People Don’t Belong on Pedestals Because of Their Jobs

Let’s all please, please stop pretending that certain people are morally superior because of how they make their money. Some jobs just sound absolutely pure and perfect as concepts and it’s easy to believe that only a complete angel with the best of intentions would want them. Yet the moment you introduce actual human beings with thoughts and feelings and flaws and prejudices and doubts to make any idea a reality, it’s not going to be perfect anymore. Anything involving real people will inevitably develop problems.

Take the example of the police. The idea of police work is noble— fearless, dedicated people risking their lives every day to serve and protect their communities. The majority of police officers really do have that intention, I hope. However, we should also keep in mind that being an authority figure who gets to carry a gun around, access drugs, and act aggressively towards anyone deemed “suspicious” is also an attractive job to those who would seek to target certain groups or go on power trips. It’s a job for both do-gooders and truly awful people. The same goes for other occupations that are put on pedestals because the idea of the job sounds so pure.

Doctors are supposed to heal and comfort the injured and ill. They are also entrusted with access to valuable, powerful drugs and intimate parts of patients’ bodies, sometimes while patients are unconscious. Teachers are supposed to educate and nurture children. They also spend hours alone with other people’s kids who are told to obey all their instructions. Religious leaders are supposed to preach goodwill and lead their followers through times of hardship. They are also idealized as earthly messengers of gods’ wishes who would never do anything sinful. Soldiers are supposed to defend their countrymen and people in need around the globe. They are also trusted with deadly weapons around people who are typically looked down upon in isolated, lawless regions.

The potential for abuse and corruption is enormous in all of these fields, yet the concepts of the jobs are so selfless and innocent that the people who choose them are automatically viewed as such. They are not to be questioned, accused, or doubted because the idea of what they do is so inherently good. This kind of thinking, this refusal to acknowledge the full humanity of romanticized workers, is what leads to tragedy. People like Larry Nassar, William Calley, Jason Van Dyke, “Jeff Ivers”, and so many more were protected while their victims suffered because people are so reluctant to consider that anyone with a “good” job is capable of such cruelty. I’m not saying that’s the only cause of atrocities like those— there are plenty more I don’t have time for— but it is a significant factor. We need to stop pretending that a job title makes someone immune to natural human urges with the potential to ruin other people’s lives when they’re indulged. We need to stop assuming that someone is above reproach because the idea of their occupation is so wholesome.

By no means is this myTake saying we should treat anyone with automatic suspicion because their job is idealized. I believe that most of the people in these fields really do go to work every day wanting to do as much good as they can and make the world a better place. I am beyond grateful for those who choose to protect, educate, and lead their communities even when their salaries are low or they face opposition. I believe that the majority of these people mean well.

I’m writing this to encourage all of you to reconsider any blind loyalty or worship you may be guilty of when it comes to certain people. No one becomes faultless when they step into the office. No one completely sheds their darker impulses when they put on a uniform. We are all capable of extraordinary good and unspeakable evil. We all tell the truth sometimes and lie other times. We all put our loved ones first when we can or put ourselves first when we feel like it. We are all imperfect. Whether we’re called Doctor or Officer, Reverend or Captain, Mr. or Ms., we are all human.

2465

Most Helpful Guys

• totally disagree.

There are easy and hard ways to make money. Most all firemen could make more money doing something else. Or at the very least, make the same amount of money at a much lower risk job.

There is a bit of selflessness involved with these jobs because they are doing something for the greater good instead of selfish good.

Also, I gotta say, its a pretty rotten core you have to see praise someone else is getting, that you're not getting, and have a desire to knock them down.

• I think most of the people who sign up for that are being selfless. I’m criticizing people who assume someone could never be corrupt or malicious because of their job. Also, I don’t even have a job so it’s not like I think whatever I do is better than what other people do. I’m not asking for that praise to given to me instead.

• I would just add that it is despicable how the celebrity and sports figures are held to a higher standard and higher pedestal than any other profession. It's absolutely disgusting how these people in noble positions like doctor, police officers, and teachers alike are stuck in life with these low salaries and yet, if you star in a reality TV show doing nothing but acting stupid or, even better, if you can throw or catch a ball or throw it into a basket, etc, that you could make millions within a single year. Whereas all the people in these noble professions as aforementioned suffer with salaries that aren't even a quarter of theirs. I just find that sick

• I agree but it's completely the fault of sports and reality TV fans.

Watch robot wars or animated shows like Rick and Morty or black mirror not
      big sports games or idolizing shows like the Kardashians.

I never really understood the appeal of watching sports and I use to play some at an amature level (varsity rugby and county athletics) but never watch it. Us humans even the very fittest and fastest are so slow compared with vampires, robots , game characters with powers etc playing is fun for exercise and competition but it's dull to watch.

• Too true. This is absolutely an issue with celebrities and athletes.

Most Helpful Girls

• I wouldn't say police and fire fighters etc are considered morally superior but people tend to appreciate them more because their job demands a lot and can be life threatening. People who can get up every day and go to work knowing there's a likely chance they could be injured or killed deserves respect. Not everyone can handle that and these people are a very neccessary part of society.

• Exactly. Its a lot of stress when you do something that increases your chance to die.

• I’m not talking about having a healthy amount of respect or gratitude. I’m talking about the conviction that someone with a certain job shouldn’t be criticized because their job is so dangerous or important.

• Oh then no I dont agree with that

• Maybe not a pedestal, but some jobs are more respectable than others and they deserve respect. A lot of the most difficult jobs in this country are ridiculed by the same people who claim they would never do it because they can't. That includes teachers, vets, police officers, nurses, writers, bus drivers...

The problem is that society is tearing everyone down. Police officers are all pigs who kill blacks, teachers don't deserve a pay raise because teachers are stupid, nurses have horrible bedside manner and never do anything right, etc.

So a pedestal? No. But we do need to start respecting people who have difficult jobs because some jobs are truly a calling.

• I’m not saying we shouldn’t respect them, I’m saying we shouldn’t always believe they’re not capable of terrible things because of their jobs.

• No one doesn't believe they are not capable of doing horrible things, literally everyone suspects cops of being racist, Church workers are seen as fascists, The president is seen as a mad power hungry monster, Doctors are seen as greedy fucks, Firemen are seen as I don't know i have no bad stereo types for them aside from the occasional douche bag but point is all your doing is alienating the stupid

• I know. Your idea is guilty until proven innocent when it comes to someone's job title. I don't believe in 'worshiping' someone because of a job (and being realistic, maybe only military vets and police officers ever get that treatment these days).

I don't believe anyone thinks someone is faultless in a job just because of the title. The only exception I see is, again, military vets, police officers, and maybe the President, depending who is in there. But most people aren't going to love someone just because of what they do. I think it's the opposite. Most people hate people for what they do. You hardly hear anything nice about any job field that requires a bachelor's, especially in education because America just does not like teachers for some reason, and minimum wage workers are seen as lazy people with no ambition.

I'm just saying I don't see a point in your article because it's a little backwards.

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 63

• How appropriate that around Thanksgiving that you demonstrate the characteristic self-absorption and ingratitude that is so pervasive in the culture. Not for you any appreciation of those who run into the burning building to save others, or into withering gunfire.

Nope. Morals are in the classical sense connected to demonstrations of virtue. Courage, kindness, generosity. These things, as far back as the ancient Greeks, were attributes of moral superiority, of something that transcends man's base instincts and point to what Lincoln called "the better angels of our nature."

The individual who chooses such a career is not perfect, mind you, but certainly has taken a career path in which he or she is putting at risk their own security and comfort for the benefit of those who they do not even know. Yet, calling this a demonstration of superior more virtue is, you say, an illusion.

Try this thought experiment. Imagine a world of people sans such qualities that they should make such career choices. Then ask yourself how high your "take it for granted" quotient is and your sense of entitlement.

Moral, of course, does not mean perfect. This is your elementary error. The brave man may also be vain. Still, it does not follow that because they are imperfect, that they are not moral. That is a mistake that would not be made by any first year philosophy student.

Moreover, you make the second elementary mistake of arguing that the exception - Nasser, Calley, etc. - is the rule. You then extrapolate from there that the assumption of virtue by those who choose to live a life dedicated to the service to others is mistaken. Thus you toss aside with scarcely a though the concepts of due process and the presumption of innocence.

However, my hunch is that you are not a philosophy student. You are just, again however ironically appropriate on a holiday created to express gratitude, demonstrating the culture's high level of envy and resentment. The excellence of others is a rebuke to your own inadequacies. It is so much easier to demean the virtuous than it is to raise yourself to their standard.

You hide behind your own imperfections as an excuse to deny the existence of excellence in others. Forgetting that a society expresses its values in those it chooses to honor.

Your argument is replete with all sorts of philosophical and logical errors. Only a few of which I have touched on - or by pointing out the flaws in your thinking am I putting myself on a pedestal?

• My dad is a fire fighter.

I remember when watching the broadcast during 911, when the first level collapsed, my dad looked over to my mom and said "1500 firemen just died..." me and my family live in Chicago, so we weren't exactly first responders, but imagine being paid to save and evacuate people from collapsing buildings.

This is where I now need to ask a simple question.

Have you ever stood in front of a melted and amalgam

• *amalgamated dead body?

Have you ever had to live down the fact that you had to choose one person over the other to save in a fire due to there not being enough people to help.

If you haven't, then that's fine, the military jobs (like fireman, policeman, and national guard.) aren't for everyone, but you should at the very least respect the ones who perform such a dangerous task.

• Well I think you're mainly talking about policeman. But you are still held in a higher standard of the law, I don't agree with anyone who's like "lol you hate the military".

But keep in mind this wasn't directed specifically at you I'm usually talking to the opinions section with these.

• I see. I feel like this isn’t really an issue with firefighters like your dad though. Sure, they’re admired and some people might blindly worship them the way they do with the other professions I talked about, but I haven’t heard anything about corruption or scandals in fire departments. They do seem more trustworthy than other people who are idealized that way.

• I have never heard of anyone thinking they are morally superior simply because of their jobs.
    Now, it may be that you are actually morally inferior because of this ridiculous unrealistic rant... you have no concept of wanting to serve others as an occupation, because of your inferior status, but that’s your problem, don’t try to talk anyone into jumping into the gutter where you exist.

• First, reread the first sentence. Some people think other people are morally superior because the other people have certain jobs. Next, try to remember that you have no idea who I am or what I do when I’m not on this site. You don’t know what occupation I want, you don’t know what I care about that I haven’t posted, and you don’t know me.

• @votevotevote- nod do you know me, you don’t know that I was a first responder for 15 years as a firefighter in California. I have personally saved thousands of trees, untold number of homes, and I personally rescued an old lady and saved her life. I am personally offended by your outright ignorance , of anything about which you speak.
      Sorry but in my opinion, your entire thesis is flawed. You over reached this time. but it’s ok, learn from this, accept the criticism, your young, and smart, you’ll do better next time.
      My best advice is stick with topics you know, this was well outside your knowledge.

• A lot of those jobs you listed are difficult and demanding jobs and in some case dangerous too and people that do those jobs sacrifice quite a bit in their own lives to do what they do and most do what they do with good intentions to help other people, but I agree with you that some people seem to idealize the people in those professions and forget that, like you say, they are still humans like the rest of us with the imperfections that come along with that.

They still make mistakes, they still sometimes have moral failures, they still feel the same emotions and impulses that all humans feel. It's certainly reasonable to respect people in those jobs for how challenging their work is and how much they're sacrificing in order to do it and provide a valuable service to others, but I think it's unreasonable to think that they're somehow superior people that are incapable of doing wrong. As the individual people you've listed and many others have shown, some are quite capable of doing things that are very wrong and honestly I don't think anyone should be surprised by that because they're humans first with the good and bad that comes with that.

• True, it doesn't make them morally superior and there are definitely bad apples in every field. And yes plenty of dick head cops, but fact of the matter is cops, firefighters, and military put their lives as stake for the help of the community literally. They might not be nicer than the rest of people, but they have a bravery that others don't. And if it's something any moral person would do, then everybody would be doing it. There's a selflessness to it. People don't because it's dangerous and weight their lives and the risks taking that comes with it. So there is an element of putting others lives ahead of theirs. And let's not forget about other jobs where workers may not save lives in their duty or fight crime. But they risk their lives to provide. The guy's fixing electricity poles during a storm so people can have power. That's a dangerous job and rough. Coal miners, etc too. Thankless jobs that we take for granted, but many sure as hell would not want to do, but very crucial and important and are dangerous jobs too as well.

• Sorry, but I have more respect for people who put their lives and health on the line for others (minus the corrupt few) than for people who polish their couches (or their parents' couches) with their asses.

• I’m not saying those people aren’t worthy of respect. I’m saying it’s not right to immediately discount any criticism about a person because their job is romanticized.

• But that’s not what you wrote, I never got that, I got an extremely out of touch youngster trying to pretend to be intellectual, but ended up doing the opposite... but it’s all part of growing up,,,

• Just wondering, how many jobs have you had? Any?
      I thought so.. how can you have a take on something you know nothing about?

• Some occupations/professions deserve to be held in high regard by the community, and it is reasonable that the people who hold those positions attain some degree of respect. Yes people are fallible and the potential for abuse of power or trust is there. But that does not take away from the fact that there are some occupations that are noble or benevolent. A nurse may receive monetary compensation for their time and skill. But when a nurse goes the extra mile to ensure the comfort or well being of a very sick or injured person then they are doing something good and adding value to the community. Just because the potential for abuse is there does not make the profession less noble. Just because they are paid for the job does not mean that paramedics, nurses or disability workers don't do a difficult, thankless yet very important job.
    By contrast there are jobs like litigation lawyers, bankers, politicians or journalists who make their living manipulating people, lying and practicing greed and selfishness. Most celebrities actually contribute very little of real value to the community, especially in terms of improving and maintaining the quality of life of others. What about porn stars or porn movie directors?
    It takes a person with certain qualities and usually an interest in their community and helping others to take a job in a caring profession, emergency service or community service role. In doing so they know they will make less money than the banker or predatory real estate developer. There are professional standards committees and statutory regulation agencies that oversee the work of police, health professionals etc. This ensures ethical and legal standards are maintained, because, as I acknowledged, people are fallible.
    But yes, some jobs are more noble than others. Some professions are more benevolent than others. Some jobs require better quality people than others. Those jobs and the people who do them are deserving of more respect.

• You are a self-centered idiot. Without police, will you protect yourself? They put themselves in harms way for the good of the community they live in. They have long hours and for the most part is underpaid for putting their lives on the line for the likes of you. Especially now since the Progressives had put a target on their backs and if they do fire a gun or have an appearance of impropriety the Leftist send out a linch-party for them and their famines. BLUE LIVES MATTER!!! The police officer’s wife and children and parents live every day in fear that their husband (wife)/father/son/daughter will not come home tonight because some drug-crazed lunatic killed them in the line of duty or some leftist maniac decided to kill people indiscriminately.
    Now doctors work various hours depending on the doctor, but all must have exorbitant insurance costs in case someone makes a mistake. The doctors I have know care about me as a person though I am one of 1000’s. They emphasize with my fears and worries. They have concern for us and our issues whether they are life threating or not. The ones I know are at work some days at 5am and get home at 10pm. Now these hours are not every day, but enough during the week. I bet you complain when you have to work 5 minutes overtime. Their family also take a toll, the doctor is not there for the child’s special events. The wife/husband is left alone to run the house, being both father and mother. Luckily unlike the police officer’s wife (husband) and children they don’t live every day in fear that their husband (wife)/father will not come home tonight because drug-crazed lunatic killed them in the line of duty.
    You sir are a piece of work I hope you never have to personally find out how much you need or public servants: nurses, paramedics, firefighters, police, military, doctors, etc.

• Calling somebody an idiot first thing means you surrender your debate and you lost. See "slander is the tool of the loser" Blue Lives Matter ONLY became a thing AFTER black lives matter and it's a complete ripoff as a RE-ACTION, not actually caring about cops, because, if people CARED so much about cops, Blue Lives Matter would have been into being LONG ago as cops deserved respect since the BEGINNING, not just after some movement took place! (Im not too into either but both have their own points) Now please as expected, mock me, act condescending, insult me, and try to scare me away from talking. Heads up, it won't work, too predictable AND by doing so, you'll be doing what I see the right accuse the left of so often. I don't lean much either way, so you can't get me politicly.

• People should not be blindly loyal.

I think what you may not be appreciating is that the perpetuating of this story about noble selfless police, for instance, isn’t just about how we see the police, but how about police see themselves and about what sort of people want to become police and what kind of standard we want police to aim for, and what we expect them to feel about their behaviour when they do risk themselves. That’s important in society.

One trend that’s been unfortunate I would say in particular with the police in the US is the increased militarization and shift to police for instance shooting threats pretty quickly. It’s interesting that in court we think it’s okay for police to shoot in self defense because someone reached for something or wove a random object around. Meanwhile young soldiers get sent on deployments and told they can’t shoot unless they are literally under fire. Why are we so much less careful with our own citizens?

I think the truth is we want the police to be willing to put themselves at risk, by avoiding violence unless necessary even when doing so puts themselves at risk.

It’s wanting soldiers or police to willingly take on risks like that that necessitates the cultural praise of those behaviours.

• What will you do for a living? If we assume that all are as corrupt as you suspect, we need to shut down.

• It is not worship, it is being thankful that they are there doing it for others. It is scary as hell some of these jobs so respect that and show so appreciation. There are always some bad apples though.

• I’m not saying we shouldn’t be grateful for what the thousands of “good apples” do, I’m saying it’s not fair to think people with a specific job would never do anything wrong because of the good aspects of their work. It’s like how no one wants to believe that a babysitter would molest a kid because they’re supposed to take care of kids and there are so many of them who do just that.

• come to Romania, they arrest everyone. we should implement that to a global level, just to be safe and protect society from potential corruption in such fields (as above)

leaving sad reality of Romania aside, it does take special people for certain jobs and it's something to be grateful for that these people use their capabilities to the good of the full society.
    that there's bad apples, will not stop me from eating apples.

• I think plumbers are pretty noble.

Plumbers still make housecalls, doctors haven't done that in centuries.

Without plumbers, all the doctors and lawyers and whoever else you think is so noble, they would all be shitting behind bushes just like an animal if it wasn't for plumbers.

• I think everyone should be treated with equal respect unless and until they give you a reason not to respect them. Everyone is an individual. You don't deserve any extra respect for being part of any group because you are still an individual within that group with your own individual strengths and flaws.

• I honestly think occupational status says a lot about an individual. If you're a firefighter or law enforcement officer/deputy, then my hats off to you. If you're a doctor, I have a lot of respect to you. Fellow engineers, we fucking earned it. I respect these occupations a lot more so than a 30 year old McDonald's cashier.

• Some people ARE morally superior because of how they make their money, and we DO owe them a debt of gratitude. A fireman could have just flipped burgers, but instead he runs into flaming building and risks his life to save others. What he gives back for what he gets is greater. Likewise, some people are morally inferior because of how they make their money. A human trafficker who kidnaps kids is just doing his job... but he makes they world worse for it.

• Generally people with those sort of jobs are better people though.. Not everyone.. but Generally...

Ultimately, Every human on this planet is just a disgusting vile putrid sack of shit. And were all utterly terrible in our own way. But, Id argue the people in those sort of careers are slightly less disgusting then the rest of us.

• Morally superior, no, but we should still recognize that they're underpaid relative to the hours they work and/or the dangers they face on the job.

• which is pretty ironic considering they're public servants and everyone always bitches about taxes... teachers get underpaid... someone should pay them, but i'll be damned if uncle sam takes another penny out of my gross income!!! :/

• It is fascinating that people even worry about this stuff. My job in the military was that of a sniper, I literally got paid to kill people. It is funny how this perceived power and authority over others vanishes once you are dead. High ranking officer, bang, not anymore.

• Opportunities should be equal but outcomes are not. Certain outcomes will inevitably elicit more accolades than others and should. We are all human but that is where equality ends. Some of us will simply do and be better than others. Jonas Salk. Frederick Douglass. Mother Theresa. It is, has always been and always will be the way of the world.

• They actually do. The doctors who saves your life from disease? They deserve it. The firemen who risks their lives to save you from death? They deserve it. The teachers who tries to give you a future? They deserve it. The scientists who fight for a better tomorrow? They deserve it.

These people sacrificed their lives to a good cause. To help others. They studied when you had parties. They worked when you had a sleep.

Those people deserve it.

• "Let’s all please, please stop pretending that certain people are morally superior because of how they make their money. Some jobs just sound absolutely pure and perfect as concepts and it’s easy to believe that only a complete angel with the best of intentions would want them."

1. Read the first two lines, as above. Immediately noticed the fallacy.
    2. Thought to myself: "The person who wrote this simply cannot be above 20 years of age."
    3. Checked Profile of writer.
    4. Felt Disappointment at being right.

• From what I’ve noticed, people on pedestals are mostly busts already. If that’s insufficient than they also seem beheaded which I think is a grand tradition, if they believe they should be on pedestals.

• In the real world people take occupation very seriously. If you are doing work considered valuable or difficult then you get more respect. This the world we live in. A doctor is afforded ore respectability than someone who draws obscene cartoon imagery for a living

• I think everyone should've already known that. When I graduated from basic training I was getting thank you for your service left and right, and I have never felt like such a piece of shit in my life. I graduated from BASIC training, wasn't even close to being deployed.

• Nope, what job you have is not as important as what you do with the job. If you are corrupt or take pleasure in bending the rules because you can, there is no respect in that. You could be a firefighter, a very noble job, but if if you are bad at your job then we shouldn't automatically give respect. There are certain jobs that never deserve respect I suppose, like a hit-man.

• Sorry but considering how little they're paid and how much they risk, they certainly deserve more praise than most other jobs.

• Well, I would say a DOCTOR deserves a little more respect than someone who works in fast food... one job took years of hard work to even get, hundreds of thousands in College fees and well, it's much more serious and stressful...

• Not everyone can become a doctor. Yes, it takes a lot of hours in school but it also takes luck to to be the sort of person able to get through medical school. I respect everyone who gets out of bed and goes to work to perform a service for me.

• If you want the ultimate power trip, then become a judge. Not only do you get power that most people can only fantasise about, you also get paid north of £100,000. Just waiting for them to let judges carry guns...

Simples...

• I agree. They belong on pedestals because of their character. Granted, we must remember that even the best of us are flawed every now and then. We should NEVER expect perfection, BUT we should strive for it - even if we'll never reach it.

• Show more from Guys
    33

What Girls Said 22

• Well, it takes a special mindset to be able to deal with sick people, being calm (tying to) in a crisis - run takes danger instead of away. So if you wouldn’t do something like that or lack experience in that department you wouldn’t fully understand. It’s not that they are prideful or pompous- they have a will to help people in a bigger capacity - daily

• I don’t have a problem with first responders and the other people I talked about when they do their jobs correctly and don’t abuse their power— I’m sure the vast majority are compassionate, hard-working people who would never take advantage of their positions. I know I couldn’t handle their jobs. I have a problem with people who ignore or vilify anyone who criticizes people with those occupations because they assume that having a certain job means you’re totally selfless and would do no wrong.

• Yes you do get good and bad in every profession, but I’d still rather choose a paramedic who gets satisfaction from caring for people and saving lives over a baileff day, where many brake the law and violate vulnerable people - I think you have to be a certain type of person to do certain jobs. I do believe people’s work does say a little something about them.

• People who risk their lives to save others ought to be respected, period.

That doesn't mean that other jobs aren't important or worthy of appreciation and respect; without janitors, we'll be living in a dumpster for example.

Plus, not everyone is willing to be a fireman for instance.

• My opinion (esp. with military) is that they knew what they were getting into when they signed up. If they expect a pat on the back, not getting it from me. Sorry if that’s offensive, but again—they KNEW what they were getting into. Am I thankful? Hell yes!!! Am I willing to worship them for “sacrificing”? Nope.

• Those who do public service should be held in higher standing. Who will you go to when you are in trouble and need help? You probably have not experienced that yet and do not appreciate their worth.

• Thank you, everyone damn sure needed this, especially with all the ass Kissing from bluelivesmatter people. People are so biased that they don't want to believe the people they support do shitty things

• Nice take honey
    And every job is a job and should be respected equally unless they involve some danger and stuff

• Until you are willing to put your life on the line... you should respect police officers.

• It seems you're not really pointing out something people don't already know. And this whole thing goes both ways - there are plenty of people who will automatically distrust and disrespect someone who are in a "powerful" job position. Who will spit in the face of a profession that in some cases requires you to actively ignore your survival instincts, put your own life in danger in favor of someone else, and withstand extremely taxing situations emotionally, mentally, and sometimes physically.

I'm a little disappointed by how you seem to go from one angle and not really look at the "full picture" of both sides.
    Should we blindly worship anyone who has a certain title? No.
    Should we blindly distrust anyone who has that same title? NO.

In the end, yes, these professions are ADMIRABLE, and worthy of respect. Even if there will obviously be a few individuals within those professions who are rotten eggs.

• I agree, tired of treating people like they're king and queens because they save people... smh

• Some people have a vocation and should be respected but its always important to reserve judgement.

• :v i respect people who are fire fighters for being fire fighter but not because they are cool people but because they put their lives on the line to save others.

You going around an saying this is like saying "Fuck all fire fighters" its not blind loyalty its the same regardless of the matter, "Your father is a hero, he served his country in the war, He beat me every night" <- unrelated to the job, He has respect for what he did as a soldier if he did good but that respect is easily lost if he were to say fuck up badly and do something stupid. Also your like "Don't put people on a pedestal" but you ignore that mothers are the worst case of this as being a mother is a full time job with no pay.

People who are mainly put on a pedestal are mothers, I've seen much worse people with average jobs than with extreme jobs, Its not the jobs its the people. :l so this entire post is pointless in my opinion i feel like its just to rally people to dislike cops even more.

• Just so everyone knows, I didn’t add those stock photos. A lot of you seem to think I’m targeting firefighters in particular and that was not my intention. By job I mean official, paid position so motherhood is not included. This myTake is specifically about jobs that tend to be glamorized and while there are plenty of terrible people with “average jobs”, that’s irrelevant to this conversation. You say “Its not the jobs its the people.” That’s the point I’m making— no one is automatically perfect because of their line of work. Read the last paragraph. As for your last point, please tell me where I demonized police officers. I wrote about them the most because they seem to be the most common example of what I’m talking about and discussions about police accountability have been in the news a lot for the past few years, so it’s easier for people to connect to my example.

• my feelings are not hurt i've just ran out of humor from breaking down your factless logic x'D

• Glad to hear it and have a good night! I’ll just give you some parting advice. If you love Donald Trump that much, I think it would really impress him if you acted like an American and spoke English. Properly.

• You should never put someone on a pedestal doesn't matter what.

• Absolumente, become a victim of wolf in sheep's clothing real quick.

• Couldn't have said it better myself.

• Nice take

• AGree

• Good take.

• True mytake

• Okay

• Good take