Comic Book Trivia: Sensational Wonder Woman

So my last one was about Wolverine. I had promised one about Wonder Woman but it took me a while since I've been busy this week.

10. She's the oldest founding member of the Justice League.

She's thousands of years old, so this is really not surprising. She might also be older than all of the members who joined later, but I'm not entirely sure about that.

She's only 23 years old in the New 52 version though. She also seems naive and immature in this version. That's one of the reasons I dislike her New 52 version.

9. William Moulton Marston created her to be a model for liberated woman.

This might be controversial, especially with the never-ending questions and takes on GaG, but Wonder Woman was originally created as a feminist icon. She was created during a time when women didn't have the rights they do today, and his Marston's wife was an activist for women's empowerment.

And please try not to start a political debate in the comments.

8. The Lasso of Truth is a real life parallel to the polygraph.

Wanna know who created the polygraph? It was the same person who created Wonder Woman's character, William Moulton Marston. He wanted his lie detector to be used in court rooms, but they rejected the idea because of what they considered to be a high frequency of error.

He obviously wasn’t too pleased with the decision, and would later write a comic which saw Wonder Woman try to get confessions made with the help of her Lasso of Truth admissible in court.

Her lasso is also made of a special type of gold only found in Olympus and is nearly unbreakable.

7. It's been speculated that Marston was really into bondage.

It was a recurring theme during his run in the comics. Many of them would show women in chains. This was supposedly inspired by suffragists who chained themselves to buildings during protests, but Marston also hinted that he had a thing for bondage. This was the inspiration for her bracelets too.

This wasn't just limited to the comics either.

They've also been making use of this in newer comics.

Dammit Diana! Control your hormones 😜

6. She's wielded Thor's hammer in a crossover.

I already told this about Superman in the Superman take. But unlike him, she was able to do it consistently (which isn't really surprising since Wonder Woman's character is a lot like Thor's).

5. Her bracelets were created from the remains of Zeus's shield.

They're made of silver and practically impenetrable. They act as her shield.

This is different in her New 52 version though. She uses Zeus's Shield in this version and the job of her bracelets are to suppress her full power and keep them in-check.

Bonus Fact: The upcoming live action film seems to be loosely based on her New 52 version.

That would explain why she has a shield. I'm not a fan of her New 52 version but I'm excited for the movie regardless ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4. Her tiara is sharp enough to cut Superman.

3. She gets her powers from Greek Gods, especially Aphrodite who created the Amazons.

2. She's the most iconic female superhero till now.

The word “iconic” is thrown around a lot in regards to these larger than life characters, but Wonder Woman is one of the few who actually fit that description.

1. She might have saved DC Comics.

Possible comparisons (even though they were mostly unfounded) between Superman and the Nazis caused problems for DC Comics with parents, leading them to rethink which characters they should actually be focusing on.

After Superman publisher M.C. Gaines read an article which argued that reading about superheroes might actually be good for children, he turned to William Moulton Marston for assistance in helping him save comic books. He recommended a female superhero to try and counter the violence and lack of femininity in them, and Wonder Woman was born.

I'm finally glad that she's getting her own movie. I loved Gal Gadot's portrayal in Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice and I'm excited for her solo film :D

I'm currently writing about Flash and Hulk. I'll post the one that I finish first :)

#ComicBookTrivia #LTComicTakes

LadyTerror is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 20

Really, I'm far more excited for Jessica Jones Season 2 than the Wonder Woman movie

That'll probably be out after season one of Defenders though

I think its Iron fist, then the defenders, then Jessica Jones season 2

Yeah but why does she have to dress in such a revealing way?
    Before anyone says "she feels confident enough that she doesn't have to shy away from showing skin" - but the same could be said about most male superheroes - the majority (if not all of them) tend to be really confident and yet they don't make it a point to show off all the time. I mean, skin-tight suits area lready enough.

Yeah I've wondered about that too, especially since she's supposed to be a warrior. Some more light armor wouldn't hurt

That's actually my favorite outfit of hers. Not necessarily because she's more covered up, but I just think it looks badass. I love how her bracelets look :D

It indeed is badass.

Fun fact in the new movie in addition to having the shield she also has the gauntlets to which deflect stuff and keep her safe same as they did in the comics.

Yeah but in the new 52, her bracelets are much weaker and there was this time when even bullets penetrated it. I'm not sure how strong they are in the movies

@dissolute_dog I guess we'll have to find out lol

In the superman movie they deflected doomsday's energy attack without trouble, and they can create shockwaves. Her shield can also withstand attacks him to easily as she states that she's killed things far stronger then him.

In her movie she uses them and her shield to deflect gunfire.

Marsden wasn't suspected to be into bondage, he was. He even had a polyamourus relationship with his wife and a second woman (all of them together) and was convinced the only way to ge the truth was to be tied up and restrained it was when people where free to be themselves or something like that. Never liked it when they push the whole feminism thing for wonder woman. The whole man hating and domineering of men gets old fast. Though to be fair I have not really read to much wonder woman comics so maybe its not that common.

Yeah I knew about the polyamorous relationship but wasn't sure about the bondage part.

And no Diana actually respects men.

Must be side stuff, or what not then. I didn't think it was common, plus kind of sensitive to that anyway.(I think it might have been one of the animated movies.) Never read any of the early stuff I just know marsden was into some weird shit so I kind of kept my distance. Besides I'm more of a lobo fan :D (which you should absolutely do a take on, or static/milestone comics in general.). Also good take as usual.

Eh, Kitana from Mortal Kombat is even older (10 000 years), but they are both very attractive & badass, that's what counts, flawless article.

Wonderful trivia, and if I might add another, Batman said that Wonder Woman is the best melee fighter in the world.

This is also true

In my opinion, Xena is even better melee fighter, but Wonder Woman is physically stronger & faster, sure, Xena can fight Hercules too, but Wonder Woman is even stronger than him, and more powerful.

@WoodChopper well this was about the DC Universe though :P But yeah Xena is one of the best fighters

What is the New 52 version?

My friend's son met Gal Gadot. He works for DC. It's his dream job. Any rate, he said she is like a goddess who lights up any room she enters.

I confess I find a dark eyed Wonder Woman much more attractive than a blue eyed WW.

Another friend of mine met Linda Carter at a Dodger game. She's met everybody.

Does DC ever mention how far Krypton is from Earth? It is possible that Superman is older than WW, chronologically relative to Earth and Krypton.

P. S., What is she doing messing around with George Washington?

New 52 was more like a reboot that most fans didn't like.

That's awesome! Looks like you know quite a few people who like the character.

I'm not sure how far Krypton is. It's possible he might be really old too.

She was friends with George Washington. That isn't him in the pic though. It's a fake and she recognized it.

Who created the fake George Washington and why?

I think it's stupid to have her fight in a war like the new movie seems to want.
    I mean, in the original comic her whole mission was to spread peace.

Well she did fight in the second world war in the golden age version.

Yeah there have been many different versions of her origin. And I had to just pick 10 so I hand picked a few lol

Well, she has done some pretty crazy stuff, so yeah.

She can chain me anytime :P

Do. Not. Piss off that woman...

The shield looks cool. Isn't she bullet proof, why the need for the bracelets?

She's actually not. Her durability works in weird ways. She can survive in really hot temperatures and has also survived a nuclear explosions, but she's vulnerable to bullets and sharp objects.

That sounds really confusing.

Yeah it does lol

The last comic strip, in point no. 7, with that black guy.. Oh my gawwwddd it's so damn hot, which issue is this?

Finally, the greatest of all superheroines, outstanding Take :D
    Her fighting skills are superior (compared to Superman, Hulk, Spider-Man etc).
    I suppose Marston wasn't aware that stereotypical Amazon looks more like Artemis, rather than Aphrodite... but I share his affinity towards strong and dominant women ;)

huge fan
    i wish they make her with batman

I would let Wonder Woman have her way with me any day!

That's my kind of girl, cool trivia, bravo!

Great take!

And I laughed at that picture of Lynda Carter -- nice find with that one. :D

Also, great point on #2; it's a very noteworthy and pathetic fact in cinema history that this character hasn't gotten her big-screen movie until now, after decades of false starts and failed attempts. xD Worldwide name/image recognition for her is extremely high. It's almost like if Superman himself never got a movie until after a gazillion Batman movies... and even after Guardians of the Galaxy, lol!

It's definitely my most anticipated movie of next year! :D But I hope Warner Bros/DC doesn't chicken out of going "all the way" with its drama, because of the bad reviews for "Batman v Superman". I saw a lot of compromises made in the final product of "Suicide Squad" that really felt like last-minute kneejerk reactions to the bad reception of "Batman v Superman", and I didn't like them at all. I really hope "Wonder Woman" is allowed to go all the way with its story. :/ For goodness' sake, it's about a war where the whole world was shocked by how destructive it could be on a massive scale, and we know in this movie version already that she ended up losing faith and leaving Man's World for 100 years. If they try to make it too jokey and soft, I will not be happy. xD

I agree. I haven't seen Suicide Squad yet but I've heard that they cut out a lot of scenes, especially with the Joker. There's a deleted scene where he actually slaps Harley in the face but the movie made their relationship seem romantic. That's really shitty

That sounds cringy lol. Was it at least enjoyable or just not worth watching?

It's definitely worth watching, despite its flaws! :) It had its moments. I would say the best bits for me were some fun connections to the greater continuity with Batman and The Flash, and some surprisingly dramatic moments about The Enchantress and also El Diablo. And there were a few little moments where I felt just how cool it was that Harley Quinn was on the big screen, too. xD

Honestly though, it was overall one of the sloppiest movies I've seen in recent memory, haha, so unless you would see it in theaters with some good company --- as like a fun night out type of thing --- then you're better off just waiting to rent it on DVD. xD The poor editing and direction really hurt this movie the most; even some jokes fell flat because of it. And the cinematography was also definitely a step down from the cinematography of "Batman v Superman". At least the visual style in the "Wonder Woman" movie is looking pretty. xD

Awesome, she is my favorite female superhero, but damn, I never knew she is 5000 years old

Great take - Lots of stuff I didn't know in there

Bonus:

Only Slade Wilson had the balls to call her obsolete and predictable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkzMRgwiDxw

Yeah its the video game and not in an actual comic.. Who cares, its Slade Wilson!

What Girls Said 13

• 2h

5Good post

I adore Wonder Woman. Having grown up with three older brother who are big in the genre the only character I related to was her. She was beautiful , intelligent, strong, she could do what the men could do and often times better. She did everything with an elegance and poise that just screamed "she's the epitome of a lady". I've held on to that fascination with her all my life (I even have her WW symbol interlocked in a heart tattooed on my bikini line just above my left leg in my pubic area - only my husband gets to see it 😜).
    I even have a Wonder Woman costume I wear for - um, (coughs) special occasions 😬. Too bad she's not real we could use her for President lol

When I was a kid, I never played with Barbie dolls, but with Wonder Woman action figures, I love this comic book trivia 👌

www.entertainmentearth.com/.../MTM5709lg.jpg

Ah, the Wonder Woman, my role model 😇

Kudos, she rules, Wonder Woman is so much cooler than Superman or most of the other male superheroes.

Wonder Woman is an inspiration to every proud feminist (not a feminazi).

media.tenor.co/.../raw

In today's edition of "news that will not shock you even one little tiny bit", I LOVE Wonder Woman.

Hm... so I guess Asgard can be ruled by a bondage queen... wonder how Loki feels about that. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Very cool mytake, if I might add, she is also the first female superhero in the comics.

Very fine article, I reckon that Gal Gadot proved to be even better Wonder Woman than Lynda Carter.

Oh yeah, girl power, fantastic myTake, Wonder Woman is the best, keep it up 😎👍

Wow, that's interesting, she is strong enough to wield Thor's hammer.
    In the original Greek mythology, Amazons were daughters of Ares (God of War), not Aphrodite (Goddess of Love).
    I'm also very excited about the movie, I hope Gal Gadot will be as good as she was in Batman vs Superman.

Not exactly because she's strong. It's because she's worthy. It's kinda different from the mythology.

And yeah Ares does exist but he's not exactly related to them in the comics.

True, and Hulks strength is arguably limitless.

@MrMysteryMan Yes, that's true.

Wow! Wonder Woman is even more of a badass than I thought!