The Difference Between "Cute" and "Hot"

I've seen this asked so many times and I've often wondered it myself. I've always thought I had a pretty good understanding of it, however I've been described as being both before by different people to the point that it really is up for personal interpretation.

I used to hear girls talk about Zac Efron being cute. Don't hear it that much anymore though. It's the image. Cute is more childlike, warm, fun...Might even fall into the category of a "nice guy". He's caring, approachable, friendly, and an all round good guy.

But now? Girl's might refer to Zac Efron as being hot. He's got a completely different image. It's the 'bad boy' look; manly, dominant, not as warm as before, to the point of being slightly cold. Slightly dangerous, intimidating, unpredictable...but exciting. Not the type a guy a girl will be dreaming about marrying, but the type of guy a girl will lust over.

The same applies to the ladies. Take Miranda Kerr. Warm, friendly, innocent. Approachable, a good role model, respectable. Typical wifey material. She's cute.

But how about in this picture? Intimidating, far more sexual, definitely not warm and innocent. Role model? Don't think so. But with that being said? Exciting? Yes. More likely to turn guys on? 100%. She's hot.

The simple fact is people can be either, no one is either one or the other. It all depends on how you wish to present yourself. Warm and approachable? Or Sexy and exciting? That really is what it comes down to. Most guys will be happy to be called 'hot', in fact we'll far prefer it to being called 'cute' as cute doesn't coincide with the dominant ideals of masculinity.

Women, on the other hand, often won't appreciate being called 'hot' from guys as they'll consider it as overtly sexual. But the thing is, you choose how you want to be perceived. I'm sure most guys wouldn't call Miranda in the first pic 'hot', but wear revealing clothing and look sexy and people who find you attractive will consider you to be 'hot' whether you like it or not.

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit

What Girls Said 13

• 13d

Extremely well said.
    I agree with the whole Zac Efron thing, he's a good example.

• 2d

good share

• 3d

well donee

• 7d

I've always thought of "cute" as being nice to look at, while "hot" means you don't want to stop looking. Also, "hot" implies the presence of sexiness, while someone can be cute but not sexy.

• 8d

@aurora_v
    check this out :P

• 12d

I always wanted to know what's the difference between "hot" and "cute". But now, I know.
    And I agree with everything you said.

• 12d

I can totally agree with this, as I've been described as both. My coworkers call me Switch, because I'm adorable at work, then a completely different person when I go out. But it's fun! I like how easy it is to change my image at the drop of a hat.

• 13d

great Mytake! I've noticed ed it too!

• 13d

For me cute is when someone look younger than his age and we want to protect him / take care of him and sexy it's when your sexually attracted by someone.

• 13d

What do you consider makes a more attractive partner? Would you want to protect your guy?

• 13d

I like someone with a cute face but who is assertive. if someone say bad about him or critic him of course I will

• 13d

Totally true, great mytake.👌

• 13d

To me they still mean the person is attractive. It's just different words with the same meaning.

• 13d

This is exactly why I hate it when people call me cute.

• 14d

hot is more sexually noted and cute is like way less sexual but still atractive

What Guys Said 6

• 8d

Cute = I want to date
    Hot = I want to hook up

• 8d

been there done that. it's very easy to switch between two
    cute: family pics in sweaters
    hot: body pics with photoshop.

• 11d

Tbh Zac looks better before lol.

There's such a thing as not being lean and just too muscular at some point (depending on your general height etc).

As for the Victoria's secret model, she looks very pretty, but tbh she's just semi naked in one picture. I think hot is more a temporary word used for the present. Someone who is cute can be hot. E. g. a sweet friend who is pretty can be hot in the bedroom.

I think cute is actually the real hot.

Can u help me out btw? www.girlsaskguys.com/.../q2182612-how-d-a-woman-act-around-these-guys-do-they-allow-some-men-to-get

• 13d

well I'm cute lol that what they tell me

• 13d

Cute is someone you want in the short term and the long term. Hot is ok for short term but not usually long term.

• 14d

I don't like to be described as hot or cute. Cute is demeaning/childish and hot is sexual. I prefer being described as beautiful or good looking.