The Term "Thick/Thicc" is Erroneous and Stupid, and No One Should Use It

This may ruffle some feathers, but sadly the truth often does.

The terms 'thick,' or its misspelled version 'thicc,' are stupid. Stop using them. It makes the people saying it, especially the girls describing themselves with it, sound uneducated and ridiculous.

It is often merely a synonym for "fat." It has become mainstream in the last ten years or so as more and more people, especially in America, are uncomfortable with calling themselves fat or overweight or obese. The CDC has confirmed for *many years* that Americans are in an obesity crisis. https://www.cdc.gov/obesity/data/adult.html

The Term

...Think about it-- if there's nothing wrong with being overweight (even though there is, like extra stress on your joints and extra stress on your pancreas and possible pre-diabetes and being constantly out of breath from even the barest amount of exercise, but let's ignore all that for now) as the "body positivity movement" suggests, then why do people consider it an insult to just be referred to as simply "fat?" No one gets upset at being called "tall," do they? Or "brown-haired" or "slick" or "hale." Even "short" isn't a big deal, as long as you're a girl. So if being fat isn't a big deal, then why are so many people, especially girls, so afraid to just acknowledge their own physique in the simplest terms?

The answer is that it is a big deal because no one actually wants to be that way. If we all had our druthers, we'd all be fit and lean. No one refers to guys as "thick" either... why not? if we're all about equality here? Could it be that... guys simply acknowledge that that body type isn't particularly aesthetically pleasurable to most of the opposite sex?

This is an example of a girl that many people may thusly describe:

The Term

She has very nice hair and a nice face, and a really nice rack. I think that many guys would find her attractive, despite not being thin. So herein lies the problem: Is she fat? Well, no, not exactly, but obviously she's not thin either. So what do we call her? Well, people usually would call her thick. Or curvy. But here's the problem-- other girls that truly are just unhealthily overweight have been calling themselves the same things for years, to the point that the term has no substantive meaning any more. This girl ^ may have once been considered "curvy" in a good way, but it means nothing now, because so are the following females, allegedly:

The Term The Term The Term

Or they're "plus-sized." Or they're "BBWs." Like... please. Spare us. Stop. A rose by any other name is still a rose. If we call literally every color in the world "red," then colors that truly are red lose their meaning. Red is no longer a color, in that instance-- it's nothing. It becomes intangible and unfocused, like squinting at a giraffe through dirt-smudged eyeglasses on a painfully bright, sunny day and being asked to describe it to a blind person. Likewise, that is what "thick/thicc" and "curvy" are now.

So what's the solution?

Simple: Stop using these terms. Again, if we truly believe that there's nothing wrong with being overweight, then we shouldn't shy from the label should we? Why would we, logically? What I am *not* suggesting here is that people should throw it in each others' faces-- you see a dude who is fat walking down the street, and toss in his his face as he waddles by with "What up, fat?" Noooo, no. That's not the point.

The point is that on GaG or anywhere else online, if someone actually asks for a real appraisal of their looks and weight, you should be honest with them. You shouldn't be malicious or vindictive about it, because what good does that do? It does no good at all. But telling a person who is fat or obese that, hey don't worry you're still attractive, you're not fat you're just thicc, like.... we aren't doing ourselves any good with that. And we should all still be working toward a world in which obesity is eradicated, and we can all live lives that are as healthy and fit as we can make them.

Thanks in advance for your cooperation. Hugs and kisses.

1532
Anon-ymous1 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Girl

• I 100% agree with you and think the fat acceptance movement is stupid. I don't agree with you that we should stop using the term thicc, I just think we should laugh when grossly overweight people use it on themselves. Thicc/curvy in my opinion should only be used for attractively distributed weight, and I still stand by that its a good descriptor. Honestly, I'm over-weight and I wish people would fat shame me more so I'd feel motivated to lose it but I'm distributed with it pretty well so they don't. It sorta sucks because I know I'm not healthy, I know I'm borderline obese, I just can't bring myself to feel motivated to fix it and then everyone's saying how great I look.

• Yeah you feel like you can't get motivated. That's hard.

• Yeah well, I'll be motivated but then I'll get depressed about something and in turn I give up and eat junk food. I used to cut, now I eat. Neither is healthy or a good coping mechanism and I'm glad more people are realizing that over-eating isn't a good thing. Whether its for gluttony, or emotional instabilities its a bad habit.

• It is, sure. And you have the power to change it. You just aren't sure right now that you can, if I'm hearing you right.

Most Helpful Guys

• You are right. The only thing you're wrong about is calling girls thick happened more than 10 years ago. We called girls like your first pic and maybe the last pic curvy when I was in high school. Thick meant maybe 40 or 50 pounds overweight. Now people may use it to describe huge bottoms with small stomaches. I suspect rap songs started that lol since those guys seem to dream about those body types.

• Dunno why. Not much to dream about with those, in my opinion. Can I carry a heavy girl to bed or give her a piggy back ride around in the park? Nope. Not sure what's supposed to be feminine about that. And I'm a pretty strong guy.

• Stop disagreeing with me, Anon!

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 14

• "Gurrrr I hate the fluidity of language and people having fun with it"

• Why did you even post this take if you’re getting all defensive and don’t even want to have a discussion about it?

• I'm not defensive; you can say whatever you like. I'm not blocking you or some stupid shit like that, which is what incompetent dumbasses do on this site. I just think it's hilarious that you think you're right because you've taken... wait for it... seven psych courses! Imagine that! That's, like, SO MANY psych courses! What an expert!

It doesn't mean you're right-- making sense and making a logical argument mean someone is right. Obesity is bad, and everyone knows it-- that's all the logic and reality I need. Disputing that is as dumb as disputing that cigarette smoking is bad. Now, is my post as much about aesthetic as it is about health? Yeah, absolutely. And... so what? Aesthetic doesn't matter? Why is smoking unattractive? Well, in large part, because it's really bad for you. Why is being overweight unattractive? Because it's bad for you. This is very simple.

• the word fat has negative connotations and people want to avoid it

• Giving it positive connotations also be a problem though. What do?

• @COCOCHANEL He's a big boy. 😺

• Negro has negative connotations, I am black!
      Black has negative connotations, I am African- American!
      African-American has negative connotations (Africa is a shithole), I am a person of color
      Person of color is too inclusive, I am BLACK again.

Retarded has negative connotations, I am handicapped!
      Handicapped has negative connotations, I am disabled
      Disabled has negative connotations, I am differently abled.

• Oh you poor baby.

• Language dictatorship and closedness. People evolve and so is the spoken language, fat is rude just like skinny. Euphemism will always exist, if you can't accept it you will srruggle.

• Skinny isn't rude. And you're really suggesting that no one can ever possibly make mistakes with language because... euphemism? I gotta say... no.

• @fadingmoonlight The people making fun of someone for being skinny are usually jealous.

• I guess some are but are people that are mean towards overweight people jealous of their body too? I think it's just sad how everyone judges people by their looks. Tbh I do too and sometimes I hate myself for that but it is how it is. If you're not looking perfect, whether it is skinny or curvy, they won't like you. Sure there are some people who don't care about the looks and this is just my opinion and how I personally see all of this.

• You realize, don't you that there's a difference between being body shamed and being actually concerned about their health?
    Being called fat is stupid. When I read the title I was like, "I agree with him strangely"
    And you had to ruin it! It's ridiculous how one day you justify cheating and the other day you justify being called fat.
    It's ridiculous. And disgusting.

• I had to "ruin it"... how. What ruined it.

• You're really beyond my understanding.
      Have a good day.

• No, you're wrong. Some women are thin or petite, some are rather slim/average, other are curvy/thick and so on. It's called body shapes and body types. Put three women of the same height and weight and you'll see that despite the same statistics, they look different. One can be more curvaceous than the other etc.

• Sure everyone's slightly different... what does that have to do with the point of my post.

• No it isn't. And many guys are idiots.

• That more of an argument for having another word for 'unattractively muscular.'

• How about we stop being sensitive and needing safe spaces and actually not care what people think or say, especially in the media! I'm bilingual and I enjoy watching pages and memes from different countries and people roast the fk outta each other and they laugh about it but here nobody can say a "sensitive thing" without people calling the police. AMERICANS

• Lots of Americans are idiots, it's true.

• Canadians as well. Everyone says how nice they are but the downside is that you can never say critical things no matter how nicely you say it. Political Correctness is ravaging Canada too.

• @InTimoreDei It's not "political correctness." Everyone needs to stop overusing that phrase just because 45 is a fucking clown and likes saying it all the time.

• Referring to overweight people as "thick" almost seems like a subconscious social reaction to referring to perfectly healthy people as "fat". Nothing new, just mirrored.

Both stupid. Meh.

• "Thicc"... Well you can't force people to stop saying it. It's slang and if that's what they wish to say then let them

• Obviously I can't *STOP* them. That's not the point. People CAN say it, sure, and anyone with an IQ above room temperature CAN then make fun of them for sounding stupid.

• Your opinion that the slang is stupid. And yup, you can't stop them

• Yawn. It is stupid.

• I agree with you that a word becomes meaningless when it can mean anything under the sun, because thin girls also want to be called curvy, because it's in.
    Have you ever heard the term "Dad Bod"? It's a thing.

• Yeah, it's dumb. He doesn't have a "dad bod"-- he's chubby, or unfit, or overweight. It's very simple.

• Because the objective terms are overweight, obese and morbidly obese and are defined by the BMI for the average person that doesn't weight lift.
      The word "fat" isn't a objective description, but a subjective one. To some, an overweight person is already fat. To others, overweight is not fat yet. And some people call normal weight people fat because they like skinny people.
      When person A calls person B fat, it's never really about whether B really is fat, but really about A saying he finds B unattractive.
      Since everyone knows it's meant as an insult (who wants to be called unattractive to their face?) and always subjective, it's rude to call someone fat. Overweight and obese are not subjective words and people should be allowed to use them.

• Fat is also not subjective. I disagree.

• What’s the solution? Start using thiccorita instead

• Thick means curvy to me, nothing in relation to being overweight

• You must have not read it. "Curvy" is the same thing, and it's in there too.

• Why does this even bother you?

• Yeah, I remember when under the question about thick tighs you answered that thick means fat and no fat girl is pretty to you. But seriously, can you imagine a fat person with completely flat stomach?

• Huh? How would that work.

• exactly, I don't think the OP understands thicc. Plenty of women can have slim or not fat tummy, but meat on their legs and booty, which guy's love, well the boys might not like, maybe one day they will. Grown men love curves and meat on women's bones. Not fat, but thicc there's a difference

• @brennanhuff "Meat" isn't meat. It's "meat." Because REAL meat is muscle. "Meat" is fat.

What Guys Said 30

• The only ones of the 3 pics I would describe as fat are the 3 in the second pic.. The other two are just shapely chubby women whom are pretty sexy in my eyes.. I usually don't use the term myself, and I most def don't use it to describe a "fat" girl unless she gotta a big booty.. But I don't know how many people actually use the term.. It's mainly girls who are "fat" who use it on themselves..

• Thick is an attractive women that is a bit on the heavier side. Fat women like to call themselves Curvy or Thick but they aren't. They just do it to make themselves feel better about being fat. Men don't refer to themselves as such. Its mostly a defense mechanism. But Thick is a thing, look up Iskra Lawrence. That women is gods gift to this earth lol.

• Meh, I gotta give a "nope" on that chick. She's okay I guess, but nothing special. No offense.

• Lol, says a guy who I'm sure is nothing special himself.

• Meh. I'm not bad I guess. Dunno how "Iskra Lawrence is mediocre" got changed into "you must be mediocre." Good one.

• Thick is thick. Curvy is curvy. Neither necessarily make you fat but it doesn't mean that you aren't. You can be curvy and be slim. You can be "thick" and not have curves. Some people gain fat in one place more than another, whereas some have it even. Some just have really good genes.

One of my good friends is curvy, because she is, however, she is fat. She is also thick. You can be all three, two out of three, or none at all.

• So if I understand correctly, thick (or thicc to those who don't even understand basic English) just means fat, right? If someone has curves, you call 'em curvy, or ''She has good/big curves''.

Anyways, fat is the same as thick. If fat isn't considered appropriate, how's thick appropriate?

• I don't know, it's just a way that people justify their weight to themselves.

• It's part of the stupidity of people that they feel the need to misuse words. I've read so many articles about this person or that pereon who "destroyed Trump" but there he is the next day, merrily destroying our country.

How about sports "heroes?" Have you ever seen one of them doing something heroic, like giving up their lives for their country? No. They run around, playing a game designed for children, and getting big bucks for doing so.

• Thicc girls aren't fat, they just phat in all the right places. Fat woman aren't so and have too much on their body.

• ... No man. There's no different. Go ahead and throw "phat" into the mix too; it's the same thing and it's also dumb.

• Also, let's not pretend anymore that Beyonce is hot, OK? I have nothing against her body, but due to aging and botox, she has a manface.
      Seriously:
      i.ytimg.com/vi/czCjlVaQIlk/maxresdefault.jpg
      The fac tthat she looks only half decent with industrial amounts of makeup is telling.

• @Benedek38 I agree, she's only okay. I mean I would have hit it before she became a mom, but as is, yeah she's alright I guess; there are many, many hotter chicks.

• Sorry, but these stupid terms have been melted into my brain. I can't resist :(

• The solution? When you see it happen, be willing to be the asshole the calls it out and accept the unintended consequences that come with being true.

• I get part of what you're saying. I understand not liking the term because it sounds uneducated, but at the same time when I hear it or even use it jokingly/or not, I don't associate it with fat. I usually think of a girl who has some meat on her and not necessarily just her stomach The very first picture is the only one I would dub as 'thicc' the other girls however, were sadly just overweight in my opinion.

• "Meat" isn't meat. Meat is fat. Meat is technically muscle.

... But that's not what you meant, is it.

• Sorry, "meat" is fat. Real meat is muscle.

• I don't know what you're getting at anymore lol

but I guess I meant the word flesh to be more specific.

Meat: 'the flesh of an animal (especially a mammal) as food.'
      Flesh: 'the soft substance consisting of muscle and fat that is found between the skin and bones of an animal or a human.'

• I WILL SAY WHATEVER THE LIVING *FUCK* I CHOOSE TO SAY

• Sorry man, the only thing stupid and erroneous here is you and this MyTake. The second you foolishly confused thick with fat, you lost all credibility.

Some women here are indeed thick. They don't fit the definition of curvy due to their lack of hourglass waist. Some were genuinely fat. But being able to spot the difference and unfairly tell others not to use the word because others are inappropriately labeled is what's stupid.

• Well, there's 'thick', or 'curvy', or a 'big girl', and then there's just FAT like some of the pics here.
    Some of them need to eat less and move more. FAT isn't ever attractive, it's unhealthy, and disgusting, and shows a lack of self control, indulgence that's gone way beyond any form of decency or normalcy. Quit making excuses for them.

• Bruuhhh who are the three girls in the 3rd picture? They are T H I C C

• All these terminologies are so silly to me. "Thicc", "Woke", "twerk". LOL. You're right... just makes you seem unintelligent if you use such language.

• The word Thick has been mainstream for more then tens years. Its been around to describe girls for since I can remember. Its nothing new or mainstream about it.

• ... Huh? You just said it has been mainstream, then said [there's] nothing mainstream about it.

• Thick should only me attributed to black women, everyone else is chubby. LOL

• To protect their delicate feelings? Ah I see. I'll remove my down vote.

• Just gotta ignore peoples feelings and let them feel the blunt of honesty, I don't mind the use of slang one bit but those fat women aren't thicc, they are just fat, the first one was thicc though

• No, she's not anything. She's just average. She's not fat and not thin; that makes her average.

• No, she is more than average in several ways. Most obviously bust size and hips, both of which are above average yet maintains a slimmer look elsewhere. If you really want to call that average then good luck, I'm sure it will blow great for you

• It is average. She's average weight.

• I use thicc more as a meme more than something serious.

• Where I'm from "thick" means something very different.

• More from Guys
    10