9 Scary Video Games You Should Play On Halloween

Have nothing to do on Halloween? Do you have no life and like horror and/or play video games? Do you like to piss yourself in the middle of the night? If you answer yes to any of these well, you have come to the right place.

Important: These games are of my personal opinion which may not match your opinion. You may ask me something like: well why is Five Night`s at Freddy`s not on the list? Well I say: Friday Night`s at Freddy`s has little to no depth in it`s scares, you get used to the jump scares over time and then it just is not fun.

1. Outlast plus the DLC

I mean what`s scarier than being trapped in a creepy insane asylum with nothing but your camera and no way to defend yourself? This game is probably the most scary modern horror game that was ever made in the last few years or more. The setting is scary and by scary I mean REALLY scary; there are some jump scares and many chase scenes, and importantly the scares and game do not get old and the story is actually good.

Also note the DLC is very good as well and arguably maybe even more scary.

2. SOMA

A very great gem in the horror industry of video games. This game's scenery is very eerie and I mean the scenery is basically the bottom of the sea, the darkest part of the earth. This game may not be all that scary but it is definitely creepy. You're in an underwater facility, the place is breaking down and you're not alone, and again a game where you cannot defend yourself, your only option is to run and hide. The game will give you the creeps no doubt. I definitely recommend this game if you're looking for a less so scary game but a creepy game with a very interesting and psychological story.

3. Amnesia

Probably one of the scariest games ever in my opinion and there are many reasons why. For one the setting is really great and very creepy, it's in an old abandoned castle. It also starts out not that scary, you don't really know who or what the enemy is. But when you go deeper into the castle it starts to get very scary and that's where the heart of the game is. This game is no doubt one of the better horror games ever made, and it gives a satisfying story. Also the game mechanics enhance the scariness as well, if you run out of oil you cannot light your lantern which means you cannot see very well and if you don't have any matches then you cannot light any torches which means your sanity will go down. I highly recommend this game.

4. Dead Space

Finally a game where you can actually defend yourself, but it doesn't make it less scary. This game is no doubt another gem in the industry. This game takes place on an almost abandoned interstellar mining ship called the USG Ishimura, besides the reanimated human corpses and some survivors. The scary thing about this game is that you`re in space, arguably one of the scariest places to be. This game`s scenery is also very scary and has many cool sci-fi elements. The story is also really well done and interesting. But most importantly the death scenes are very brutal and gory, that`s what makes the game very horrifying as well.

5. Until Dawn

A very cool and awesome horror game to play because you can choose who lives and dies through the butterfly effect the game has. The game by itself is not very scary but the setting and the isolation you go through in the game can be. You play as many characters on an isolated mountain where you choose the story you want through small and big choices. The story is great and pretty cliche but it is still fun. The lore is equally as good and makes the story even more interesting. Plus there are MANY cool surprises where the story changes and makes you wonder what is going on. Definitely a must have horror if you like games with a changing story and multiple endings.

6. F.E.A.R.

This game was definitely scary for me in my childhood, I found it really horrifying. But seriously, little children in video games is BEYOND scary. This is a game with many jump scares, sometimes too many but in the games defense it also has a very terrifying scenery which helps, unlike Five Night`s at Freddy`s. This game may not be that scary anymore but I guarantee if you play it at night, you will get the creeps and be scared. This game is definitely one of the better supernatural games. I was terrified of this game when I was young.

7. Alien Isolation

Fan of the Alien movie series? This game is great and it looks really good for a horror game, which adds to the scariness. This game is a great game because in this game you are not only hunted by an alien but hunted by robots and humans. There are so many things in this game that will scare you and the Alien`s AI is pretty unpredictable at times, which it should be. It also takes place in space and like I said, I personally think that`s one of the scarier scenery`s. Definitely recommend this one if you like the Alien movies or even if you don`t.

8. Silent Hill

A very old game and it`s hard to keep this game out of my list. It may not be INCREDIBLY scary anymore because of it`s outdated graphics but the scenery and eeriness today is still above most video games. It`s definitely a major horror classic and will forever be a classic. I mean like being covered by fog and being hunted by demon`s and other scary shit, like that`s pretty spooky if I say so myself. Definitely recommend if you enjoy classic games.

9. Silent Hill 2

I have never actually played or seen someone play this but many people can easily agree it is better than the first and Silent Hill set up an amazingly great second game. From what I know is that it`s very psychological and psychological horror can be VERY scary. I definitely recommend it if you like Silent Hill or like largely based psychological horror games.

Now you might be asking, but OP? What about Resident Evil? Or what about some other game not on the list.

Well these games are my personal favorites or just a game that is worth being on the list. Personally I'm not a fan of resident evil, but that doesn't mean it isn't scary or good. There are many other good games that aren't on my list, these are just recommended by me.

Thanks for reading :)

1422
CisScum is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• Have you ever played Alan Wake

• I have, I was debating to put it on but I never found it incredibly scary or creepy but the setting is amazing and the story is great. I kind of wish I put it on anyways though...

• Alan Wake is fantastic. Not so much full-on horror, but still great.

Sponsored

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 13

• This was a really great article! I thoroughly enjoyed reading it! I'll definitely have to check out some of those games! Also, I am a huge fan of psychological horror. That stuff is extremely terrifying to me. Ang good recommendations for a really good game like that? I also love games with a good story, but it's not needed.

• Thank you! I might make another video game inspired MyTake. But umm most psychological games are horrors these days.

• Thank you LOL, good luck and tell me how it goes :).

• Yeah np! I will for sure! 👌🏼👌🏼

• Silent hill was one of the only horror genre games id consider playing. I was a bit put out that they stopped. Was kinda looking forward to the new one pt or something.
    Another one was that photography game. Like you were in Japan and there were ghosts and shit and the only way to beat them was to capture their images. I guess its not really that scary but when I played it I was a kid and my imagination is ridiculous enough as it is so like, I was terrified of cameras for years.

• Awesome list! Silent Hill 2 is one of my favourite games. Alien is also great and pretty scary, Amnesia is a really cool and scary concept, and Outlast seriously terrifies me. I'll have to keep in mind the other ones you listed.

• YES, so glad Silent Hill 2 made #1. By far, that has been the scariest game I've played. Beat Dead Space somehow over the course of several months. I tried Outlast last year, I noped out. Haven't played the others and don't plan to tbh. I'm too much of a wimp.

• FNAF SLENDERMAN AND FNAC!!! Watch markiplier play. It's awesomeness.

• Omg where is Five Nights at Freddie's or Slender? They're fucking terrifying!

Good list tho, Alien Isolation got me so scared that I legit just consistently hid in the cupboard for the first few minutes until I got eaten.

• LOL fnaf is okay but I prefer story horrors, same with slender. I have alien isolation on steam but won't dare play it LOL.

• Really LOL, aw. Ya I'm the same, can't play horror video games without screaming.

• haha same here, I scream so bad every time slender or the alien comes onto the screen.

• Hell yes to amnesia.

• It's so scary... I remember when I played it LOL

• Um... I don't think so. I mean Alexander did kind of seduce him but not in a sexual way, Alexander told Daniel he can make the shadow go away and for all his problems to disappear. That's the main reason why Daniel followed him.

• I think people just go wild with their imagination, doubt there was homosexual undertones in an early 2000's game.

• Oh my gosh, I checked out outlast and although the characters don't look too scary, the fact that they're chasing me gets my heart going! Lol

• Omg Until Dawn and Amnesia had me scared af...

• Slenderman and Last of Us are pretty good.

• Slenderman is a pretty good indie game, Last of Us is pretty great as well.

• you didn't include emily wants to play...
    tsk tsk

• I couldn't watch Alien. I would never feel the same about having a cold again.

• LOL play the video game ;)

• No no the first person view causes a hyperrealistic kind of self-indentification with the character. That's the whole point, isn't it? ㅁ. ㅁ The most I could do were Metal Gear and Tomb Raider. Lol. I'm a fraidy cat.

• LOL ya same...

• nice,

What Guys Said 21

• Wanted to play SOMA and Amnesia but never got around to it.

Played and completed several of the F. E. A. R. games, which are basically a blend of FPS and horror, and they're pretty fun. Silent Hill 1 and 2 are still kings of the horror genre, really, and the original Dead Space was fantastic (they went more action-y with Dead Space 2, which was a mistake). And Until Dawn is actually one of my favorite games on PS4; I thought I'd loathe the teenage cast but it was really well done. And I love narrative-driven games, anyway.

Interesting that no Resident Evil title is on this list, though the series has basically tanked in recent years. The last really good one was RE4. As for Outlast... have people seen the IGN people playing Outlast 2 yet? It's SO worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjHEfynpUcM

• Was not much of a fan of resident evil too much, might be a good game to some others though. If u had to pick an older horror I'd pick any silent hill over resident evil.

Overwatch 2 will be really good though.

• I haven't played any of these. An old game that was pretty creepy was Zork Nemesis. It was probably tame compared to the ones listed, but I thought it was creepy.

I know I've played other creepy games, but I can't think of what they are at the moment.

• Add to the list: Zombi

https://youtu.be/c4ty6xIllB4

Scary as hell. You are a random survivor in London after an outbreak and have to travel around the ruined city, guided by a mysterious observer who is watching via CCTV cameras and is hacking doors for you. You're just an average person so even one zombie requires a lot of effort to kill, being swarmed means death. Your inventory is crucial, and if you die, you respawn back at the safe house as a different survivor, whose first order of business is to go and kill the now-zombified previous character and recover the backpack with all your items in it!

Cool story too, an ancient prophecy tied into the Tower of London. Some of the levels were as scary as Amnesia.

• Those who have Batman: Arkham Knight in their collection may want to play it on Oct. 31, since apparently a new Halloween-themed mission appears on that day.

Playing Alien: Isolation now but finding it way too frustrating and difficult. Guess it's for players who love to die and restart the level over and over again before getting anywhere. Often you die without even knowing why. So I could never recommend it. The setting and atmosphere are A+ though.

"you cannot light any torches which means your sanity will go down." Amnesia has a sanity meter? lol. That's brilliant!

• Ya it makes the game quite hard LOL

• What happens when your sanity gets too low? Do you start seeing things and becoming delusional?

• Your character starts to get dizzy, and your vision gets blurry. Soon enough you pass out and die.

• Good list. Only 2 of them I haven't played, Soma and Alien Isolation. I did get Soma on a steam sale, but haven't gotten around to play it yet, so might do that for Halloween then :).

Would recommend Fatal Frame/Project zero. Really liked the story in for example the second one and the third one. Found them to be "scarier" than many others in this list.

• Well, I like horror games, but not first person games, so some of them are definitely not my type. Anyway, very good Take :D

• Have you played Slender: The Arrival?

• I think so when I was younger, pretty scary actually haha. Would recommend that for most people, it's fun to watch people play.

• I've played it a few times. So hard to beat.

And yes, Resident Evil isn't scary, but I like it a lot :)

• Ahh dead space was sooo damn good. I remember that game on ps3. Great survival horror

No resident evil? Lol

• I have played Outcast and Amnesia while I have seen playthroughs of almost all of the others.

• I've played amnesia and I want to play the others, maybe on Halloween. But I've watched most of them at least a few times each so I'm pretty familiar with them.

• Yup. No point in a horror game if you know what to expect.

• Pretty much...

• i loved every part of F. E. A. R 1,2,3. and i also love dead space, but your forgetting the most horror game of all time, its name is P. T

• It was only a teaser so I didn't add it sadly, I wish they didn't cancel the actual game.

• Ohh didn't know that was a remake

• yeah it was a remake they were trying to make, P. T is a really old game

• interesting picks

• Silent Hill, Siren and Fatal Frame are my picks as well as the first few resident evil games.
    I never found the first person horror games to be any good, personally.

• Definitely something to look forward to. Wouldn't have thought of doing that, otherwise. lol I also like how I've heard of about half the list, and I do agree, Outlast is INSaNE (... no pun intended, surprisingly).

• I played alien isolation. It was so much fun and fear and mystery by the way it has a very tricky ending. I recommend "The evil within " too, why didn't you put this on your list?

• No Dying Light? I need more zombie games.

• The only zombie games I'd find a little scary is probably resident evil or the last of us.

• Penumbra is a good one.
    Cryostasis is a good one.

• Scary video games are like 100x scarier than movies so I prefer movies, I'll watch any horror movie you give me.

• Pfft until dawn. Some ass on youtube already spoiled that josh is the killer.

• It's only kind of a spoiler, there's actually a plot twist in a plot twist

• Ya try it out, there's multiple endings and you can actually save every person in the game.

• I wanna let them all die 😈

• I know its not a game but it still scared me Boku no pico

• But scary games are scary!

• More from Guys
    1