5 Useless Olympic Sports: Seriously, Why Bother?

*Disclaimer: I don't mean to offend anyone, this is a personal opinion.

This is a list of all the sports I think, although difficult to accomplish, are kind of pointless.

1) Archery

Useless Olympic Sports (Why Bother?)

Sure, it's hard to do and might be a fun hobby, but what are you going to get out of it? You win a medal and then what? Nobody cares and you can't really make a career out of it, so why bother?

2) Kayaking

Not just kayaking, but any event similar (I.E. Canoeing, Rowing, Sailing), is just redundant. How are you going to make money from it? A career? Become well known? You essentially gain nothing.

3) Fencing

Okay, you've got a gold medal in fencing, now what? Are you going to make a living by stabbing people and taking their money? Because I doubt you can do much else with it.

4) Synchronized Swimming

Who the f*ck spends their entire life trying to be the worlds best synchronized swimmer?

5) Pole Vaulting

WHY? WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO WITH THE ABILITY TO FLIP YOURSELF OVER A POLE WITH ANOTHER POLE? It looks incredibly difficult, I'll give them that, but why? What are you going to do with a Gold in that?

So there you have it, a slight rant about Olympic events that I think are pointless.

*Let me know what events you think are pointless are in the comments*

MissMc3 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 12

I'm not bad at archery actually.

I disagree with archery - you admit it's difficulty level but your argument is based on you can't make a career out of it afterwards.
    That's not how an Olympic sport is measured. They don't look at if an athlete can compete as a professional afterwards or not. And with that argument, wouldn't we also eliminate most collegiate sport programs? They don't have the chance for professional achievement either. They are similar.
    I respectfully disagree with your reasoning. If you would like to remove the sport I think a better conclusion would be required.

In that case, the only practical sports are fighting sports (mostly wrestling), track and swimming. There is literally lo practical application for soccer, or tennis, or gymnastics or even basketball. I'm fact, all the sports you mentioned have way more practicality than those besides maybe synchronized swimming. Also fencing is in really high demand so at the very least an above average fencer could get a full ride scholarship

No mostly boxing

@Tank2 ok, t 👌

And if you're a very good high school rower who's also smart, you could parlay your athletic ability into millions the old fashioned way, i. e. by getting recruited by an Ivy League school and then heading off to Wall Street to get rich using your brains instead of your brawn :)

why not swimming and gymnastics?

Though I do agree that there are some useless ones, I disagree with the first 3.

I mean archery, 1000 years ago was today's snipers, missiles etc. It was the most important weapon.

I never understood that sport with shooting something in the air, like a plate. Pointless to me.

Yeah, maybe it was useful 3000 years ago, what does that have to do with the use it has now?

You think because I'm Canadian I don't know that nobody hunts for food with a bow and arrow anymore?

We're not talking about the fuckin boonies in Africa, this is civilized society and nobody sees their steak before it stops breathing

? ok😕😟

You completely missed the whole point of competitive Olympic sport

You're completely wrong. The first three are factually the coolest Olympic sports.

Very simple answer, money and fame. You get 50,000 dollars for winning a gold medal and interviews, endorsements and a free trip. Also get to compete with the best of your craft

this can be said of almost any olympic sport. I mean what are you going to do with a gold in the 10,000m pretty pointless? /s

Well there are certain things, like swimming obviously does well for the men because they become popular through social media and get modelling and advertisement deals, the boxing is also useful because whoever does well gets targeted by professional promoters and therefore jumpstarts a professional career.

@levantine99 I thought you were done with your nonsense?

wow, still going at it? not tired of adhominems?
      you are welcome by the way. i'm certain our interaction benefitied you in certain ways, gave you new perspectives, and developed your maturity by a tiny bit... .

archery is far from useless, i have a bow and sometimes i do archery

How is it useful? Do you hunt for your food with it?

How exactly is archery useless?

she should be a human living 10000 years ago. or even some centuries ago. we'd see then how "useless" would seem to her a practice that helped us survive and thrive as a civilization. if it werent for bows we wouldn't even be here right now talking through that computer.

Sure ya do

I'm not arguing with a child about what I do and don't do

Sports are useless for those who don't participate themselves but do the kibitzing in the stadium or in front the television , with beer and chips.

What Girls Said 6

You're focusing on the need to do something financially successful...

Sports are not financially successful. Except major league football/baseball/basketball.

Swimming? No.
    Equestrian? No.
    Track and field? No.
    Gymnastics? No.

But that's not the point of sports. They all get sponsors and commercial deals.

And when they retire? They get paid to be spokespersons and are more likely to be hired as judges and coaches.

And those are jobs that pay.

So... take the focus off money for a hot second and enjoy it for what it is. A sport. The point of sports is exercise. And these people are fit af.

But you can't even make it onto those teams so why be salty

all worth while. walking as a sport is such bull whats next airguitar

None of these are pointless. No sport is pointless... They worked hard to become the best at it..

although you completely direcard the history and culture behind these sports and the significance they carry. plus since you are completely unfamiliar you overlook all the intricacies that make them great sports for those who know their craft.

I'm not saying they don't take talent, I'm saying they're useless skills that won't aid them in any way. What does shooting an arrow pay per week?

I dont see how any of these are any more useless than all other disciplines. They all require tremendous talent and hard work

For what though? With other sports you can become successful and make money from it (soccer, judo (mma), gymnastics), how are you going to make money from flinging yourself over a pole?

I dont know contests, betting etc