Guys and girls- My girlfriend is throwing up with the flu, how should I help/comfort her?

My girlfriend and I just moved in together about a month ago- we've been together for two years. She's a pretty modest person but she's really sensitive and relies on me for comfort when she's not feeling her best.
Today she came home from work really nauseous and started throwing up. She's got a fever and aches so it's likely the flu- what should I do to help her?
Should I stay with her and rub her back and belly? Girls, what do you want your boyfriend to do when you're throwing up? Guys, what do you do when your girlfriend is puking?
I'm not grossed out, I just want to comfort her and I don't care about getting sick.

Most Helpful Girl

• That's sweet that you care so much about her. Personally I'm a huge baby about throwing up- I'm really nervous about it and I get anxious and cry and my boyfriend knows that- for whatever reason when I'm sick he turns into this hugely protective and comforting teddy bear hahaha.
    If I'm going to throw up he usually sits behind me and holds my hair and rubs my stomach and just tells me it's going to be okay. Yeah I hate doing such a gross thing in front of him but it helps me not panic so much. I have a really sensitive stomach so unfortunately I find myself in this situation a lot but having him hold me makes it a lot less scary. Of course I return the favor when he has a bit too much to drink with the guys or has the flu lol

What Girls Said 3

• Hold her hair!
    Cuddle her
    Get her water

• You sound incredibly sweet to her. Whenever I throw up, I get all shakey, nervous, and sometimes on the verge of tears if it's really bad. All I want when I'm sick is someone to give me hair ties (or hold my hair back), rub my back or stomach, and cuddle with me in between trips to the toilet. Something cute to add: after she's done over the toilet (and cleaning up), pick her up bridal style and carry her back to the bed/couch. Also, you can wet a washcloth with cool water and lie it on her forehead. Sometimes that feels really good. Oh, and just to add the cherry on top, don't forget to tell her she's beautiful! :)

• If you aren't too squeamish, you could help hold her hair out of puke's way. You could be the one to take her for a flu test. Be ready with a cup of water after a wave of vomiting to rinse her mouth. Make sure she's not low on tooth paste. Do things to try to keep her mind off of how she's feeling. Cuddle with her if she's in a vomit-free-for-a-few-hours streak. In general, if she asks you to do something for her (I. e. Grab me another blanket? Could you go out and get some more aspirin?), DO IT. She feels like crap, just be compassionate and if she asks for some more space, give her some more space. Play it minute by minute. Good luck!

What Guys Said 3

• Hold her hair, rub her back, get her cool water to drink (and gentle-on-the-stomach foods, such as soup and crackers). Vomiting will dehydrate a person quickly, so she needs to drink water (slowly but constantly) to replenish it. She can go without food for a long time, but she needs water.

She may have food poisoning, which hits hard and fast and will give you both a fever and vomiting. It's awful, but it's usually over in about 12 hours. Just monitor the fever and get to a hospital if it goes above 103F.

• Hold her hair out of the way and put her to bed. Then leave her alone to rest.

• Just be there for her and comfort her, get her what she needs, take her to the doctor if needed