DO NOT Buy the iPhone X

DO NOT Buy the iPhone X

Let's get this out of the way... DO NOT buy the iPhone X. That is, if all you want is a new smartphone. Because, as lots of other people pointed out, there are better choices out there that simply cost a lot less.

Lewis from UnboxTherapy said it all:

I spent some time with the iPhone X recently and I admit that the display is very impressive. That is, until you see the notch. I don't care how much people say and Apple claims it's a design feature, it's aesthetically unpleasing. But even that could be up for debate. What is not up for debate is that the notch hinders user experience. Plain and simple, it's bad design and unnaceptable to me.

DO NOT Buy the iPhone X

I feel that even though Samsung's solutions to achieve a good body-to-screen ratio on the Galaxy S8 an Note 8 aren't as impressive, they work out better in the end.

DO NOT Buy the iPhone X

The new gestures to navigate the UI on the iPhone X are... fine. They work and you kinda get used to them quickly. But they're still not as fast or intuitive. Having to swipe up on the screen every time you need to unlock your phone is just a little tedious. But hey, if you hit the power button on most Android phones that are not passcode-protected, it's the same gesture.

DO NOT Buy the iPhone X

And iOS 11 is quirky and buggy as usual. It seems to me that Apple completely lost its way when designing the UI here. There are diverging patterns and similar actions produce different results. My main gripe is the Notifications shade. It was bad on iOS 10 and they managed to make it worse on iOS 11. You can't tell if it's the lock screen or the Notifications shade you're seeing, most of the time.

DO NOT Buy the iPhone X

But even though you can buy a Samsung Galaxy S8 or a Google Pixel 2, similarly-sized phones (that have arguably better cameras) for a few hundred bucks less, or two of the excellent mid-range OnePlus 5T for the price of an iPhone X, it's still going to sell faster than Apple can make it. Because a purchase is not always rational and Apple is now a luxury brand. Like Rolls Royce, Prada or Rolex.

Which is a shame... I liked it better when it was a technology company.

1234
DiogoRibeiro is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Girl

• Don't gotta tell me twice. Samsung did it first, better, and cheaper.

Most Helpful Guy

• Hahaha, you tell me? I never had an iphone or any apple product, never even held one xD
    Of course I don't buy an overpriced product. I am more clever than that.
    Good on ya to link unbox therapy here ;D I saw that video. Good review.
    Hell, quite some phones (in 2015) outperform the iphones (7). and in some cases in certain ways even the iphone X but right now they brought up a bit of competition. A shot in their feet was that notch thingy but hey, apple fans don't care because they are apple fans, right?

• Yeah, the fans are always going to stick with whatever Apple throws at them. To be fair, that's how every fandom works. :)

• Hahaha probably 😆
      Buuut you know? What apple fans do is none of my business. It's just not for me to spend twice as much for the same hardware and approximately similar material quality. Besides many smartphones beat the iphones already.

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 11

• this is what i needed to know.
    saw an article in a men's magazine the other day stating the same thing and i hope to switch to samsung asap. i care about the camera most.

• Even though the iPhone X camera is an improvement compared to the iPhone 8, most reviewers are saying that Samsung and Pixel's cameras are still slightly ahead.

I do believe that if you care a lot about video, maybe the iPhone could be a better choice. Not sure.

• if you want a vivid camera go for the Pixel 2. if you are a photograph get the LG V30

• I wouldn't consider purchasing the iPhone X because it doesn't have the essentials that I prefer on a smartphone— no headphone jack and no fingerprint scanner.

• I don't know why anyone who pays rent or a mortgage would spend a thousand dollars on a phone. I would never spend that much on a phone that costs more then the rent I pay every month. I own an android and really don't want or use apple products at all.

If you want to waste that kind of money then it's your money. For me I have other things I'd rather spend my money on.

• I have the x and don’t know what you’re referring to by “notification shade”

• It's the screen you get when you swipe down from the top to see the notifications. ;)

• I’ve been using Apple phones since they first came out and only find they get more user friendly and intuitive. I’m still not sure what your issues with the notification screen are. I swipe down and all my notifications show up in order from m current to earlier as you scroll down. That’s get deeper into any particular notification just tap on it. Fred m the lock screen notifications will just come up as notification and the name of the app/news service, etc. but when I look st it, the facial recognition unlocks and shows the notification in detail. From settings you can adjust how you get the notifications to your liking. It seems like your biggest issue is that it’s just different than an androids setup.

• *From. Not Fred. Lol.

• I agree. I won't ever purchase it. I have an S5 and with my refund next year, I'll be purchasing a 6S Plus in cash. Android has become tedious for me and I'm switching back 2 Apple. Apple is indeed a luxury, one I will pay because I can afford to. Ty

• I saw a article that reporting there more iphone 7 sales then Iphone 8 or X sales. Good no one stupid enough to buy a $1000 phone

• I can't buy even i want to.

• Same here, to be honest. I live in Brazil and here it is even MORE expensive if you believe it. It's BRL 7,000, which, by today's exchange rates, means that it costs USD 2,110!!! :(

• Full Motorola User!

• I have an IPhone 7... and I am happy with that.

• Android for the win!!!

• im already starting to like you :P

• @Jok3r21 lol good, let's keep it that way 😉

• I have an iPhone 6S and I'm happy with it.

What Guys Said 33

• I'm not sure why everyone hates on the notch. I'm a fan of it, if I'm honest. Though Apple's implementation is pretty mediocre. Personally I stay away from their devices, I deal with phones on the daily on their devices are always a step behind. Though I noticed you mentioned the OnePlus 5T as a mid-range device, but it's far from that. The OnePlus 5T is one of the best phones on the market right now, the only thing mid-range is the price.

• I would say don't buy Apple products at all, they have never been worth the hefty price tag. When you buy an Apple product, you're paying for the name more than anything. Of course, this is common sense for anyone who knows anything about computers and other related tech.

• I was a Mac user for a long time. When I bought my last MacBook Pro, I paid USD 1300 for it.

That, to me, was a fair price for the product's value. It's built very well, OS X (well, now it's called macOS) is solid and more stable than Windows 10 and all in all, I was able to use it longer than I used any of the PC notebooks I have owned.

Now that it's priced at USD 1800, I wouldn't buy one again. I own a Razer Blade Stealth that, apart from the trackpad and Windows, is almost as good as the basic MacBook Pro and costs half the price.

• Any smartphone is good enough for most users these days, nevermind the flagships from companies. We're well beyond the point that a phone's spec matters and where it's value as a piece of jewelry is starting to matter.

The biggest new thing on a phone (that you can feel) this product cycle has been Razer's 120hz screen. Or perhaps LG V30's stunning audio output.

• Right. I own a Moto Z Play. Outstanding battery life, decent 1080p OLED screen, nearly stock Android, can't complain.

The camera is average, but gets pictures that are good enough for sharing and remembering nice moments.

• Very good post for sure.

As a matter of fact I know 4 different people who ran out and purchased this iPhone X and from what they told me it cost them over $1000.00 for it.

Ever since they have had them they have had nothing but problems and issues with it and regret they ever purchased it.

Fuck Apple as I can think of better things to do with $1000.00 for sure!!!

• 5 hours of sex with prostitutes is more appealing to me than getting an iPhone X.

• @Unit1 I have to agree with you on that as I would rather get loaded and laid 5 times rather than purchasing a crappy IPhone X.

• I wouldn't pay for sex, but USD 1000 is a good start towards a nice vacation somewhere. Or an amazing dinner in a fancy restaurant. I'd rather blow my money on experiences than on things. ;)

• I ordered a 5T, cheaper and way superior. Never liked iPhones, limited functionality and outrageous price. The build quality is top notch, but it's not enough.

• I think the price wasn't always outrageous. And there was point in the not so distant past when iOS really was more stable and useful than Android. Not anymore.

• I rather save that kind of money towards a new and better laptop instead. The ONLY way I will ever be willing to spend money on Apple products is if they ever finally announced they had make the decision to be part of the gaming industry and either make a new specialized line of gaming Macs either laptops or desktops, don't matter.

Or that they decide to create a new dedicated game console system to CHALLENGE Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, etc. AND begin to support all that Virtual Reality stuff. Until that day becomes a reality, I have decided to save my money towards other consumer electronics instead.

• Don´t buy X if you don´t have money. If you want the best of best, no matter the cost, buy it. But it will offer you just a little bit more than phones for 600-700USD. If you are fan of android, then you may and may not be impressed by any iphone, including X.

• I have the iPhone X and I really don’t have many complaints with it. The notch I’m fine with since I’d rather have a screen that goes to the edge than having no screen on the top corners. My only like true complaint is that for a phone that costs that much it should have quick charge charger in the box.

• I’m likely getting one as soon as they are in stock.

My whole family is completely wedded to iOS. I would need a huge incentive to move to android and that incentive doesn’t exist. Some of them require my help using iOS. There’s no chance in hell im going to support all of them on android.

So then it becomes which iPhone. The X beats the 8 for me. I was apprehensive about faceid but playing around has resolved that. I’m indifferent to the notch. The overall screen to size and the camera put it above the 8s to me. The fragility is a concern but at that price I will either get insurance through carrier or AppleCare (which I’ve had very good experiences with).

Are there people who buy iPhones for status? I guess? Nobody i know cares. The cost difference between them and top Samsung is inconsequential. Acting like phones are status items seems very odd to me.

I’ve heard good things about oneplus 5T. Seems great value.

• I completely understand the ecosystem problem. I miss iMessage and FaceTime. They're the best things in iOS and Apple's ecosystem, hands down.

But where I live most people switched to WhatsApp for messages anyway, so not a big deal there. I was the first of my family to go from an iPhone to Android and now we're split 50/50.

• When I say family I mean three kids on iPods using iMessage and family sharing. Wife on iOS. Parents use iOS and nothing but iMessage. In laws use nothing but iOS and iMessage. Sister uses iMessage. Literally every parent in a carpool I’m in has an iPhone and uses group iMessage. The majority of them don’t know any other message app. There are a couple parent spouses on Android in the carpool They’re just excluded from conversations and their iOS spouse speaks on their behalf.

I have friends using kik (I’ve used whatsapp and found it less convenient but can use it) but the vast majority of people I actually deal with are somehow all iOS.

If it got to a point where iOS phones -sucked- compared to android I’d consider switching. But I’d pretty much need to be wanting to buy three android phones plus multiple android tables plus begging a half dozen people to learn to use another app just for me. Sooooo not likely soon.

• I gotta buy it. I have too many clients that use it.

• Yeah, some times we just can't avoid it. As someone in tech, it would be interesting to have one available for testing and occasional use. But I don't have that much cash to spare. :)

• Never planned on getting it. Looks great, but I'm fine with my flagship Motorola. Besides, I'd choose the Samsung Galaxy over Apple's iPhone any day.

• I have a Motorola Moto Z Play. Love it. Nice 1080p OLED screen, near-stock Android, huge battery, Motorola's features like the display and gestures. Great phone for the price.

• I want the Samsung S10

• the notch on the screen and the removal of the home button (could of been a virtual home button even) that has been around for 10 years... makes no sense
    what monkeys at apple seriously

• $1000 for a phone? uh no.. rather spend that on a macbook pro or air.

• Yeah, I'd spend that money on a Mac. It's a much more sound purchase in my view. ;)

• Was laughed at by my boss when I bough the note 8, I've caught him comparing and he has that look on his face that best describes envy lol

We've always had this iphone/android argument..

• elizabethtayloraidsfoundation.org/.../...rt_v2.png

t4.ftcdn.net/.../...MdP5I5dgT4j4FnA1R2Ifl04Ny3.jpg

Read My Take.

IPhone X - One of the Best Smart Phone You Should Buy. ↗

Conflict may arise due to people having different perceptions. You, or the other person, saw things differently. Thanks for sharing. 😊

When we all think similar then No one is Thinking. 😊 Cooler heads prevail in even the most difficult conflicts.

🍎❤

• it´s refreshing to see that even the most diehard fanboys finally wake up and realize tha apple sells crap.

• Don't buy anything from Apple. Build PC, use Windows or Linux, have Android phone…

• Lets be honest here, most of you guys use smartphone for anything but its basic function, which is to call.

Everyone is busy texting, browsing websites, taking pictures, installing social apps etc.

Everyone wants the bigger and better version of it, people take pride in knowing they have the newest trend in the market, some take pride in by showing they can afford a pricey device, some who can't afford it find a replacement of it and say "look same functions, even better and low in price".

I have an iPhone 6 Plus, it runs perfectly fine, it has been 3 years since I bought it and apple is already out with iPhone 7, 8 and X. They continuously do updates to slow down your fine, so at one point you really do end up buying a new one.

Bottom line here is, the purchasing power is always in your hands, the industry can only lul you into the fantasy as long as you allow them to.

• I saw that youtube video and the guy makes some great points. As an engineer, I can confidently say that this phone is not worth the price. Apple is generally known to overprice their products in the tech world. They provide a very simplistic and aesthetic interface that appeals to the general public whilst android requires more of a learning curve that most people aren't willing to grasp. Apple is also amazing at marketing their stuff. Android is superior in almost every way and you're getting it at a cheaper price.

• Not one problem! I dont have a grand just lying around. Besides if I did, I wouldn't buy that piece of junk.

• More from Guys
    13