Signs you shouldn't go on a second date

I am not made for dating. Yes, I'm only 20. What do I know about dating? Probably nothing. But one thing I do know is that dating is not easy and it pretty much sucks. Let's be honest the first date can be awkward; you know the awkward silence, ridicoulous interactions, and even getting bored by the person you're dating. If you're lucky enough to make it through the first date, the decision that comes next is whether to go on a second date or not. Deciding whether to go on a second date can be difficult but if you think that person is worth another shot, you should give it a try! But if not, don't worry, here are 9 signs you souldn't go on a second date.

1. No butterflies

Signs you shouldn't go on a second date

If you don't feel the chemistry on the first date, you should keep moving.

2. You have no desire to look or reply at their texts the morning after

If you were interested in that person, you would want to reply instantly.

3. They make you feel uncomfortable

Listen to your inuition! If you feel uneasy when you're with them, that's a red flag! Whether it was the way they looked at you or the things they said.

4. They don't ask anything about you

The whole point of dating is to get to know people so you can do that whole falling in love thing and find an awesome partner. If your date is too busy talking about themselves without even once asking you a single question, then they're not right for you.

5. They spend their time on their phone

This a deal breaker! Your date has to have their undivided attention on you. It's not bad for them to glance once or twice at their phone but being on their phone for the entire date is a big NO!

6. No eye contact

If someone isn't looking you in the eye, they either don't care, or have something to hide. Of course, there are those who are genuinely uncomfortable with eye contact, but even those people make an effort.

7. All they do is talk about their exes

No one should be talking about their exes on a first date! I get it, not every relationship ends on a good note, but that doesn't mean anyone has any right to talk bad about their ex, especially to a stranger.

8. They don't what they're looking for

You don't want to waste your time with someone who doesn't know what they want. You need to figure that out for yourself, if you haven't already.

9. You just weren’t feeling it, for whatever reason

At the end of the night, whether you go on a second date is about you and what you're feeling. Even if your date is just dying to see you again, if you're not into it, then don't sign up for a second date.

This does not mean you're selfish; it's knowing what you want and not settling for anything less. <3

cl_517 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 16

• I am curious about why you did not specifically discuss the amount of physical affection that was displayed on a first date. That is the most confusing part of a first date for me. I have been on first dates where I tried to hold their hand and they reacted as if I had tried to pull down their panties and I have had other first dates where a girl was giving me kisses and hugs with a fair amount of passion. For me, getting a read on what a girl wants or expects in this area is the most challenging part of a first date.

• Good points, I haven't dated any either lol

• Lol good points though I could say they are generally gut instinct and common sense for the most part.

• I agree with this Take. It is all about vibes, if the vibes aren't for you then don't force yourself into a second date.

• Good take - A guide on wether to go for it or not - 1,2,3 and 9 are just your gut instinct. You should listen to it - 4,5 and 6 are indicators something is not right with the chemistry - 7 and 8 are just pure deal breakers for me.

• thank you for reading Dave! :)

• I don't think you can plan romance like that the best relationships often happen by accident/chance meetings. I told you before you are gorgeous and have a lovely personality so put this way I would be very surprised if you stayed single for next five years. You will definitely attract some interest and who knows one of them might give you the "butterflies" from your take.

• You were right :)

• i disagree with 1 and 9 but not the others.

• This is pretty accurate. I've never been on a first date where someone has mentioned their exes, however I never thought I'd go out with someone who'd literally be on her phone over 50% of the time and I was proven wrong 3-4 months ago. Dating sucks, I've given up on it for the next little while

• Okay, the eye contact thing? What about those who are hearing impaired and depend a lot on lip-reading for communication. I'm okay with looking into a girl's eyes, but if I can't catch what she says, then it may be more of a rough night than either of us want it to be.

• Man that chick wearing the neon sign is a babe. I'd rearrange the periodic table to put myself next to her. Too bad she's inert.

• Those things can be important factors but never forget the one important thing to never overlook.

First impressions aren't everything. .. Indeed you're probably only meeting the person they're pretending to be and want you to think they are while they're actually hiding their character. You won't know them or their character until some time later.

I've always thought this is why being friends first and getting close this way was the best

• So this take is basically to put down the poor shy guys i see :'(

• H + Cl = Argon? I love physics but I suck at it. Does that work for guys too?

• This is a dilemma I've been facing as of late. The ones I don't like wanna keep seeing me and vice versa then there's some where I wanna see more but not sure where I wanna take it but then after date 4, I never hear from them.

Some people might take it as nobody wanting me but that's not the case, I'm just not desperate and am not gonna date someone just for the sake of having someone or to impress others.

• I kept having that problem for a long time too. Whenever I really liked a guy he was lukewarm or only trying to get laid, but when I wasn't interested they wouldn't stop trying. So frustrating!

Just gotta keep going!

• Yeah it's not easy but yeah I keep going. Usually the girl has stuff in common but isn't physically attractive (misleading pictures) or the girl is very attractive but has nothing in common and can't carry a conversation to save her life. I know there's no such thing as a perfect girl or guy for that matter but you gotta have at least some things in common and some physical attraction if it's gonna work out, can't be at one extreme.

• And with the ones that I did find very attractive and did have a good amount of things in common with, have seemed to end faster than the others mentioned. And I try not to rush too quick, fall head over heels, or come off overly interested and it hasn't worked out. Not to sound like one of those bitter makes that's like I'm nice or the world owes me the most gorgeous girl in the world but you know what I mean?

• Good take...

• #8 is a major issue with me. I'm not suggesting that you have your whole life mapped out to the second. I get that there are situations and circumstances that are beyond our control. However I also believe you should be honest enough with yourself to be able to sit down and think about the things you want in life, and to some lesser degree how to go about getting those things. Nothing frustrates me more than to meet people who just seem to go through their lives "lucking" into everything. By this I mean they apply for a job, they really aren't interested in the job, organization or where it might take them, and for whatever reason (luck) they get the job, and then as if this is not enough (still not really knowing what they want) they luck into promotions... WTF. I consider myself very deliberate. To be sure I know this isn't terribly exciting, but I know myself and I know what I want for the most part that is. Yes there are some loose ends I don't have all nailed down, and that is fine, I believe we all have some of this, but I worked to get the job I have and I have this job because it will give me the things I want, and I am still working at it to try and advance within this vocation. The idea that you can wander about and hopefully find something you just might be interested in / good at, just drives me nuts.

• Lol, nice fake!! Totally relatable as someone your age who isn't really blessed in the casting world. 😱

• haha thank you for reading :)

• Yeah, its mostly just to confusing and late at night for me to follow it. You like computer class?

Lol, just noticed that my original comment says "fake" instead of "take".

• i'm indifferent to computer class lol and yes I noticed also don't worry i know what you were trying to say :)

What Girls Said 9

• these are good points! nice job

• These are good points that I generally follow when I date. :)

• Talking about exes on the first few dates is a big red flag for me - either they're clearly not over the person, or they're the type of blame their ex for everything that went wrong. It's especially a red flag if they call their ex crazy..

• If you were interested in that person, you would want to reply instantly. not really true if you're working and don't have time.

• Loved it from beginning to end, and the gifs were on point too.💜 11/10****😊

• Let me ask a question. Is this list include guys and girls of all ages? And age does not matter at all? What if it is happening to a girl in her mid 40's or a guy in his mid 40 who suppose they already know what is to date

• Yep, very true. Sometimes you just aren't feeling it. Don't go on another date after that.

• I would fuck the shit out of Ryan Reynolds. I saw him in the new deadpool trailer and his personality is sexy but I guess I'm attracted to douchebag characters

• Why would anybody go on a date with someone they felt not chemistry to? If they are dating them because they are attractive then they will be dating for a long time

• Hahha he's hot!!

• The way you know not to go on a second date is if you have 5 non-negotiables and they fall into 1 or more of them.