Sears, Kmart, and Macy's : The Downfall of Three American Retail Staples

When you see these three names you think American retail strengh. But, in the past couple days into the New Year Sears and Kmart have announced the closure of 150 stores plus the selloff of their iconic Craftsman tool brand to Stanley/ Black & Decker for nearly $1 Billion. Macys has also announced 68 store closings and 10,000 layoffs as well. How have we gotten to the point of longstanding retail giants closing? What has happened to these institutions? Here are two theories that I have about it.

1. Online Shopping has become cheaper and more convienient.

Online sites like Wish, Amazon, Wayfair, Ebay have made it easier and cheaper to buy and order products than a store. Another plus to online shopping is that there is free shipping in most cases on orders over usually $50. You can get the orders in a matter of days to hours now with faster shipping options including drones.

2. Many retailers are not wanting to pay employees higher wages.

A couple of years ago Walmart had announced that they were raising the minimum pay rate from $7.45 per hour to $9.00 per hour. With employees who have served longer making even into $13-$15 per hour. Recently fast food workers have been protesting for higher wages too. But, the retail and fast food industries have found ways to lessen their work force. They are now using Electronic Point of Sale machines. McDonalds has been testing out the kiosks in many major markets. Walmart, Target, Kroger, among many major retailers have also grown the number of self checkout machines in their stores. All of this in order to keep their employment costs low and save money.

I remember as a kid going into Kmart and getting pop corn and a cherry slushie from the snack bar looking the toy and electronic aisles. My grandparents went to Sears many times to get appliances, Tires, and clothes all on a Sears Credit Card. In the 1970s and 80s even into the 90s Kmart and Sears were the two most dominant American retail chains until Walmart came along. Even JCPenney has managed to make a great comeback. It's becoming more and more evident that Sears,Macys,Kmart, and Kohls will eventually join the other iconic brands like Montgomery Ward, Radio Shack, KB Toys, Blockbuster, Circut City, Funcoland, and others into non existance.

#RIPSears

#RIPKmart

1
5

Most Helpful Guy

• zagor
    A couple years ago I needed some new luggage. I thought I'd try Sears, since they need the business and gave me my first job when I was in HS. Their luggage was basically in a big pile, much of it covered with dust. I went elsewhere...

Yes, Amazon and Target and all that have made things tougher, but Sears has really been killed by terrible management.
    Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Girl

• 1truekhaleesi
    I haven't shopped at any of these places in a very long time. I prefer shopping elsewhere or online. If they don't switch up, people will forget about them.
    Is this still revelant?
    • I prefer online but as far as food I can go to walmart though I prefer not to

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

04
  • Happyme2017
    I remember Woolworth, Gimbals, Boston Store, Radio Shack (when they really sold radio parts, not cell phones) Allis Charmers tractors, Arthur Treacher's, International Harvesters Farmalland, Wisconsin Engine (at one time they were bigger then Briggs and Stratton), Whitlock Autoparts, Zenith, Curtis Matthias Tv's, AMC, Packard, Nash.

Who can remember these companies? Will K-mart, Sears and JC Penny's join them?
  • DonkeyRick69
    They happened here too with big stores raising wages but cutting hours, they don't even fire people they just fuck the around with few hours that are unsteady until they quit or find another job. Then there's the self serve tills and home delivery service. I think if this was France, Italy or Spain they would have taken sledge hammers to those self serve counters in McDonald's and bug stores.
  • legalboxers
    since I was a kid I always shopped at all 3. Back in the day there was a Pathmark next to a K-Mart. Always use to do my shopping. Even in Sears, everything when I was a baby was purchased from there.
  • John_Doesnt
    They died because their prices suck compared to Wal*Mart and Target. Also, because I stole some stuff.

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!