I love Jazz but hate Louis Armstrong's voice, what's wrong with me?

I love Ella to the moon and back. And I love a good jazz standard. But I avoid any duet or Armstrong hit. Am I insane. I'm currently listening to Dream a Little Dream of Me-Ella and Louis. Training to appreciate a legend.

Am I crazy?

• You are no true jazz lover
    40% (2)0% (0)14% (2)Vote
  • You can still keep your jazz wings
    60% (3)100% (9)86% (12)Vote
  • Who is Louis Armstrong?
    0% (0)0% (0)0% (0)Vote
  • Who is Ella Fitzgerald (I know I'm going to hell)
    0% (0)0% (0)0% (0)Vote
And you are? I'm a GirlI'm a Guy

0|0
0|6

Most Helpful Guy

• Then why not listed to his older records where he doesn't sing, like the "Red Hot 3's and 5's".

1|1
    0|0
    • good point. he's got tons of music where he doesn't sing or only sings sparingly

• I should have mentioned I love his other work besides singing. Good thought though.

What Guys Said 5

• I love Louie and his voice is definitely unique but not for everyone. I don't think it makes you less of a jazz person because you dislike his voice. It's just a matter of preference.

Do you like Billie Holiday? On my list of great classic Jazz vocalist it's Billie, Sara Vaughn and Ella

0|0
    0|0
    • Yes, I love all three. :)
      Lullaby of Birdland-Sara Vaughn is one of my favorite songs.

• I'm a huge fan of Louis Armstrong, but I can understand why some people wouldn't prefer his style. Here are two of my favorites, one from Armstrong (his last song before he died) and another from Billie Holiday.

https://youtu.be/RMxRDTfzgpU

https://youtu.be/XZHzuG3j0hw

0|1
    0|0
    • billie is the greatest. I listen to her anticipating how she's going to sing the next word, phrase, verse.

• I've never heard the mix of the Billie Holiday song you shared. It's wonderful.

Even though, I'm personally not a fan of his voice, I appreciate the music and the lyrics especially.

• no you are not mad, his voice was unusual, to some probably sounds like a gruff cheese grater!!

1|0
    0|0
  • As I have studied you and your delusional qualities in-depth... yes I can admit you are indeed cray-cray:P Louis Armstrong's voice is ok but its sounds like he's dying half the time... lets put some berry white on that bby!

0|1
    0|0
  • Some people you just don't like. There's nothing wrong with that. However, make sure you're not liking them for a GOOD reason, not a bad one, such as race

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 0

No girls shared opinions.