Why do women drop 'subtle' hints?

I've had many experiences of women dropping hints, and then expecting me to read their minds, getting mad when I inform them I can't. Why do they do it?

What's Your Opinion?

0/2000

Most Helpful Opinion

• I did this with my last boyfriend so I knew that he wasn't just using me to get a piece of ass ! Guys do that all of the time ! We never know if your really paying attention, or if your just using us ! Plus if they don't know already then when we get mad at them they should know, and we should be able to drop other hints telling them that they need to pay more attention to how we look at things . I know that your trying and that's all that matters . So prove to her that for example you may know more about skateboarding than nail polish . You need to tell her that you do listen but you can't remember everything . And she needs to learn to trust you and understand where your coming from .

• True. Strangely enough, what I have found causes the most amount of break-ups is actually a lack of communication. I just wish that everyone would just be obvious with their communication so that there's fewer misunderstandings. I hope that doesn't make life boring, but it might make it easier and less painful for all concerned.

• We don't purposely try 2do it its just kinda n our nature...u see I understand where your coming from I really do...n wen I do that to my boyfriend I never get mad at him....maybe its just b/c she thought that you had to know that kinda stuff or maybe she just expects more from u...either way you both need to pay attention to each others feelings..

• Do you expect guys to know what you have in your mind long before you tell them? Don't you think that at least a little unreasonable? Surely there are better ways to find out if he really likes you or if he's just after 'a piece of ass' as you put it. Do you trust your guy enough to really like you, or are you just after having a boyfriend for the sake of it?

I get what you're saying about proving about my listening. I do try as it's the least of what I can do (esp with my memory) for her.

What Girls Said 3

• That's just what women do sometimes . Now if they keep getting mad at you, then maybe you just need to ask them what they are thinking, rather than try to interpret them . They can't really get mad if you are flat out asking them what they want and what they are thinking . Also, I know lots of girls who do this, but none that continuously get mad about it . Are these the right girls for you ?

• Good answer! I suppose guys do try to walk around on egg shells rather than just asking their girlfriend what they're really thinking.

This was an entirely hypothetical question, not for me to really find out as much as to ask a good question. I do try and understand what girls are feeling generally so that I can let them be happy. Being as understanding as I try to be certainly helps. I want other guys to be like that too.

I'm Quackpotty. I found out this is the thing guys hate most in girls.

• Most people feel as tho they need to be understood, right ?

well usually I've found that if a women is dropping hints then she wants something done and can't understand why you don't know her well enough to know what she's on about .

so they get mad because they feel like there not being listened too or appreciated

• Surely it's better for everyone if you're completely honest and open ? I know girls want guys to be like that . Surely though that must go both ways ? I do try to understand girls better, and try to make sure that I can get their hints, but it can be really annoying when you're not in that mood for mind games . Thanks for the answer !

• Women in our society can't just fling themselves at a man (or give obvious signs of interest) without being called a slut. We're stuck trying to drop subtle hints in order to encourage men to pursue us. Some of it is a game too. How boring it would be if everyone you wanted just jumped into bed with you the moment they felt like it. :P It draws out the expectation to have to figure out what she's thinking. Men aren't exactly the most obvious creatures to read at all times either, so sometimes women aren't sure what to do. Thus, we are all confused...

• "Thus we are all confused..." Sums up all the positive and negative aspects of our two gender party system.

• I suppose communication has become a long forgotten word. Instead, people try to deliver their thoughts by swallowing a large quantity of fuzz that hopefully allows you to filter all the hints people drop. That or they empty their minds, and then deposit the fuzz right into their now empty skulls. I can see where the idea of making life interesting comes from. It can make it ruddy annoying sometimes too.

What Guys Said 2

• Because something in their mind says. I feel like confusing the shit out of this @sshole I'm with. This is the real reason they call men dogs because when they drop these hints or when the speak indirectly we cock our heads to the side and look at them just like a confused dog.

And they CLAIM it's because we look at girls with our tongues hanging out. << DON'T LET THAT SH!T FOOL YOU! :D

• Note to self, don't cock my head to the side like a confused dog. :)

• Lol! That's certainly one way of looking at it.

• Its to keep you on your toes and second guessing all your moves. If you are confused then you are vulnerable and it helps them build a repertoire of incidents to instantly recall from their "Remember that day when you really hurt me when you didn't" file. :)

• Yeah. That damn file. It has incredibly sharp teeth that has bitten me in the @ss just a few too many times.