5 Useless Olympic Sports: Seriously, Why Bother?

MissMc3

*Disclaimer: I don't mean to offend anyone, this is a personal opinion.

This is a list of all the sports I think, although difficult to accomplish, are kind of pointless.

1) Archery

Useless Olympic Sports (Why Bother?)

Sure, it's hard to do and might be a fun hobby, but what are you going to get out of it? You win a medal and then what? Nobody cares and you can't really make a career out of it, so why bother?

2) Kayaking

Not just kayaking, but any event similar (I.E. Canoeing, Rowing, Sailing), is just redundant. How are you going to make money from it? A career? Become well known? You essentially gain nothing.

3) Fencing

Okay, you've got a gold medal in fencing, now what? Are you going to make a living by stabbing people and taking their money? Because I doubt you can do much else with it.

4) Synchronized Swimming

Who the f*ck spends their entire life trying to be the worlds best synchronized swimmer?

5) Pole Vaulting

WHY? WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO WITH THE ABILITY TO FLIP YOURSELF OVER A POLE WITH ANOTHER POLE? It looks incredibly difficult, I'll give them that, but why? What are you going to do with a Gold in that?

So there you have it, a slight rant about Olympic events that I think are pointless.

*Let me know what events you think are pointless are in the comments*

13
7
7Girl Opinion
13Guy Opinion

Most Helpful Girl

• Prettygurl12
    You're focusing on the need to do something financially successful...

Sports are not financially successful. Except major league football/baseball/basketball.

Swimming? No.
    Equestrian? No.
    Track and field? No.
    Gymnastics? No.

But that's not the point of sports. They all get sponsors and commercial deals.

And when they retire? They get paid to be spokespersons and are more likely to be hired as judges and coaches.

And those are jobs that pay.

So... take the focus off money for a hot second and enjoy it for what it is. A sport. The point of sports is exercise. And these people are fit af.
    Is this still revelant?

Most Helpful Guy

• Waffles731
    I'm not bad at archery actually.
    Is this still revelant?

Scroll Down to Read Other Opinions

612
  • Emmdk
    I dont see how any of these are any more useless than all other disciplines. They all require tremendous talent and hard work
    • MissMc3

For what though? With other sports you can become successful and make money from it (soccer, judo (mma), gymnastics), how are you going to make money from flinging yourself over a pole?

• Emmdk

I dont know contests, betting etc

• levantine99
    although you completely direcard the history and culture behind these sports and the significance they carry. plus since you are completely unfamiliar you overlook all the intricacies that make them great sports for those who know their craft.
    • MissMc3

I'm not saying they don't take talent, I'm saying they're useless skills that won't aid them in any way. What does shooting an arrow pay per week?

• Other_Tommy_Wiseau
    In that case, the only practical sports are fighting sports (mostly wrestling), track and swimming. There is literally lo practical application for soccer, or tennis, or gymnastics or even basketball. I'm fact, all the sports you mentioned have way more practicality than those besides maybe synchronized swimming. Also fencing is in really high demand so at the very least an above average fencer could get a full ride scholarship
    • Tank2

No mostly boxing

• @Tank2 boxing is not even remotely practical. 2 dudes standing in front of each other with thick gloves, no kicking and shots below the belt. And every time you hug, you get broken up. Next time I'm in a fight and stick to that tactic, I'll tell you how badly I got my ass kicked 😂

• Tank2

Boxers make way more money and they get a signing bonus for winning the olympics

• yucel_eden
    Though I do agree that there are some useless ones, I disagree with the first 3.

I mean archery, 1000 years ago was today's snipers, missiles etc. It was the most important weapon.

I never understood that sport with shooting something in the air, like a plate. Pointless to me.
    • MissMc3

Yeah, maybe it was useful 3000 years ago, what does that have to do with the use it has now?

• yucel_eden

I think you're mistake is that you see the rest of the world like Canada. Probably because you haven't travelled, at least not enough.

Apart from its historic significance in humanity and the olympics, it is still used in many places in the world, especially for hunting.

People in Africa, Asia and more commonly in South America still use the bow and arrow. Even in some undeveloped places of Alaska they still use it.

The world is more than the likes of Canada, U. K., US etc.

• MissMc3

You think because I'm Canadian I don't know that nobody hunts for food with a bow and arrow anymore?

We're not talking about the fuckin boonies in Africa, this is civilized society and nobody sees their steak before it stops breathing

• TheSpartan
    You're completely wrong. The first three are factually the coolest Olympic sports.
    • MissMc3

Jesus.

• TheSpartan

What?

• MissMc3

There are martial arts, rugby, and BMXing and you think kayaking is the coolest sport.

• JenSCDC
    What's useless is spending the time reading the opinion of someone who's clueless.
  • Thatguy321
    Very simple answer, money and fame. You get 50,000 dollars for winning a gold medal and interviews, endorsements and a free trip. Also get to compete with the best of your craft
  • enis_Penvy
    I disagree with archery - you admit it's difficulty level but your argument is based on you can't make a career out of it afterwards.
    That's not how an Olympic sport is measured. They don't look at if an athlete can compete as a professional afterwards or not. And with that argument, wouldn't we also eliminate most collegiate sport programs? They don't have the chance for professional achievement either. They are similar.
    I respectfully disagree with your reasoning. If you would like to remove the sport I think a better conclusion would be required.
  • Spermdumster666
    all worth while. walking as a sport is such bull whats next airguitar
  • Josht13
    this can be said of almost any olympic sport. I mean what are you going to do with a gold in the 10,000m pretty pointless? /s
    • MissMc3

Well there are certain things, like swimming obviously does well for the men because they become popular through social media and get modelling and advertisement deals, the boxing is also useful because whoever does well gets targeted by professional promoters and therefore jumpstarts a professional career.

• Josht13

the kayakers can sponsor the kayak people anyway a sport should be relevant just because it is the most financially rewarding that is just a popularity contest. Kayaking is actually very exciting to watch and requires great skill.

• MissMc3

You're not seeing the point. I didn't say it doesn't require skill and I didn't say nobody finds it entertaining, I said it's useless

• ZoeyMercer
    But you can't even make it onto those teams so why be salty
  • ScottSummers
    archery is far from useless, i have a bow and sometimes i do archery
    • MissMc3

How is it useful? Do you hunt for your food with it?

• abc--123
    How exactly is archery useless?
    • she should be a human living 10000 years ago. or even some centuries ago. we'd see then how "useless" would seem to her a practice that helped us survive and thrive as a civilization. if it werent for bows we wouldn't even be here right now talking through that computer.

• MissMc3

@levantine99 Funny thing is is that we don't need to hunt for food anymore 😂

• MissMc3

As for you sir, how exactly is archery useful?

• dudeman
    why not swimming and gymnastics?
    • MissMc3

I'm sure Gabby Douglas and Michael Phelps aren't having any financial problems right now

• dudeman

and? whats that got to do with anything

• Josht13

so what they are the top 1% of swimmers is the rule, if you can list off a few rich people that sport is valid.

• TwoToTooTutu2
    What financial use is any Olympic sport?
  • Anonymous
    None of these are pointless. No sport is pointless... They worked hard to become the best at it..
  • Anonymous
    You completely missed the whole point of competitive Olympic sport
  • Anonymous
    Sports are useless for those who don't participate themselves but do the kibitzing in the stadium or in front the television , with beer and chips.