Gamer Culture: Western Vs Eastern RPGs

Western RPGs are very non-linear, gritty, violent, Hyper-realistic games with larger than life storylines and characters.

10 Best examples of the Western RPG (in my opinion)...

1. Dragon Age SeriesGamer Culture: Western Vs Eastern RPGs

High Fantasy Action RPG

Developer: Bioware/EA

2. Mass Effect Series

Deep space Action RPG

Developer: Bioware/EA

3. Star Wars: KOTOR

Deep space/Franchise Action RPG

Developer: Bioware

4. Jade Empire

Action RPG

Developer: Bioware

5. Fable Series

Developer: Lionhead Studios

6. Fallout Series

Bethesda/ Obsidian

7. The Elder Scrolls Series

Developers: Bethesda Softworks/4J Studios

8. Baldur's Gate (Especially part 2!)

Bioware

9. The Witcher series

Projekt RED

10. Diablo series

Blizzard North

JRPGs are known for very vibrant colors, Larger than life storylines and boss fights, very memorable and quirky characters, And plenty of weirdness thrown in.

10 best examples of Eastern RPGS out there (In my opinion).

1. Final Fantasy series

Developer: Square/Enix

2. Breath of fire series

Developer: Capcom

3. Suikoden series

4. Grandia Series

5. The Legend of Zelda Series

6. The Chrono Series

Square/Enix

7. Lunar Series (Especially Eternal Blue!)

8. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars

Squaresoft

9. Kingdom Hearts Series

Square/Enix

10. Mana Series

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 4

• I've only played Dragon Age

• I see some of my favorites here, especially Final Fantasy and The Witcher, cool mytake :)

• The Mana art is so cute :3

Love The Witcher 3 <3 <3 <3 it can get anyone into gaming, it's da bomb. com

• Seiken Densetsu!
      Secret of Mana is still one of my favorite games!
      And the Witcher is epic in ways I can't believe <3

• The game play is awesome. You can use so many potions and weapons and kinda improvise to kill the monsters and use your creativity, i like it.

• @iAMNirvana yasss, I love using the crossbow just to mess with things. (what was that?)

• I have played any of those games, but my favorite eastern RPG is Dragon Quest.

What Guys Said 16

• I was once heavy into RPGs back during the golden age of JRPGs on the original PlayStation, so I have a soft spot for the Final Fantasy, Suikoden, Grandia, Wild ARMs, Lunar, Legaia, and Chrono franchises. It's just too bad how far Final Fantasy has fallen... absolutely heartbreaking. :( I still say FFVII is the greatest RPG of all time and one of the greatest games ever as well.

There are certain WRPGs I really like, too. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt was my absolute favorite game of the current generation until Uncharted 4 came out, and I loved Diablo III, Dragon Age, Baldurs Gate, etc.

The problem today is that JRPGs have really declined in terms of quality; they've fallen well behind the curve and it's really unfortunate. The recently released new Star Ocean is an example of that (and Star Ocean: The 2nd Story is in my top 5 RPGs of all time list). One of my biggest pet peeves about the entire mess is the stigma that turn-based RPGs had: People call the mechanic archaic and outdated but that has NEVER been true. It's just different. And it encourages strategy, timing, tact, etc; now, just about all RPGs, Japanese and Western, are all real-time. Some of the most unique and innovative combat systems in RPG history have come from turn-based games, damnit.

That's why I can't wait for I Am Setsuna this month. ;)

• Oh, one minor pet peeve: The Legend of Zelda is NOT and never has been, a role-playing game. It's action/adventure.

• Yeah, I know JRPGs have fallen real far and that's why i couldn't think of any new ones to put on there.
      But, Those are the game I grew up playing. And I had to put Legend of Zelda n there.

• 0|1
  • Western RPGS (well, all games in general) are better. Just The Witcher 3 destroys any other JRPG.

• I've played and beaten all of those except the Kingdom Hearts series. I played it once and sent it back to Gamefly. Kingdom Hearts did not live up to the hype and it was just childish.

• final fantasy got stupid.

the first three were a lot of fun.

• Fallout/Skyrim, Persona, Dark Souls, Monster Hunter are my picks.
    I don't really like the mainstream games much anymore.
    Especially from Bioware, I personally think they make horrible, uninteresting games.

But I guess I prefer gameplay over garbage story telling, so there is that.

• Paradise ;_;

• Nice post but where is dark souls?
    Love The Witcher 3 for its massive open world.

• I have never played Dark Souls, Dragon's Dogma , Or Deux ex.

• Ahh I've never played fallout. I recommend playing dark souls 3. I haven't played last dark souls versions but this new one is awesome.

• 1st: Castlevania. I mean, even if you don't like it, it's one of the original games of Western RPG, influencing design even today.
    2nd: Dark Cloud. Underrated RPG is underrated.
    3rd: Pokemon.
    4th: The Mother Series. If you want to include any RPG from Nintendo, you have to include the Mother series.

• I don't consider eastern RPGs to be true RPGs. Sure it revolves around story but just having a story centered game doesn't make it a true RPG. Eastern RPGs tend to have no element of expression. Usually in eastern RPGs, the player is given very little room to make themselves the hero, to shape their own destiny, to project their desires and personalities into the game. THAT is what makes a true RPG.

• The closest they came was Final Fantasy tactics, Ogre tactics, And maybe ogre battle. Not sure if those are true rpgs though.

• Oh, western RPG are aimed at mature audiences like 24-35+ while JRPG are aimed at teenagers.

• western rpg is more awesome

• Another great Take about video games... I like both western and eastern RPGs.
    My favorite western RPGs are: Dragon Age, Diablo, The Witcher, Jade Empire and Darkstone.
    My favorite eastern RPGs are: Final Fantasy, The Legend Of Zelda, Kingdom Hearts, Suikoden and Lunar.

• Interesting mytake, I like those games...

• Why no Persona series? The hell is wrong with you?

• KOTOR was my game back in the day.

Rediscovered Mass Effect as well