Visit The Island Of Ceylon: For Travel Enthusiasts

DarkBlack9

Visit The Island Of Ceylon : For Travel Enthusiasts

If you've read the book "Sinbad the Sailor", you may have come across the chapter where Sinbad visits an island called "Serendib". If you've seen the Ptolemy's world map, you may have wondered what the big island on the center was, which the Greeks called as "Taprobane". And now you'll know about that island. Sri Lanka or Ceylon is world famous for it's tea(Ceylon Tea), wildlife and for gems. One of the biggest misconceptions about Sri Lanka is that it is a part of India; no, SL is not a part of India, it is an independent country.

The island of Sri Lanka is situated in the Indian ocean and is also known as the "pearl of Indian ocean". Neighboring countries are India, Maldives and Bangladesh. The capital of Sri Lanka is Sri Jayawardenapura Kotte and Colombo is the commercial capital and the largest city of the country. It is a multiracial country including Sinhalese(majority), Tamils, Muslims, Burgher and Farsi. Religions include Buddhism, Christianity, Islam and Hinduism. Monetary unit is Sri Lankan rupee. Unlike some south Asian countries, SL is way cleaner and safe for tourists to spend time.

(Colombo city at night)

In the past many nationalities like Arabs, Greeks, South Indians, Malays etc. traded with Ceylon and the main exports were spices, pearls, gems and elephants. Later the island was captured by Portuguese, Dutch and British in order. On the 4th of February 1948 the country gained independence from the British.

This is a great place for the ones who love the beach and getting a tan skin; what do you like? The island offers you to do windsurfing, kayaking, yachting, water skiing, scuba diving or jut lazing around for the perfect tan. Tangalla, Beruwala, Mirissa, Bentota and Unawatun are the perfect beaches for tourists with varying options including chic boutique hotels, glowing coral reefs, gentle sandbars etc. If you're a surf enthusiast don't forget the beach of Arugam Bay.

(Unawatuna beach)

Something you should not forget when you come here is whale watching. The Southern seas are the best for whale watching and Mirissa beach is the perfect place for this activity. If you don't like whales, never mind you can go dolphin watching too.

The island has a long history with bandits, invaders, spice merchants, navigators and do you think the deep sea has nothing to tell you about those memories? The crystal clear waters of the Indian Ocean with a visibility of 20 meters (65ft) provide perfect conditions for diving. With wrecks as dated as the 18th Century dotting the seas, deep reefs and reef walls provide enthralling explorations for scuba divers. For the less adventurous on-shore coral reefs are ideal for snorkeling.

For the ones who are adventurous and love hiking on to the top of mounts, this is for you. When you visit the center of the island you get the hill country guarded by mountains and cold climate with tea cultivation everywhere accompanied by rivers, waterfalls and wildlife. The shadows of the clouds will shelter you. Visit the Knuckles Range in Matale where you can catch sight of rare birds and orchids along with spice cultivation. As the sun goes down and you reach the top of the mountains you'll be surrounded by thick mist with howling wind which whirls around you. To the far, the sight of the Knuckles Range will be lost as the mist begin to cover it.

Other places for those who love hilly areas are The Horton Plains, Kandy, Ohiya, Ella, Haputale and more. For those who want to see a picture of the Knuckles Range, here it is,

For wild life enthusiasts, you can visit Wasgamuwa, Yala National Park, Kumana Bird Sanctuary. You can snap some awesome pics of Asian elephants, sloth bear, leopards, sambar and wild buffaloes and rare birds. The rarest mammals of Sri Lanka are the red slender Loris, Toque Macaque, and Purple-faced Langur, who according to IUCN clarifications are endangered due to habitat loss.

Despite the great elephants and rare amphibians found in the country birds are the glory of the Sri Lanka’s wildlife. Nearly 433 bird species of which 233 are resident Sri Lanka holds 20 endemic species while another 80 species have developed distinct Sri Lankan races, compared to their cousins in Indian mainland. Although less known, Sri Lanka has one of the richest diversity of amphibians in the world, containing over 106 species of amphibians of over 90 of which are endemic. The country has long claimed to have the highest amphibian species density in the world with a high concentration in the Sinharaja rainforest, (another place you must not forget). The Sinharaja rainforest is a UNESCO world heritage.

And, to get the beautiful scenery of the landscapes from the skies , get a hot air balloon ride.

So guys, these were just a few things you can do in SL, and I'm willing to write the rest on another myTake. In the next myTake I'm hoping to cover some more topics. And I hope you guys enjoyed the myTake and will be willing to come here :) You can read about the Sri Lankan cuisine from this link - Sri Lankan Cuisine.

Don't forget to leave a comment!

4
3
4Girl Opinion
3Guy Opinion

Most Helpful Girl

• DeeDeeDeVour
    In the early 2000s, my boyfriend & I arrived in Bandaranaike International Airport near Colombo. It was supposed to be a brief lay-over flight but the aircraft had a technical issue which forced us off the plane. We were told the delay would take many hours. A tour company that was affiliated to the airline we flew took us on a very long and slow drive all the way to the southernmost point of the island called Dondra where a tall old lighthouse stood. Although the drive took so long, the scenery along the way was beautiful.

After visiting the lighthouse, we headed back for the airport only to be told that our aircraft had a serious technical problem. No other flight alternatives were available. The airline gave as discount vouchers to redeem at Pandanus Beach Resort which turned out to be a wonderful place to spend the night. There, we spent the rest of the day until the sun set on the beach where resort staff pampered us with delicious local treats and spa treatments. I woke up the next morning feeling so rejuvenated.

We left Sri Lanka feeling incomplete as we strongly felt a connection with the area and the citizens. Your myTake confirms that we truly missed out on a lot more the island nation has to offer. We will plan a return soon. Thanks.
    Like 2 People
    Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Guy

• Logorithim
    I've been to Sri Lanka- it's absolutely wonderful, and I highly recommend it.
    Like 2 People
    Is this still revelant?
    • Logorithim

The elephant orphanage was my favorite tourist site, but, really there is so much to see. The civil war was still going on when I was there so I wasn't able to visit the northern part of the island, but I've heard that it is incredibly beautiful.

• DarkBlack9

Now there's no war, so you can come here again.

• Logorithim

I'd love to, once I have a girlfriend to bring with me!

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

32
  • COCOCHANEL
    this was really fun to read
    i want to go there
    recently srilankan restaurants have been gaining popularity here in tokyo
    Like 1 Person
  • RolandCuthbert
    :)

Awesome "Take", Darkblack.
    Like 1 Person
  • cherryphi82
    Magnificent take! Makes me want to travel there.
    Like 1 Person
  • captainw0ww
    great job
  • Anonymous
    Sri Lanka is so beautiful. I'd like to visit it someday.
    Like 2 People