Dating an ROTC guy: a good or bad idea?

So I recently met this really nice guy in my college psych class. We went on a few dates and he's really chivalrous and a great person in general. He's also in ROTC. when I mentioned that to a few of my friends, they kind of acted like it was a bad thing. Is there a negative connotation with being in ROTC that I'm unaware of? He tells me about how it helps bring discipline to his life and I'd rather be with a disciplined and principled guy than with the average dude.

Most Helpful Guy

• Well I do ROTC in college, what kind of reaction did your friends give you ?

• kind of a similar response to martyfellow's response (it's the one on the bottom). basically that they're not relationship-material type of guys. I think it's because they've never really met ROTC guys.

• I respect you. Those are good standards to hold a woman up to.

• Haha why thank you question asker,

What Guys Said 5

• The military breeds certain personality traits that usually are bad in relationships. Sure he comes out with the discipline and all that, but the military inculcates disrespect for women in general Listen to your friends about this.

• Disrespect for women? How so?

• The whole fact you attribute "Communism" with the looks of women proves you know nothing about the system. And if you look at the history of Communism (particularly under Mao Ze Dong) you would see that it has led to the deaths of a lot of those women you drool over. Not only that, but the answers you have posted on some of the questions are profoundly ignorant. An army isn't meant to "destroy and conquer" it is to protect a nation, its people, and interests (at least in the west).

• Drool, drool, drool!

• Think about it, he wants to be a man the correct way. He wants something out of life. If you don't want him a woman in a foreign land will see his alliance for what it is.

Good luck

• Don't listen to the people saying that his military background and "overly-disciplined mind" are going to one day backfire on you. Just being in the ROTC does not mean that he'll eventually become disrespectful. If he does, it could be due to a number of reasons. But either way, if you can tell that he's a genuinely nice guy, and he continues to be nothing but, I say go for it.

• being a ROTC member doesn't mean anything lol their personality is self made and nobody should judge a group of people just because of a few bad people

• There's nothing wrong with ROTC at all, its simply what he's stated to you nothing more. Though I guess the negativity your hear about it come from bitter men who have been cheated on in the millitary.

• The negativity came from girls I know. But then again, none of them have actually known ROTC guys well.

What Girls Said 0