Would you marry a girl that had an autoimmune disease?

The main thing is that she has to take 4 pills everyday or she might get tired and become sick. But otherwise she is normal. I am asking for my sister. She is 22. She can do most things a normal person can do and can live just as long and can have kids. Her disease is usually not genetic or hereditary but it can be related. (She has it we think because of a related disease that my grandparents had when they were younger but I don't have it) So if you found out the girl you like had this would you still want to date or marry her? Be honest but I would like to know if you say no why not?

• Yes/probably
  • No/probably not

Most Helpful Guy

• you say "auto-immune disease," and many people instantly think of AIDS or an equivalent.
    There are many kinds. Hell, I have one.
    The idea of dating someone with an autoimmune condition doesn't bother me. It just means I need to be aware of her needs and how she is feeling.

My big concern is the potential hereditary nature of the condition, because, seeing as I have a mild condition also, and I would like to be a father one day, I worry that if both parents had immune conditions, it could ensure that our child would face health issues of their own.

Most Helpful Girl

• I voted yes, since I have an autoimmune disorder as well and I'm not a hypocrite. It's not contagious or anything like that. But I still feel bad being sick, like it's unfair to the guy. He doesn't have to do anything for me, I can manage this on my own, but still. Your sister sounds better off than what I have, so I don't see issues with her dating guys that want to.

What Guys Said 23

• It hurts to say this, but I would not date her. It is due to fear of birth defects in her kids due to the medication. I seriously believe that not all testing is even possible to rule out that every drug is safe. I believe birth defects are possible. So many people today are on meds and yet so many kids end up with ADHS, or autism or some other issue, it is hard to argue that meds are totally safe.

• That's is a legit point. But I just wanted to say that if she wanted kids she would have to stop taking her medication and go off of it for a while or find other safer meds.

• Good point for those thinking about having children one day.

• This sounds cheesey, but love truly knows no bounds. It's better to let yourself fully love someone, even if their sick or have a short time to live, than not love someone to the fullest extent because your scared of what's going to happen.
    My uncle fell in love with a wo. an who was terminally ill, he loved her more than a person can love another one, and she died right before they were able to get marry, and he never once regreted it. Knowing true love, even for just a day, is just as good as knowing it for a lifetime. I hope your sister finds the right person.

• I personally wouldn't marry anyone cause I think marriage is a useless and obsolete concept. With that said, I am curious. Would she marry a guy who has had a colostomy and shits in a bag?

• it would kinda depend on what type of disease but maybe

• I'm. Not. Going. To. Name. The. Disease

• did i say i was perfect? and you're right i don't get girls. I'm married to one. whatever has you so angry, i'm sorry. I did nothing to insult you aside from answer your question which i definitely regret doing.

next time if you don't want honest answers. don't ask questions

• Excuse me, but he's not on here to get girls. He's here to post. Fuck off please. You are like cancer. You are the definition of A. Fucking. Bitch. You are so sad being such an attroucious person. And no. I would not marry someone with that disease. I fucking hate being sick. Which would result in me hating your sister. I just feel bad that she has to deal with such a negative person like you. But she's probably just as big of a b as you are. Worse than cancer. madhatters4, I don't know how you can take that and still end up being so nice.

• It depends the autoimmune disease she has. You said it can be related to genetics, that is a major concern when thinking about passing this potentially dangerous disease to your kids one day.

I dunno, the relationship would have to be outstanding at the very lesst

• Yeah I bet she wouldn't date someone like you anyway. Sorry

• Well disease or not the relationship always has to be outstanding. Just with a situation like this its imperative to have a very solid base to cushion any downfalls we may potentially experience down the road.

• I thought you meant because she has an illness the relationship has to be outstanding. Either way it's not fatal

• 1|0
  • I said yes, but an not really a fan of marriage anymore. Four pills doesn't sound as bad as some things out there. I am not really a fan of pills or chemicals, and would wonder what other options would be available other than continuous medication. Sometimes all these chemicals leech and breaking down their complex structures is a headache.

• Sure, big deal. Of course there are diseases that if someone had, I'd never date like incurable stds but most diseases aren't a problem, especially controlled ones.

• I picked yes but that answer would have applied when I was younger. Now that I'm older though I don't want to get married at all to nobody.

• I know how it feels to have an autoimmune disease, i myself got alopcia areata which make my imune system attack my hair and make me lose it...

i have read a lot about diffrent types of autoimune disease what you have may sounds like the disease is named Corticosteroids and my mother has it she needs to take meds everyday or else she will feel sick.

i would probably marry the girl but i wouldn't have kids because the disease can be passed to the child.

Like it passed to me...

• Yes I have autoimmune disorders so I'd be a hypocrite if I rejected someone on that basis.

• Yea, but depends what kind I have 3 different auto immune diseases myself.

• Probably, I have to take medication for mental disorders

• You need to name the disease otherwise it is unfair for anyone to answer either way

• If she really loves me , then nothing can stop me from marrying her.

• hell yea you can learn a lot from them

• I don't think you should date someone because of that not treat them as test subjects

• If I love her and she makes me happy and fulfills me why not?

• No, but I wouldn't marry any girl in the first place. Marriage doesn't serve any purpose.

• Well she wouldn't want you either

• Depends on her life insurance.

• My wife has one too. But her life expectancy is no way as good as your sister's.
    Statistically she should already be dead.
    We learned it only after years of marriage. I'd still marry her if we had to restart our life.

• Wow I don't even think I would be able to do that if my boyfriend had an illness that serious. Thats sweet.

• what is tha tlike herpes

• its not contagious or an STD

• I have arthritis so I'd be a hypocrite if I said no, so yes I would date a girl with one. My only concern would be that our kids would have autoimmune issues since both parents have them.

• I say yes. From your description it doesn't sound as if it is transmittable and it can skip generations so there is a high probability that any children had in this relationship aren't automatically at risk of having this issue. I see no problem with it. That how ever doesn't guarantee compatibility.

• I think it's like 20% that her kids will have it but it's related with some other diseases too I think.

• And obviously other factors like the child's health and dads genetics.

What Girls Said 3

• I have ulcerative colitis so I would date a guy with an autoimmune disorder because we're on the same boat lol.

• Is it lupus?

• I'm sure she'll find a wonderful husband or wife. Tell her not to worry. My sister's friend has an autoimmune disorder and she's the sweetest, kindest girl. If someone has a problem with your sister's disorder, then they don't deserve her.