What's wrong with real girls? Aren't they better than Photoshop fantasies?

What's wrong with real girls?  Aren't they better than Photoshop fantasies?

I've never been a fan of tabloid girls; even as a teenager, I wasn't fascinated by Playboy or similar magazines the other guys hid from their parents. I don't know the names of Victoria Secret models, and I don't go to porn sites. Nor do I follow female movie stars, or read the entertainment sites, except to get movie reviews.

I prefer to check out girls in the Internet cafe working away, or sit outside, AWAY from Wifi, and watch them walk by a netfree cafe. I do know the names of the girls who work in the local coffee shop, and the owner. Sometimes I am inappropriate with the attractive girls there, and the owner lets me know it, but at least those are REAL girls.

I enjoy going to fashion sites when looking for gifts for my wife or female friends, and appreciate the girls there. Of course, they are also models, but the most successful of the casual and everyday clothing sites often prefer to use their own employees as models, 'regular' girls as it were, for the logical reason that shoppers want to know how they will look in the pictured clothing, and having super well endowed models would turn them away. The 'regular' girl knows she wouldn't look like that. It's about selling clothing, not about making the model famous.

The media creates unrealistic expectations of beauty from such an early age, that we often lose the ability to see the actual beauty of everyday girls all around us, all the time.

martyfellow is a GirlsAskGuys Editor
Who are Editors?

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 10

• that's a nice take

• Guys like the unrealistic models due to the fantasy of it. Not sure how many guys would trade women u see everyday with the unrealistic ones. Then some women dream of looking like them.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRlpIkH3b5I

• I agree with you ! I couldn't have said it any better especially with the last few lines.

• First take? Good job! 😊

• I agree that photoshopping to just show the ideal is bad but you need to realise that ALL online stores and catalogue models are photoshopped even to a small degree because the truth of it is no one wants to buy a dress that doesn't even flatter the model

• Sure, but still, you can tell when they are using their employees as opposed to a professionalmodel.
      I think people want to know how they will look in the clothes if they aren't rail-thin like most professional models.

• This Take explains my viewpoint. Real actual girls look better than a crappy Photo edit. Simple Take, but it explores complex ideas

• I loved this!! Thank you so much! I'm a model off & on myself, & sometimes bringing out the appeal in being "real" is hard.

• Great Take Marty! I agree with every word 👍😊

• YES!!! Your wife must be so happy.
    I particularly hate that they use photoshopped and surgically enhanced women to model clothes online. And I can't shop for sexy nightwear online because I don't know how it will look on me. Yeah, that corset looks great on her, but how will it look with my lack of breast implants?
    So frustrating. If they used more realistic women, it'd be so much easier to shop online...

• The most succesful sites often use their own employees, 'regular' girls mostly who aren't enhanced, as models..just so that shoppers 
      can have a reliable indicator as to what
      the clothes would look like on them

• Nice to think some guys share your views. Good take.

• It's encouraging when you Aussie girls approve. So much more sensible than most in the USA

What Guys Said 10

• I am very much an advocate of real women in real life. I don't fall into the "tabloid pics of women are so gorgeous!" thing at all.

Even when it comes to porn, mainstream porn stars don't do much for me (although Sasha Grey is really cute for a former porn star). I'm more into amateur, watching real-life women do naughty things is SO much more arousing!

• Chuckle, yes, isn't it? Wish they'd do them more, would undercut the porn industry!

• I can't name the last time I intentionally watched a porn video with a "professional" in it!

• "we often lose the ability to see the actual beauty of everyday girls all around us, all the time."

BINGO.

And guys have all these images shoved in our faces of "this is sexy" "no, this is sexy" and it's all looks. Looks, looks, looks. And then it comes to guys and it is all serving some sort of function. Like playing pokemon or with baseball cards. People see guys and the look for stats. Functions. Competitions. Comparisons.

All of this erodes a man's sense of chemistry. It flattens not only our perception of women, but of our own value. A lot of guys don't have a strong concept of simply being "desired." We feel like we are supposed to fill some NEED in order to have value. GoodMenProject wrote a great article on this: http://tinyurl.com/march5v

If we can learn to simply appreciate the beauty of people around us, rather than seeing a mere appearance or function, you find a lot more inherent value in yourself as well. Plus, you don't HAVE to be attracted to someone to enjoy being around them. Keep that in mind, too.

• Fantasy is always better than reality.

• Chuckle, only in our minds!

• I suppose so. I'm not just talking about girls though. The highlight of my day is normally made up. Lol

• I agree with you, but overalls are just disgusting. Seriously, I know basically nothing about fashion, but ew.

• I agree with this take but I am really attracted to those unrealistic girls (even the non-human or fantasy ones).

Maybe it's just me, but those girls are like a guy's wet dream. An average guy tend to feel a little bit unsecured in front of women he likes. He'd feel like a frog looking at the princess. Those unrealistic things allows a guy to feel a bit closer to his fantasy without the risk of getting caught in a rejection and, more importantly, learn how to do the mating dance of human when you are closer to a frog.

This is also the same reason why a lot of average men seek out high class escorts and sugar babies. For a brief moment, his fantasy becomes real and he can forget everything about his frog-like life.

• NOthing wrong with pure fantasy, manga and things like that, no. But if we really think those models are real, we have problems. Once you see them in street clothes without makeup, what a shock

• That woman in the stock photo is far from regular. She is quite comfortably attractive, which means well above the average. True, she's not a Playboy model (not even Playboy models are Playboy models), but she's not an average woman.

• I'm with you on this, in fact I have seen women who have had some "work" done and while they are not photoshopped they are plastic shopped, and while there is some degree of attraction there, I would never pursue them because quite honestly they don't look real, and I want to date a woman who when I look at her I see her for who she is rather than what she believe everybody else things she "should" look like. A woman with imperfections is fine by me, after all I'm certainly not perfect so I will never demand perfection from others.

• No, fantasy girls are better than real life ones--that's why its fantasy. Since when has fantasy ever been worse than real life? In fantasy I can have anything I want, be whoever I want, be with whomever I want, and do anything I want. Real life is far more disappointing in every facet, including with women.

• Yeah i also find real, every day life women, look nicer than those photoshopped women.

I dont find most famous celebrity/hollywood women attractive, when on the street i mostly see way more beautiful girls. Perhaps cuz you see them in real life

• Yeah the media creates unrealistic expectations of beauty. I can't disagree with that. It's either perfect curves or being damn near anorexic. That said I think it's disrespectful to call models, pornstars, movie stars, etc. fake. Sure some of them get plastic surgery but that doesn't mean they are still women. You make it sound like they are monsters and the women you see on your day to day aren't. To each their own but I like women just in general. The "photoshopped" ones included.

• I don't put them down, I just prefer the real girls, and OBSESSION with VS models is pretty unhealthy.

• Sorry, it does make them a little fake. It's one thing if it's a wedding photo or something where we all know it's enhanced, but if they present this photoshopped version as a real picture of themselves to all of us, well, sorry, that's FAKE.

• Most girls aren't going to parade their pictures as being real. Who the hell does that?

Let's agree to disagree. You like girls who aren't famous (and apparently girls who wear suspenders) and I like girls just in general.