Is it normal to feel this relieved after getting dumped?

My ex bf dumped me about 2 weeks ago. At the time, he wasn't sure whether he wanted to be with me and said he wasn't ready for a relationship. He was more or less an emotional mess and played with my feelings for quite some time. When he first said he wanted to break up, I took it hard and cried, begged etc. But afterwards, I agreed to the break up and accepted it.

We haven't spoken for two weeks now and for some reason I have been feeling really relieved for the past few days now. Is it normal to feel this relieved and like a weight has been lifted off your shoulders?

Most Helpful Girl

• Yeah, I think it's normal as long as the break up doesn't completely catch you by surprise. If it's a slow downward spiral where things are getting worse yet no one has the courage to pull the plug, when that finally happens it understandably will feel like a huge weight has been lifted from your shoulders. You'll look back in retrospect and after the initial shock of it being over wears off and you've mourned it for a bit, you'll see that you are in fact much better off without it.

What Guys Said 2

• I don't know about 'normal', but it's often a relief to be finally free when things have gone sour, but you are reluctant to formally end the relationship.
    Yo describe him as a mess, so OF COURSE you are relieved!

• not normal. if you liked him, ud be mad and sad... and maybe pretend to be ok

What Girls Said 1

• Because apparently you got rid of one shitty relationship. When we get rid of sth making us sad, its inexistence makes us happy again.
    Your mind figured it out this before you. Congrats. Welcome being you again!