What does it mean if my boyfriend gives me a diamond ring for my birthday?

My boyfriend gave me my birthday present early and it was a diamond ring. I love it but what does it mean? Seriously? Like that's what you give when you propose to someone. Why did he give it to me? And we haven't been dating that long either. I tried looking it up and it costs like 300 bucks. Like isn't that too much for a b day present?
What does it mean if my boyfriend gives me a diamond ring for my birthday?I do look cute wearing it tho.

Wait is that the finger that wedding rings are supposed to be worn on? If it is then wtf that's where he told me it's traditional to wear it.

Most Helpful Guy

• There are a few possibilities I can think of.
    1.) He is incredibly rich and has lots of money to spare. $300 to him is like $20 to the average joe. Because of this, it didn't seem like a big deal to him-- he's just filthy rich.

2.) He is trying to move things wayyyy too fast. Like this gives me the impression of neediness or over attachment. He really likes you... like *really* likes you.

3.) It was an innocent mistake. He thought, "Hey, this girl is pretty cool. I bet she really wants a diamond ring. Psssh, I think the price is worth it. She'll love it!"

I think it is a bit of 2. He *really* likes you. He probably thought it was a good idea with more expensive = more valuable = more happiness. It's just a gift in a sense, but the gift means that he is probably head over heels with you. Is the strong attraction clingy? Is it cute? Well, whether that is good or bad, I leave to you to decide.

He didn't do it in some proposing fashion, right? Just making sure you didn't accidentally accept a proposal. That'd be kinda awkward lol

• No he just said here's your b day present. And his parents are insanely rich so it is a bit of 1 too. He does act kinda clingy he also bought me kanye tickets and a plane ticket to Cali too. I like it but I do think it's too much. He acts clingy too and he's super hot which makes it more weird.

• That's probably what I'm going to do thanks!

• No prob :)

Most Helpful Girl

• Beautiful Hand and Beautiful Ring, @openthedoors. Yes, on the "Correct" One, hun.
    Start Planning When ready, now that Everything is Right.
    Good luck and Congrats and Happy Birthday!! xx

• *Diamond ring on this finger that You had accepted, is a sign that Marriage when out of school, maybe not right after graduation, but in the Future with Him, a so-called "SO."xx

• Get on the same page and have a talk about the ring, your own expectations and which finger. xx

• Thank you for the Vote of Confidence. xx

What Guys Said 18

• That ring is really nice and pretty. It's a nice gift and happy birthday 🎁 πŸŽ‚. Maybe he just looked at it as a gift only. I think he wanted to impress you by getting you something nice.

• I think @dangerdoge has it with number (1) and he might see it like as a commitment/promise gift (being exclusive etc) - I doubt he knows the significance of the wedding finger - He probably things it is like a Claddagh ring for the Irish, if you wear a Claddagh ring with heart pointed inward, it means your heart belongs to somebody. If it is pointed outwards it means you are looking for love - Overall I guessing he is trying to be nice just being a bit too expansive.
    www.uctuk.net/.../Claddagh-Ring-RS337-BB2.jpg

• It means the guy's an idiot.

• You are a fool to wear it on your fingers so early in your dating game. Just remove it and keep it aside. You don't know the significance of wearing it over there. He wants to run a sprint in a marathon. And will not survive in the long endurance race , if he tries to run too fast.

• I mean he spent a lot of money on it so I can't not wear it I think that would not be nice to him.

• It literally doesn't make a difference to me if I wear it or don't wear it. I just don't want him to think that I'm throwing away his beautiful gift. I just wanna tell him that I don't want too much in our relationship yet.

• Yes , it would be a good idea.

• Jesus... you and your boyfriend are ballin for high school... $300 diamond ring? Fuck that, that watch had to be at least $500

• You've been dating for two weeks and he gets you a diamond ring.
    Then you need to LEAVE HIM.
    He is getting really attached way too quickly

• 2 weeks of dating, buys you a diamond ring, tells you to put it on your left ring finger, and you're moving out of state for school... do you have running shoes on? If so, use them.

• La I was thinking about pullin a usain bolt out of that relationship but I don't know what if his intentions were nice he is a nice dude

• Oh ok, so he probably has a nice allowance. As long as they're good people and this isn't a way of trying to get you with gifts or the whole marriage concern then you might be alright lol

• He's a nice person. He's Catholic (like me) and is waiting for marriage so he isn't trying to get into my pants. I really like him so I don't want to end things on a big misunderstanding.

• Well, you always seemed like an expensive girl to me.. so I guess it's normal xD

• That sounded bad, I meant high-maintenance.

• @SarahsSummer Expensive sounded like an item to be bought :o
      I guess relative to that, :D it is better πŸ˜‚

• by the way, is the whole thing a diamond? Sounds way too cheap :o They are usually very small and very expensive :o

• He probably is aware of how materialistic you are so he wants to try to keep you happy.

• $300?

• He 100% forgot to buy a present

• It means that he wanted to see you happy πŸ˜‚
    Don't think much
    Chill
    Is that your hand?

• Your update me me laugh out loud so bad πŸ˜‚
    It looks like you're engaged xDD πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

• You engaged

• it's just a gift... Nothing special

• He wants you more than a girlfriend i guess, a proposal should be on its way i think!

• We've been dating for 2 weeks

• i personally think that 4 to 6 months are enough to judge a guy but i'm not saying that you should marry him with in half a year or so, if he truly loves you he'll wait for you simple as that!

• I'm not gonna get married in high school I have a career to worry about and so much to think about this is crazy.

• poor beta guy. some dude probably fucked her behind a parking with just a pepsi and chips... .

• It's just a gift I wouldn't think anything of it

What Girls Said 12

• Ummmmm yes that's the wedding finger and if he told you that's the traditional finger to wear it on you might be in for more than you thought...

• The symbolism of it needs to be discussed. If you aren't planning on being a teenage bride, I think you might consider returning it to him. And that's beside the fact that it's a really expensive gift from a teenager.

• Congrats on the engagement!

• That's kind of weird... But I'd keep it because I like diamond rings!

• Probs a proposal

• After 2 weeks of dating?

• Thinks he's slick by giving you a diamond ring and telling you to put it on your ring finger, I don't know what his intentions are but you should clear things up

• I'm def gonna clear this up I'm not gonna be his fiancΓ©e in high school this is just wrong

• I guess he like you and his way is showing that is by spending 300 dollars apparently...
    πŸ˜…πŸ˜…
    Or the paranoia option:
    He feels guilty for doing something and he tries to "make it up".

But I would go with the first option.

• Umm I don't know but it looks nice

• Prob a promise ring? Even if not, it shows he cares and wants you to wear pretty things.

• He told you to wear it on that finger? Girl you're screwed πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

• Maybe he has a lot of money and feels good when showing it off. And he probably also wants to make you happy and thought you'd like a nice expensive jewel like most girls

• But after just two weeks?

• @thissiteisforpervs I've seen rich people with that kind of behavior. They feel powerful when they spend their money and think the other person will think highly of them after that. It's crazy though, I wouldn't except this kind of gift even after two years, thinking it's not an engagement ring, he can't be THAT crazy

• you're getting married

• I thought the ring finger on the left hand was only for wedding rings?