3 Reasons Why I Don't Really Care About A Guy's Looks

Since I was a little girl, I have never been attracted to guys who are considered "sexy", "hot" or "attractive" by our society's conventional standards of beauty. When I was eight, I had a huge crush on Bill Nye from the show "Bill Nye The Science Guy" lol. I liked his tall, skinny physique and preppy hair, which seemed to go so well with his uniform of a button-up shirt, bow tie, and lab coat.

But aside from that, Bill was also the smartest person I knew. Smartest person in the entire world, maybe. It was a huge turn-on. He knew about electricity, how planes fly, and what was in outer space. Nye also taught me mind-boggling things.His show is where I first learned about matter (so that’s what the world is made of!), how to escape from quicksand (useful).

Now, I know, there are a ton of different variables that affect how much we're attracted to someone including personality preferences, cultural trends, societal pressures, and available potential partners.As a teenager, I’ve seen how intense sexual attraction is notorious for obliterating common sense in most sensible people.Also in the early stage of a relationship, when the sex hormones are raging, lust is fueled by idealization and projection--you see what you hope someone will be or need them to be--rather than seeing the real person, flaws and all.

1. Emotional attraction is more profound

Physical attraction is the desire to look and touch because what you see is pleasant to look at or arousing on a biological level. Basically, your sexual desire is triggered.

Emotional intimacy is far more important to me in any interpersonal relationships(not just romantic) I form with people than looks. If I'm intellectually and emotionally compatible with a person I can easily look past his crooked teeth, the huge mole on his cheek, his bulbous nose or balding hair.

2. A good guy with a big heart is all I need and want!!!

Kindness, patience, integrity,empathy, intelligence, open-mindedness are qualities rarely found in human nowadays. If the guys I'm with has all those attributes I don't give a two flying fucks about what he looks like.

3. Looks Fade!!! But True Love Doesn't

One day, we will all become old and wrinkly!!! If people could see inner beauty, they wouldn’t care about the outer beauty. Since we live in a physical world, we go on appearance. I know people from all walks of life and I honestly have to say, inner beauty is what matters to me. The inner beauty is reflected on the outer beauty. This person is an all around beautiful person.

sparkly-crystal is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit
Sponsored

What Guys Said 36

• Just tweeted to my 28k followers... Really nice TAKE! Bravo.

• Lol. Anyone who thinks this is true is extremely naive. Women are just as much visually attracted to guys as guys are to women, if not more so. The only difference is women are attracted to strength and men are attracted to beauty. No to say that women don't want a guy who connects with them emotionally, but no amount of emotional connection will ever get a woman in bed with you.

For example, a guy might like a woman with long beautiful hair and a nice ass, but a woman is more like to want a guy with a large arms and ripped abs. You probably won't find too many women swooning for guys with long beautiful hair and a nice ass, and you probably won't find too many men seeking out women with big arms and ripped abs.

Women can try to deny it all they want, but studies have shown over and over that women love muscular guys. And it's nothing to be ashamed of anyway, physical beauty is usually a strong indicator of physical health and a strong worth ethic, great things to have in a potential partner. Hard for a guy to get that ripped body if he sits on his ass playing video games all day munching on Cheetos.

• Yes, I'm attracted to big biceps, blue eyes, and a symmetrical face. I'm not going to deny that. But looks are just a bonus not a necessity for me.

• ironically, visual abs are a sign of below healthy bodyfat percentage, yet somehow indicate strength?

• @jaxxten We want women with big boobs but most women have small boobs. What can we do? Is it enough to want?

• Nah looks don't fade, I'm going to be one jacked, handsome old dude fr

• amazing take!!!

• Bill Nye?
    Huh. I just googled "crush on Bill Nye" and you're not alone. Don't get me wrong, I like the guy. My Dad's friend worked with him at Boeing before he was famous. Had nice things to say about him. My niece used to watch him with me. I like his outreach to the public about scientific literacy. But I think his bow ties are ghastly.

My mother had a crush on Carl Sagan.

I guess the closest I can come to that was a childhood crush I had on a nun at my catechism. She didn't exactly dress in revealing clothing. She had beautiful, compassionate eyes and she was very sweet and kind to us. Talented, too. She sang and played guitar beautifully.

• Sorry, but "ceteris paribus" (all other things being the same), between two good guys with equally big hearts and brains, you will pick the more hunky one. It is what it is.

• But I thought you liked tall and muscular guys like you said before.

• Okay here's the thing... hot guys can have everything you listed and more iam not here to defend anyone but why does everyone think that you must be dumb if you're hot? I have noticed through watching and interacting with people that hot people are usually very smart much more than you're average person so i dont get why every girl on here assumes they are dumb or can't emotionally connect or players or... etc

They can have skills, emotions and very interesting and down to earth personalities...

• Haha I now have Bill Nye the science guy jingle stuck in my head 😜
    Also from being on here learning from some of you lovely ladies because it goes more with women than men but attraction can grow overtime.

• Attractive guys can have these qualities also.

• Damn this is a good myTake... I really like the info you put into the article/blog and I found it very interesting.
    I laughed my ass of for the "I don't give two flying fuck's" 😂

• You might not date a hot guy with no personality, but you would definitely do him.

• Too bad you're human and totally think some people are more attractive than others.

• The only times when women don't care about looks is when the men in their lives are friends and family or if they guy is rich and a famous. If he is ugly and poor she won't touch him with a barge pole!

• I like it his!

• Even cattle farms don't have as much bullshit as your take does. Quit kidding yourself kitten you aren't unique for spewing the same bs that other women do. Take a Chad Thundercock and some Indian Currycel and we'll see who you respond better do.

"But Chad is funny and smart!" It's called projection and halo effect. Men need to hop off the 'looks don't matter' bus already because the tour's over.

• Okay but looks factor too. If she isn't a 7-8 at least I wouldn't date her. I got one life and I'm not wasting it.

• why would you settle for a 7 or an 8 instead of a perfect 10? The woman you fall in love with should be a perfect 10 in your eyes.

• Because to me she may be but overall her physical looks may be a 7 or 8 to most that is my scale, no chubby girl could win my love no matter how sweet no plain face skinny girl either. I say that as honesty not to slander. For example Lindsey Stirling is like dreamboat material, to me yeah her looks are beyond great but overall to most guys she's an 8.

• Aww those old people.

• You're gonna have a bad time once you get some actual life experience

• I think you want to magnet all skinny and fat dudes by starting these kind ot my takes. It is not a good to be meat head. But, fit guys are far more healthy than skinny and fat guys. It is scienceficly proven. I would try to support my partner to rise her fitness level for her health instead of cheating him with these words.

• More from Guys
    16

What Girls Said 10

• Totally agree! Looks aren't everything. I discovered this especially with online dating. There is so much more to people than their appearance.

• so you won't mind a decent looking guy or skinny guy or maybe a very hairy guy?

• No guy is perfect and all human sin. I have learned this after years of marriage. The key is you have hope that you both become better for each other as you grow older. Looks and all other stuff that brought you together will be nothing if you keep a record of each others wrongs and meditate on it. The thing is no matter who you end up with they all need forgiveness and Grace. That's how real relationship works. I'm just voted and blabbing. Thanks for reading.

• I don't agree with you. I only date hot guys.

• Agree!
    Not to disregard good looks, though - because some attractive guys have amazing personalities too - it's usually the ones who don't really know they're attractive, though.

• I agree !! Only disagree because I like a little bit bad boy. If very good boy... boring

• Do you have any advice on not letting societal pressures affect the relationship?

• True. But both of them is better ;;)

• This is beautiful, I'm the same way

• I can't have sex or touch a person who's ugly and that I'm not attracted too even if they are the best person in earth

• Wow girl ! you are so "different " and such a #goodgirl you are so un-shallow #myinspiration and you deserve a cookie! ... Now back to being serious. What is this nonsense Mytake? Stop trying to act like you don't give two shits about how a guy looks. WE ALL want a hot guy. End of story.