7 Reasons You Should Date A Guy Who Lives At Home With His Parents

Are you dating a guy who still lives at home with his parents? Or are you thinking about it?

If everything about this guy is a check on your list for "boyfriend material" besides his current residence, don't panic just yet! Below are a couple of reasons why dating a guy who lives at home is NOT a deal breaker.

1. No Competition

A guy who still lives at home isn't exactly a hot commodity, so women won't necessarily be lining up to date him.

2. Clean Laundry

Chances are since his mom probably lends a hand with his laundry, he'll always smell like fabric softener instead of last week's sweaty attire.

3. Getting Caught Having Sex

The possibility of getting caught in the act is such an adrenaline rush. You'll have an adventure sneaking around trying to get it in.

4. Mom & Dad's Cooking

Whether or not she knows she is cooking for two, his mom will probably cook enough breakfast or dinner for you to chow down too! So forget all of the takeout and oven pizzas, you'll get a home cooked meal when you visit your boo.

5. Disposable Income

The money he's saving on rent he can use towards paying his student loans, moving in with you, a new car, a new endeavor, gifts for you, etc.

6. Family Man

If he's still living with his family, he probably cares for them deeply and is family oriented.

7. Meet The Parents

You get to meet the parents early and probably get to hear all of the cute stories and see all of the adorable baby pictures from his childhood.

Research has found nearly 30 percent of 25- to 34-year-olds are living at home. Don't be ashamed if you still live at home, the economy is rough! After reading this list, would you consider dating someone who lived at home?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 47

• I am dating someone who lives with his parents. No drawbacks as far as I'm concerned (considering he's my first boyfriend I've nothing to compare him to)

• I don't agree with all of the reasons on this, but I honestly could care less if a guy lived with his parents ( depending on the circumstances ). Unless he isn't working or trying to get a job and just bumming away and living for free just because he can then I wouldn't mind. You never know what's going on with a person. He may be in college or just got out and needs a place until he raises enough money for his own place or maybe he had an injury and couldn't work so he moved back home. His parents may even need someone to take care of them so he moved back to take care of them. You never know a person's story so it doesn't make since to just dis them because they are roommates with the people who raised them.

• You can make this kind of a list with just about anything...

10 reasons you would totally click with a stupid person

Five advantages of dating a grandpa

23 reasons being insecure is actually good for you

...

Doesn't mean it's actually good for you - none of it...
    But if a person doesn't have the money to live alone... or with a roommate, then he/she really doesn't have any other choice but to live with their parents. I understand that.

• Omg, so fucking funny, lol

• @Lonewolf_1296 Sounds like you're bitter for some reason... I was pretty supportive to people living at home. I live at home. Nothing wrong with that. A financial situation that doesn't allow a person to live on their own - what choice do they have?

Not condescending - logical.

• Are you done ranting?

• No. Just no. And the only time I was caught having sex was by my current boyfriends parents while he lived at home. He was military though and based overseas so didn't make sense. When he came home we moved in together... *shudder*

• nice take... but according to you a guy who still lives at his parents place is the ideal boyfriend material?

• This was funny! Thanks for the laugh! :p

• Unappealing.

I can respect a man who lives at home that's trying to better his future.
    But when you lay everything out like this it seems like a major turn off.
    Like he can't do anything by himself.

• Perhaps you just misunderstood?

• If he's doing these things by himself , as I already have stated I would have no problem with him living at home.
      If he always needs mommy's help then it's a turn off.
      That's all I have to say.

• That is actually much clearer, than your original post. Thank you for clarifying.

• Not gonna sell me ☹️🙁

• I'm too old to be dealing with that.

• At 27 years old?

I can understand if you were 35-40 years old... but in your 20's?

• Which may be why you're spending so much time on here. I lived with my folks for a while because I had a job where I was on the road 4-7 months of the year and didn't want to pay rent in the rather expensive area I lived just for a place to keep my stuff.

• It makes me think theydon't have the balls to leave the nest and live on their own.

• To be honest, if a guy is working on his career or skill and still living at home... that's actually a turn on. He probably has similar values to me. #3 though... lol hell no.

• I dated a guy Who lives With his family, he Was so sweet and cute, but the only problem has been That he didn't have his priorities in order.

• I am dating someone who still lives at home and with his parents. And yes all the points listed above are all true. My boyfriend and I are 33 years old and I kinda like that he's a family type guy. Yes his mom makes his lunch for work sometimes but for sure there's dinner prepared no doubt everyday. I used to be bothered by that before but then I realized it saves me time from having to prepare his meals and lunches to work anyway. Which is great! :P

• I wouldn't mind dating a guy who lived off parents ONLY if he was in the process in becoming independent himself such as going to college or saving up to get his own place. I would not want to date a guy who has no ambition to be on his own.

• Good MyTake, I like those reasons :D

• Nearly all my ex's and current bfs lived with their parents. doesn't really say anything about their character as it could be for a number of reasons
    like one was caring for his grandmother, the other 2 were saving to learn to drive and for other things as its just too expensive to move out so why judge them for that
    my current boyfriend lives at home as its tol expensive to move out on minimum wage and wants to learn to drive and i get on with his family great because of it making it easier for us and he can afford to treat me when we decide we should go out so why would it affect a person as its them your with not their living situation

• Aw you regretting your life choices and excessive use of the internet and gaming? Can't find a girlfriend? Well, this take isn't going to suddenly change the hearts of females so they can magically be attracted to an old fart (well you may not be old but you may be a fart) who plays games all fucking day, etc, etc. Sorry bro, it doesn't work like that.

• You're 15.

Shouldn't you be playing with legos?

• Well if you're hardworking and you're already helping out your parents of course it wouldn't count. But if you were lazy and maybe did a small part time job and didn't do so well in school or college then i'd say you were irresponsible, not looking out for yourself in future scenarios, etc. But if you work your ass off for not only yourself and you parents as well its a tragic situation and I apologize. I was being stereotypical myself. Good luck. @EnglishArtsTeacher

• @PeachSunset I figured my situation didn't apply to your original claim.

• ... Lol. Is this serious? Thanks, but no thanks. It's fine for some women, but not for me.

• It all depends on why they are living with their parents. At my age I have met a couple of guys who lived with their parents. One had screwed up his life (substance abuse) and had moved in with his parents to "start over". Yep he was definitely not dateable.
    Another guy had moved in with his mother to care for her when she got cancer. Definitely a guy I want to spend time with.

• Seriously, the age of the guy needs to be in question.

22 and right out of college? Fine.

Mid forties? That even makes ME dry up.

• Not my thing. I prefer old men in their mid to late twenties and early 30s anyway, I'd think he was a complete loser if he lived with his parents. I want someone well established, and independent. And I want privacy.

• More from Girls
    27

What Guys Said 59

• I know this list is satirical (I assume as such) but it entirely depends on the reason.

I'm a workaholic, who just graduated from college and I'm currently looking for a STABLE job. I'm also very close to my family, so I don't mind living with my parents, my sister, my brother in-law and my Nephew. Once I find a stable job, I can help out with my parents with the bills.

Then again, some people are extremely lazy and refuse to help out. It entirely depends here.

• hahahah fun list

But I'll take my walk-around-naked, carefree, independent lifestyle thank u very much

• I live with my parents because it saves money while I'm working hard towards my engineering degree. I don't care if girls find it attractive or not. I'm not out to impress women at this stage of my life I'm just out to make my life better.

• cool that you picked out some pointers but in no way does this compare to dating someone with their own place hahaa.

• I still live at home , the only reason is this Damned economy , I've got a decent job and I'm 99% independent
    I just can't find a reasonably priced apartment or home in my area.

• Getting my own place hasn't made a difference. However, a gal still living with her folks wouldn't bother me at all. I don't place that high a priority on sex in the relationship, so I can totally bypass that fear of getting caught in the act. If her folks want me to save it for marriage, I totally don't have a problem with that.

Besides, bonding with her family makes bonding with her easier. To know that there's no competition for her affections nor animosity or suspicion towards me boosts my confidence a great deal. Plus, they're gonna be a part of the equation one way or another anyway. So I wanna know what I'm getting myself into. May as well go the one-stop shopping route.

• I still live with my parents. Medical reasons. Epilepsy. My parents are doing everything they can to make it better, but atm my brain is really screwed up. I have trouble remembering things, including both names and faces. Not being able to remember either makes it impossible to keep friends,(only able to try at church), which I need the most right now... It is also why I can't look for a job or my own place, let alone a woman...
    Aside from "disposable income", the rest would all be very true.
    I'd be really embarrassed to admit I lived with them any time real soon after meeting her, but know I would need to...

If I could have a list of favorite posts, I'd add this to it.

• I always try to get farther in life, though. I'm shy in general, but working on it. I'll also get a job and in college when they're finally possible.

• Yea for #5. You are looking at $500-1500 per month in savings. This doesn't count the internet, the gas, hydro and electricity which could add up to about $300 a month.

A $1300 savings per month for 10 years of living with your parents will get you about $230k, more than enough for a house of your own. Maybe multiples, if you are evil and buy multiple houses, rent them out to other guys and still live with your parents.

• 8) there's no logical reason to judge someone on who they live with

• I love my parents and there are so many benefits about living at my parents, and ofc saving all dat moneyyy.

• If you're over 18 and you still live with your parents, you're a loser, plain and simple

• Yeah, so I should have paid rent and left my stuff to be burglarized when I was working a job where I traveled most of the year.

Dumbass. Let us know when you hit the real world.

• Even if you live at home, no one over like 18 should be depending on their parents to cook their meals and do their laundry.

• The point on the money is so true.

• Living at home is a great way of filtering out the shallow women who aren't marriage material.

• How has that been working out for you?

• @Lioness I'm getting married to lovely lady who also lives at home. I personally moved back home while finishing college in my early thirties.

• That is great to hear, I am glad working out for you :D

• Reason #8: Because living at home doesn't necessarily tell anything bad about the person's character.

People have their reasons why they live at home. Maybe they are having a hard time with something. Not everyone has an easy time figuring out their way through life. That doesn't mean they have nothing to offer, though.

I live at home. I have a bachelor's degree in business, and no debt. However, I really don't like the field, I find it bone-dry boring and working in an office would push me further towards becoming a boring person. I understand work isn't going to be fun 24/7, but it doesn't have to feel like jail either. Is it really a success to live on your own but to be another one of those stressed-out, constantly angry, boring, probably alcoholic office professionals, always grumbling about how he wishes could have been an athlete or a movie star? I needed some time to find something that I could at least feel somewhat interested in, that still makes a respectable wage. I needed some space to find myself, I needed to take some time and figure out why things always go badly for me so I could break the cycle. I was on a path to becoming an angry, boring old man, and I needed to get off it and set a new course.

It's great for you if you've got it all figured out, but don't call me a piece of shit because I have a harder time than you with the things you find easy. I do have something to offer, I do have worth, I have some substance to me. I could be doing better but I'm not less of a person.

• Now this is silly, the girl I like lives with his mom. Come on, she never can see things could be much better possibly more updates later..

• i am from pakistan and we never leave our parents no matter how rich we get, we will get a big house but we just can't move away from our parents at their old age,

its a lot to with society parents here take care of their kids until college or unless they have a stable job once he get it he does the same for his parents

• So for a while parents support both kids and grand parents? That would be financially impossible for a lot of people. Not without considerably dropping the quality of living.

• lol. the title of this is hilarious, the reasons why are twice as funny.

• While a guy shouldn't be discounted for living with his parents, only #5 is anywhere near valid.

• Retarded take. Any grown man that lives with his parents shouldn't be any dating material for any girl.

• Oh shush. You still live at home.

• @CincinnatiRedsFan
      Maybe saying "Any grown man that lives with his parents shouldn't be any dating material for any girl," is really a bit much. Thanks for educating me on that! :D

• @2014raser No problem! Again, you're still a teenager and aren't as aware of our atrocious economy.

• More from Guys
    39