10 Fun Horror Movie Facts You Probably Didn't Know

1. Stolen R-Rating

See that R rating on the poster? Technically it's not actually rated at all. You see, Wes Craven was fed up with the MPA telling him to cut, cut, cut to the point where they had reduced the film to only 60 minutes in length. So he went to a buddy down the hall in another studio editing a war movie and asked if he could use his R rating. WES CRAVEN STOLE AN R RATING.

2. The First Flush

The first flushing toilet ever to appear on screen in American cinema was in the 1960 film Psycho.

3. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre nearly had a real homicide on set

During the filming of the famous dinner scene in the film, they were at the end of a 27-hour shoot and in the building it was around 120 degrees. At this point all the actors were actually delusional and when the line, "kill the bitch" was uttered, Gunnar Hansen was so out of it that he actually thought he had to kill Marylin Burns. He only stopped himself at the very last second.

4. Mother-Daughter Scream Queens

The lead Actress in Psycho, Janet Leigh, had a daughter with Tony Curtis and that daughter is Jamie Lee Curtis, who you should recognize as Laurie Strode, the protagonist of the Halloween franchise.

5. Screw the prop door...get a real one

During the filming of The Shining, they had to use a real door during the 'Here's Johnny!' scene because Jack Nicholson was a volunteer firefighter and kept cutting through the real one too fast.

6. Scary Shatner

The famous Michael Myers mask in the Halloween franchise was a Captain Kirk mask painted white.

7. Director charged for making a snuff film

The Cannibal Holocaust was one of the first found-footage films ever made, and the director ordered the actors not to come forward to preserve the illusion that it was real. Well, it got him charged with murder. The actors then came out of hiding to show they hadn't actually been killed...unlike several animals in the film.

8. Final Destination was originally a what?

Final Destination was based off of an unused script for the X-Files.

9. Real Camp

Friday the Thirteenth was filmed at a real summer camp in New Jersey that is still in operation.

10. Words never uttered

Despite being the title, the words "Elm Street" are never said in the original Nightmare on Elm Street.

#HappyHalloween

Waffles731 is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 18

Loved this!

Cool!

Hapy Halloween!

Lol I knew about the psycho one haha.

Im a little tipsy rigt now and the Kirk mask painted white nearly made me start crying :P

• 1d

well done-

Lovely mytake, I like all of these horror films.

This was fun to read :)

I didn t know anthng XD

Whhhaaaaatttttttt?
    I didn't kno any of those things!!!
    Super fun Take!!!

I knew all of these. Im a die hard horror fan and have spent years not only watching them but learning everything about them. Psycho broke a few rules and had a first with that toilet lol. Cannibal Holocaust is notorious for not only its disturbing scenes but the fact that a lot of people thought it was in fact a snuff film (this happened with the guinea pig series as well)
    Most horror fans especially of Halloween knows that Michael Myers has William Shatner's face 😆 Its kind of funny when you think about it. Jamie Lee and her mom Janet Leigh have even worked together. I always enjoyed that John Carpenter put Jamie in his horror movie knowing who her famous mom was. Screaming runs in the family lol.
    Another fact about A Nightmare On Elm Street is that Freddy was based off of two people from Wes Craven's childhood; a bully and a creepy homeless man who scared the crap out of him!
    Nice take 👍🏻

Your right I didn't know that

You always have such interesting MyTakes :)

That's interesting. I didn't know any of these things, so I learned a lot of things, with you.
    Thanks for sharing them.

Pretty cool things to learn more about. 😊

Oh wow that's do informative. I didn't know most of those. I always look forward to your Takes.

lol.

What Guys Said 12

Lol. Really fun facts. Especially about Final Destination. While technically not a horror movie, it is odd that Brandon Lee died during the making of his movie The Crow which I LOOOOOVE to death (pardon the pun). There's also a really gross horror called Human Centipede that wasn't allowed to be shown in most theaters because of it's morbid storyline of a psycho doctor sewing peoples' mouths to other people's anuses and thus them being linked into a 'human centipede.'

Bruce lee actually dreamed about his fathers, his own and his sons death

I can believe it since he was involved in a lot of Chinese mystical stuff. I mean, this man could do a handstand on his thumb. There's something REAAAALLY not right about that.

You have done your usual excellent job of educating me about absolutely useless things that are interesting and distract me from the current election news. :)

Final Destination was an unused script for the X-Files because it was too stupid to be an X-Files episode. ;)

very cool list. had no clue jamie lee curtis was the daughter of actors. and makes sense about final destination. definitely sounds like it could've been an x-files episode

Interesting, I knew some of those already though.

• 28d

Cannibal Holocaust is a very fucked up movie. It's crazy how some people I know cringed more about a turtle being killed then what happened to the people in that movie.

Speaking of which, an actual turtle was killed for that movie.

• 28d

They also killed a coatl and cut off a live monkeys face on camera and that last shot took three tries

Great

I didn't know most of these facts, very interesting, outstanding Take :D

I've never liked horror movies.

Cool 😀

Good stuff👍 Do you ever get up to SpookyWorld? Not too far from your neck of the woods. I think the people that put it on have done the special effects from some of the old classics, I think Texas Chainsaw Massacre was one of them. Definitely a good time, didn't make it this year, but I go up most years.

Really enjoyable take - So good points to point 7 you are correct I think "Snuff" is one of those dark "Urban" myths, to the best of my knowledge there has never been a verified "Snuff" film (but who knows what sick stuff exists on darknet and in rings so I won't say I am a 100% convinced for accuracy's sake) - I love the fact about "The Final Destination" being a "X File" script