Unemployability: Involuntarily Unemployed, the Incels of the Job Market.

Robertcw

There are some people who apply to many jobs, but nobody wants to hire them. They can be in this state long term, say over a year.

They're unemployed, but they want to work but nobody they've applied to wants to hire them anyway. They're involuntarily unemployed.

Let's talk about it.

Since we live in a capitalistic society, ownership of the means of production is owned by individual business owners. These individuals not only own all products made by their business, they also own the very labour itself which means they get to decide who is allowed to work and who is not. This is how it's possible for someone to want to work, but also have no job anyway.

In these circumstances, individuals are not able to collect any form of payment because there's nothing they can do in exchange for money unless they produce a product on their own ownership and convince other people to spend their own money on that product. Which is unlikely if they have no money to start with.

If they are a woman, the probability of being able to get by on offering sex to men is highly likely. It's a way out for women that does not exist for men. Last I checked, I highly doubt an unemployed man would be able to solicit sex in exchange for money as a means of survival from women but if I'm wrong about that, that would be fantastic.

With that alternative out of the way, we wind up with unemployable individuals. Those rejected by all business owners. Aka, the incels of the job market.

Current unemployment figures in the US are really low, around 4% in 2020. But those numbers do not count individuals who give up on job searching. So the number is probably a little higher. The reason the number does not include these people is because it is not a crime to choose not to work if you don't want to. Otherwise people would be forced to work, even if they already had lots of money.

So let's say real unemployment is 8%. I don't know for sure, but it doesn't sound too wrong off hand. Of those who are most likely to be involuntarily unemployed they probably fall into this category anyway, which means unemployment services probably don't take them into consideration seeing the low unemployment figure. This is clearly bad.

What's the solution? Well traditional economics says that a 0% unemployment figure is actually probably impossible. That's within a free market system.

The Socialist Solution: Anyone familiar with the Sanders campaign knows that Bernie's plan is to force a 0% unemployment figure via guaranteed jobs for all citizens funded by the federal government, or the Federal Jobs Guarantee, which guarantees 40 hour workweeks with pay of $15/hour. This ensures that no person makes less than $2,500/month at any given moment unless they prefer not to work in which case this plan does not force anyone who does not want a job to have one.

How this solves the problem.

Well, this takes all the unemployable people and gives them a job and an income that is high enough to pay rent on a one-bedroom appartment. Thereby solving the problem of unemployable people.

It seems like common sense, but there exist a somewhat large group of individuals who believe that such people do not deserve any income and thus deserve to die out. 🤷🏻

I mean, I'd prefer a more collectivistic outlook on society where we have basic safety nets for all citizens just because why not.

That's why I'm supporting Bernie Sanders for president in 2020. Seems like common sense to me, but I don't really understand the opposite viewpoint.

Yeah, that's all. Just saying these people are out there. And even if someone has a job, if they're getting few hours or low wages they're not that far away from spending like an unemployed person. And their quality of life is not much better, and that group is substantially larger than 4% or 8%.

3
11

Most Helpful Girls

• Employers often demand "recent relative experience" which instantly rules out the long-term unemployed. Many employers also take the attitude if no one else will employ you then there must be be something wrong. Any job advertised is likely to have dozens of people applying, since only one will be successful it's mathematically feasible that some will never be successful no matter how many jobs they apply for.
    Is this still revelant?
    • Robertcw

Yep.

• Easier to get a job when you have a job!!! Which is True and Makes Complete Sense!!! I mainly hire those who are currently Employed rarely Unemployed there isxa reason they are not working. Even if its because a company went out of business they probably had some warning but waited to start job search maybe decided to take a lengthy vacation or go for Unemployment the decision to not put your Resume out immediately speaks volumes about the individual, they are Cocky and think they'll have no trouble finding another job, well Surprise Surprise while you were Stroking your Ego your Colleagues were hitting the Pavement and getting another job!!!

• @Moonchild714 One of our best workers was unemployed for 7 months before she got the job. She started with us as a temp and was so good, everyone from management, to the staff were asking her to come back. She's now been at the company for almost 20 years and is a natural leader, great with dealing with problems, pretty much everything, and has saved the company money too.

Who knows, maybe you missed out on someone just like her!

• Moonchild714
    Unemployable also refers to Consistently Losing Jobs nit just Not getting Hired many who are Categorized as Unemployable keep getting Hired but also keep getting Fired!!!
    Is this still revelant?
    • Robertcw

Yes that can happen too. Either way they wind up unemployed.

• Thank you for MHO.

Most Helpful Guys

• J2ohhhhh
    This just takes way too much effort and not efficient or smart in any way. Andrew Yang has a vision. Due to robots and AI many people might lose their jobs. And the answer is not creating some bullshit jobs. Just give $$$ to people. So they could feel safe to do something they like and maybe become something useful.
    Is this still revelant?
    • Robertcw

Yang is my #2 choice. I just don't feel the freedom dividend will completely handle the problem.

• J2ohhhhh

There's this book I started to read, 'The best and the brightest'. It is basically about how much of a wankers people in power are. And all I tried to say is that Yang has reasons, while making the poor thrive on the cost of the richest is just a left wing wet dream and in that way doesn't have strategy or any positive long-term economical outlook behind it, just sounds good to campaign with among people who want to be nice.

• Dongtai
    At what point does the term “incel” become an excuse to not do what you “need” to do to get to where you want to be? This is an extremely irresponsible term.
    Is this still revelant?
    • Robertcw

I'm all ears if you want to elaborate.

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

19
  • Optymistyk
    Almost everyone can find a job. The exception is if you're not physically able or if you're a murderer. I've met a guy who murdered a policeman and he said nobody would hire him.

You can always work as an Amazon warehouseman, they don't have even require a CV and the pay is decent. Or if you're able enough you could join the army
  • SomeGUYonGAG
    Yes, this happened to me. Nobody would hire me because I had no experience. I spent a lot of years looking for work and fiiled out thousands of applications, but no luck. It lead me to nearly take my own life when I was 19, now me mental health has gotten so bad that I can't work a normal job. I'm in training to be a work at home medical biller, but the job isn't guaranteed since we're having ownership trouble with the company.
  • Avicenna
    You'd need to have sticks as well as carrots to make that work.
  • SuccessfulHornDog
    socialism has never worked in the history of the world but you think an old Communist like Sanders has the magical answers?
    • Robertcw

Not magical, common sense. And he just won Iowa so RIP.

• I would support you moving to Iowa and living in Bernie's basement

• Robertcw

That's actually creepy.

• lsjr16
    Even if your presently employed it still hard cause most jobs that are filled are by referrals
  • COMMODOREII
    It doesn't help being in a city that is a doldrum of opportunity.
  • Ziggystar
    That's where I'm at now is happening to me
  • ronaldo75
    We're now mocking people who can't find work?
    • HOAAH

I don't think that was the point. The point was he supports Bernie Sanders who wants 0% unemployment or for everyone to have a job that wants one

• ronaldo75

@HOAAH Incel isn't really the right word to use to describe people who simply have bad work histories and/or low skill levels that can't find work.

• HOAAH

Agreed, he should have wrote the unemployed and that's all.

• SecretGardenBlood65
    Good take
  • Anonymous
    Wow, you're a genius. An absolute genius. I'm sure this would solve all of our problems and would work fantastically. Why has no country ever tried this before?