How to make yourself more appealing on Dating Apps: A guide for guys

I have been on quite a few dating apps in my days, but I haven't gotten so much attention as I have on the one I'm currently using, Badoo. I just started using it, but I have been through many profiles and gotten quite many likes. Something I have noticed about quite many guys are their profile (obviously) and to be honest i think I would "like" way more guys if they had a more appealing profiles.

So I have decided to write this myTake to guide some of you dating app users on how to make yourself more appealing to some women (or me).

So dont be:

1. The guy with no clothes

If a guy has more then one shirtless picture on his profile its automaticly an turnoff because he comes off as a guy that

a) is only after sex or
b) is full of himself.

Shirtless pictures are okay as long as its not the you taking the pic and if someone else took it of you, aka not a mirror selfie.

A little guidline for the guys that use dating apps and might not have so much luck

2. The guy with one pic

If a guy only has one pic of himself its a bad sign even of the guys looks cute. When someone only has one picture, and they are cute, I assume it's a good pic or angle and that they dont really look like that.

3. The guy with no face

The guy with no face is the guy that never shows his face in a way that makes it possible to really know what he looks like. He might have many pictures, but its eiter pictures where you only see halvfo his face or pictures where he is far away. It signals to me that he either has something to hide or that he is unattractive (and he knows it).

4. The anrgy guy or the indifferent guy

These guys only or mostly have picturs of themself where they either look anrgy or annoyed and/or indifferent. If a guy looks angry or looks like he doesn't care i automaticcly lose interest. who wants to chat with an angry guy?

5. The "one look guy"

This is the guy that has the same facial expression on pretty much every picture. Personally I like guys that show different settings and sides and/or facial expressions. It's just odd to look happy, excited etc in every picture.

6. The ladies man

When a guy has a pic of a girl in one or more pictures I automaticly lose interest. Why would you have a pic of another girl, even if its your sister? You want me to date you, not you friend or sister.

7. The smoker and the drinker

Guys who have pictures of themself smoking is a total turn off. Personally I hate smoking and it disgusts me. If a guy has pictures of him self at a bar/club or while he's drinking thats also kinda a turn off. Not because of the drinking itself, but on a profile you should use pictures that show people what you are and what you do, and not that you get wasted in the weekends. I'm not against drinking, I like to go out drinking, but I dont show that on my profile.

8. The dad

I'm young and I have no plans in having childeren in the future; so if a guy has a child in his pictures I always assume they are his kids. I dont want that responsibilty, so that would be a turn off for me.

9. The show off

This is the guy that lifts and bulks and want you to know it. He has at least two pictures of himself in the gym flexing. He REALLY want you to see his abs or bieceps. To me it signals that you eiter are trying to over compensate for something (in my experience the face) or that you are only there you show people how good you look, which makes me thing you aren't serious about anythig except your muscles.

So there you go! If a guy wants a higher chance of getting women attention when it comes to dating apps, or at least my attention.

So to sum up your profile should have more then 1 picture(preferably 3-4) and they should tell about whar you are about. If you play fotball, have a pic of that, if you like to go hiking, have a pic of that etc. And always have a full front pic of your face and some pic thats shows your body too. Also remember, smile ! :)

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit
Sponsored

What Guys Said 33

• Women I avoid on dating sites:

1. The Duck Face. - I want to meet my future wife, not some low-IQ skank.

2. Bathroom mirror chick. - Have some class!

3. "My Muscles are Better-Toned-Than-Yours" chick. - Your soul is bankrupt, so I'm not interested.

4. The Million-Dollar Blonde. - She's usually a mean girl anyway.

5. The Incredible Bulk. - I know this sounds shallow. I know I don't deserve a supermodel. But I'm not looking for a 500 lb. gorilla either.

6. Satan's Daughter. - Are you really looking for a match made in Hell? Or are you just here to troll?

7. Pretentious BBW. - I don't care if you're purple. You're full of s*t. Next!

8. "Must Love Dogs/Cats/Etc., or you're all wrong for me" chick. - F* you.

9. "I'm intelligent, smart, and open-minded." - If you have to say you are, you probably aren't. If you attack me out of left field for something I say to someone else, especially nonsensically, you've proven yourself a liar.

10. "I'm wearing sunglasses and just wanna be friends" - She's a player. Not gonna happen.

• Believe it or not guys have similar issues with the stuff you've described. For example, there is a huge amount of single mothers on these sites and they have pics with kids and on top of that. they rant in their profile about how their kid is their life and you have to accept them. It's a huge turnoff. I have heard of guys messaging for sex and all that and honestly when I see a girl ranting about that in her profile. I honestly just click away because it shows she's too irritated to get to know anyone. Plus a girl should have enough common sense to realize the perverts aren't reading the profiles and only message based on the photos.

I'm surprised you didn't mention anything about the guys who lie about their height. I hear that complain a lot. Guys have a similar issue with girls using face only photos to hide their weight.

• I have to admit, the first thing I do on a dating profile is look at her pics. I want to know what she looks like at various angles. The only face pics thing is such a sham and I don't bother reading the profile.

• @prof_don yup it pretty much means she is guaranteed to have weight packed on.

• The Take is informative, no doubt.
    But dating sites/apps are pretty much useless for men, due to the skewed male/female ratio (lot more men than women using them).
    Only way men have a chance on dating sites/apps, is if they have outrageously good looks. Otherwise, women just won't notice them or respond.

• I violate the ladies man and the drinker one lol. I'm not even remotely close of being a ladies man, I just have a lot of female friends and I never take pictures myself and girls are always the ones taking pics so I just use the ones that they take of us.

• The reason guys don't get interest is because on nearly all sites they outnumber the girls by at least 3 to 1, so there isn't a lot of incentive to take any of this advice. Guys mostly know it's a losing game for them, so why put in that much effort?

• I heard from various women that they get bombarded by messages from men on dating sites, and have problems keeping up with them all.

Investing lots of time in online dating is silly because my message may not even be read!

• Great article. Love the pictures! Hilarious.

I especially related to the one about "Dads." Women often comment "My kids are my world!" I find myself thinking "Great, where do I fit in?"

There are two more categories I would add. "The Perfectionist." This is the person with a list of "deal-breakers" so long that they have ruled out virtually everyone on the planet.

Then there's "The Cloner" who says "I want someone just like me? Seriously? If I had someone just like me, they would find us dead with our hands around each other's throats!

• Some of your advice is directly contradicted by the stats.

Guys with abs who show them, get more replies.

Girls rate guys pics as the best looking when the guys are neither smiling nor looking at the camera.

And pics that show people's interests and not their face also do above average.

• Funny, that was less advice, and more akin to a list of do not do this

• You should give a tip on coming up with better opening lines, especially when the girl has a blank profile.

Luckily, I don't fit into any if the categories above.

The dad one goes both ways. I'd prefer if the girl didn't have a kid either.

• Oh gosh, my angry pic is in the list ;_;

• shit... I violate most of these rules on gag lol

• Next time, maybe devote some more space to the DOs lol...

• If I ever have to resort to dating apps I'll kill myself.

• Dating apps shouldn't be one's primary source for dating opportunity, but doesn't hurt at all to make one and browse it on occasion during down time.

• Here's a great idea don't use dating websites and apps lol.

• lol.. but i have to.. i dont know where to meet guys :o

• Well the internet is not the place to do it.

• Make one and browse it occasion during down time... But people putting high priority in online dating in my opinion isn't time well spent.

• I don't use dating apps since they are no hope for guys who aren't white, really light skinned, or black in some cases.

• I have noticed u in many questions. Why do u give so much importance to race?

• I agree with you 100%. I recently joined two dating sites and according to this post I didn't break any of the 9 tips, yet I notice how race makes all the difference in online dating sites.

• @Marttinez Exactly. Guys who break any of those 9 tips still have a far better shot at girls online if they are white, really light and maybe black at times than other races of guys who don't break any of the 9 tips. I was on quite a number of online dating sites few years ago and never broke any of the tips yet did not have one girl responding or messaging me even though I was using the sites consistently for 2 months.

• have you tried women? try going lesbian and then you dont have to worry about what guys put on their dating profiles

• I must say that 1, 2, 6 and 8 are also comes under women, how many times I HAVE SEEN women having a child in profile pics but when I went on their profiles it said that they doesn't have any children... That confuses fuck out of me. Also too many women which shows their big boobs aka their assets.

• How to make yourself more attractive for online (or any) dating: Say you're rich. Women are all about the dough. 'nuff said.

• I'll never be able to attract you. How... sad?

• I need to focus on my indifferent face it's my default face

• More from Guys
    13

What Girls Said 7

• I don't think pics of the guys being shirtless or the dad pics are a turn-off at all. Clearly, those guys with children want a woman that is going to appreciate his child and he's being honest about it. Kudos.

And anyone who assumes anything about a shirtless guy online would be what I consider a dumbass. That guy may have lost 80 lbs and is proud of his body and who he is. It doesn't mean that he's one of those who slut it up around town.

• even if i've never used any dating app i think its a great take!! a pic can tell a lot of things

• I agree with all except "the dad". Of course, that is me. If a guy is a dad, I don't want him to hide the fact. If he's hiding his kids then i think "what else is he hiding". You also don't want to meet up with a guy and then find out 6 dates down the road or after you figure out that you really like the guy that he has kids. Especially if kids are the deal breaker for you. I admire and actually have a little soft spot for guys who admit to their kids and say that his kids come with the package. That shows a man who takes pride in his family and that he will be putting the kids' best interests to the forefront. I don't like men who have kids, but barely interact with them or put women first.

• Hmmmm...
    Yes, some of these are true, some of these aren't.
    The thing is - if you wanted to keep this general, you should've. And if you wanted to make it about what you find appealing then you should've specified it's just what you would or wouldn't go for.
    You dislike dads, but maybe saying for what women dads would be good - as in a general overview.
    While in others you state generally...

A confusing take.

• OMG it's SUCH a turnoff when guys have pics of themselves with women hanging off of them. Like, are you TRYING to come off as a player or something?

• This article was kind of weird. Of course guys should do what they want. I guess these are good tips I've never used a dating app/website

• All of those points are directed towards the pictures of guys, but what about what they say? I don't think looks are all that should matter. In fact, if nobody was allowed to post pics, than we would all end up having more conversations and getting to know the real selfs of people. But I agree on some of your points. One thing I disagree on guys with children. Maybe you're too young, but maybe someone else wouldn't mind dating them. This point can have different opinions