Wearing Thongs-Promiscuous or Practical?

Ok, so there's a lot of contraversy over women wearing thongs. 14-year-old boys who love seeing them on girls in Maxim turn into 44-year-old men with daughters that age & who cringe to find the bubblegum pink strip of cloth in the laundry, knowing it's definitely not his wife's. His head races with all the things she could be doing that those girls did with him back in his high school and college days. Or at least I'm guessing that's what goes through any dad's mind, or any young man who expects a daughter someday.

It's obvious there's sex appeal that comes with them. After all, thongs became mainstream when strippers were required by law to cover their coochie, but nothing said anything about covering the cheeks. Hence, "loin cloths" offered a loophole, & became a feminine thing to wear after strippers brought them into light.

So are thongs really that taboo for young girls to wear? Personally, I wouldn't let my daughter wear a thong until she's 15. But there is some practicality to thongs for any woman, even the purest, most innocent girl. Thongs serve for the avoidance of tacky panty lines, or where the seams bulge out at the butt of your pants. This especially happens with nice slacks or yoga pants, and personally, when I see it on a girl, I can't help but think, "Don't you own a thong?" It just doesn't look good.

If thongs are absolutely too much for someone, I can understand seamless, but let's admit, I & many girls feel cute in a thong. I mean, you get to show off what your mama gave ya, even if it's just within the confines of your pants! Like a little secret you've got; doesn't have to be Victoria's!

So thongs...practical or promiscuous? A bit of both. But it goes with the attitude regarding how & why you wear them. Whale tail? Trying too hard. A nice surprise for your boyfriend? No doubt he'll love it! And even just keeping it classy underneath yogas or snug-fitting slacks is a-ok too. Whatever you decide, play it up with different colors & designs, doesn't hurt to make it fun. :)

Join the discussion

0/2500

Submit
Sponsored

What Guys Said 21

• The less I know about my daughter's underwear - the happier I am. I don't even do my own laundry, much less theirs

• I like those hip brief things whatever they're called. Seem both sexy and practical.

• I believe it's situational. Clothing (or lack, thereof) doesn't make you promiscuous. Your actions do. Your actions define who you are as a person, whether you're good or bad; whether you are kind or not. How you present yourself is a mere matter of comfort.

• I can't imagine those pucker rubbing cords to be comfortable in any way.

• They don't necessarily go up your anus.

• OK. I never inspected it closely. I know what my wife says. LOL

• yes they do go up your ass crack and there are multible bad implications of this. it is bad for your hygiene and can cause fistulas (men seem to be especially prone to those cause their ass is more likely hairy). i wouldn´t recommend them to anybody really.

• The underwear your teenage daughter is wearing is an affect, not a cause, of her outlook/behavior.

• A lot of women I personally know who wear thong underwear, are fairly promiscuous - that's my experience. If she has a tramp stamp to match, then you can count on it. However, I don't personally know every single women who wears thong underwear, so it's a hard call. I'd say a little of both...

• One female friend of mine said that she always wears them because they don't show lines on her jeans.
    Another one said that she never could wear them coz they're uncomfortable.

Well, personally I don't think it's much of an up or down. If I love Her already, then it might be a turn-on :)

• Practical? Most girls I know say they're uncomfortable and "dry things out". The only reason they wear them is to not go commando in yoga pants or leggings.

• Um no, the whole point of thongs is to get rid of panty lines, and I don't have that issue cuz I'm a dude.

• I'm Australian. Came into this wondering how footwear can be seen as promiscuous. I see we are talking underwear, I'm happy.

• What do you call thong panties in Australia? And I believe you're referring to the footwear we call 'flip flops' in the US... No wonder no one takes us seriously.

• Thongs are sexy and a turn on

• I found that thongs are really comfortable. I work outside in the heat all day. Boxers bunch up and tighty whities are not much better. People say they are like having a wedgie all they time. NOT TRUE! Best of all, the make me feel sexy. What is wrong with men wanting to feel sexy. Americans are to hung up with what is suppose to be the norm.

• Practical. I have 2 daughters 16 and 21. They both are thong wearers and I support them in that.

They are practical and make them feel good.

I am fine with it and support it as a dad.

• my ex wore thongs, just was more of a turn on for me

• When I see a thong, I think wedgie. No, Not attractive. Leave a little something for imagination.

• I think that they are a way of saying that "I am not my mother" ... I think they are a way of expressing yourself that only you know about. I personally think they are great looking and are great under tight jeans...

• depends on who u ask.. but i like the schoogirl look on a agirl and thongs just ruin it.

• Hell Ya I totally agree with ya Beautiful !!!

• Its hard for me to say since I don't have any kids, but I don't see what the problem is, its only underwear. Shit, even me as a guy wears mens thongs from time to time, because my girlfriend like ass more than me apparently.

• I don't care for them. Thongs aren't hot to me. Panty lines are sexy as fuck. I mean what the point? Everyone will still know what kind of underwear you have on anyway

• More from Guys
    1

What Girls Said 30

• Stupid...
    And unpractical.

• I Just don't get it why you got those downs.. Perhaps they were expecting more explanation, but still...

• Maybe to some it's practical and to others it's unpractical...
      I'm the latter...
      Mostly I think it's because they're so desperate to look perfect (no visible panty line) that they'd rather have something between their butt cheeks while they walk then feel comfortable.
      Yep, I think that's it.

• i think making thongs taboo to your daughter is just as bad as making sex before marriage and wearing skirts and push up bras and drinking alcohol and everything else taboo. nothing should be treated as taboo, it should be treated as something that can be appropriate if done correctly or in an acceptable way. when i was like 14 or 15 i was shopping for bras and underwear with my mom and i wanted a pushup bra that came with thongs attached to it (because we were at walmart lol) and we happened to run into a girl and her mom that my mom and i knew from my catholic school. after we passed them and they were out of earshot, my mom told me i should be so embarrassed of myself carrying around a pushup bra and thongs in front of these people, imagine what they must think of me. so instead i started going commando and tried shoving socks in my bras because i felt like shit trying to buy this stuff. like seriously, there are worse things than thongs. girls who wear them so the world can see them i. e. whale tale? gross. but if it's to avoid panty lines or for a guy you're seeing or just because they make you feel hot then why not?

• I agree totally.
      Are you a Catholic?
      If you are I wonder if you could answer some questions for me.
      It's more about Catholic guys I think, but I'm not too sure.
      You can M me if you prefer on that.
      :)

• I think creating the taboo for your teenage daughter is the wrong way to go. She's going to get one anyway, probably more likely to if you forbid it. Teens need rules and boundaries and no matter what you do there are going to be some battles. I just don't think underwear should be one of them. My theory is this- it's your butt, wear what you want. Wearing a thong doesn't mean you're sexually promiscuous any more than wearing full panties means you aren't...

• Gentlemen: would you wear thongs... I mean, they do make them for men, so, if they're practical for women, they're practical for men, too, right? No panty lines like those unsightly men's briefs. No bunching up like boxers. Now, are they slutty, sure, I wouldn't let my son wear them before he turns 15, that's for sure.

• testicles are lowered and raised depending on the temperature to keep them cool or warm. if you wear a thong you tuck them to your body, which might influence spermatocoa production. so i´d not wear them!

• I do wear thongs for men. been wearing them since 13.

• @bruins_fan_525 there are people who´ve been smoking since they´re 13. just cause you got away with it without harm, doesn´t mean it´s good for you.

• Thongs are like a rare occasion thing for me, they're really uncomfortable so wearing them frequently is unthinkable. But they do make me feel hawt so I'm all for em' :-)

• Thongs are ridiculously comfortable (to me). I also wear leggings a lot and dance apparel, along with work out clothing, so I wouldn't want scrunched up wedgies up my butt crack and constantly have to unattractively pick at it.

A lot of girls say that thongs aren't comfortable because it feels like a permanent wedgie. Not true for all thongs. Yeah, sure, maybe those itchy frilly lace ones might be uncomfortable to wear for most people, but ones like the yoga thong from Victoria's Secret are heavenly.

• How about neither?
    Wearing a thong doesn't make a slut but come on, they're not practical either. They provide no barrier between your pants and your butt, you know what underwear is supposed to do and they're terribly uncomfortable, it's like having a wedgie all day, I don't know how they ever became popular

• cuz their skimpy and "sexy"

• I find thongs uncomfortable, the fabric is too thick between my cheeks haha. But g-strings are pretty comfy. You can't even tell they are there. I actually like them more than the cheeky underwear.
      And I know what you mean about no barrier. I only use them with yoga pants, dress pants, tight dresses, etc. Not with jeans. And I never wear them when I'm on my period.

• im commenting on the slut part

• this was well thought out, and well written, i agree with most of your points, and would like to add, many dresses that i own are made of materiel that clings just enough to show off panty lines, and thongs are nice for that too

• Whatever is cute I'm throwing it on! Haha

• I've worn thongs since HS.
    It took a little getting used to the wedgie. HH
    Once I got over that, thongs are the only thing I wear, if anything.

• I would let my daughter wear them at any age. They're the same as any other underwear and putting an age limit on them makes them seem cool and adventurous. When she asks I'll get her one, because she'll just get one without my knowing. The only way I child in underwear is sexy, is if you make it sexy. An I don't so I've taken the thong stigma away. Its just underwear

• Practical! I bought my first one when I was 13, when leggings first came out again. I used to throw it in the washer after my Mom already started it, and volunteered to run down and get the laundry out of the dryer. I'm sure she suspected something haha.
    I still only use them with tighter clothes though, never jeans. I have sensitive skin and jeans give my butt cheeks a rash haha.

• Thongs are so fucking uncomfortable, feels like you have a horrible wedgie. Tried one on once and I'm never going to wear one again, I honestly don't care if people see my underwear at least I'm wearing some.

• Never given it much thought. Underwear is underwear. I wear what I like and what feels comfortable, not what I think guys would like. As for my daughters, I'll deal that can of worms when they become teenagers.

• They're just practical. If I had a daughter, it's not at all my business what kind of underwear she owns. I remember when I was 13 I was so embarrassed of the panty lines that packaged panties gave me that I went to target and secretly bought a thong so my parents wouldn't find out. I don't think it should even be the parent ' business what kind of underwear their children wear...

• I hate thongs but I hate ugly panty lines more, I've never had the issue of my thong riding up to be visible over my pants and I only own like four, three of which my mom bought me when she got me some expensive yoga leggings. Basically as thick as yoga pants but not flared at the bottom, I hate when people wear thin cotton leggings as pants though! gotta be the thicker spandex ones! My mom thought panty lines were more suggestive than discreetly wearing a thong and I'd agree with her.

• Thongs are uncomfortable to wear to school or work during the day, but they are quite sexy to wear around my husband at night because it shows my plump ass.

• Thongs are just underwear, except more revealing. Nobody that I know young or old wears their underwear past their belly button. So I don't see the hype about it.

• It's not promiscuous at all cause it's not made to be promiscuous. They're not made to be worn alone, you wear them under your clothes. So when your future daughter asks for one, unless you're sexually attracted to her it really shouldn't concern you

• I find them neither promiscuous not practical, just really uncomfortable.

• More from Girls
    10