Why do men outnumber women in the online dating world?

I have read that men seriously outnumber women on online dating sites, sometimes by as much as five to one. I have some ideas as to why this is, but I'd like to hear your opinions. Why do men outnumber women in the online dating world?

Most Helpful Guy

• well its simple really. Girls have an easier time picking up men than the other way around, so most women don't need to resort to online dating to find an interested guy. Guys on the other hand tend to have a more difficult time, so they go online hoping to cut out some of the work of having to be super amazing within the first like 2 minutes of talking to some girl face to face. I just think girls are harder to please, so going online has become a second avenue for guys who are struggling a bit. I have no problems with it myself.

• I'm not sure I agree that girls have an easier time picking up men, Negrodamus. I used to think this when I was your age but I'm not so sure. I could be wrong. However, thanks for sounding off.

What Girls Said 3

• I knw ur old bt I think I lyk u :(
    Let's marry :0 wht du u say? :(

• I'd say I'm not old. :(
      And I'm going to keep telling myself that until I start believing it... or I die, whichever comes first. :-D

Oh, and I'd also say you can do better. Aim higher, my dear.

• Ju r ma Aim :0 v cud make a beautiful family :(

• After some bad experiences I've had online dating, I'd guess many get scared off!

• Interesting. I should write a question about sharing bad online dating experiences.

• Because women fear for serial killers during online dating.

What Guys Said 4

• I guess many women believe men to be weirdos or they have had been experiences with online dating. So I believe fear is kind of a factor here.

• I see. Why would women believe men trying to meet someone online to be weirdos any more than men they meet in real life?

• Going based off many of the women's comments I assume I am correct :)

• Got it. Thank you.

• A huge part of it is that women on average have lower sex drives than men - they have a weaker drive to find new partners and are therefore less likely to sign up.

Its also because most women already know several men in real life who want to date them, should they be feeling particularly desperate. This is also caused by unequal sex drives, since that is what causes men to proactively meet and attempt to court women in real life too.

• women are more paranoid about meeting someone online than the other way around, and I don't really blame them

• Girls have a way easier time getting into relationships than guys do

• Why do you think that? I can't say that I agree with you.