5 Interesting Disney Princess Facts You Probably Didn't Know

Too many Takes on this site are about the election, racism, BLM, relationships, or some form of body acceptance or shaming. So I want to switch it up a bit and talk Disney.

Honestly, I’m not a Disney person myself, not since “The Princess and The Frog”, but I do like looking up interesting facts about nearly anything I can think of. So I decided to share some interesting Disney Princess facts that I learned over the years with you guys. Let me know what you think.

Also, keep in mind, this lit only includes the official princesses inducted by Disney themselves, which means Anna and Elsa are not taken into consideration. If they were inducted, I couldn't find any information on it.

1. Beyonce Didn’t Audition For Tiana, But Expected The Part Anyway

This is NOT a joke. The Disney film “The Princess and The Frog” may not have gained a lot of traction in general, but it did in the black communities, and that includes black celebrities. Terrance Howard, Jenifer Lewis, and even Oprah Winfrey are some of the big names behind the film.

But did you know that Beyonce “Queen Bey” Knowles REFUSED to audition for the lead part, Tiana, but still expected them to just offer it to her? Seriously. Meanwhile, Alicia Keys auditioned 3 times, Tyra Banks auditioned to a CD, and Jennifer Hudson even gave it a shot. None got it. And Beyonce was NOT happy that it was not offered to her.

To add salt to the wound of Beyonce, the part was given to Anika Noni Rose, the back-up co-star in the 2006 film “Dreamgirls” behind Beyonce and Jennifer Hudson, both whom wanted the role of Tiana. You can hear Rose's voice during Tiana's iconic number, "Almost There."

Tiana is also the only Disney princess to be voiced by an African American woman.

2. Ariel Should Technically Die At The End Of The Film

“The Little Mermaid” is absolutely nothing like the Hans Christian Anderson version of which it is based. First of all, Ariel isn’t 16 at the start, she’s 10, and has 5 elder sisters. In the story, it’s explained that each mermaid is a year apart and on their 15th birthday, they are allowed to go to the surface and view the human world. However, her sisters grew bored of it easily. In the movie, going to the surface is forbidden.

On her 15th birthday, she goes to the surface, hears songs from a nearby ship, and sees the Prince. Just like in the movie, she does have to rescue the prince from an accident at sea. Ariel (who in the story actually doesn’t have a name) learns from her grandmother that mermaids can live up to 300 years and then turn to seafoam while humans live shorter but their souls ascend to heaven.

The mermaid asks the sea witch for a human soul, not a human form. The sea witch cuts out her tongue, gives her legs (by the way, walking feels like stepping on knives) and she has to marry the Prince.

The story ends two different ways. The sea witch casts a love spell on the prince and marries him herself, resulting in the mermaid turning into seafoam on the third day. The other is the prince marries a real princess and the only way for her to save her soul is to kill the prince. She ends up killing herself instead by throwing herself into the sea and becoming an ethereal being.

3. Mulan And Pocahontas Are The Only Disney Princesses That Aren’t Really Princesses

While Pocahontas is the daughter of an Indian chief, she’s not -really- a princess. Native American tribes didn’t have them and that includes the Powhatan Tribe of Pocahontas is from. The idea of an Indian Princess is actually racist as the term was developed in order to modernize the Indian culture and implement European traditions into it, so the idea of Pocahontas being a Disney Princess is technically racist and culturally insensitive, although no one really cares.

Mulan was never any type of royalty and didn’t marry a prince, yet the two of them are officially inducted into the Disney Princess lineup.

4. Jasmine Is The First Princess To Have A Less Significant Role Than Her Male Counterpart

The film “Aladdin” really had nothing to do with Jasmine and everything to do with the pauper himself, making Jasmine a deuteragonist. It was, instead, focused on a street rat trying to impress a girl, make a better life for himself, and free his new found Genie friend of his literal and figurative shackles.

The only Disney Princess that comes close to Jasmine would be Princess Aurora as she was asleep throughout her entire movie. However, the overall plot was focused on her plight and thus, Jasmine is deemed the first.

5. Rapunzel Was The First Computer Animated Disney Princess Because She Had Too Much Hair

Seriously. The team had to use specific computer software to animated Rapunzel because no one had ever animated that much hair before.

There you go. Just some fun facts I felt like laying out. This Take was actually kind of fun…I might do another Disney one again.

Elarra is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Guys Said 14

Aladdin was a good movie

True. It got you to care about a man who, to be honest, was quite terrible, trying to impress a princess who really wasn't that smart, in a culture where practically everyone is genuinely an awful human being. And yet, you walk away satisfied regardless.

@ClassicRocker That's a really good point about that movie. I didn't even think of it.

Everybody else was just like "fuck that genie, cram him in that lamp for another 1000 years for all I care" immediately after he had just fulfilled two of their greatest desires. They'd been given literally the greatest gift anyone can be given, and then immediately shat all over the giftees face just because the power dynamic was such that they were the genie's 'superior'. It's a sobering reality of the human condition, and Aladdin was the first to break that cycle.

Very creative, thank you! :)

Good take.

Nice Take,, Well done

I really liked the little mermaid bit, very interesting. Aladdin is also in my top 5 Disney movies. Great movie.

I enjoyed this take

Nice take - I know nothing about Disney but as you say at start, nice to take a break from all the heavy stuff and the arguments

That Aladdin's role in today's society is still one of the honest hero gives insight into how much cultural clout Disney has. He, however, represents a very small drop of respect in an ocean of hate.

I'd love to see Disney take another character from the Middle East and portray them in a positive light. To do so would put such a movie on par with Zootopia, and would be a testament to the staying power and social might of Disney. And, to be honest, I'd watch the shit out of that. Perhaps a retelling of the life of Cyrus the Great, to make it a Disney Royalty movie, or another stab at Sinbad. Shoot, I'd take a (peaceful) movie about Saladin or someone from that era of the Middle East.

Well, it was called "Aladdin" and not "Jasmine".

Dude's got a point

@SuitAndTie Well, the fact wasn't that that Aladdin was the main character. It's that Jasmine is the first princess to not be the main character, which is what I said.

i didn't know and don't care about these ugly princesses

For 2, most of the traditional movies weren't very pleasent or representative of the original stories

Snow White gets the shit raped out of her by a bunch of midgets
    I think sleeping beauty gets raped by Prince Charming
    Some crazy shit happens in Cinderella. I think someone's eyes get slashed
    I know some weird shit went down in the beauty and the beast
    Frozen was not even close to the original
    Technically we can document the shit that happens in Pocahontas
    I'm missing 1 😑

Now I'll have to see if I can do a similar one around my brand. It's gonna be tricky to match this quality level though.

As an Indian , I am fond of Alladin. and the Arabian Nights.

Interesting facts, very good Take :)

What Girls Said 10

Great my take! I am glad Anika Noni rose got the part of tiana, her voice is so underrated.

I'm not sure about #3 since Elsa is technically not a princess either. She's a queen. I think I can name more female protagonists that are not princesses.

In addition to #5, Tangled is also the most graphically advanced movie ever made (yes, more than Avatar too).

I only included those that are officially inducted as Disney princesses. Elsa and Anna have not been inducted yet, though I'm not sure Elsa would be. It would be interesting if she had a coronation as the first Disney queen though.

Ah okay. That would be awesome yeah!

Finally, a Disney Princess article that I actually enjoyed. Bravo.

This was cute. :) I never thought about Repunzel having too much hair. I guess that's why they switched to digital animation.

• 8d

good**

Nice take! I never knew the first fact, or the other original ending of The Little Mermaid, and I never really considered #4.
    I know you said you're not a Disney person, but if you had to pick a favourite Disney movie/character, who would it (or they) be?

Tiana by far. I just liked her in general and what she stood for.

The movie "Princess and The Frog" really wasn't all that great in my opinion. "Almost There" was the only song I liked, but honestly, Tiana the character is awesome.

Pocahontas was a better movie. You should watch it. It's really good.

I'll get on it whenever I find free-time from homework, thanks! :)

Damn... and we had Disney day at school the day you made this lol.

I love disney and I didn't know all but the last fact, however I didn't know the reasoning behind number five.

I always wondered why Mulan and Pochahantas were considered Disney Princesses...

Haha cool. I'm not a Disney fan either, but it's nice to see something different here ☺️