexual, as long as you don't push that onto me. Same with trans people, I have no problem calling a trans person by their preffered pro-noun to be respectful, as long as they understand that sometimes I will make mistakes and as long as they don't force me to use them and get angry if I don't.

• Understand your point of view and totally agree with you once more.
      Again, thank you for participating with an honest opinion :-)
      Anything you would like to add would be my pleasure.

• Whatthefluff
    Nice. Supposedly this is another flag The Meaning of LGBTQ
    • Thank you for sharing and participating :-)
      @Halligan shared an interesting fact regarding the history of the flag.
      Check it out :-)

• menina
    I know I'm late, but this is one of the best Takes I've ever read. Very well written and it has no prejudice on it.

I had no idea that there were so many terms to define people within the LGBTQ community, so I'm really surprised. And I have to thank you for sharing this with us.

I agree with you, heterosexual people don't have the right to be ignorant nor to make hateful comments towards LGBTQ people.
    They also deserve to be respected and they're not hurting anyone, they're just living their lives and being themselves. They deserve to be free to do whatever they want, love whoever they love and identify themselves as they want to.
    Plus, no one has the right of telling how others should live their lives and many people fail to understand this.
    The world would be a better place if people stopped mistreating, hitting and in some cases killing people who are part of the LGBTQ community.

Congratulations for this Take, I enjoyed reading it. :)
    • First let me thank you for this wonderful opinion dear Menina.
      Really flattered from your words and I totally agree with you on the few points you have mentioned and well made!
      It seems most people here did not read well what I have written and started taking things a bit personal, but I have no right to judge them.
      I was surprised as you are when I have ran that online research honestly.
      It all started with me searching for the meaning of Pan Sexual term, and ended up having this post written.
      You deserve an MHO for what you have shared dear, so hopefully next question or take I post?
      Really appreciated what you have mentioned and even though you are late, it is better than never ;-)

• menina

You're welcome :)

Well, it all started with one word, but you end up learning the meaning of many words and that's always good.

Yes, people shouldn't be making personal comments, but unfortunately that happens a lot here.

Thank you for saying that I deserve the MHO. Maybe next time you can give me. :)

• Thank you dear and you are very welcome :-)
      Don't hesitate to invite me to your questions and take as well ;-)

• Logan27
    LGBT means let a tiny portion of a country change the country to suit them. Such as the gender bathroom bill. Everyone shouldn't change to suit a few people. Trans people think they are entitled to everything.
    • Thank you for sharing honestly your own opinion, and would be glad if you elaborate your point of view more. What do you really mean?
      Sorry for my ignorance in advance :-)

• Logan27

Trans people make up a tiny percent of the overall population, yet they are always pushing to change laws and society to suit them. They want everyone else to change to adapt to them. They're selfish. 1% of the population dictates what the other 99% do.

• Yeah, now I get your point of view.
      Am not talking honestly about people trying to change others, I just take into consideration people who have real medical conditions and are having hard times coming out or transforming, etc...
      Imagine how hard it could get for your best friend to have you by his side during his transformation process? Some people have nobody supporting them. All of their friends and families turned their back on them.
      Cert, there are fake LGBT people, and I don't want to talk about any movement, I want to talk about people who happen to have a sexual orientation other than hetero and are bullied or abused. You shouldn't change anything as matter of fact.

My question to you is "in case one of your friends comes out and tells you he/she is something different than straight, what would you do? turn your back on them? end a friendship? or just accept them for who they are?"

• Angelina25
    I knew that your take is gonna be superb. It's Awesome!!! 😘
    • Thank you dear Angelina.
      Always encouraging words.
      Glad you like it and sorry for people who are just going and down voting everything.
      I guess grow ups with childish behavior are to be found everywhere :-(

• Angelina25

Ah I didn't even realize that they had downvoted lol. It is 'kay. I don't mind them. It's funny actually. :)

• Sorry for the children who joined from the playground to hit colorful buttons ;-)
      Anyways, I am truly thankful and glad for your participation dear.

• omgjassy
    Exactly don’t disrespect it. And thanks I didn’t know many of those.
    • Angelina25

Okay, why are these people downvoting for no reason?

• omgjassy

@Angelina25 the haters

• Angelina25

It's so stupid tho!

• ScaryCool
    Oh another MyTake informing people how to feel comfortable in their skin is by finding the right label.
    • Nobody is making anybody say or label anything.
      I do respect your own thought.
      My curiosity pushed me to search and learn more about LGBT, is it bad?

• TheBigSoftie
    Very well written.
    Whenever I'm agitated or excited, I say one or two words in falsetto, then switch back to my regular voice.
    I get easily agitated.
    Also, I can understand how both men and women feel about themselves.
    And I'm very easily hurt by people (primarily caused by trauma).
    Does that make me a two-spirit?
    • I don't honestly know.
      You just discover yourself and let me know :-)

• Gregisthebest
    This community is so rediculious. Pan sexual where your attracted to pans I mean come on people... im just here for xp
    • DinaM

Actually "pan" is ancient Greek for "all." ^_^

• I was not aware of that dear @DinaM !!!
      Thank you for sharing this info.

I appreciate your honesty dear @Gregisthebest , and thank you for participating.
      Hope you got the points you wanted too :-)

• polymo
    Even though I am a homosexual, I feel like labels are getting out of hand sometimes
    • Totally agree with you.
      I was surprised with all the terms that jumped in front of my face while only searching for the meaning of Pan.

• Guanfei
    I'll be honest: I don't give a fuck. About what you're labelling yourself, who you fuck, date, or whatever. It's your business.
    As long as you're not forcing it on me, or asking me for a special treatement, or even talk about it to me, we're fine.
    That LGBTQQTYUIKSR6USERTGSER stuff is becoming worse than a fucking cult. Not only you brag about it everywhere, all the time, but you're also asking people to change to fit your views. That's where you're wrong. The more you're pushing it on people, the more you'll get rejected.
    • Totally agree!!!

• AmBoi

Preach!

• Nobody is forcing anybody to do anything my friend.
      Sorry if I have disturbed you, you could have only avoided participating.
      My message was clear, I personally hate racism and discrimination.
      I hate ignorance.
      I have shared my own research, what I have found over the internet for people who are interested.

You could have went and participated with "How does this t-shirt look?" or "Do I look pretty?" or "Does he/she fancy me" questions.

Regardless if you have been invited or not, it was your choice to participate or not, nobody forced you.

Anyways, thank you both for your sincere opinions, totally appreciate it.

Let me know what you thin when someone bullies your closest friend just for a fact they are not heterosexual or not the same skin color.

Thank you @TuMeManques too, 38 years old.

• Az-Arm-
    I'm so tired of the sexual orientation topic.
    I wish sexual orientation didn't exist.
    • Sorry you feel that way dear.
      I have just shared my own personal research because I saw how many people were arguing and confused here in G@G regarding this and accusing women for example to be bisexual, etc...
      It is not really a subject about sexual orientations, it is just a post where "Terms" mostly used by people in real life and defined.
      Consider it as a small dictionary if you want :-)
      Anyways, thank you again for participating and sharing your honest opinion!!

• NickoN
    honestly, who cares? they are on the way down, they do not reproduce
  • monkeynutts
    If I had a frankenpenis what would my flag look like?
    • You can run your own online search and share it with us here, it would be nice and I would be less ignorant

• zagor
    Pansexual? Isn't that being attracted to half-man half-goat?
    • TeaGirl

It is actually derived from the greek word 'pan', which is spelled the same was as the name of the greek deity pan who had the satyrs in his following. The word 'pan' simply means 'all' though, it's not that complicated.

• @TeaGirl Thank you but I don't think he was sincere asking the question.
      Your intentions were good and I appreciate a lot the way you have participated in this post :-)

• TeaGirl

I just found it interesting, because it isn't even the most stupid to say. A lot of people say '' haha isn't that being attracted to kitchenware?'', so I explored his comment and found interesting stuff :)

• animelover14
    Nice Take but I think this is too many labels to understand. In my opinion, there should only be four sexualities heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual and asexual. I do often think pansexual is similar to bisexual because I believe there are only two genders and the rest are non-scientific labels to make yourself appear different.

Some people identify as trans* if their gender expression is different than what is expected for their gender - I disagree on this. Having a gender expression that does not meet the expectations of the gender you were assigned at birth does not make you trans, it just means you don't conform to the traditional gender stereotypes. There are tomboys, you know.

Overall, I did enjoy reading it even if there are parts that I don't agree with.

• RedRobin
    Nice take
  • DinaM
    Good take! For that, you shall have a like. ^_^
    • Thank you dear Dina for participating and I am really glad to see how many people actually liked it!! Was not expecting so many to be honest :-)
      Seeing how many people are arguing in questions and takes, getting confused about the terms, gave me an idea to share my own personal research even if it is long.

• Fitness-Fanatic
    Very insightful. Great take 👍
  • ENTP_EMO
    Aromantic:
    Not experiencing romantic attraction.

Uh oh
  • BuchitaBuchys
    This is very detailed, great take!
  • OldSchool_Metalhead
    nice take!
  • acooke-13
    Very detailed and informative, I love this take!
    • Thank you dear, glad you liked it.
      My pleasure was to share my personal own research with you.
      I have to admit the search was a bit complicated due to all the adult industry image all over the internet. Yet, am glad got the chance to be done with a meaningful post.
      Thank you very much for participating :-)

• acooke-13

I can imagine, but it really taught me some stuff and I enjoyed reading it :)
      You're welcome!

• Glad you enjoyed it dear :-)
      The only "Personal" message I would be giving here is
      "Treat others the way you like to be treated"

• Paris13
    Beautifully Done, hun. xxoo
    • Thank you dear, your comment means a lot to me.
      I have to say, I was not expecting this many people participating and accepting my invitation.
      Please, don't hesitate to invite me to your posts always.
      My pleasure to participate.

• Dargil
    I liked it when there were two sexes and "other".
    • Thank you for participating and sharing your honest opinion.
      It was indeed more simple before, but we cannot deny that the terms are out in real life.
      Someone mentioned to me once the term "Pan", I felt stupid, searched for it and found all the terms in this Take.

• Cosytoasty
    Interesting read.
  • transgenderhooman
    i am fine with people being in the lgbtq+ comunity i love everybody for who they are no matter what they cause they are just human like the rest of us are if a boy wants to wear makup that perfectly fine if a girl wants to wear boy clothes or look like a boy thats fine if a boy wants to cross dress he can do that if a girl wants tocross dress he can as long as it akes them happy they can do whatever they want and love whhoever they want i was born a girl and i feel like a boy but my family would never respect my pronouns but only my side of the family would i do things to make myself happy and everybody elese should to love who u want be who u want
  • GoldCobra
    Nice take
  • MelaninDoll
    it just means you're gay.
    • I don't understand really what is your point of view dear Melanin Doll!
      Could you elaborate more that thought?

• if you can date someone of the same gender, you're gay. whether your half gay, or full gay, you're gay :).

• OK. Thank you for clearing it up.
      But I don't really see how it relates to this take?
      This is only an article about terminologies, not about dating.
      Anyways, thank you for sharing your thought dear Melanin Doll.

• BonnieBunny
    Sounds gay