5 Reasons Why I Don't Care If a Guy Lives With His Parents

Men everywhere seem to believe that their possessions and how much money they have/earn is what attracts women and keeps them. Although this is true for a minority of women, the majority of women look for enjoyable personality traits and they're looking for someone to love and for someone to love them equally.

The men who believe that all women are materialistic often are embarrassed to admit that they live with their parents and/or think a woman will not want to date them because they still live with their parents. I feel that this shouldn't be the case so men, have no fear. I wanted to share with you that there are many women who do not care and to back this up, I'm sharing some reasons behind it.

1. Get to develop a relationship with parents

If you move out with someone straight away and live in their own house, you would rarely, if ever see their parents. Having a good relationship with his parents always helps so if my partner lives with their parents, it's easier and quicker for me to establish a relationship with them. It's also cute when they bring out the baby photos!

2. It's difficult to move out alone

As a 21 year old that also lives with her parents, I know how hard it is to get on the property ladder. It's even harder if you don't want to rent. Nowadays, it's not a shock for 30 year olds to buy their first house. I'm not going to expect the guy I date to have all his life goals completed and be totally stable with a house! It takes hard work, time and money.

3. Not materialistic

Anyone who knows me here know that I feel strongly about genuine equality (not that feminist stuff with double standards) and I have no interest in what a guy owns (unless he has a next gen console, then we'll be playing on that for some time!). Materialism isn't in my DNA. I've dated guys who live with their parents, are jobless and have no car. It's about love not their possessions.

4. Disposable income

If neither of us are paying high rent for a place, as well as all the bills, we both save money which can be used (equally) for days out together, creating memories, before taking the plunge and saving for a place.

5. Dating him for who he is

The guy will know you're dating him for who he is if you date him before he's moved out. Part of being in a relationship is being supportive and often encouraging them when they're way behind achieving their goals. When he eventually achieves them, he will look back and remember that she was there before he became successful.

There are downsides for a partner to still be living with their parents but personally, they don't bother me. You can still have a loving, passionate and intimate relationship with someone who lives with their parents.

Guys, don't be embarrassed or ashamed about living with your parents. A woman can and will still love you for who you are, which is what love is all about!

Hannah591 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 37

• my issue why Im home, 2 fold, My father died in 2002, and I got laid off recently, so I do all the stuff around the house.

• Not a bad Take. Our mom never pressured us to move out because of how hard it is in these times to live on your own, and she even welcomes us to still live with her anytime we want or need.

However, you're incorrect with these statements: "Men everywhere seem to believe that their possessions and how much money they have/earn is what attracts women and keeps them... The men who believe that all women are materialistic often are embarrassed to admit that they live with their parents and/or think a woman will not want to date them because they still live with their parents."
    - Men think that for a reason. Women often do seek men with money and status. And a man can/will still think women are materialistic even if he DOES have his own place and not living with his parents. You don't have to still live at home to know that more than just a few women are focused on possessions and money.

• Ya I think living at home if u live in NYC/SF and living at home in Dallas/Charlotte are two different things, it's so expensive in some if the major cities

• Long Island NY is expensive, I still live at home but girls seem to want guys with good jobs not minimum wage jobs. It's tough because it's not necessarily anyone's fault they have trouble getting good paying jobs, when after college!

• L. a. Is expensive too trust me :(

• @Toad-1 I've heard that!

• seems very logical. respect

• I personal like this very much so. If I can find a girl who can do all that I just read here. She be too perfect for me and I would never betray her at all. So if your out there give me a holler and a chance of a life time.

• Am always honest about everything but wish i had a girl like this.

• Thank you.

• Its great that you feel this way, but something tells me you're in the minority here.

• Love this,

• Here's a different take and maybe will cause some bad comments on me but I've got to be honest. I have my own place as well as go and stay with my parents... lately more with them then by myself (but that's why it's by myself which I'm fine with but being alone all the time isn't fun). So coming from my situation I worry about the person I'm dating when we go to my parents house they'll very quickly change from focusing on a us and a future, to (which I've seen this more times then I care to admit) to them change to the fact that they know what I come from and what I'm able to do for her. I've had the most difficult time throughout my life finding a girl who truly wants me for me and not my connections or what color my credit card is. I don't mean to put anyone down and I'm sure there are more guys that are in this situation that then will admit which is fine but I feel they need to see a response to this I've learned a way now to weed it out mostly... honestly though the only girl I think truly wanted me for me was when we built a "us" from a friendship and leaving the financials out of it. Once money came into it it became a BIg problem not right away but once they get used to being able to spend, and I can't speak for all guys but I want a family of my own eventually so after they end up spending unrealistic money I'll cut the funds because at that point it's not about us anymore and at that point Midas well kiss the relationship goodbye no matter how much you love another... no matter if your heart was in the right place... in my experience it doesn't matter. I'd appreciate any positive advice. Keep in mind there is quite a bit I'm not saying and my lifestyle is far from normal. The other big issue I have is actually called "white knights syndrome" I know it I just can't seem to fix that about me, even if it's only a project for me and no original feelings involved. However that last situation was a very loving and honest 3 year relationship we ended just because the distance between us was to far so we grew apart...

• You would not date a guy living with his parents unless he's hot and/or has a huge dick.
    Fact!

• I have to find a guy attractive, yes.

• I know that face and body are important too.

• Yes, but that doesn't mean her definition of attractive is the same as yours.

I prefer attractive guys myself, but my definition of attractive is not men with abs or muscles or really thick strong bodies. I dont care for what colour hair and everyone looks the same to me so what their face looks like is irrelevent.

While every woman prefers attractive men, that does not mean they all think the same man is attractive.

So stop getting your knickers in a knot and relax. The only thing ugly about you is your attitude. And that should be the first thing you change.

• Not bad, especially for someone who lives at home and has not even attempted dating sin e moving back home. I actually really value independence and can't wait to move out (hopefully this fall!) but ya... student loans suck... But I'd actually rather scrape by or pick up a second job than live at home... which is weird because I have a very healthy relationship with my parents, I hardly even see them as I work nights and they work days. They give me total freedom (except no girls, not even my exes during school could spend the night in the summers). I think half of it is the area I live in, which is heavily family oriented suburb setting, and I am a city boy 100%

• I kinda feel sorry for the younger generation in the sense that a lot of the good paying jobs are still taken up by the older crowd which forces them to take a lower paying job and have to live at home.

It is sad to see the younger generation taking University and College and have to take a job flipping burgers for years until something comes along. It is unfortunate because the cost of living does not seem to reflect the lack of high end jobs that are out there anymore.

• It sucks, I come home from college, and all the older people have taken the entrance level jobs like sales associate or waitress. It's competitive because I have a few summers under my belt and some people have 10 years.

• @vishna That does suck! I know I have been steering my daughter to work towards a self employed type situation rather than rely on being provided a job when she finishes college or university.

• That's a really smart move. Honestly, graduate school/college is only really worth it for a few people it seems.

• A nice take. I know pretty respectable guys who live at home because of how much money it saves them.

• Not such a bad thing from graduating high school to your later twenties while your getting your education and working your way up in your career field. It’s tough out there and everything is expensive, true enough, but you gotta make the move sometime.. Once you turn 30 at the latest, you should have your shit together and enough money saved up by then to move out and get a place of your own. It’s gonna get old being a grown man or woman and not having your own privacy and hoping mom and dad will be out for the evening so you and your significant other can have some alone time, not to mention the nagging and complaining that mom and dad will inevitably do. It will take its toll on a relationship, you need have your own place and things.

• It's cultural. Many plAces it's normal for extended families to live together. Many people don't have the option. Houses are a huge waste of valuable resource.

• It's the norm in many. Cultures. Living at home means more responsibilities not fewer. I don't know if you're from the United States but if so that could help explain why you're having diffculty wrapping your head around how other people live... Americans tend to be solipsistic. :)

• @Azara Yes I am an American from a small Texas town. Where are you from then?

• #s 2, 4 and 5 are good points

• My generation was taught get a good job, make good money, own your land and home. Then you stand a better chance because you can offer stability and security.

• I know but this is the new generation! :)

• That may be but human needs haven't changed. One day the new generation will see this

• Very true, and applies to women as well. I'm lucky enough to have dated both women who live on their own, and women who live with their parents. I preferred the latter. Not trying to steal the thunder, but here's why I prefer dating women who live with their parents, and intend on moving out when they are established.

1) Tend to be more goal oriented: Most of them were seeking higher education, and knew they couldn't afford it if they were to focus on paying rent.

2) Family time: It's easier to plan family days when you're constantly around the family. More importantly, the family gets to know you a lot better, and often are eager to have you over.

3) Disposable income: Pretty much covered in your post. First girl I dated had a full time job, but had to pay rent, utilities, etc. She could never afford to go out. My last girlfriend lived with her parents. We could both afford to go out, and still managed to save money.

4) Can be more enjoyable: Let's face it, things can get boring when you've spent months alone with a person. It's always nice to have her parents around to make suggestions, get conversations started, etc.

• I agree. I also feel I can trust a guy much better wrenches close and open with his family.

• Great take. I've been living on my own since last August but I don't judge because the economy is tough. It took me a year after I graduated college to get my first real career.

Shit happens too. People get laid off, lose jobs, etc and they just have to live with their parents for the time being.

• Im 32 and still live with the parents. It is definitely an insecurity i have and don't disclose to people often. But it would certainly be nice to meet a woman who understands that its been difficult for me and im trying to get out of here

• I'm sure you'll find someone soon who you can move out with when the time is right. :)

• More from Guys
    17

What Girls Said 10

• Yup, couldn't agree more. =)

• i agree completely!!! nice take

• Totally agree! It always seems like a double standard when it comes to guys living at home; why is it socially acceptable for a girl to live at home, but not a guy?

• @MandyRuth It's the same case with grown men who are still virgins. It's more stigmatized for them than it is for women virgins.

• I think at one point it is going to matter if he gets you pregnant during the relationship. Just because a guy lives with his parents, does not mean that he has the right to lack ambition

• Many guys who live with their parents still have ambition. They want to get the dream job/car/house, it's just not the right time for them yet.
      I have safe sex and don't plan on ever having children so wouldn't be an issue for me.

• That's YOUR 'opinion'. No way I'd simply change it. If believing that keeps you happy, so be it.

• @Hannah591 Great points. A lot of them do have goals and dreams.

• I didn't but my first house with my husband until almost 30. But I would prefer the guy living in an apartment than his parents. With that said I did live with his parents for four months and it was alright.

• I agree.

• I live with my parent too
    He'll have more money for buy me things

• As long as a guy isn't being a mooch and has goals then it shouldn't matter if he's living with his parents or not. Plus, homes and apartments are expensive.

• I don't care if a guy lives at home because I'm 21, in debt from student loans, have no car, have a year to get my B. S., and live with my mom during the summer.

And I would obviously more than happy to date someone in my own situation.

Lets be broke but working for the future!

• Lol I know right I pay $1160 for my apt I'm in school & broke to the bone. However I still try my best to put away enough for movie night with my wonderful lady. :)

• @Jujulius All you need to do is pay a few dollars a month for Netflix - movie nights sorted. :)

• We do have Netflix but it's good for both of us at least once a month to eat out and see a movie.

• Good take. I think there are 2 kinds of guys who live with their parents, the kind you described who have a job and goals and seem to contribute to the family and household, which are amazing. And the kind who yell at their mom to bring more Cheetos to the basement and oh by the way wash my clothes which suck.

• Yeah, I like the first amazing ones :P

• @Jujulius so true. You sound great.

• I have my moments but I do okay lol. My girlfriend's perfect I'm just trying to keep up.