How to make yourself more appealing on Dating Apps: A guide for guys

I have been on quite a few dating apps in my days, but I haven't gotten so much attention as I have on the one I'm currently using, Badoo. I just started using it, but I have been through many profiles and gotten quite many likes. Something I have noticed about quite many guys are their profile (obviously) and to be honest i think I would "like" way more guys if they had a more appealing profiles.

So I have decided to write this myTake to guide some of you dating app users on how to make yourself more appealing to some women (or me).

So dont be:

1. The guy with no clothes

If a guy has more then one shirtless picture on his profile its automaticly an turnoff because he comes off as a guy that

a) is only after sex or
b) is full of himself.

Shirtless pictures are okay as long as its not the you taking the pic and if someone else took it of you, aka not a mirror selfie.

A little guidline for the guys that use dating apps and might not have so much luck

2. The guy with one pic

If a guy only has one pic of himself its a bad sign even of the guys looks cute. When someone only has one picture, and they are cute, I assume it's a good pic or angle and that they dont really look like that.

3. The guy with no face

The guy with no face is the guy that never shows his face in a way that makes it possible to really know what he looks like. He might have many pictures, but its eiter pictures where you only see halvfo his face or pictures where he is far away. It signals to me that he either has something to hide or that he is unattractive (and he knows it).

4. The anrgy guy or the indifferent guy

These guys only or mostly have picturs of themself where they either look anrgy or annoyed and/or indifferent. If a guy looks angry or looks like he doesn't care i automaticcly lose interest. who wants to chat with an angry guy?

5. The "one look guy"

This is the guy that has the same facial expression on pretty much every picture. Personally I like guys that show different settings and sides and/or facial expressions. It's just odd to look happy, excited etc in every picture.

6. The ladies man

When a guy has a pic of a girl in one or more pictures I automaticly lose interest. Why would you have a pic of another girl, even if its your sister? You want me to date you, not you friend or sister.

7. The smoker and the drinker

Guys who have pictures of themself smoking is a total turn off. Personally I hate smoking and it disgusts me. If a guy has pictures of him self at a bar/club or while he's drinking thats also kinda a turn off. Not because of the drinking itself, but on a profile you should use pictures that show people what you are and what you do, and not that you get wasted in the weekends. I'm not against drinking, I like to go out drinking, but I dont show that on my profile.

8. The dad

I'm young and I have no plans in having childeren in the future; so if a guy has a child in his pictures I always assume they are his kids. I dont want that responsibilty, so that would be a turn off for me.

9. The show off

This is the guy that lifts and bulks and want you to know it. He has at least two pictures of himself in the gym flexing. He REALLY want you to see his abs or bieceps. To me it signals that you eiter are trying to over compensate for something (in my experience the face) or that you are only there you show people how good you look, which makes me thing you aren't serious about anythig except your muscles.

So there you go! If a guy wants a higher chance of getting women attention when it comes to dating apps, or at least my attention.

So to sum up your profile should have more then 1 picture(preferably 3-4) and they should tell about whar you are about. If you play fotball, have a pic of that, if you like to go hiking, have a pic of that etc. And always have a full front pic of your face and some pic thats shows your body too. Also remember, smile ! :)

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 33

• The reason guys don't get interest is because on nearly all sites they outnumber the girls by at least 3 to 1, so there isn't a lot of incentive to take any of this advice. Guys mostly know it's a losing game for them, so why put in that much effort?

• I heard from various women that they get bombarded by messages from men on dating sites, and have problems keeping up with them all.

Investing lots of time in online dating is silly because my message may not even be read!

• Here's a great idea don't use dating websites and apps lol.

• lol.. but i have to.. i dont know where to meet guys :o

• Well the internet is not the place to do it.

• Make one and browse it occasion during down time... But people putting high priority in online dating in my opinion isn't time well spent.

• Not a helpful tip at all

Only suggestion should be to get plastic surgery to obtain male model like facial features. Since females believe 80% of men to be 'below average'

• The show-off being a turn-off? Hah girl I'd almost go gay for the guy in your example myself.

• How to make yourself more attractive for online (or any) dating: Say you're rich. Women are all about the dough. 'nuff said.

• Would a pic with some frame of reference showing how tall I am help? I'm 6'4".

• I'll never be able to attract you. How... sad?

• I thought that a guy couldn't possibly know that they're unattractive, plenty of women on gag have proclaimed that there's no way a guy can know that. Your take is rock hard evidence that looks matter the most despite plenty of women saying that personality and confidence matters. And why would a player ladies man change his pic when he continues to be way more successful than a average/below average looking guy with the type of pictures you claim can make them more appealing?

• Oooooh. Burn. Looks like women are just as shallow as men. :D Although, I do ultimately disagree. Looks are a factor which women look for, but, as opposed to men, it's not *as important* a factor. They calculate the total net worth (both in characteristics and actual wealth) to determine if they desire a male. Strength, social status, personality, intelligence, attractiveness, wealth, social circles, power, influence, humor etc . etc . Evolutionarily speaking, men want to fuck everything, and women want to find the most powerful or effective man they can find out of the 20,000 year old instinct for protection and provision.

Though, looks are definitely a factor. It probably differs from female to female more so than it does for males.

Funnily enough, an okcupid study found that women rated 80% of men unattractive. Women have high expectations because they have innate value being females and even more value for being able to provision themselves and having no real need for protection.

• I need to focus on my indifferent face it's my default face

• This just helps my own opinion, avoid dating shit sites. haha

• This'll hell like 5% on a good day. Google some dating experiments using male model pics, and you'll see that guys will get attention no matter what, if they are good looking. That's what really makes a difference on dating sites/apps.

• number 5 ahahahaha

• The Take is informative, no doubt.
    But dating sites/apps are pretty much useless for men, due to the skewed male/female ratio (lot more men than women using them).
    Only way men have a chance on dating sites/apps, is if they have outrageously good looks. Otherwise, women just won't notice them or respond.

• Would you be willing to make a "How to make yourself more appealing on Dating Apps: A guide for girls". I could easily rattled off several issues I would like addressed.

• Well I guess my angry pictures are a no no.

• Oh gosh, my angry pic is in the list ;_;

• Believe it or not guys have similar issues with the stuff you've described. For example, there is a huge amount of single mothers on these sites and they have pics with kids and on top of that. they rant in their profile about how their kid is their life and you have to accept them. It's a huge turnoff. I have heard of guys messaging for sex and all that and honestly when I see a girl ranting about that in her profile. I honestly just click away because it shows she's too irritated to get to know anyone. Plus a girl should have enough common sense to realize the perverts aren't reading the profiles and only message based on the photos.

I'm surprised you didn't mention anything about the guys who lie about their height. I hear that complain a lot. Guys have a similar issue with girls using face only photos to hide their weight.

• I have to admit, the first thing I do on a dating profile is look at her pics. I want to know what she looks like at various angles. The only face pics thing is such a sham and I don't bother reading the profile.

• @prof_don yup it pretty much means she is guaranteed to have weight packed on.

• What about guys wearing suites how's that?

• Suits will likely attract gold diggers because they'll feel you have lots of money.

• @Theguyoverthere thats the down point of a suit otherwise the ladies love a man in suit

• I've heard that before. I'd personally just wear casual clothes. I know a girl in person who is gold digging via these dating sites. She constantly brags about how guys are doing things like buying her a cell phone, giving her money, etc. It's a real shame.

• Great article. Love the pictures! Hilarious.

I especially related to the one about "Dads." Women often comment "My kids are my world!" I find myself thinking "Great, where do I fit in?"

There are two more categories I would add. "The Perfectionist." This is the person with a list of "deal-breakers" so long that they have ruled out virtually everyone on the planet.

Then there's "The Cloner" who says "I want someone just like me? Seriously? If I had someone just like me, they would find us dead with our hands around each other's throats!

• Funny, that was less advice, and more akin to a list of do not do this

• More from Guys
    13

What Girls Said 7

• even if i've never used any dating app i think its a great take!! a pic can tell a lot of things

• Hmmmm...
    Yes, some of these are true, some of these aren't.
    The thing is - if you wanted to keep this general, you should've. And if you wanted to make it about what you find appealing then you should've specified it's just what you would or wouldn't go for.
    You dislike dads, but maybe saying for what women dads would be good - as in a general overview.
    While in others you state generally...

A confusing take.

• I don't think pics of the guys being shirtless or the dad pics are a turn-off at all. Clearly, those guys with children want a woman that is going to appreciate his child and he's being honest about it. Kudos.

And anyone who assumes anything about a shirtless guy online would be what I consider a dumbass. That guy may have lost 80 lbs and is proud of his body and who he is. It doesn't mean that he's one of those who slut it up around town.

• OMG it's SUCH a turnoff when guys have pics of themselves with women hanging off of them. Like, are you TRYING to come off as a player or something?

• I agree with all except "the dad". Of course, that is me. If a guy is a dad, I don't want him to hide the fact. If he's hiding his kids then i think "what else is he hiding". You also don't want to meet up with a guy and then find out 6 dates down the road or after you figure out that you really like the guy that he has kids. Especially if kids are the deal breaker for you. I admire and actually have a little soft spot for guys who admit to their kids and say that his kids come with the package. That shows a man who takes pride in his family and that he will be putting the kids' best interests to the forefront. I don't like men who have kids, but barely interact with them or put women first.

• This article was kind of weird. Of course guys should do what they want. I guess these are good tips I've never used a dating app/website

• All of those points are directed towards the pictures of guys, but what about what they say? I don't think looks are all that should matter. In fact, if nobody was allowed to post pics, than we would all end up having more conversations and getting to know the real selfs of people. But I agree on some of your points. One thing I disagree on guys with children. Maybe you're too young, but maybe someone else wouldn't mind dating them. This point can have different opinions