UK/British Slang and Street Words for Dummies

baarkmann

Britain and England in general has seen a rise in colloquialism and borrowed words from various ethnic communities all over the world. Most notably is the Jamaican diaspora and Caribbean Africans that immigrated to England and major English cities in the 1950s and 60s.

Since then Jamaican and Caribbean people have influenced the popular music, fashion, food and culture of England. More importantly language has been assimilated into British slang, many cities in England such as London have a large Jamaican and African community. It's been found that the "cockney" and "eastend" accents are dying out and becoming what is now known as multi-cultural English.

This is is a dictionary for that...

1. Bun de Pagans

Literally means "fuck the haters". It comes from the Jamaican patois word "bun" which is derived from burn.

"Pagan" is a common word Jamaicans use to refer to unbelievers or anti-christian or atheists. But in it's colloquial sense it's used to refer to people against you or that dislike you.

It became a thing more recently in London.

2. Battyman/Battyboy

Battyman refers to a homosexual or bisexual man. The term comes from Jamaica and is derived from the patios word "batty" which is Jamaican for bottom or anus.

As you can see, it's obvious why it gets it's name from it.

4. Breadrin/bredda

Breadrin is a common name for friend or someone who is your pal.

5. Man

Man is used to describe oneself or to put yourself in a sentence, for e.g.

"Man need I eat"

Basically say's I'm hungry and need to eat.

6. Blud/Blood

This one really isn't from Jamaican language in a sense. I believe it came from America. Where there was blood and crips and gangs, you can dispute that if you want.

But it seems to be quite popular over here, especially in the poorer, more gang parts of London.

People say it in a friendly way, usually to a friend or some wannabe gangster like themselves.

7. Fam

Another one which I'm sure also came from America. This word may not be as popular in the States anymore.

But it's very popular in the U.K. People like using it every sentence and finish it at the end of every sentence, usually to a friend or someone they are talking to.

8. Bait

This one is not really Jamaican but I'll say it anyway. It refers to when once has done or said something that puts someone at risk or given something away.

If you didn't want someone to find something out, it's like a fish bait; you given away the bait to the fish.

9. Bruv

This one's more common in London than anywhere else. It's basically an English version of "Bro".

10. Geezer

My favourite of all, this one's a native English one and refers to a guy or acquaintance or someone you barely know.

11. Bud

Most yanks know it as "weed" "kush" or "marijuana". We prefer to call it bud or by it's proper scientific latin name, cannabis.

12. Bear/Bare/Ber

Americans will get confused by this one as they think we are referring to a actual bear.

When we say bare, we mean as in "a lot of", it's derived from Jamaican English and it's used to put a emphasis on something or say you had a lot of or quantity in something.

"I had Bare Girls last night, Gal dem love me"

7
2
7Girl Opinion
2Guy Opinion

Most Helpful Girl

• AshleyMD
    #4 is also Jamaican.
    I thought geezer just meant an old guy but I guess not.
    I've never head of bun de pagans it sounds like burn the pagans though.
    Is this still revelant?
    • baarkmann

No Geezer is anyone , male. mostly native English use that slang, but i dunoo about burn the pagans, i just hear a lot of youths saying it

• AshleyMD

I was just saying I didn't know that meaning I learned something.

• baarkmann

I'm not being rude, no your're right in a sense. i think originally back in the day like victorian times or something, governor or gov was a slang word for a authority figure or boss.
      and geezer was slang for a oldman, gradually it means now anyone really.

someone called me a geezer the other day lol

Most Helpful Guy

• stormbreaker06
    You guys have trouble pronouncing easy words. i know from experience.
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

61
  • Kaytiee
    Live In the UK, No one says those really.
    More like
    "Innit"
  • SpiderManFan2002
    Some of the slang up north is a little different, some the same. Don't use it though :P
  • pooper89
    Is Jamaican really a huge influence there? You forgot "init" and craic lol
    • Alexzktra

"Craic" is an Irish word..

• pooper89

i know but there was a British guy I used to talk to who used it a lot? I don't know

• BeMuse

1990s DnB Jungle scene...

• LovellFrmOBN3900
    The UK got the worst slang lol also their hip hop music trash
  • scorchedwater
    bloodclart!
  • Starburstsunlight
    I live in England---- I haven't heard these...
  • Ellie15
    wheres the stuff like chef, bun etc