3 Reasons Why I Don't Really Care About A Guy's Looks

Since I was a little girl, I have never been attracted to guys who are considered "sexy", "hot" or "attractive" by our society's conventional standards of beauty. When I was eight, I had a huge crush on Bill Nye from the show "Bill Nye The Science Guy" lol. I liked his tall, skinny physique and preppy hair, which seemed to go so well with his uniform of a button-up shirt, bow tie, and lab coat.

But aside from that, Bill was also the smartest person I knew. Smartest person in the entire world, maybe. It was a huge turn-on. He knew about electricity, how planes fly, and what was in outer space. Nye also taught me mind-boggling things.His show is where I first learned about matter (so that’s what the world is made of!), how to escape from quicksand (useful).

Now, I know, there are a ton of different variables that affect how much we're attracted to someone including personality preferences, cultural trends, societal pressures, and available potential partners.As a teenager, I’ve seen how intense sexual attraction is notorious for obliterating common sense in most sensible people.Also in the early stage of a relationship, when the sex hormones are raging, lust is fueled by idealization and projection--you see what you hope someone will be or need them to be--rather than seeing the real person, flaws and all.

1. Emotional attraction is more profound

Physical attraction is the desire to look and touch because what you see is pleasant to look at or arousing on a biological level. Basically, your sexual desire is triggered.

Emotional intimacy is far more important to me in any interpersonal relationships(not just romantic) I form with people than looks. If I'm intellectually and emotionally compatible with a person I can easily look past his crooked teeth, the huge mole on his cheek, his bulbous nose or balding hair.

2. A good guy with a big heart is all I need and want!!!

Kindness, patience, integrity,empathy, intelligence, open-mindedness are qualities rarely found in human nowadays. If the guys I'm with has all those attributes I don't give a two flying fucks about what he looks like.

3. Looks Fade!!! But True Love Doesn't

One day, we will all become old and wrinkly!!! If people could see inner beauty, they wouldn’t care about the outer beauty. Since we live in a physical world, we go on appearance. I know people from all walks of life and I honestly have to say, inner beauty is what matters to me. The inner beauty is reflected on the outer beauty. This person is an all around beautiful person.

sparkly-crystal is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 36

• Just tweeted to my 28k followers... Really nice TAKE! Bravo.

• Nah looks don't fade, I'm going to be one jacked, handsome old dude fr

• Attractive guys can have these qualities also.

• Okay but looks factor too. If she isn't a 7-8 at least I wouldn't date her. I got one life and I'm not wasting it.

• why would you settle for a 7 or an 8 instead of a perfect 10? The woman you fall in love with should be a perfect 10 in your eyes.

• Because to me she may be but overall her physical looks may be a 7 or 8 to most that is my scale, no chubby girl could win my love no matter how sweet no plain face skinny girl either. I say that as honesty not to slander. For example Lindsey Stirling is like dreamboat material, to me yeah her looks are beyond great but overall to most guys she's an 8.

• I think you want to magnet all skinny and fat dudes by starting these kind ot my takes. It is not a good to be meat head. But, fit guys are far more healthy than skinny and fat guys. It is scienceficly proven. I would try to support my partner to rise her fitness level for her health instead of cheating him with these words.

• It is a proven fact that women always say the opposite of what they want. You say looks don't matter means that they do matter.

• They say they want what they want to the guys desperate enough to listen to them and please them.

Sexual connection will forever trump emotional connection.

Emotion connection = boyfriend. Sexual Connection (which very high value guys are hot and can connect) = lover on the side that no one knows about.

• I have to agree I have heard girls say this stuff over and over, but have never seen it in action. Never heard a girls say "My boyfriend isn't good looking, but his heart is 9 inches ;-)"

• Two things number 1 girls love bad boys they can say you seem like a nice guy and all that garbage but if you don't change or assert yourself and get goals etc your not gonna get no poon and it is even harder if you are straight up short or are unattractive body wise it becomes 10 times as difficult, second thing I wanna say with all the pussy I've gotten is that women a lot of times will make fun of previous ex boyfriend or other guys dicks who they've been with they always goof saying the other guy was small or he only lasted 5 minutes or that they faked orgasm lol, girls can be just as mean a guys but they won't be straight forward or tell it as it is as many guys will, actually I myself have been surprised at how cruel the woman can be, but it what it is catch ya later man, the power of the pussy

• Claims not to care about men's looks but yet has a half naked muscular
    guy as the first pic. No one sees the hypocrisy here?

• I don't see it. Too bitter you are.

• Wow... He was right - you are bitter.

*chanted by a cheerleading squad*
      Don't bitter - it's the same thing as a quitter!

• @mystintri You two are morons not to see the hypocrisy in this take. But according to you two I'm bitter for telling the truth. For fucks sakes.

• well im must be ugly on the inside as well as on the outside, girls never cared about me

• I feel the same way.

• You don't think attractive people worked on being very attractive?

Attractive in a photo and being attractive in person are totally different.
      Through body-language, eye contact, humor, personality - to name a few - you can consciously work on yourself to be a charming, fun, cool, attractive guy.

• @mystintri

I am an ugly f*ck*r

• I'll be as good looking when I'm 985 years old.

• Sorry, but "ceteris paribus" (all other things being the same), between two good guys with equally big hearts and brains, you will pick the more hunky one. It is what it is.

• Haha I now have Bill Nye the science guy jingle stuck in my head 😜
    Also from being on here learning from some of you lovely ladies because it goes more with women than men but attraction can grow overtime.

• Even cattle farms don't have as much bullshit as your take does. Quit kidding yourself kitten you aren't unique for spewing the same bs that other women do. Take a Chad Thundercock and some Indian Currycel and we'll see who you respond better do.

"But Chad is funny and smart!" It's called projection and halo effect. Men need to hop off the 'looks don't matter' bus already because the tour's over.

• Wait till u c me

• You might not date a hot guy with no personality, but you would definitely do him.

• Bill Nye the Jewish Guy am I right, with all that slimy climate change bullshit he's plugging.

• Great take!

• Aww those old people.

• Bill Nye?
    Huh. I just googled "crush on Bill Nye" and you're not alone. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy. My Dad's friend worked with him at Boeing before he was famous. Had nice things to say about him. My niece used to watch him with me. I like his outreach to the public about scientific literacy. But I think his bow ties are ghastly.

My mother had a crush on Carl Sagan.

I guess the closest I can come to that was a childhood crush I had on a nun at my catechism. She didn't exactly dress in revealing clothing. She had beautiful, compassionate eyes and she was very sweet and kind to us. Talented, too. She sang and played guitar beautifully.

• So you won't mind a very average looking guy? won't mind a very hairy body guy? skinny? as long as he is nice all those stuff you mentioned? But what about the physical and sexual appeal?

• More from Guys
    16

What Girls Said 10

• Agree!
    Not to disregard good looks, though - because some attractive guys have amazing personalities too - it's usually the ones who don't really know they're attractive, though.

• Totally agree! Looks aren't everything. I discovered this especially with online dating. There is so much more to people than their appearance.

• so you won't mind a decent looking guy or skinny guy or maybe a very hairy guy?

• No guy is perfect and all human sin. I have learned this after years of marriage. The key is you have hope that you both become better for each other as you grow older. Looks and all other stuff that brought you together will be nothing if you keep a record of each others wrongs and meditate on it. The thing is no matter who you end up with they all need forgiveness and Grace. That's how real relationship works. I'm just voted and blabbing. Thanks for reading.

• Do you have any advice on not letting societal pressures affect the relationship?

• True. But both of them is better ;;)

• This is beautiful, I'm the same way

• I can't have sex or touch a person who's ugly and that I'm not attracted too even if they are the best person in earth

• Wow girl ! you are so "different " and such a #goodgirl you are so un-shallow #myinspiration and you deserve a cookie! ... Now back to being serious. What is this nonsense Mytake? Stop trying to act like you don't give two shits about how a guy looks. WE ALL want a hot guy. End of story.

• I don't agree with you. I only date hot guys.

• I agree !! Only disagree because I like a little bit bad boy. If very good boy... boring