Anti-Racism and Feminism Do Not Encourage Equality

I believe that the original campaigners for anti-racism and feminism had an idea in their minds of a world where skin-colour, gender, sexual orientation etc. were irrelevant. People would not see someone's colour or gender, they would see an individual and not assume anything about them. While I think that these campaigns to end racism and sexism have made the world a much better place, and have made society much more accepting and understanding, I do not believe that they have necessarily made people more equal to each other, or have made skin-colour and gender irrelevant.

Before I begin my arguments, I just want to say that racism is still a huge issue in the world today and people are still treated awfully because of their skin, and also that I believe men remain valued more than women. I am not discounting anti-racism or feminism in any way. I believe that they are both very important as sexism and racism remain problems.

This myTake is not meant to be offensive in any way. I apologise sincerely if I come across racist or sexist, it is not my intention at all.

Anti-racism:

In my country, I have always noticed that anytime there is an advertisement on tv which includes crime, the criminal is always white-coloured. This is an act of anti-racism. Because if it was someone of any other race playing the criminal, there would be an uproar and the ad would be considered racist. While it is really important not to assume things about someone based on their skin colour, this is not contributing to equality.

Equality would be when absolutely anyone could have been used in that ad, and people would see that person as an individual and ignore their skin. Anti-racism has been taken to the point where instead of seeing everyone as human, no matter where they come from, we must be extremely careful of whatever we say. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, only that anti-racism has not brought humans any closer to seeing each other as equals, as a whole. It has made the world a much better place, but does not bring completely equal opportunities to every colour. Anti-racism still takes into account people's race, even if it is not in a negative way. Otherwise, why would an ad with a coloured criminal be considered racist? It preaches that we should never treat people negatively or unjustly because of their skin, which is really, really important. However, I don't think that equality, the original intention of anti-racism, is a focus of the movement; maybe it has just become clouded.

Feminism:

There is a new song by Ariana Grande called God is a Woman. While the song has nothing to do with religion, if the title was God is a Man, there would be total chaos, no matter what the song is about. While it is feminism, this is not equality.

In some universities, there are places reserved for girls to encourage them to get involved in certain careers. I am not saying this is right or wrong, only that again, this is feminism but not equality. While I think it is important that girls are able to choose any path they would like in life, I personally believe that the people who get into that university course should have gotten in because they are the best choices, regardless of gender. I would hate to be rejected from something because I am a girl, but I would also hate to be accepted just because I am a girl. Feminism, like racism, has not taken the road of equality, but instead a road of positive (most of the time) difference.

Again (I cannot stress this enough) I am sorry if this has come across as offensive. I personally believe in equality between everyone, but you do not have to. This myTake is only meant to inform so you can have something to think about. I welcome any of your opinions, corrections and criticism.

1238

Most Helpful Guys

• Good points. Often times I notice, in attempts fight racism and sexism, they will attempt to balance things out. Sexism and racism occurs towards women and minorities, as it always seemed to, but now, instead of just correcting the wrong, we just change who we wrong. I find feminism to be completely flawed. The philosophy is great, equality of the genders, however, men are wronged all the time on the basis they are men, and no one says a word on it.
    To get my full opinion on feminism and being politically correct, I invite you to read my MyTakes on feminism and PC Culture. I will address a few things now though.
    For one thing, whenever someone says something racist on Twitter or television, they are usually fired. I must ask, how does someone losing their source of income going to teach them a lesson? Do we honestly think that if we fire someone their mind goes "oh, that's wrong to say. I'm so ignorant. I'm gonna change my ways"? No. They get more angry and their dumb ignorance turns to bitter anger and what I call true racism. When you tell ignorant people to shut up and go away, you do not change their minds. They do not become educated. They turn worse.
    For my other points, turn to the MyTakes I wrote.

• Bingo... Women oppressed, start oppressing men. POC suffer racism, start being racist to white people.

The hyper focus on equal outcome instead of just zeroing in on the equal opportunity is their biggest flaw.

That and they don't know when to quit. Give them what they want and they'll keep harping on. If it's unreasonable, they'll want it anyway. Simply no end.

• @D_Bone_Steak not even the people of color being racist back. It's these "enlightened" white people who think they're saving the world by saying all white people are guilty and evil.

• Hell yeah... The whole reason I didn't say POC's are the ones being racist to white people in response to POC suffering racism... because 9 times out of 10, it's white people hating on other white people in response to racism towards POC's. The icing on the cake is it's usually a class of white people that is responsible for any racism towards any POC's to begin with. That class of whites then try to say 'all' whites are as privileged as them. I hate to say this, but that actually is racist... even if it is directed at white people. Any judgement based on skin color.

• Well, I never agree when people say "we should not see race or color"... We obviously do see differences among us.. The thing is that people still make it seem like we are different species.. People obviously see somebodys skin shade when they first talk to them and ain't nothin wrong wit sayin "Oh you have beautiful Brown skin, or pale skin".. That's The thing people just kina sweep it under the rug.. "Oh, I order for us to move forward we just need to stop talkin about race in general" That's not gonna work.. Like I said all if does is sweep everything under the rug.. & As for Feminism.. I agree that some take it over board.. I think true feminist are here for men.. They see men as equal beings they wanna work wit to make a better society..

• Sorry I don't think I worded it properly, I meant by "we should not see race or colour" as "we should not assume things when seeing race or colour". The feminism you describe is what a believe the original intention was but obviously things have changed. This myTake is just exploring whether we are heading towards the equality originally intended, which is not necessarily a good or bad thing

• Aw okay yeah I definitely agree on that... 8).. & Yeah that seems like it's pretty true for mainstream third wave feminism..

Most Helpful Girls

• Equality is irrelevant. There is never going to be equality because none of us are the same. For something to be equal it has to be exactly the same and that is never going to happen. What we as a society should strive for is equity. Equity not to be confused with equality is when people are given the help that is needed to reach an equal level. Catering everyone with the same thing won't create balance nor fairness. A picture to better depict what I'm trying to explain.

• I can understand what you're trying to get at, but I disagree for the most part, and your graphic, while clever, is also a little misleading.

A short person doesn't have any say on if they're short or not, so it's only fair that the short person should get an extra boost. However, when it comes to life success, unless you believe in something like inferior races/sexes, people have a great deal of say on whether they do the things that will ultimately make them successful or not. Obviously there are exceptions, like disabilities.

A better example for equity would be 3 people of the same height. One of them is pulling themselves on top of the fence, the second is getting a boost up, and the third is sitting on someone else's shoulders.

in my opinion, we shouldn't try to make sure people wind up being successful despite their own actions. We should make sure success is possible for everyone, and let people decide what they're going to do.

• First, I think it's important to note that we've changed subject a bit. We're no longer talking about a person's inherent ability to be successful, but a person's economic position.

The issue with giving different help to the poor and rich is that it harms people who are trying to improve their economic situation and traps them in poverty. Generally, if you want to get richer, you're going to have to work harder (i. e. take a more stressful job or more hours), this can increase some expenses and lower your quality of life, for example by paying for childcare rather than spending time with your kids. If you lose government benefits at the same time, a promotion can even result in a net loss of income. This means for the poor, it can be better for them to stay poor, because their finances and quality of life are in a better place than if they got a little richer and started moving up. It traps them there, and I think that's an enormous problem.

• @JZ909 It was just an example. To further prove my point, not really for you to overanalyze but whatever.

• how about you focus on promoting what you believe, not just speaking against what other people promote?

You will achive nothing by attacking feminism or anti-racism.
    There is no fair movment 100% and sometimes it should get messy. Eg. maybe its not that wrong that black people are on top, at least for a while, can you give them a moment to shine? Same thing with females. If they are on top at least for a little while is that so wrong?
    Men and white people have been for a while now.
    Anyway I dont agree on what you posted, we need feminism and anti-racism even if its sometimes unfair. Without it can you imagine how it wouldve been?

• This post is not attacking feminism or anti-racism at all, it's simply wondering if the equality that the original campaigners hoped for is what is being worked towards. I never said it was a bad thing if we're taking a different direction

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 36

• People will never look at someone and not see race or gender. That is an unrealistic goal.

• I agree with this take completely.

I'm absolutely for egalitarianism (equality for all), and I think that most people who are promoting "anti-racism" or "feminism" are actually divisive and NOT working for equality - which is why I don't support them.

It's a lot harder to gain personal power and influence when you are for equality for all than it is when you are divisive and favor one group over another, unfortunately.

• Yeah the real sexists and racists hijacked the movements and it's usually due to confusion of one basic element.

Equal opportunity and equal outcome cannot exist side by side.

Different people make their own choices and it equals different outcomes... same with gender. The only way to get equal outcome is to strip humans of freedom of choice. i. e. force females to work dangerous jobs for more pay, force females to do jobs they don't want to do... data management. The push for equal outcome starts to step on their own freedoms and they don't even realize it.

For some it has become religious. So much so, a black guy becomes a Nazi for simply not agreeing with them... but I don't even want to talk about the triggerly puffs out there that are the fuel of all those 'feminists owned' videos out there... They've hijacked the Democratic party to the point that #walkaway is a thing, they've hijacked many hobbies (comics, video games, nerd shit) to the point that they end up bankrupt trying to satisfy the 'social justice' crowed (get woke, go broke), and they have an even greater portion of men literally not wanting anything to do with women except for sex (MGTOW) even.

They eat their own (lacy Green, Bernie Sanders, etc.) and an apology to any of them just means they'll attack you more. Purity spirals and such... and, looks like I still ended up talking about the crazy ones.

Bottom line, to those of us that are just trying to get through our day without running into any drama... these people have only created more problems than they're solving. Everyone is walking on eggshells around anyone that might start screaming how much a victim they are and pointing at you (me... anyone at this point [even one of their own]).

They though... they think they're pias... saintly... doing good. They don't even see how they just suck the fun out of everything and lack any self awareness as to how they look doing it.

• I couldn't have said it better my self you're the best bro!!! :-)

• Well gee, we had half the country voting for a presidential candidate for the simple fact there was a vagina present. Fail.

• I don't even wanna touch this two topics, mainly because even if il try to make a common sense display there will always be a person turning my non-racist, non-anti-feminist comment into a racist one or anti feminist one, by misinterpreting my words. (and for sure il get a reply even to this comment, proving what i just said.)

• These are all non-issues. They have been hijacked and used by the establishment to get us fighting with each other.

• This is all part of NWO agenda to divide us and get us fighting with each other. Look up David Icke and Alex Jones on YouTube.

Infowars. com

• thanks I will!

• Why did you open a new account, @Trollfather?

• @goaded I was banned briefly. Back now.

• You just need to listen to them. All they talk about is removing stuff from people and giving them for free to other people.
    And it's never about equality. It always taking from some people, to give to others.

• Truth is only offensive to those who prefer bullshit. Don't worry about offending those assholes. You speak the truth.

• Any sort public awareness makes things better for equality. Whether it be for black people to be able to ride buses, attend colleges. Women to vote, pursue a career they want, there have been advances. What wasn't allowed before is allowed now. Does that make people less racist or sexist? Probably not but at least some people have more freedom from oppression.

• " I believe men remain valued more than women " I am a FT working single dad... you could have fooled me !! Certainly in Western countries men are bashed relentlessly and viewed as far beneath women , however in most of the 3 rd World , you are correct. Overall , good take , feminism and " reverse racism " do NOT encourage cordial relations between the sexes / races , these is a deliberate " Divide and Rule " agenda at work.

• The wage gap is widening. Men and women have never been more at odds. Female depression is on the rise. Men still retain the CEO positions in 96% of companies. Men make up 85% of the tech fields. Republicans have been gutting abortion rights since Trump walked in office. Tell me again what feminism is gaining for women?

• I just wonder: With all the men complaining about women not being into nice guys, and with all the women complaining about nice guys' entitlement, isn't that a sign that lots of men are willing to go the extra mile for women, simply because they are attracted to them?

Of course I am totally biased, but growing up in the Western world, I just can't for the life of me recognize the feminist narrative in my life experiences. I am privileged? Really? The women telling me this unfailingly have more career and romantic success than I do. They also come off as more carefree, just from the way they talk about stuff.

• Feminism is sexist and they have always worked with liberals who are racist so uhh yea hypocrisy level 9000

• Offering criticism without of offering an alternative doesn't accomplish anything.
    So what does encourage equality?

• It is a good take
    Part of the problem with these movements is that the continuation of the movements have become a goal in itself
    And in order to do that they create and maintain division
    If racism was no longer an issue a lot of people speaking for the oppressed races would no longer have a platform would no longer have a power structure and so on...
    The same applies to feminism of course
    To fully succeed those groups need to make themselves redundant but the ones who only have their identity and authority through these groups obviously resist that
    Not that they would have made themselves redundant yet even if all parties were on-board with that
    But the closer they get the less it becomes about equality but rather about "the enemy" the ones they needed to equalise with in the first place

• You lost me at the "men remain valued more than women" part.

• I Agree with your premise. Race is an issue the entire world faces and not just in the United States. Think about this The Chinese are trying to Breed out the ethnic to battens And the ethic Turks living in the north west of China. In Burma 🇲🇲 they are slaughtering the rehinga there do to there religion. In South Africa the government is taking land from whites and giving it to the black. There are still issues between the curds and the Turks and the Saudis, you can pretty much get rid of racism in the Western society but the east is hard especially with the historic tension there’ll brought on by a government who will kill protesters on sight there not gonna be much progress there for at least another 500 years

• You said you believe that men are still valued more than women. No, quite the opposite.

• "Before I begin my arguments, I just want to say that racism is still a huge issue in the world today and people are still treated awfully because of their skin"

Isn't that pretty anti-science to believe that race is only skin color? Seriously. Simple example, white people can drink milk, Africans have sickle cell anemia. Different races also have different facial structures, tend to have different heights and weights, and different average IQ scores.

Isn't it pretty anti-science to believe that while evolution impacted height, skin tone, eye color, hair, vulnerability to various illnesses, that it somehow did not impact how people behave? Or as my psychology professor used to ask us. "Which is more important, nature or nurture?"
    The only answer she would grade as correct: "Both!"

• God is egalitarian. Racists and sexists are not.

• Nice Take

• yes l do

• Nice take

• Don’t apologize for the truth. The truth is often offensive nowadays.

The good news is there a growing minority of women and colored people who are noticing this bullshit. Good intentioned or not it’s making things worse not better.

• I don't really pay attention to any of that stuff

• Liberals and progressives are the least tolerant of any group including nazis

• Unfortunately, people are selfish by nature. Feminists in general truly do not give a rats ass if men suffer or not as long as the feminists get what they want.

MRA's in generaly truly do not give a rats ass if women suffer or not as long as the MRA's get what they want. I read an article where this woman who is a feminist talked about how she is now more focused on male issues. But it's only because she had a son. So if she didn't have a son she wouldn't give a shit about men www.scarymommy.com/.../ So this isn't a critique on feminism or MRA's it's just a critique on people. We really are monsters at our core.

• Men are not valued more than women. It's just the opposite, actually. You are projecting your own insecurities and feelings of inferiority. Society clearly values women more than men. Always has.

• Even when they were literally the property of their fathers or husbands?

• That's an interesting point, but I'd say what you're describing is not about valuing women as people, it's about valuing them as property. You're expected to risk your life to protect your wallet or home, as well.

• @goaded That does not ring true to me. Why would a man give his life to protect "property" that is of no use to him when he's dead? A man give his life to protect people he loves, but not to protect his property.

• I stopped reading after "I believe men remain valued more than women" because that's definitely not true. It's the other way around.

• Show more from Guys
    6

What Girls Said 10

• Actually Feminism and Anti-racism DO encouurage equality, but the actions of people who belong in these movements don't.
    It's different.

• Maybe reverse racism is what she meant

• @ThePundertaker sorry I didn't mean to tag you I was trying to reply to the original writer of the opinion

• Hey it’s cool
      I feel yah

• They actually do. Just because there are those who are radicals within the belief (and there are radicals in every belief) does not mean that anti-racism and feminism are now horrible.

It's a logical error. Those people don't change the fundamental tenants of those ideologies. They are just more extreme with it.

• Yeah we're done with pitying them sorry darling but you gotta accept the truth that feminism is not equality for all of us they just changed the inequality from women to men and anti racism movements are not anti racist they just shifted the racism from black men to white men and that's not equality you just want to see the white men suffer just because their ancestors did something wrong, they didn't even do it!! Their ancestors did it so why should they get punished?

• The fallacy argument in your statement is that we aren't discussing what the "fundamental" principles of a belief are or ideally should be. We are discussing the status quo and accepted norms in the modern day. This is really about the movements going too far and being corrupted by those who really want to divide rather than unite the races and genders, and they are also the ones starting to actively shape the direction of those movements.

I hope that didn't get too verbose.

• I want to just state in short that it has nothing to do with logical error.

• Feminists of todays society fight for being above men they want everything handed to them rather than having to fight as hard as men to get to it.

• Actually, I hate the song "God is a Woman". I did not listen to it, but giving God a gender even if you don't intend to hurt a religion or anything is still so wrong.

• Men are NOT more valued than women, they are just taken more seriously.

• Wher is the equality?
    %9 women and %91 men about everything in the world.
    .
    Most of the guys have racist thoughts and behaviour about women.
    The Abrahamic Religions said (especially the islam) that women are such as the animals that God created them as sexual slaves for Men. Even their Gifts in the paradise is a lot of women like to Angeles?
    Jewish religion says women are dirty because their period!!!
    Christianity, Islam even Zoroastrianism say too.
    .
    So Feminism is not like Racism.
    Feminism is the scream of women's liberation.
    .
    Just the religious women are anti feminism. Because they are Stupid and they likes to be the Slavs for Men.

• I've been preaching this for years, thank you.

• Nah, feminism and anti-racism are definitely for equality.
    First of all, you need to distinguish feminism from feminazism.
    Second of all, you need to distinguish neo-liberals from anti-racists.

• Anti-Racism and Feminism Do Not Encourage Equality title alone hits the spot

• Good take