Does 11.11 Singles' Day meant to disrespect Remembrance Day?

11.11 Singles’ Day

11.11 Single’s Day is started in China, it “is a shopping holiday popular among young Chinese people that celebrate their pride in being single.”

“The holiday has become the largest offline and online shopping day in the world. . .” bigger than Black Friday and Cyber Monday combined.

The data in 2015 for comparison
The data in 2015 for comparison

“Chinese Singles' Day, or Bachelors' Day, originated at Nanjing University in 1993. Singles' Day celebrations spread to several other universities in Nanjing during the 1990s."

"The holiday was named "Singles' Day" because its date, 11/11 (November 11), consists of four "ones," representing four singles.”

Does 11.11 Singles Day meant to disrespect Remembrance Day?

The Origin of 11.11 Singles’ Day

“There are several ideas explaining the creation of the Singles' Day festival. The most widely accepted idea is that the holiday grew out of Nanjing University's dorm culture.

Nanjing University
Nanjing University

"One origin story is that in 1993, four male students of Nanjing University's Mingcaowuzhu ("All single men") dorm discussed how they could break away from the monotony of being single and agreed that November 11 would be a day of events and celebrations in honor of being single."

"These activities spread through the university and eventually made their way into wider society. The spread increased with social media use, and the event has become increasingly popular within contemporary Chinese culture and society.”

“Singles' Day serves as an occasion for single people to meet and for parties to be organized."

"The holiday was initially only celebrated by young men, hence the initial name "Bachelors' Day." However, it is now widely celebrated by both sexes. "Blind date" parties are popular on this day, in an attempt to alter the single status of the participants."

"Some universities organize special programs to gather singles together for the celebration. Singles may take on an annoyed or self-deprecating attitude in response to remaining single as a university student, but university initiatives have helped curb that negativity.”

How it spreads outside China

“Singles' Day has since been popularized through the internet and is now observed at several places outside of China as well. The holiday has particularly grown in Southeast Asia. . ." through heavy promotions on southeast Asian's Lazada marketplace.

That is how I come to know about Singles’ Day with Singles' Day sale being held annually by my favourite Southeast Asian based online stores such as fashionvalet.com and zalora.com. The 11.11 day does not have greater meaning for me and people in my country apart from getting the sale deal.

Do we celebrate Singles' Day at all in Brunei? No, we don't.

What do I think of the day? It is The Day to checkout my cart.

This year Alibaba broke its Singles' Day record with more than USD$38 billion in sales (https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-11-11/singles-day-alibaba-china-shopping-trade-war-us/11691620). The shopping glitz hosted a number of celebrities, including Taylor Swift and Asian pop icon GEM, to generate buzz at Alibaba's Singles Day event.

Taylor Swift performs at Alibabas Singles Day event
Taylor Swift performs at Alibaba's Singles' Day event

11.11 in USA, UK and parts of Europe

USA – 11.11 is Public Holiday for Veterans’ Day or Remembrance Day

@OlderAndWiser

“In the US, November 11 is Veterans' Day, which honors the Armistice that ended World War I on November 11, 1918, and which later was modified to honor all veterans who have served our country. I believe that Armistice Day is observed in at least some of the European countries. . .”

When I wonder if Veterans’ Day is recognized as a public holiday, he explained:

“The federal government declares that it is a holiday for all federal government employees. Banks all follow the federal holiday schedule. Each individual state determines what holidays are observed by state government. To the best of my knowledge, Veterans Day is observed by every state. State schools, courts, state government offices are all closed. Each county of every state can determine which holidays to observe. Some local governments do not observe Veterans Day as a holiday.

With our schools, state laws require that students attend so many days per year In Florida, it is 180 days per year. A school calendar is set in advance. That calendar can be disrupted when schools are closed because of hurricanes, snow storms, and other events which make it impractical to open schools. Then the school must find extra days for students to attend to make up the regularly scheduled days when the school was closed. Sometimes, holidays are used for make up days.”

@midnightmoon05 also added:

yes, the parade is happening now in my city.
Its a pretty big deal.

UK – 11.11 is Armistice Day

@Edanurus:

“. . .11/11 is armistice day in the UK. . .”.

It is not a public holiday but they observe the day by:

“. . .we had 2 minutes silence but still [go to] worked. It signifies the end of WW1 at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month fighting ceased. So we have 2 minutes silence to remember those that gave their lives.”

Belgium – 11.11 is a Public Holiday for Armistice Day

@esotericstory:

“For Belgium 11.11 is armistice day from WWI.”
“. . .Every year there is an armistice ceremony at the Grave of the Unknown Soldier.”

Image provided by @esotericstory in his opinion

11.11 is the start of the Karneval in Germany

“Carnival season kicks off in Germany on the eleventh day of the eleventh month of the year (November 11) at exactly 11.11am, though this day is marked by little festivities. The reason for this is not known for certain, but a theory suggests that this may have something to do with the fact that 11 is considered to be närrische Zahl (foolish number).”

@andreasderjuengere

"Germany ("rhineland" area): On 11.11. at 11.11 a. m. the 'Fool's Carnival' season begins.”

How they celebrate the day is:

“Usually you dress up in costumes (think of Halloween, but leaving away the Pumpkin-and-Spirits details) and enjoy to do all sorts of silly things in public. Officially it starts 11th November at 11:11am and continues in a quite low-key way for about three months before the 'Crazy Days' which climax on 'Rosenmontag', the 42nd day before Easter - with large parades in the major towns. Carnival season is traditionally seen as a chance for people to go wild and 'have fun'.”

As I could not find any answer with my own search about the historical background of the German’s karneval, he also confirmed:

“Honestly, I don't know the full background. It is Christian motivated - the time before Easter fasting was used to 'fill up' through (almost) gluttony - could we call this 'anti-fasting? - and symbolically displayed evil and sins... this tuned in to the Fasting period which then thematically focused on the opposite. The costumes and parades turned up a lot later. Initially 'the Fool' stood for the weakness of humans versus evil. But 'the Freedom of the Fool' also was used to vent feelings towards 'the authorities'. Nowadays this all went much into the background and was replaced by more... worldly... enjoyment.”

They mock political figures on the day too... I chose not to include the images I found as many users may find them very offensive.

Anything to add?

I don’t know about Australia though? Does 11.11 also have a significance to you?

Those from other countries I did not mention here, feel free to add an opinion on the meaning of 11.11 to your country.

If any of you feel the information on here inaccurate, kindly leave your opinion to correct that mistake.

In Conclusion

When I first posted the question on 11.11 Singles' Day, I was unaware of Veterans' Day, Remembrance Day and Armistice Day which fall on the same day. It was not my intention to offend anyone, for me 11.11 only means the biggest sale deal I could get online.

How do you find the German's Karneval though? I'd like to assume they are in no way trying to offend those observing Armistice Day.

I’m going to end this MyTake with an opinion from a user which I find very fitting:

@Magicstar

“11 angelically, represents transmutation of self to a greater spiritual awareness. Seeing 1111 in it's various forms is to signify that you are on your spiritually guided correct path. Most who see 1111 often, have mastered themselves as humans, and to others around them, may seem a bit quirky. They often are working towards an inner drive to make a mark in the world by improving it in some form. Weather their impact helps one or many, they have been successful. Often, their world is filled with true friends that are grateful for them. 11 is mastery of spiritual tasks. Although it has taken on many definitions, all of which accurate, many fail to see the connection of mastery to their belief system. Singles Day, Veterans Day, or spiritual awareness, whatever 11 means to the observer, will continue to lead them to greater purpose and meaning.”

Thank you for those who responded respectfully in the question and inform me what 11.11 means to you. I enjoy learning from all of you and thank you for making my time on g@g enjoyable!

23
8

Most Helpful Girls

• Jazz3
    I don’t think it has anything to do with Remembrance day or any of that. Let people have their celebrations its not like The USA, UK, German or any of these other countries commemorate the lost people of China. I live in the UK and yes at 11am whether you are at work, school, University, library or public transport or even your car it is announced and we have a 2 minutes silence before continuing with our day. I have much respect for this and no one is stopped from shopping before or after. You can also do other things to remember the lost soldiers. China is just trying to make money and better their country does not mean they are trying to stop Remembrance day thats up to the countries that have that, it is not China’s problem. Just like China’s problems are not ours. Like why are first world countries always trying to be at the top and get their feelings hurt over simple things no one is out to get you let people have their celebrations.
    Is this still revelant?
  • BrittBratt2416
    People celebrate thing differently were they live. In the USA, Christmas is celebrated as a day as gift giving, being thankful, spending time with family and friends, and has a religious meaning for Catholics. In Japan it's consider a romantic day even though they have white day as their valentines day. There are certain days that will mean differently around the world to everyone. For example, maybe your birthday is probably a day you celebrate and happy about it but that could be the day that marked for something disastrous elsewhere. So you can't be upset about how people celebrate days differently.
    Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Guys

• tartaarsaus
    I live in an area where Carnival is really big (I never celebrate it) and the Netherlands did nothing in WW1 except zapping some Belgians and offering refuge to the German Emperor.

11/11 is carnival time in the entire south of the Netherlands, where you’ll see lots of people dressed up in public spaces. It is when they choose the prince of carnival.

Also, if one honestly thinks that an event on the other side of the world happens to be on the same day as a rememberance day in one country is offensive, they should stop whining about it. Not everyone conforms to what your nation likes to do
    Is this still revelant?
    • shimmeryns

I thought the carneval is only being celebrated by Germany, Austria and Switzerland. Is it also known as the carnival is Netherland? Or does it have different name?

• It is really big in only the southern part of the Netherlands, and it is just called Carnival

• shimmeryns

I'm curious, why you never celebrate it? It sounds like something I'd be interested to participate due to the festivity.

• Janncis
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

621
  • OlderAndWiser
    The Chinese certainly have reason to be bitter about World War I and its conclusion. Despite the enormous contribution of labor in non-combatant roles, Japan received much greater recognition for its role in supplying combat troops. Most importantly, the Treaty of Versailles recognized Japan's right to control the Shandong Province. China certainly has the motive to promote an event disrespectful of the Armistice.
    • shimmeryns

Does that mean the German's Karneval has hidden motive too?

• Germany would have a motive to disrespect the Armistice, but I believe that the celebration of Karneval predates WW I.

• shimmeryns

The karneval is also being celebrated big in Switzerland, Austria and Netherland too?

I also don't think the Chinese even aware of Remembrance Day.

• The world doesn't revolve around America and their holidays. And Veteran's day is actually supposed to be on a Monday. So it's just a coincidence that this year it was on 11/11.
  • xCherryKizz
    To each culture their own celebration. Their 11.11 has nothing to do with rembrance day, learn to take things with a light heart. Yes it is a good way to earn money for the commercial companies but to me personally even though im a chinese from singapore, it didn't mean anything. Valentines or singles day is just another ordinary day. I tell my boyfriend i love him everyday too
  • sarojhd
    Alibaba sales include, offline sales and online sales through Alibab and AliExpress app. They also own Daraz Online which rune on 7 different countries. So, I think they have a better chance at revenue than Black Friday. Also Daraz runs in poor countries and Black Friday is a new concept for those countries hence runs for around a week of fake deals.
  • MajesticTwelve
    Inconsiderate, sure, given the history of the western contribution to freeing China during World War 2, but not surprising given that China is a largely hostile nation these days.
    Personally, I care only so long as we celebrate our veterans on veterans day, if the world doesn't wish to, that's their choice, as long as our respect for our fallen never falters.
    • shimmeryns

Even after I explained how the Singles' Day come about - still it is being inconsiderate to WW1 remembrance in country where they don't have remembrance day for WW1?

The big Karneval (Fool's Carnival) season celebrated by Germany, Austria, Switzerland and northern Netherland on 11.11 at the exact 11:11 am then also should be inconsiderate?

• Nice mytake! I was unaware of single's day. Many singles joke that Valentine's Day is Singles Awareness Day as well.
    Thanks anks for the information. I don't necessarily think it's meant to disrespect our Veteran's holiday.
  • Christmas_is_Good
    I think that it's not really offensive at all. Like example in the United States we celebrate holidays that other countries don't celebrate which is totally fine. And the same goes the other way around. So it's not really disrespectful for people who live in china to celebrate a national holiday during a day of remembering of those who served in a different country.
  • I doubt China did it for that reason. It is probably just a coincidence.
    • shimmeryns

A lot of people think so in my previous question. After knowing the origin of Singles' Day and the meaning of 11.11 to the Chinese - there are people who still think it was done deliberately and being inconsiderate.

• Nice mytake. Great to have my opinion from your question included!
    • shimmeryns

Thank you! I enjoy reading your opinion as they can be very informative. it's nice to have different perspective from another country :)

• Walrus_au
    In Australia, 11.11 is kept as remembrance day (armistice or veterans day)

Is it laid out to be disrespectful? Maybe, maybe not. But that is the end result.

"Lest we forget."
    The 1 day a year set aside to remember, being replaced or usurped by a shopping holiday? How is that not actively trying to forget?

I mean, I know america is blahzay about war and violent deaths/ loss of life. But that is ridiculous.
    • It’s not being replaced. These are holidays occurring in entirely different countries, independent of each other. Singles Day is celebrated in China, not in the US. Veteran’s Day isn’t being “usurped.”

• Walrus_au

@CarpetDenim So you are not suggesting other countries take up the singles day shopping holiday? Cause it really sounded like you were.

• I have no idea how it sounded like I was saying that. But, if a country doesn’t already have a serious, national holiday on 11/11 then I don’t think it matters if they want to adopt Singles Day.

• seth900
    I think its done on purpose look Christmas for thousand of years had a christian meaning birth of Jesus it was replaces by Santa Claus and buying gifts ( stuff you dont need) Easter was Jesus death and Resurection day , but it was replaced by Easter bunnies and gifts again, Day to honor dead people in Europe was replaced by Halloween.. So i think its all done on purpose to push away old European and Christian values. Practicly to erase who we are.
  • JSmuve
    I wouldn't expect China to have any respect for the west. World war one was a European war so it wouldn't make sense for China to give a shit about it.

I would also like to add Canada to your list of forgotten countries because we made a pretty large contribution to both world wars even though the fight was on the other side of the Atlantic. Remembrance day is a pretty big deal here. We observe a moment of silence at 11am and a lot of people wear poppies for the two weeks prior to November 11.
    • shimmeryns

I wouldn't say forgotten, I don't remember Canadian responding to the question I posted earlier. The countries listed above are all from opinions of those who responded.

• JSmuve

Well, I responded earlier.

• shimmeryns

If you did, I must have overlooked.

• Someguynamedbob
    If it came from China it was probably very much intended to disrespect veterans in country’s like the USA and Canada that celebrate Remembrance Day, those commie Chinese are always up to something
  • Magicstar
    What amazing research to present on a site like this! Great job! Great contributions from everyone and all! I have shown this to some co-workers and friends today! They are blown away!
    • shimmeryns

I don't think it's that good to be honest haha! But thank you!

• nathanp97
    It isn't ment as disrespect. It started in a country that doesn't have remembrance day. If it started in countries with remembrance day than it would be.
    • shimmeryns

I agree.

Many of those who responded in my question seem to think I am disrespecting their Remembrance Day.

I do not force 11.11 Singles' Day idea to anyone. They can have Singles' Day in other date they may find more suitable.

• MrMilti
    Do you expect everyone on earth to have the same holidays as America?
    Your holidays mean nothing to me and I guess, Asians think the same.
  • KristaGrym
    It's capitalism bullshit to make people buying more single or not so they don't make an statement they have created another day to spend money
  • andreasderjuengere
    Where Jack Ma is involved, it's always a little more than just 10$'s :D
    Here in Thailand Singles' Day went almost unnoticed: The 'Loy Krathong' Festival (Buddhist) coincides.
    As for the Germans: 'we' do remember and honour the dead of the war (s) as much as anyone else. The public holiday is called 'Volkstrauertag' (National Mourning Day) and is held two Sundays before 1st of Advent (17th Nov. this year) The 'theme' is more like 'thoughtful' and 'regretful' - to be proud about 'heroes' and 'veterans' and military 'achievements' had been brainwashed out of 'us' after the second world war.
    There is no reason for pride about a war anyway - so ok with me.
    Each culture has its own reasons to celebrate, or remember, or not, certain events in their history. 'Disrespect' can only be assumed when it happens purposely.
    • I was about to mention Loy Krathong Festival too. Well, the festival is not set on the exact same date every year on a regular calendar. It is on a full-moon day of the twelfth lunar month.

• Eleni94
    It’s remembered day here in Greece students get off have parades.
  • ForteExe
    @idonthaveausername you'd find this interesting
    • Quite interesting. The Single's Day celebrations are probably great for the countries in Asia with controlled birth rates. They have an unfortunate side effect of single adults

Of course I knew Veteran's Day was holiday, but never do much for it anyway

German Karnival reminds me of Mardis Gras (I think that's in January)

I don't think countries celebrating it differently is insensitive. Everyone has a different way of showing grief, so l forms of celebrating 11.11 should be respected as well

• ForteExe

Agreed. And with a finite number of days in the year and a continuously increasing number of holidays it's unavoidable that certain holidays will overlap.

• shimmeryns

@Idonthaveausername thank you for your contribution! I remember watching a documentary about left over men in China. With such a big gap of gender imbalance it is expected by the year 2020, there will be 30 million more men than woman looking for partner.

• Wow thats pretty stupid. What a waste
    • shimmeryns

You are probably on the wrong topic of g@g. I think you will find more intelligent stuff for you on Sexual Behaviour and Sexuality topic.

• Every country has a right to their sovereignty.
  • My money went to Alibaba and taobao !! 😂😂
  • yulbsari
    Wow! What a great idea!!!
  • Wildmanjohn
    It's all about keeping us spending money
  • You're a Republican aren't you
  • malik25
    Nice take