My Favourite Military Marching Songs

This myTake was inspired by @Phoenix98 who wrote a myTake on Classical Music.

Military marches are usually performed by military bands for a variety of reasons such as special events, military review, public relations, troop entertainment and to boost morale.

1812 Overture by Tchaikovsky

This is one of the most famous military marches of all time so it deserved to be mentioned first. It was written to commemorate Russia's victory over Napoleon's invasion and had its debut in Moscow on August 20, 1882.

Der Königgrätzer Marsch

This march was composed in 1866 by Johann Gottfried Piefke in commemoration of the Battle of Königgrätz, the decisive battle of the Austro-Prussian War, in which the Kingdom of Prussia defeated the Austrian Empire

British Grenadiers March

The exact origins of this march are unknown but it appears to be very popular amongst the British as well as Canadian armed forces.

The Stars and Stripes Forever

This is the official National March of the USA. It was composed by John Phillip Sousa in 1896.

Coburger Marsch

This is an Austrian military march composed by Michael Haydn.

On Guard for Peace

It was very difficult to pick just one Soviet march that is worthy of mention since there are so many great ones. This march is called On Guard for Peace it was composed by Boris Diev in 1966.

I hope you enjoyed this myTake.

Have a nice day :)

QuestionMan is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

What Girls Said 3

I have always LOVED 1812 Overture by Tchaikovsky! ^^

Fucking John Phillip Sousa I hate that dude and all the songs he's made! Being in band when I was in high school has made me dislike him greatly.

I guess playing the song takes the pleasure out of hearing it.
      When I used to play Fur Elise by Beethoven it got really annoying.

Tchaikovsky <3

Great choices!

What Guys Said 13