Beyond Labels (In a World Ruled by Them)

Sorry if this is a little long. Probably one of the only MyTakes I will do.

Simply put, I get why we label and categorize everything. It makes it 'easier' for us. We can set rules. We can build accordingly. We can associate. However, I'm finding that while that may have been the subconscious intentions, it's really undermining any efforts to an actual equal world that everyone claims they so want.

For instance, when it comes to women's rights, we have feminism. The word to some is a symbol of equality for women and empowering them to be on the same level as men. To others, its now a derogatory term for people who wish to put down men in attempts to even it out or even bring above. To me, it's just a word. A label turned hurdle. It does both of the things listed, but why? Why do I need that word to fight for women's rights? To show that I believe we're on the same level because, well, I do. Being a young boy, I seriously felt like treating everyone in the world the exact same. No better and no worse. I still feel that exact same way. I only learned the word feminism when I became 16-17. It didn't make a difference too me so why do some people insist I associate with it? I don't need to associate with a label, but my beliefs.

Another example is sexuality. I understand why we have straight, gay and bi. Hell, I actually understand pan sexuality the most now because after doing research, if a gun was to my head, that's probably what I'd HAVE to claim. But why do I need these? I've only ever dated women, but am not opposed to if one day I found myself attracted to a guy. "Oh you're bi then." I mean if that makes you happy? But why do I myself have to use these things? Can people around me not function properly if they can't label something? Is it so hard for people to wrap their minds around not saying "I'm this and that" for more than 3 minutes? To me that's so simple minded and yet I believe if people started working towards this, it'd make things simpler. I'm not saying doing away completely with these terms, I get why they're in place, but maybe relaxing how often you associate with them as if it makes you who you are rather than just being a part of you.

Then you have the US's party system. It made sense but now it's turned into a joke in my eyes. People walk around associating with Democrat or Republican like it's a sorority or College Football team jersey. When I went to vote on some elections in my town it states next to their name (Rep.) or (Dem.) That put me off because what does that have to do with what kind of role they're going to play in my community? Surely people don't think just because they have claimed to be this party that they couldn't just act differently. We've all seen it happen so why is that even there? In my mind, take that little note next to the name away and people lose any knowledge of what that person actually believes or will do for their job they're running for. And when people ask me what I am, I can't tell them I just vote on who seems best or they'll just say "Oh a wasted vote." and you know what? They're right. I found that out when I was down as Independent and tried to vote in the primary. It's set up where you have to choose a side instead of really thinking for yourself or giving a fair chance to something different/in between.

Supporting all these groups is similar business.

I can say I support gays having the right to marry without saying "Oh I'm a part of the LGBT..." because I wasn't born to be a forced community member. To bear a label. I was born to be....

me. B)

Really though, is it just me? This all feels like trivial shit that's blown way out of proportion all the live long day, impeding any progress we really could be making by now. I'm much more concerned about a fucking meteor smacking our planet or super volcanoes going off.

1636

Most Helpful Girls

• The place where I live, we don't simply label stuff. Since I came to gag, here are some words people told me, and keep in mind that I don't bother to remember labels or search on Google to know what it is. So I o lyrics remember the words I hear repeatedly.
    Left-wing
    Liberal
    Conservative
    Marxist
    Blah blah blah shit I don't remember any other word.

These are apparently political terms, and I don't understand why people try to associate me with an American political party when I'm neither born in America, living in America or ever been to America.

To me, liberal and conservative have always been personal traits. Conservative meaning that you are not accepting of the changes of the new generation and liberal meaning that you are all for people's right to make their own choices and it's own associated with modern changes. I have both conservative and liberal points of view on different stuff, why the hell is it that I have to be strictly one of them?

People need to shut the fuck up and stop over complicating things.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE
  • People just use labels for attention.

We live in such an ego obsessed society that people are just dying for attention and pridr stroking.

Whenever there's some logical anti-feminism post, some girl or guy bardges in announcing how they are a true feminist and doesn't support the faulty side of feminism.

Um, if you claim green, you claim ALL the green, not some shades. You claim being feminists, then you ignorantly put yourself as apart of the entire group - for good or worse.

But thats the only reason people do labeling, to try and project some sort of self validation.

All labels do is divide us.

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Most Helpful Guy

• Good that you named it. I wonder similar since a while. To categorize and to 'sort' is a simplification of things that leads to simple (inadequate) results. It also focusses on our differences where it would be more productive to see what we have in common. It not only separates, but also can split an individual. Example: I am both a capitalist and a socialist. Who am I?

THIS IS NOT RELEVANT ANYMORE

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 14

• If someone was being racist or anti gay or anything else, how would you tell someone that your being hurt and ect? or if your gay and no one understands that you dont want to be with them. in my opinion, you label yourself to show who you are in the world.

I get your point of people shouldn't have to label you as whatever you identify as but as yourself... but the idea is to be seen as something without feeling judged in my opinion..
    i do agree with this at some point.. like how my mom likes to watch a woman whos over weight.(basically a drama reality show) She always say about how she is over weight and calls other woman big and beautiful (i agree that they are beautiful, but why add 'big'?) But i dont think there should be a show based off of her from how she's over weight. I dont flaunt my weight around on tv unless im changing it to be more healthy giving a better example to the world around me.

In the end im just ranting on about things and i hope no one dislikes this base off of my own opinions...

• Labels are not a bad thing. They help us describing others simply.
    If someone think that a label is all there is to a person, than that's his/her problem, not the label itself.
    BUT you know your sexuality. I would be disgusted if someone would think "I think she might not be exclusively heterosexual" while speaking about me.

• I like what you said. I'm actually glad I read this because I was just about to post a question saying " am I a leftist or right?" with a list of things I was and was not for, to see which one I would probably be labeled as, according to given opinions. I'm don't fully understand the meaning of what a leftist and right is, but then like you said shouldn't HAVE to be of a label. I have my own beliefs and they may even change overtime. Also I like when you said "Can people around me not function properly if they can't label something?". This statement, which you made into a question, is really something I see. Some people try to instantly label someone, without their concern or permission as something, usually out of ignorance and even pride.

• The labels are an attempt for others to try to understand what you are.

• Great

• labels are gay

• EXACTLY, WELL SAID AND BRAVO!

• interesting, you seem inslightful

• Labels simply are the extended version of ASL.

• I put my own label

• I define myself.

• I liked to read your take, thank you.

• Nice take

• Ok..

What Guys Said 35

• I guess I never thought about a lot of the labels you suggested. The ones I go by are Friend, Love, companion, maybe Teacher, and Elder.
    I don't understand the need for these labels 'Bi', 'Gay', 'Straight', 'Lesbian'.
    Why do we need those, except to divide us from being PEOPLE, FRIENDS, and FAMILY?
    Am I supposed to think differently about a male friend that likes other men, and should he need to carry the LABEL, 'GAY', when I just see the friend I have known for years?
    Has anyone read "The Scarlet Letter" by Hawthorne? The 'Label' of the time only served to alienate, and persecute one, among 'Christians' that are supposed to 'forgive', as they are 'forgiven'.
    What about the 'labels' of the Golden Star, or Pink Triangle, in Nazi Germany? How were those in any way other than horrible, and bad?
    I grew up in a time when people were persecuted, and treated differently, because of their skin color, or the shape of their eyes. Yet, in the 1960s, African-Americans (ANOTHER LABEL!) started calling each other 'Brother' or 'Sister' for some kind of unification, and identity? I don't know, but I like THOSE Labels: Brother, Sister, Mother, Father, Grandmother, Grandfather, as they are all labels of unity, and respect, and honor, rather than separation, and division!

• What someone people call labels is really just calling a thing by a word.
    Someone doesn't label themself as gay. They are gay, and they call themselves so.
    Why? Because that's what its fucking called.
    Complaining about labeling is like complaining anout the invention of language

• I was trying to complain about the trend setting of labels. I understand what they're used for, but many people today walk around with "i'm gay, conservative, anti-religious etc" thinking this all they are, when they should be able to think beyond that is all I'm trying to get across.

• How about these labels.
    Conservative
    Republican
    Trump supporter.
    In the wrong neughborhood, these will get you hurt.

• Exactly one of my points. The labels can be used in negative connotations against people, regardless of the person themselves and how they truly are.

• Okay then what about a Bernie supporter in Louisiana which is both VERY conservative and happens to have the highest violent crime rate in the country

• @Waffles731 Not to do with conservatism. It's the social culture. The Klan is likely "conservative" and they have a rep for misbehaving.

• Labels are summaries of what to expect. Human beings need them to understand the world. Water is a liquid. Gas is a vapor. I am a guy. It makes things easier, so its a slippery slope to say we do or don't need labels.

People made it a bad thing, when in reality, its just a label.

• People use these labels as a form of tribal identity. I think it's human nature.

• You're more than likely right about that and I agree with you. Still, human nature is known to be flawed at times and I believe this is one of those times.

• I support equal rights and equal opportunity. Meaning, im a egalitarian, which incorporates economic equality (not equality of outcome), women's, LGBT and individual rights.
    You do you and I'll do me. Voluntary association and negative rights.

I do support some positive rights though because without them negative rights would be useless in my opinion.

• Oh get outta here... you people are all hypocrites. It's only bad to label liberal people... but when it comes time to label conservatives, racists, trump supporters etc... y'all have no problem labeling..

• We need labels to categorize the world. Not doing that, we will live in a mental chaos. Something the human mind can't cope. A dosage of chaos balanced with order is fine. Complete chaos not so much.

• People did that. And I think why we have labels. Is so if someone asks "are you gay?" They don't have to explain "no, I like girls too, but I also like guys, so I'm not gay, but I'm not straight either, I'm inbetween..."
    Instead they can just say "no, I'm bi." Because that's what labels do. That label something.

Like at the supermarket if you're looking for tomatoes. If none of the vegetables were labeled. And you weren't sure what a tomato looked like. It would be really hard to find.
    Labels are just an easy way to explain what something is. Without actually explaining it all the way out every single time. So they are a good thing. Just so long as they're accurate. I think.

Good take. Thank you.

• Very well said. I hate labels as well, societal expectations. So, I just do what makes me happy, and I don't care what others think about it.

• It's certainly true that we usually don't look past labels (we treat them as brands).

• Labeling others is not right. For those so called christans they think that they are better than others

• Labels help to stop annoying questions and make things readily explained as long as such things are accurate

• Nouns are useful. You can label someone a lefty, but the idea that they can't have right leaning sympathies is stupid.

• To me, the parties are like pro wrestlers trash-talking each other (I'm no fan).

• But... without labels how will worthless people pay their bills?

• Damn, you stole the idea I had for my first MyTake

• Lmao Sorry about that, but hey, at least now you and I know we aren't alone on this.

• no im gonna label all of you

every single one

• You're just an anti-labeler

• Nice take

• More from Guys
    15