Do think that belly dancing is a seductive dance that objectifies women or an empowering celebration of the female body and all its fertility?

• Seductive dance that objectifies women
  • Celebration of the female body and all its fertility
  • Other
    Vote C
Select a gender to cast your vote:

511

Most Helpful Guy

• I never really thought about it, I just thought it was rather sensual

Most Helpful Girl

• neither. it's just a dance. for women, by women.

reading the history of belly dance, it was designed as a test more than anything. brides-to-be would dance it among themselves and the guy's mother as a test of how strong her pelvic muscles were for popping babies. the guys would never see the dance. they weren't supposed to. of course, that changed somewhere down the line.

What Guys Said 10

• Belly dance is just a dance. An art, a creativity, a culture with nearly 5000 years history.

I don't believe in none of the statements above. It has nothing to do with empowerment nor objectifying of women.

I assume you bringing this logic just because "Belly Dance" sounds pleasurable and involves body moves and costumes that show off the body and such factors. But this is not the reason to be super bad or super good.
    It's a dance with lots of beauty, talent, creativity and hard-work in it. I see nothing else inside it.

• It's art. Plain and simple.

• i personally think its just a dance but if you look at it like that i would say both i can see the objectification and i can also see the empowering of womens fertility part it all depends how you wish to look at it

• Neither, I just find it very attractive.

• There is nothing objectifying about belly-dancing! Option B all the way.

• I think that's it's a dance. that's it. I don't think it's empowering unless it's how you attract mates like animals. but I think humans give more meaning to meaningless things like time.

• I think its belly dancing. You're putting waaayyy too much thought into it.

• It's both seductive and a celebration! I love seeing it.

• Sounds like a trap. The options given are kind of social justicey.

• i think someone has wayyyy too much of a fixation on this subject. this is what your like 50th question on this topic?

What Girls Said 4

• I think it is just a type of dance just like ballet, jazz, and hip hop are all different types of dances.

• Often, the women who are belly dancing like the dance. It's origins come from the celebration of a woman's body.

• She's celebrating her womanhood.

• both.