Why it's OK to Shame Bad People and Bad Behavior

Are you tired of seeing people here, condemning your opinion, because you're 'shaming' others?

How dare you? What gives YOU the right to shame them?

Well, don't back down. It's not always wrong to shame.

When is it not OK to shame?

In my book, shaming a person for something they have no control over is always wrong. If somebody is in a wheelchair, did they ask to be unable to walk? The chances are that no, they didn't.

Likewise, if you shame somebody for the color of their skin, what are they supposed to do about it? And how is it wrong anyway?

When is it OK to shame?

When a person is exhibiting a behavior that is negative, either for themselves, or for society as a whole, then I feel, yes, it's fine to call them out on it.

Why is it OK? Because they are in control of their behavior, and it's down to them to change it. This is within their control.

If somebody spread lies about you, would you challenge them and shame them for it, or would you just leave them to carry on?

If somebody was a rapist or a thief, is it wrong to call them out?

Some people seek to stop you from shaming promiscuous people, people who engage in bestiality, incest or cucking. They tell you to mind your own business, that you should live and let live, and how it's not hurting you etc. But you are the judge of what you find acceptable or not, NOT them.

All these things harm society in a variety of different ways. They spread diseases, they lower the moral tone, they are baby steps towards the ultimate goal, which is empowering the individual over society as a whole.

What are people who are demanding that you don't shame really asking you to do? They're asking for carte blanche for behaviors that you disagree with. They want to normalize it, and they do not accept your right to a different opinion.

Ask yourself if you want to live in a society, where people are allowed to get away with anything. That's where this is heading.

So shame them, by all means.

1333

Most Helpful Girls

• We all have our biases and judge others who don't fit in our thinking.

I sometimes shame obsessive dog lovers who think that their dog is somehow above other humans and worse, compare parenting with having pet.

At same time I know that what they do, doesn't affect me directly. Doesn't stop me from having opinion about their behaviour

• We should constantly be calling each other out for things we don't believe in. Confrontation is how we progress as a society.

Most Helpful Guys

• I agree, man. I've said this for quite some time, shame has a purpose. It helps us know when we are doing something bad. It allows us to call out bad behavior.

But like you said, shaming people for things beyond their control is not cool. And shaming someone for making an honest mistake isn't warranted either, it's when that mistake is done regularly and without worry that it should be shamed.

• Good Job of differentiating between Things People should be shamed for and Things they shouldn't be.

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 11

• No judgements are for God and shaming or insulting someone is weak. what's that helping? Other then hurting someone?
    And person who is being cruel needs a life obviously if they are that worried about someone online

• What if promiscuous people have a sex-addiction?
    Do mental illnesses and the ways they manifest exist in your book? They are all not in full control of their behaviours or do people choose to be addicts?

• I think thats a dangerous attitude. The fact is that its a slippery slope both ways down. Shaming things you disagree with is never preferable to having a well reasoned argument against it.

Free speech is one thing, you're free to call people freaks and whores and abominations all you want, and people are free to shut you out and exclude you if they dont like it. When i read this i see a guy who's mad that people haven't reacted the way you want when you shame them, and now you're frustrated that no one wants to talk to you.

All i can say is meh, get over it snowflake. You want to take the stance of perpetual condemnation, dont whine or play the victim card when it blows up in your face.

• You are right that wherever people have no control on something they shouldn't be shamed about it but if someone is doing which is endangering their own or others benifits, goods then yes but even then i believe they should go through a gentle and polite way so they can return back to normal life instead of getting more stern with their wrong doings as a reply to being shamed but ofcourse if something serious is tgere like rape, stealing, child abuse then they should be dealt with very very strict laws

• Wow that's a lot to take in

• Nice take

• Interesting take

• Good take

• Typical behaviours of chauvinists from Germany, Usa and Uk

• Nobody should shame anybody

• Shall we use your Take as a "license to shame" justification?

What Guys Said 31

• We should shame people who hurt others. Not people whose decisions about their own health or body we disagree with.

But I agree that shame isn't always bad. We shame rapists every day and we absolutely should. People who hurt others should be ashamed of themselves.

But we shouldn't use shame to try to control how people decide to treat themselves or behave with others in a consenting and safe way. For example, slut-shaming or fat-shaming or addict-shaming is all wrong and even if it wasn't, it's totally ineffective.

The trick is, what is "socially acceptable" and what is "wrong" aren't always the same thing. Being gay wasn't socially acceptable for the longest time, and honestly it still isn't in many places, but shaming someone for being gay was NEVER okay.

Basically, you shouldn't shame someone unless their behavior is hurting other people in a way they are responsible for.

Keep your different opinion about any issue you want; I respect it. But shaming someone for disagreeing with you or for behaving privately in a way you don't like is still wrong.

Shame people only for things that are truly evil.

• This! MHO right here!

• @englisc I mean that shame is a reinforcement mechanism; it works best when the party involved actually believes that what they have done is wrong. That logic totally falls apart under any rational scrutiny when the moral code that's been violated doesn't involve actually hurting anyone or doing anything that the shamed person believes is wrong.

• @englisc Nuance, memorize the definition of that word. Every situation is unique and if your going to make the most moral decision you can, you have to view everything in its own light and context.

• 6d

I agree in a certain context and I also strongly agree in another context.

See I believe that everyone should have their rights completely protected in the private sphere. What they do in the comfort of their own homes, as long as its legal should be no one else's business. And shaming them for what they do in the private sphere to me is tantamount to harassment.
    Lets take the logic in your question and push it as far as it goes. Now maybe your views are quite mild, and your view of a perfect society is quite reasonable. But I wouldn't encourage people to shame others because they disagree with their views.

So if someone's view of a perfect society is a society ruled by the harshest of sharia laws? Would you accept them shaming you because they disagree with every single aspect of your lifestyle? I think not. And yet they'd be doing exactly as you advocate, to them they'd be shaming you for your disgraceful behaviours to promote a better (or what they think is) a better society. I don't think that should be tolerated or widely accepted at all. I find that kind of thinking to be extremely detrimental to society.

That being said. I do believe this hardcore individualism is also detrimental to society as a whole. When I go back to my country, I see old people on the bus standing, and having trouble staying up with nobody offering them a seat.
    I find that to be pretty shameful.
    I see people acting with these 'me first' attitudes, just completely disrespecting everyone around them because in their mind there is no one else. The only person that matters in society is themselves.

So where I would agree with you in this is here:
    In the public sphere there are things that should be socially acceptable, there are things that shouldn't fall in the category of 'not my problem' or 'whatever their life their choice'.
    There are things that people should call out, and shame others for.
    Stuff like shitting all over police officers, teachers, agents of the state... Stuff like throwing your trash everywhere... Stuff like not letting people who have trouble walking/standing go first... Stuff like not helping someone who had an accident or not helping someone who is in need... Stuff like parents being shitty letting their kids be asshats to everyone in public transport etc... Very simple things but things that eventually snowball and make whole swathes of people into detestable human beings. That's where shaming should come in. In the public sphere

• if it just a misunderstand or 1 of silly goof you can understand,
    if it a constant then should say when do, how else going make world better place if the bad crap is ignored & good stands up to it to make a difference

• I feel that shaming is fine until the person showd genuine remorse. The point of shaming (for me) is to eradicate bad behaviour, not to punish it. After you see remorse, there is no point tormenting the person.

Of course some people can feign remorse. But that's another debate.

• The logic of your take is sound but who decides what is shameful - In your take and our comments we use extreme examples but that is where the debate goes - Take 2016 some say Trump voters should feel shame for voting for him while others would say it is Unamerican not to support him - There are many issues where the word "Shame" is bandied about and the accusation is not universally supported - It is an extension of my free speech/offence thoughts.

• I think you're looking for an excuse to exercise your judgement on people. There are things in society that's not acceptable, or criminal. Then there are behavioural standards that may not be yours. Judging or crying shame is being judgmental by your standards. Who gave you that right?

• No one gives us that right. We give ourselves that right by being citizens and hopefully not being morons. It's not about the "right" to shame. And 1) judging someone and 2) actually shaming them aren't the same thing. We ALL judge everyone all the time. Actually shaming them is different.

• Uh... okay man.

• @Anon-ymous1 Think we'll have to agree to differ on this.
      Good luck to you!.

• It is easier to shame who is weak mostly. For those who really deserve, they do deserve to be shamed, but I can tell most shames or judges are being wrong.

Sometimes, it is their life and they shouldn't be judged by others for what they've done. I am surely not talking about rapists or other sicks. They should be shamed to death.

• I think this is an interesting take with several points as food for thought.
    That being said, Shaming is kind of a "Grey Area". By this I mean, it is a case by case basis. opinions vary, Or as my late father would say,
    "Son, Opinions are like assholes, everybody has one."
    That being said, decide for yourself what you feel is acceptable or not.

• How do I know if I am right, or just a victim of opinion makers? I shame who ever I please when I feel the need (which is not too often); the remaining details can be settled during a discussion.

• We all just need to act like decent humans and bear our sins <3

• It is okay to shame those who are being a danger to others, and if they are loved ones, when they are being a danger to themselves. Otherwise Idc what people do.

• I'm pretty sure most online bullies would never be so face to face.

• You're absolutely correct. Shame them, call them out, push them to improve.

I CAN FEEL THE HUMAN SPIRIT RISING.

• I thought this was going to be about shaming people for things that actually *matter,* like obesity. Yet sadly you didn't mention that. In theory, I'm with you, but there are appropriate ways to shame and inappropriate ways-- "call them out," for example. Uhhh... how? What does that actually mean? And are you going to do it in person? Or online?

The thing is that you can tell someone what you've noticed about them that's negative without being a dick. Seeing a fat girl walking down the street and just randomly saying to her like "' 'Sup fattie," isn't going to help her actually change-- it'll just hurt her and people are more likely to stay in a cycle of negativity when that happens, rather than change. Is that the fault of just humanity in general? Yes, but it's something we ALL deal with: Knowing HOW we can better ourselves and not actually doing it because we're lazy.

• Not shaming but I rather they be called out on it.. it's more mature this way

• I can judge and shame whoever i want. And i should. If noone did them there would be chaos.

• You have to discipline bad people so that they no the difference between right and wrong

• shaming makes people smarter anyways so yeah SHAME THEM

• Can I get an Amen.

• Agreed

• More from Guys
    11