Operation Mockingbird - Another Reason to Not Trust the News?

Lucifer_666

The notion that the CIA is influencing media might sound crazy to some people. However, such a campaign really took place. It was called Operation Mockingbird and it officially started in the 1950's and ended in the 1970's.

The main goal of the operation was to recruit leading American journalists to help spread the CIA's views. The agency also worked to influence foreign media and political campaigns. The use of journalists was continued until 1973, when the program was scaled back.

The operation first gained exposure in 1964 when two journalists David Wise and Thomas Ross wrote about a book titled Invisible Government which detailed US coups in various countries. This obviously made the CIA furious and they even considered buying up the entire printing of the book. The CIA also tried to prevent the making of a documentary criticizing the CIA's activities, but their attempt of censorship failed.

The church committee investigated the CIA's activities and published a report in 1976. The report detailed the CIA's ties with foreign and domestic news media. The report concluded that: The CIA currently maintains a network of several hundred foreign individuals around the world who provide intelligence for the CIA and at times attempt to influence opinion through the use of covert propaganda. These individuals provide the CIA with direct access to a large number of newspapers and periodicals, scores of press services and news agencies, radio and television stations, commercial book publishers, and other foreign media outlets.

So who's to say that such an operation isn't taking place today?

Operation Mockingbird - another reason to not trust the news?

7
19

Most Helpful Guy

• Anonymous
    The Internet allows you to get news from many sources, but that too has been attacked by spreading crazy amounts of bullshit online. It's harder and harder to find reliable bs free news sources. Huffington Post started with that as its mission and has evolved into a clickbait site of infotainment.
    RT is a decent news network for non Russian news. When it comes to news about Putin and Russia, then RT is obviously biased and censored. Al Jazeera is very good but the name puts people off because they think it has something to do with Al Quaeda and terrorism. The BBC used to be the gold standard but under Blair they were pulled back in line. And of course The Guardian used to be well respected till they had their fallout with Glen Greenwald and changed editor.
    Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Girl

• SnowHearth
    I've never trusted the news.
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

618
  • OlderAndWiser
    Many young people blindly trust the government. Expect some cynicism and some hateful replies, but. . . you are right. The media should not be trusted. Journalism ethics is the oxymoron du jour!
  • Drapetomaniac
    Just heard a lecture on this now, freakishly and coincidentally. Anyone who believes otherwise is blind to the reality of what's happening in the press and news in society today. Important thing to be aware of this.
    • I think most of the time when people are confronted with this kind of information they have a knew jerk reaction and deny it

• Make a good point there. I guess denying it would somewhat alleviate the stress that this information gives them, or they purposely choose to not care, for the same reason.

• hellionthesagereborn
    Well the good news is that their was a law passed that prevented the CIA (and other spy agencies) from operating on native soil as well as preventing them from using propaganda on the American people. The bad news is the patriot act gave the CIA (and other spy agencies) the authority to operate on native soil and Obama just repealed the law that prevents the CIA (and other spy agencies) from using propaganda against the American populace. His final partying gift I guess. So, yeah its going to happen if it isn't already started. The good news is that in the information age their is so much data flow and information that the CIA won't be able to fully indoctrinate people as their is to much access to counter information and facts. Though if we ever lose our first amendment rights they will absolutely be able to control us just as China's government controls information in china and Russia in Russia and so on and so forth. The upside is Trump seems to be very much anti-intelligence agencies so he might be able to bring back those laws to prevent the CIA from having so much control (another fun thing the CIA did was MKULTRA).
  • levantine99
    life is more crazy than a conspiracy theory. most people are way too conditioned to accept that though... .
    • You're right. People should be more open minded

• Robin48

Open minded is fine. It what you are open mind abut. There are things which I will not be open minded about. Anything that conflict with God word. I not open-minded. People need to be careful with the open minded term. You may step into something you do not what to be apart of.

• @Robin48 I feel like you're a Christian. I'll just tell you that I have no intention of arguing with you about religion

• Phoenix98
    It's really not at all that crazy if your actually woken up and informed.
    • Phoenix98

Only the sheep find it hard to believe.

• @Phoenix98 Yeah, people who are close minded and refuse to believe anything their government tells them

• Phoenix98

Lol not necessarily.

• Robin48
    We need to be open-minded about our government. We have the right to not agree with the CIA and what it does. One of the things I have learn over the years is how people that have authority over you think they can do as they please. Well, they are wrong.
  • SovereignessofVamps
    I think the politics ruin everything all by themselves anyway.
  • skeptic002
    CIA
    FBI
    illuminate
    Vatican
    the Smithsonian cover up
    Rosicrucians
    the committee of 300

it's all leading down to a one world order
    then the Beast
    the devil setting up a throne
    then chaos
    then Jesus returns
    gets rid of him and there it's finally done

• jacquesvol
    So who's to say that such an operation isn't taking place today in favor of Trump?
  • Pyrofox
    Well if it got out the CIA were buying up the books wouldn't it just make the books that much more valulable?
  • tony1988
    I don't trust the CIA or any government agency. The government exists o serve the global elites (Rockefellers Rothchilds, Soros Buffet) and the Military Industrial Complex. Thank God we have Donald Trump.
  • Edymemelord
    You right homie.
    Wish more people saw this.
    • Thank you :) I wish too. I'll probably write more about the CIA's dirty activities

• You do that !

• unknownpoet
    makes no sense. it's not the 70s. there's internet and sharing information is free and widespread. even if you control the media information will still circulate. you can't hide the truth.
  • ΉOMO_乇尺乇CTU丂
    lol CIA has been doing these for decades now. CIA had always been a tool for American government in propaganda and most importantly regime/government changes in various countries worldwide and even arming Mujahadeens in the 80's..
    https://i.imgur.com/MRkshCj.png

media.salon.com/.../...reagan_meeting2-620x412.jpg

Furthermore CIA reporting bogus intel report about Iraq's WMD weapons that led to Invasion of Iraq with you Americans tax money spent doing bombing
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R30cbnkMG3s
    DESPICABLE
  • FatherJack
    I agree with this take , but it goes deeper still... those who REALLY run the show , the House of Rothschild & their Cartel , give the orders to the CIA. The " media " influences those that allow it to think for them , to fear & loathe other groups , one classic example is the contempt for & demonization of the human male in Western countries , by both the " media " & also feminist propaganda. Even my daughter at the age of 8 noted " Why are boys & men made to always look stupid & gross? " I was very proud of my astute little lady !!
  • John_Doesnt
    Let's not forget Russia's massive involvement in the current election.
    • Do you really believe that?

• The FBI, CIA and multiple Russias seem to think so.

• Okay, even if it is true what does that tell you about our elections that a foreign country can influence it? It's pretty pathetic

• gobsmacked3
    ' Official truths are often powerful illusions...' ( john Pilger )
  • YHL6965
    That's one of the many reasons why I hate the USA... "Freedom" they said, how ironic...
  • JamielovesKU
    It doesn't surprise me in the slightest...
  • Soniant
    "See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil."
  • front2back
    IT'S ALL A DISTRACTION
  • mrdave11
    im not even slightly surprised
  • Anonymous
    I'd be less concerned about the cia and more concerned by the outright lies, fear mongering, hate mongering and fake news coming from the right wing.