Why Is Game Of Thrones So Good?

Why Is Game Of Thrones So Good?

I am certain every single one of you has heard of Game of Thrones. And for those of you who live under a rock and don't know what I'm talking about - it's a medieval-style fantasy TV series set in a fictional world, based on George R. R. Martin's A Song Of Ice And Fire. Although I prefer the books to the HBO version, I'll base this take on the series, since I think people tend to be more familiar with it.

1. Sex

This one is quite obvious I think - everybody loves sex. Game of Thrones, however doesn't just feature two people making out under a blanket. You get to see literally everything - both male and female homosexuality, group sex, infidelity, prostitution, public nudity, incest... I have never heard of another show that would show sex so shamelessly and in such variety. Besides, the vast majority of the actors we get to see naked are smoking hot - Emilia Clarke, Carice van Houten, Kit Harrington or Michiel Huisman; the list could go on for a while.

2. Characters

In my opinion, the depth of characters, their development and interaction with others is something that makes a show worth watching. Game of thrones has an astonishing number of characters with huge variety in them. There's people of all races, some are skinny, some are fat, some are tall and some are short. I think it's quite rare nowadays for actors with imperfections to be featured in leading roles of mainstream shows. And not a single character is half-assed. Even the less important characters each have a very unique personality. Take Jaime Lannister for example - he's not crucial to the story, he hasn't done anything that ground-breaking and he's just kind of there (my personal opinion). We all hated him in the first two seasons, but now he's adored by pretty much everyone. I also find it very intriguing how he instantly get's less likable when he's around Cersei. Which brings me to my next point:

3. Women

Don't get me wrong -I'm not a feminist (or at least I don't think I am), but I find the involvement and role of female characters in the story terrific. There's the good ones, like Daenerys, the bad ones like Cersei, and even the ones where you can't really tell, like Melisandre. These are chicks that are vital to the story while not necessarily being tied to a guy. However, shit stays real, I mean it is a mel dominated society after all. Dany knew she had to obey her older brother, Cersei had to marry Robert Baratheon to have any power what-so-ever, and Melisandre spent all of her on-screen time willingly serving men. I'm a huge fan of this because while the show features powerful women, they're not just there to please the fourth wave feminists, unlike Rae in SW VII and Jyn in Rogue One.

4. Death

Let's not lie to ourselves - we all love a bit of gore from time to time. Game of Thrones is one of the shows with the highest number of on-screen deaths ever, and they do tend to get quite vivid. You get burning, drowning, falling, magic and a LOT of the old fashioned death by sword, which is usually the coolest anyway (no, I'm not a psycho). What I also appreciate very much is that George R. R. Martin isn't afraid to kill his characters. The Starks, which were the center of the story in the first two seasons, were all killed off mercilessly. For every character that dies though, a new one is introduced, or an old one suddenly gets more attention. This keeps the story from ever being repetitive, and you never know which one of your favorite characters is gonna die next.

5. Dragons

I'm sure that the child inside every single one of us screamed of joy after seeing the dragons hatching. They're just so undeniably cool! But that's not all though, the series features a bunch of other supernatural things. There's the fireproof Targaryans, the children of the forest, the white walkers, Melisandre and her weird fire magic, assassins that change faces and probably some more awesome things that I couldn't think of. The greatest thing about all this is that these themes, although somewhat childish, are conveyed in a way that appeals to the adult audience

Bonus: Did anyone else notice that the two most amazing fantasy authors, J. R. R. Tolkien and George R. R. Martin both have those two R's in their names? The conclusion I draw from this is that if you wanna be a successful writer, just stick two R's in between your first and last name and voila.

828
JulieXO is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Most Helpful Guy

• I love this show, but I think it would be even better if they got straight to the point more often. The last seasons have been super slow, you gotta wait till the 7th or 8th episode for something interesting to happen. I know they're trying to create a nice build up, or just don't wanna jump in time too much, but some episodes just get too repetitive.
    But yeah, they have all the ingredients for an amazing show, and they have the budget too, and that's why it's one of the best shows ever (still not better than Vikings :P).

By the way, I think Spartacus had more "raw" sex. The sex scenes on that show felt like porn xD

• I agree with the last seasons being slow. They just gotta get as much money as possible, sadly

• Yeah, but now the last two seasons are gonna be only 7 episodes :/

• I think it is mostly a matter of "Dafaq do we do now?" rather than "Gotta raiz up dem cash" @JulieXO.
      That is what always happen when something is taken from something else. The books are way slower than the TV show, but it works, because, well, it is a book. I think the author are just trying their best being loyal to what the story has been so far (clarifying they had to invent a LOT during the sixth season), and that is why sometimes it gets a little bit boring.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yass, I'm the hugest GoT nerd. I've read the books twice, and am thinking about reading them again. The story is that good and the characters are that intriguing.
    Thoughts:
    1) I'd never seen that Oberyn still (not a huge show watcher of the first couple seasons)
    2) I think I worship Drogon above all other characters at this point
    3) You're on to something with the names.
    4) I think the show has made mistakes ex) The Dornish 'plot' and randomly changing things that added to the plot ex) Rob's wife dying and her family not being schemers playing into Lannister hands and feeding her moontea (poor gal). but the good outweighs the bad, and it's such an amazing story.

Sponsored

Join the discussion

What Guys Said 27

• Because it feeds on humanity's 4 greatest desires/traits.

1. Lust
    2. Greed
    3. Ambition
    4. Curiosity

And also unlike most fantasy books, novels etc, Game of Thrones is closer to reality and how it would have actually been back in the middle/medieval ages. And that makes it different and refreshing compared to other shows of the same genre it takes a different approach.

• It's definitely one of the best series of all times, despite the fact they occasionally exaggerate in some things.

• My middle name starts with an R. Better get a second middle name...

When I first saw the title I thought you were asking people a question on why they thought it was good and you were going to say you didn't like it. I was going to be heartbroken.

Did you have a favorite episode? Mine was battle of the basterds. Best battle in a tv show or movie I think I've ever seen.

• Yeah, the title isn't the greatest :D. I don't have a favorite episode, but I love Arya's and Tyrion's story line.

• It's certainly becoming my favorite TV series of all time. You forgot to mention the politics. The political intrigue and scheming is largely why it has kept my interest

• Sorry to say that #4=- death and gore--are the heart of the show. They put in sex to ee the audience coming back, but it's mostly the disemboweling, etc. that get people to watch.

• From what I've heard about the show its mostly a huge feast of eye candy. xD I'm pretty sure I'm going to stick to the book and avoid the Tv show. ( I got a really young niece living with me so its a little early to be showing her that stuff. )

• The biggest reason is that it feels real. Real in the sense that anything can happen. There's isn't really any character that feels like they have an invisible shield of protection around them because they're the only main character.

Though of course the reasons you mentioned help too.

• I think the thing Game of Thrones really has going for it is how non standard it is. Up until recently (I'm looking at you, Battle of the Bastards) the stories haven't worked the same way they normally do in fantasy worlds. The good don't always win, the underdog doesn't always come out on top, sometimes things are messed up for no other reason than the character are insane (RIP Theon). Te show has power because when you finally think the story is going to reach its climax, and the charismatic good guy is going to emerge victorious, Prince Oberon gets his face smashed, and the Mountain is turned into a zombie. The only other series I've seen that comes close to Game of Thrones in this respect is The Dagger and the Coin, which I highly recommend. It is a book series though, with no TV adaptation.

• Could not agree more. Hands down the greatest show on TV right now, and definitely in my top 3 of all time

• I think number two is especially the reason that GoT as well as the book series that its based off of are so successful. That AND The fact that it basically takes lord of the rings and all the typical fantasy stories and says no. that's not how it works really. the bad guys often win over those who deserve it. innocent people suffer. people back then lived in a world where any day in their life could easily be there last whether they were a king a knight or a peasent.

but yeah if you read the books each chapter is from the perspective of a different character which is really awesome. they're very complex people and as soon as you're like oh ok this is the good guy then suddenly they do something messed up and vice versa. Though based on the last season it seems like this story might end up having a happy ending in the end

• Lol , it's actually not that good. Only reason is #1 sex.
    Breaking Bad is far far better than this fantasy

• I certainly like the show, I think sex scenario reflex ancient Europe but I think
    HBO make it on different meaning.
    https://youtu.be/EUBiOOx0Pxw

• Yup yup. Although I stopped watching it at season 2 for now, gonna pick it up again before the new season starts, it's definitely one to get hooked easily.

• I hated this show from the start but it's mostly because you can't connect to any characters because they will die right after you do

• I don't know, I couldn't even get past the first 5 episodes.
    But I have to applaud them for coming up with the most unlikable characters ever portrayed on a tv show, but for me that is something that makes the show utterly unwatchable.

• As far as I'm concerned, it's the best show EVAH! Of all the lovely ladies on the show, my personal favorite is Missandei.

• i stopped watching it. i completely lost interest.

• Did you really argue that danaerys is a good guy? I mean she has some good ideas but lets be real she is seriously fucked up and power hungry... I mean I respsect her but she isn't a good person.

• Sure. But it's just a show. [shrug]

• I've never seen it nor do I have use for such nonsense

• More from Guys
    7

What Girls Said 7

• It's one of only a few series that can take you from hating a character to loving them. And Cersei... oh man, Cersei. I hate her. Wanted her to die from book one and I realized in book 5 that she scares me and that's part of why I hate her so much. If she has a positive it's that she fiercely loves her kids and would do anything for them, and she makes me question what I would do for my kids and to make sure that they are safe. She's horrible, no doubt, but she is bad. Arya, this girl I wish we would get more of once she gets older. I love her spirit, and defiance. Brienne, I like that chick. Ygritte, I want to be her if I had to be anyone and no it isn't because Jon Snow gives that awesome tongue thing.

Oh man, I should stop. I'm getting carried away. 💚GOT.

• Ya never know who gonna die next. That's why I watch it. Turn on the newest episode and as it starts, "All right, motherfuckers, who gonna die today?" I read the books so I had some clue, but now, I'm fucked.

• I love game of thrones. I hope Jon wins it all. Even though he's stubborn as hell and needs to listen to Sansa more often. There is a few people that I wouldn't mind if they won. Tyrion, he will be a good ruler. Sansa, I love how she grew as a character and she learned from her mistakes. She went from a naive girl to a badass leading an army of ten thousand men and then she killed her abusive husband. Daenerys would also be good. Hopefully she's not like her father.

• I change my mind. I want Tyrion to win it all. I think Jon fighting Ramseys large army with his tiny army made me lose faith in him. Hopefully he learns from it.

• All the best reasons, it's one of my favorite shows too :)

• Eh, I'll stick to a more lighthearted fantasy story.

• i think most watch it for sex scenes

• YES! I was late to the show due to being busy, but I am an addict now. I've started the books and they are SO good!

People who love fantasy/action should also check out "The Magicians" ... that book series is phenomenal and the show has its first season on Netflix.